Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

Solli wrote: »
    Does anyone actually know someone in Co Limerick who has been tested? A family member is waiting for 7 days now, referred last Saturday.
    Looks like very few tested so far in Limerick apart from healthcare workers.

Hi,
    I'm not a health care worker. I called the Limerick HSE helpline on Friday 13th at lunchtime with my symptoms(this was before you had to call the GP to book a test), got a call Sat 5.20am that an ambulance was coming to test me in an hour. Subsequently , I got a call that he had run out of test kits and I was invited to be tested up at Le Cheile School on Sat. morning (9.30 approx). I got my result on Friday 20th March (negative thank God)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Are there any outlets still selling protective masks and gloves in town?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

chicorytip wrote:
    Are there any outlets still selling protective masks and gloves in town?

Hardware stores if they are still open are probably best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Cartman78 wrote: »

I've never understood the attraction of Kilkee at all but to be drawn out there these days seems bizarre but still probably slightly less problematic than the hoards of people wandering around B&Q, Harvey Norman etc.

Aside from the long beach walk, there are two spectacular walks (Cliff Walk and Georges head) off both sides of Kilkee. I kinda agree with you in respect of the town itself but these two walks are quite spectacular. Now I suspect that not too many of the masses there last weekend were heading for these walks, although the Cliff Walk is very popular.

Its the same all over the country, spring is coming and we were couped up all February and people are itching for fresh air. Glendalough had to close the car park and Banna Beach in Kerry was also closed due to large numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 eimear.ryan94

The lack of cases in Limerick definitely is due to lack of tests.. I know a few waiting over 5 days to be issued an appointment. But it’s putting some people at piece of mind it’s not higher as well. We just need to keep social distancing as much as possible to flatten the curve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Heard that the owner of a shop in Moyross was warned that if the shop is locked down that they'll break into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

It will take a rise in deaths before people start to take this seriously. Lots of people out and about yesterday. Time to lock the place down.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭fran38

Any barbers still operating lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

fran38 wrote: »
    Any barbers still operating lads?

Most likely not, avoiding them myself. Going to be scruffy, jokes going around about women's salons is that the virus is going to take a lot of blondes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Buy a Wahl or similar before the shops shut down.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I'd rather have the hair instead of being shaven - wasnt a good look for me in second year in Clements, never mind now!

You don't have to shave your head - get someone in your household to trim it for you (if there is such a person).

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Bowl and scissors. The government can give a haircut guide like North Korea. Different sized bowls maybe.

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Stay safe people. Nature also does have a way to help you protect yourself.
    https://oand.org/uncategory/top-ten-natural-anti-viral-agents/
    It's ridiculous to think that any of this would help, imo.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Mc Love wrote: »
    I'd rather have the hair instead of being shaven - wasnt a good look for me in second year in Clements, never mind now!

I know a few fellas who shaved the head for charity but the problem was it didn't grow back!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

No fear of that Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Mc Love wrote: »
    No fear of that Dan

I took the scissors to the fringe the other night.
    The missus says I look like the fella who plays the tin whistle in the chieftains, Paddy Moloney, now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Esel wrote: »

Why?
    Do you know how medicine is being made? It is made exactly from what nature provide. There is no magic in your pill box but extracts from fruits, leaver, roots and flowers...

Why?
    Do you know how medicine is being made? It is made exactly from what nature provide. There is no magic in your pill box but extracts from fruits, leaver, roots and flowers...
    Are the Chinese doctors using traditional Chinese 'medicines' to fight the current virus, or are they using modern science and modern drugs?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Why?

Yes you are so right, I mean look at one of the drugs being mentioned as a possible treatment - Hydroxychloroquine. It's just fruits and weeds with your logic:

Hydroxychloroquine sulfate, Dibasic Calcium Phosphate, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Magnesium Stearate, Polyethylene glycol 400, Polysorbate 80, Starch, Titanium Dioxide.

I don't know about you but I've never seen a multipack of any of those things in the fruit & veg aisle..have you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Why?

There is no vaccine to COVID-19 and this BS won't protect you against it.

Homeopathy is proven by medical science to be a sham. It doesn't cure anything and advising people to ignore medical advise for this BS is quite simply endangering lives.

I am not talking about homeopathy.
    All I am talking about is healthy diet and lifestyle.
    If you do have problem with that, sorry but there is no amount of medicine which can save you.

I am not talking about homeopathy.
    All I am talking about is healthy diet and lifestyle.
    If you do have problem with that, sorry but there is no amount of medicine which can save you.

A healthy diet and lifestyle will NOT stop you getting COVID-19. It's a virus and there are plenty of healthy and fit people getting sick. Professional sports people are getting sick with this virus for Christs sake.

Follow the medical advise of practising social distancing and washing you hands regularly is way more important.

Jesus wept folks if Patnor wants to take those thats fine and if anyone else wants to take them then thats fine too, each to their own.

If that is how they want to deal with their feelings and mental health during this time thats fine and let them off.

Why the constant need to attack people in this forum its getting ridiculous at this point.

kilburn wrote: »
    Jesus wept folks if Patnor wants to take those thats fine and if anyone else wants to take them then thats fine too, each to their own.

If that is how they want to deal with their feelings and mental health during this time thats fine and let them off.

Why the constant need to attack people in this forum its getting ridiculous at this point.

If they want to take that stuff themselves, yes it's fine. What's not fine is advising people on here that that stuff will protect you from getting the virus. It won't. Following the HSE advice on hygiene, social distancing and staying at home is the only message that should be out there.

If they want to take that stuff themselves, yes it's fine. What's not fine is advising people on here that that stuff will protect you from getting the virus. It won't. Following the HSE advice on hygiene, social distancing and staying at home is the only message that should be out there.

At no point did he or she advise anyone to take anything just put a link out for some supplements that help the immune system.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

most of the list posted is harmless, but st johns wort is actually quite potent and can interfere with actual medications -

https://www.tga.gov.au/alert/st-johns-wort-important-interactions-between-st-johns-wort-hypericum-perforatum-preparations-and-prescription-medicines

I don't have time to go through the list or website and make a real judgment on the website, but we should always by hyper-suspicious of any sites recommending/selling "alternative medicine".

as Dara Obrien put it:
    “I'm sorry, 'herbal medicine', "Oh, herbal medicine's been around for thousands of years!" Indeed it has, and then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became 'medicine'. And the rest of it is just a nice bowl of soup and some potpourri, so knock yourselves out.”

Im see a lot of posts on FB & twitter for herbal remedies that are "100% coronavirus effective". unfortunately there are some people who will fall for it

A healthy diet and lifestyle will NOT stop you getting COVID-19. It's a virus and there are plenty of healthy and fit people getting sick. Professional sports people are getting sick with this virus for Christs sake.

Follow the medical advise of practising social distancing and washing you hands regularly is way more important.

Please kindly point me where I said any of what you are saying.
    Like when did I say it will stop anyone from getting virus?

You need to stay calm, good mental health is also a factor in how your body will fight with viruses and diseases.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

Esel wrote: »

Esel... do you know what the primary ingredient is of chloroquine.. the drug being touted as holding the most possibility in alleviating covid? It's quinine. Quinine comes from a tree. Aspirin opiates penicillin taxol to name but a few.. they all originate from plants or trees.
    Please do some research before you completely disparage what was essentially a post recommending antivirals.

• Advertisement

Can we leave the debate for a different thread please?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement