Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

Grossly irresponsible my hole. This is a pandemic. I have a parent in hospital and this will kill her if we don't act. That includes naming. All these rumours are turning out to be true. Normally I would consider myself as a level headed, reasonable person but its different this time. I couldn't give a **** about Gamestops reputation.

Listen we are all worried... same with elderly parents and am immunosuprressed myself but we also have to think rationally. If someone had a confirmed diagnosis, then they would be in hospital. Currently as numbers stand, that's a given. Avoiding high density places is the wisest option but abusing people and calling them out ( which was the case on other social media) is nothing short of a witch hunt and isn't fair. I've no desire to get into an argument about it, I fully understand your worry.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

You don't even need the essential oil. That's just to disguise the smell. Personally I find the stink of isopropyl vaguely reassuring every time I rub it on my hands.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

You know what. Could we maybe get over the idea that the there is a stigma attached to catching the virus. It's 2020 and we are all capable of rational thought. Sars-Cov-2 is a very contagious virus, it's not a moral failing. It's not a sign of some god's displeasure in you. It's not a punishment for wrongdoing. It's not a sign that you are in anyway 'unclean.' To the best of our knowledge at this point in time, if you have had the virus and recovered, you are probably immune and someone who will help any second wave to be less severe than it could otherwise be. So lets just quash the idea that there is any shame in having the virus. (Knowing you were high risk and wilfully ignoring the need to social distance is a different matter.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭pigtown

mdmix wrote: »
    Washing your hands is more effective than hand sanitizer. Hand sanitizer is only recommended when washing hands is not an option.
    Yeah, I just want some for the car/walking to work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

iguana wrote: »
    You know what. Could we maybe get over the idea that the there is a stigma attached to catching the virus. It's 2020 and we are all capable of rational thought. Sars-Cov-2 is a very contagious virus, it's not a moral failing. It's not a sign of some god's displeasure in you. It's not a punishment for wrongdoing. It's not a sign that you are in anyway 'unclean.' To the best of our knowledge at this point in time, if you have had the virus and recovered, you are probably immune and someone who will help any second wave to be less severe than it could otherwise be. So lets just quash the idea that there is any shame in having the virus. (Knowing you were high risk and wilfully ignoring the need to social distance is a different matter.)
    Brilliant post. More like you would make Boards, and social media in general, a better place!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

Is it fair to say that there have been no confirmed cases originating in Limerick so far? Assuming that worker in the Crescent tested negative and that no healthcare workers caught it out in the regional when the four cases from Clare were being treated. The government's decision to label the locations as being west, south and east is understandable but hard to judge at the same time.

iguana wrote: »
    You don't even need the essential oil. That's just to disguise the smell. Personally I find the stink of isopropyl vaguely reassuring every time I rub it on my hands.

I make up thieves oil ( story behind it ... protected grave robbers during the plaque) and add to the rubbing alcohol. Hydrogen peroxide at 3% good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Are all pubs close? Any open, I'll go there and give them a piece of my mind.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

YFlyer wrote: »
    Are all pubs close? Any open, I'll go there and give them a piece of my mind.

Sure you will. :rolleyes:

Is it fair to say that there have been no confirmed cases originating in Limerick so far? Assuming that worker in the Crescent tested negative and that no healthcare workers caught it out in the regional when the four cases from Clare were being treated. The government's decision to label the locations as being west, south and east is understandable but hard to judge at the same time.

I * hear* as of Friday no evidence of community transmission in limericks confirmed cases.. again only second hand information.

• Advertisement

I feel I'm like a broken record saying this and sorry if people have read on other threads. If anyone has a repressed respiratory system, then buying an oxygen concentrator before stocks run out would be wise. Having this at home will provide supplementary oxygen and are easier to get as no o2 tank needed. I really hope people can pass this on to those who have asmtha, etc.
    I bought additional cannulas so I can share with family members who have copd c.f. etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The Old Quarter, Bobby Byrnes and Sextons the latest pub to shut their floors for the duration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭djdunny

Folks. Slightly off topic of the virus itself but for people who are self isolating. There is a milk delivery’s device that I have been using for years and highly recommend them (no affiliation).

mymilkman.ie they will deliver milk, eggs, juices to your door step (if your within one of their delivery areas)

You pay a small bit extra but worth it as you don’t need to leave the house for some of the essentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I feel I'm like a broken record saying this and sorry if people have read on other threads. If anyone has a repressed respiratory system, then buying an oxygen concentrator before stocks run out would be wise. Having this at home will provide supplementary oxygen and are easier to get as no o2 tank needed. I really hope people can pass this on to those who have asmtha, etc. I bought additional cannulas so I can share with family members who have copd c.f. etc.

Great post and advice

• Registered Users Posts: 51,102 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Sure you will. :rolleyes:

Someone has to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭sioda

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

sioda wrote: »
    Fantastic we need to highlight this sort of recovery.

What needs to be noted is how long the recovery has taken.

The seriously ill will need a bed for 2 week. It’s frightening.

I feel I'm like a broken record saying this and sorry if people have read on other threads. If anyone has a repressed respiratory system, then buying an oxygen concentrator before stocks run out would be wise. Having this at home will provide supplementary oxygen and are easier to get as no o2 tank needed. I really hope people can pass this on to those who have asmtha, etc.
    I bought additional cannulas so I can share with family members who have copd c.f. etc.

Realistically would one of these be if any use without a ventilator?

893bet wrote: »
    What needs to be noted is how long the recovery has taken.

The seriously ill will need a bed for 2 week. It’s frightening.

Yes.. agreed but we could assume also that part of the rationale behind hospitalization relates to quarantine and public health safety. We won't know if they required ventilation but assuming they were given iv fluids as standard. Still it is encouraging.

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »
    Realistically would one of these be if any use without a ventilator?

It won't replace a ventilator of course it won't... but it will provide supplementary oxygen. .. concentrators are prescribed as standard ( albeit you may need to request) for copd, etc... after than o2 tanks... concentrators do not require a ventilator to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭patnor1011

It won't replace a ventilator of course it won't... but it will provide supplementary oxygen. .. concentrators are prescribed as standard ( albeit you may need to request) for copd, etc... after than o2 tanks... concentrators do not require a ventilator to work.

I was looking into this and while amazon is quite full of them at around 200 euro I am somehow undecided. I do not know if they are good. Where did you got your one from?

patnor1011 wrote: »
    I was looking into this and while amazon is quite full of them at around 200 euro I am somehow undecided. I do not know if they are good. Where did you got your one from?

Ours was expensive we got it from a German company... these are used much more regularly in Germany...saying that I *share* it with several friends and family who come round to use. Let me have a look at Amazon.de and see what looks good. Another option may be to ring boc gases and see if they would rent one... I did email them the other day but no response I imagine my request may be one of many but worth a try. I'll get back to you ...

I will get one off amazon then. I was toying with the idea for quite some time as oxygen is good for many things. This virus probably just help me to go for it faster.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's just been announced that all, pubs, hotel bars and nightclubs nationwide will close from tonight until March 29th

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Restaurants and cafes remaining open?

They will be closed pretty soon too.
    We will see all what happened in Italy happening here too.

Ours was expensive we got it from a German company... these are used much more regularly in Germany...saying that I *share* it with several friends and family who come round to use. Let me have a look at Amazon.de and see what looks good. Another option may be to ring boc gases and see if they would rent one... I did email them the other day but no response I imagine my request may be one of many but worth a try. I'll get back to you ...

Would appreciate a recommendation. Have 3 greater that 75 in the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

I'm gonna stick with this thread for local updates and avoid the main one because it's just making me more upset and scared. The struggle of wanting to stay informed, though.

• Advertisement

le_girl wrote: »
    I'm gonna stick with this thread for local updates and avoid the main one because it's just making me more upset and scared. The struggle of wanting to stay informed, though.

That thread moves so fast there is no point using it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement