Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,768 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Glenomra wrote: »
    Listened to his speech. A voice of reason.. hope the 'deep state's don't take him out.

Dont worry Ireland shallow state cant get much done so I doubt we have much of a deep one:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

19 and 31 after weeks of low numbers. That sounds like there been a specific cluster. Maybe another meat factory outbreak?

There's a cluster in Limerick linked to a caravan site and pub in Doonbeg, I know 4 that have tested positive in the last week from this cluster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭maebee

I heard a doctor on Brendan O'Connor's programme this morning slating face screens, saying they were worse than useless and should be banned. After hearing this, I decided not to use mine anymore and to stick to my regular face mask. This afternoon we had a lovely Sunday lunch in a well renowned restaurant in Limerick city. The staff were all wearing what I can only describe as micro face screens. They sit on the chin, as opposed to the forehead, cover the mouth but don't fully cover the nose. When the waiter leaned in to me to place cutlery, his uncovered nose was inches from mine. I thought I was being paranoid but the three 20 somethings in our family all agreed that these masks are "a joke". Has anybody else seen these?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Cordell

Yes, I saw them too. Their only purpose is to comply with mandatory face covering rules but without actually covering anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,648 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Yep....I saw one of those chin guards on a lady in the local shop during the week....had to check a couple of times to confirm wtf I was looking at.

I'm no immunologist but surely anyone with half an ounce of common sense can see that those yokes are as much use as a chocolate fireplace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Where are all our new cases coming from

• Registered Users Posts: 85,474 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'd guess college students, house parties, large gatherings, sport events as the ages seem young

Schools. Let’s not kid ourselves.

But they’re never going tom say that. Even the official numbers teachers hear are about 3x what’s actually reported about schools.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Examiner saying we could all be going to level 4 lockdown. And those face shields are about as useful as a screen door on a submarine. I saw those micro shields a week or two back, was dying to ask the lady wearing it what was the point .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

maebee wrote: »
    I heard a doctor on Brendan O'Connor's programme this morning slating face screens, saying they were worse than useless and should be banned. After hearing this, I decided not to use mine anymore and to stick to my regular face mask. This afternoon we had a lovely Sunday lunch in a well renowned restaurant in Limerick city. The staff were all wearing what I can only describe as micro face screens. They sit on the chin, as opposed to the forehead, cover the mouth but don't fully cover the nose. When the waiter leaned in to me to place cutlery, his uncovered nose was inches from mine. I thought I was being paranoid but the three 20 somethings in our family all agreed that these masks are "a joke". Has anybody else seen these?
    I heard this too and fully agreed with him. Coincidentally I was in a cafe today where similar mini face shieldswere being used and wondered the same thing. On the other hand, I was in a restaurant 2 weeks ago where masks were used, the waiter was quite muffled and hard to hear and I'd consider my hearing to be fairly sharp. I did wonder how the elderly or the deaf (not being able to lip read) were coping. (of course this doesn't just apply to restaurants)

MarkR wrote: »
    Examiner saying we could all be going to level 4 lockdown. And those face shields are about as useful as a screen door on a submarine. I saw those micro shields a week or two back, was dying to ask the lady wearing it what was the point .

The point is to get into a shop or work without having to wear an actual mask I reckon. A more comfortable cop out basically

Schools. Let’s not kid ourselves.

But they’re never going tom say that. Even the official numbers teachers hear are about 3x what’s actually reported about schools.

If teachers are hearing official numbers does that not mean that these are reported ?
    Seems very unlikely teachers would be given one set of official numbers and media a different set of official numbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

49 new cases for Limerick. Not good..

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Massive numbers, lame duck response.

528399.png

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Yep....I saw one of those chin guards on a lady in the local shop during the week....had to check a couple of times to confirm wtf I was looking at.

I'm no immunologist but surely anyone with half an ounce of common sense can see that those yokes are as much use as a chocolate fireplace

For sure , they were only ever designed to be used with a regular face mask to guard from 'splashback' in a medical setting. I'm convinced that these became a ' thing' when the young girls with the fully made up faces realised all their hard work highlighting and contouring was going to waste.
    As for in a food setting I would refuse food being carried by a server wearing one of these yolks. Any droplets from them are being channelled directly down on your plate. Have heard several Gps say they are next to useless when used alone..

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

Kicking the can down the road...

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

49 new cases for Limerick. Not good..

Back to being the third biggest city in Ireland, and not in a good way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Back to being the third biggest city in Ireland, and not in a good way.

They're figures for the whole county and in last weeks LEA breakdown West Limerick had much higher figures than the city or the East of the county. Let's wait and see the breakdown of where these new cases are before jumping to conclusions about the city.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The procedure agreed with NPHET is to proceed through the levels until you reach total lockdown in level 5, not jump 3 levels straight into lockdown destroying the economy and more lives than Covid will.

If these restrictions don't work in three weeks, then we'll proceed to Level 4.

And until Holohan came riding back in on his high horse demanding something he has no right to demand, NPHET was happy enough to follow the agreed procedure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

They're figures for the whole county and in last weeks LEA breakdown West Limerick had much higher figures than the city or the East of the county. Let's wait and see the breakdown of where these new cases are before jumping to conclusions about the city.

Please accept my sincerest apologies Cookie, I was trying to make a snappy sentence, not analysing LEA data before its available.

Ahem, edit: we're back to being the third highest county with a city. Still not good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Another huge que outside the Old Stand again today how is this pub allowed get away with this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

bigpink wrote: »
    Another huge que outside the Old Stand again today how is this pub allowed get away with this
    Where is this bar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Mother Macs closing tonight for 3 weeks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Where is this bar?

Henry Street/Clontarf place it's actually crazy the lawless of it

bigpink wrote: »
    Henry Street/Clontarf place it's actually crazy the lawless of it

It was always a lawless bar. Can't imagine why anyone goes in there unless you have been barred from all the good pubs in town

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Let's be honest the proximity of the wet house nearby is a very good reason for this. The bars and off license in Johns square years ago was like this until it was moved onto Alphonsus Street.

Berty wrote: »
    Let's be honest the proximity of the wet house nearby is a very good reason for this. The bars and off license in Johns square years ago was like this until it was moved onto Alphonsus Street.

I think alot of the queues outside are probably for the offie too. But having a wet house near by doesn't mean a pub has to go to s**t you wouldn't see that crowd in Sexton's, South's or Dolans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

The procedure agreed with NPHET is to proceed through the levels until you reach total lockdown in level 5, not jump 3 levels straight into lockdown destroying the economy and more lives than Covid will.

If these restrictions don't work in three weeks, then we'll proceed to Level 4.

And until Holohan came riding back in on his high horse demanding something he has no right to demand, NPHET was happy enough to follow the agreed procedure.

The NPHET is charged with making recommendations based on the prevailing data and best practice. They operate from the brief issued to them. Tony Holohan didn't demand anything, you must be genuinely demented to believe he did. There are 19 members of the NPHET with 32 on the expert advisory group, yet somehow you've cherry picked the narrative that Tony Holohan dictates to them all and they all fall into line. These boring comments of sniping and undermining the efforts of bona fide experts is exhausting like somehow every knows better than them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I have to say I agree wholeheartedly with the NPHET recommendation. The vast bulk of Ireland's spread is now community transmission. That needs to be interrupted, it needs to be tamed in as rapid and unfortunately for many an immediate fashion as possible.

My fear is that by going through the stages whilst our R0 is still high, is akin to just closing the vents on a stove.
    The flame damps down and smoulders rather than extinguishes.

4 weeks of level 3, followed by 4 weeks of what?
    Then whatever students have been living in digs, or on Campus return for christmas.
    Those abroad for work do the same.

We have a huge number of cross county and international movement building store for December. The Govt proposed strategy will merely allow the virus to continue its smoulder.
    Before it emerges as a flame again once movement restarts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement