Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Incidence per 100k over the past 14 days per LEA: (number of cases in brackets)

Local Electoral Area|14 days prior to 14 Sept|14 days prior to 21 Sept|14 days prior to 5 Oct
    NEWCASTLE WEST|51.1 (14)|80.2 (22)|138.6 (38)
    ADARE-RATHKEALE|101 (28)|61.3 (17)|198.5 (55)
    CAPPAMORE-KILMALLOCK|17.2 (6)|14.4 (5)|60.3 (21)
    LIMERICK CITY WEST|17.2 (6)|< 5 cases|25.8 (9)
    LIMERICK CITY EAST|36.8 (13)|31.1 (11)|42.4 (15)
    LIMERICK CITY NORTH|126.8 (44)|37.4 (13)|138.3 (48)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭jonski

kilburn wrote: »
    If you have a reasonable GP contact them and explain the situation they can put you forward for a test cutting out the contact tracing department who unfortunately are overwhelmed at the minute.

She tried that yesterday but her GP said once she was in the contact tracing system she would have to stay there ....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,049 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

jonski wrote: »
    She tried that yesterday but her GP said once she was in the contact tracing system she would have to stay there ....

That's really unusual to be waiting that long and be offered nothing. Ide keep following it up every day

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Delighted to see the thread open again as it can play an important part in informing the local community .

I'm back with more details on my daughters case .

Sometime between Wed 30th Sept and Tue 6th Oct someone was identified as Covid Positive, my daughter was then identified as a close contact .

So Tue 6th Oct at 9:30 am she received a phone call from contact tracing to inform her of this and to tell her she would be contacted shortly with an appointment for a test . She was also told that there was no reason to be worried that she was living in a house with her parents and sister but that she should isolate . Heard no more Tuesday or Wednesday,so she phoned back end of day Wednesday and was told that she would have to wait until the following day before she could have the case escalated . She phoned back Thursday morning and was told it would be escalated and she would hear back from them shortly . She got a phone call this morning to say that her case had been escalated and that she would get an appointment ......... in the next 24 to 48 hours !

Now I'm one of those people that think the rules apply to all of us and not just when they suit us so we as a family have been sticking to the house and not allowing anyone over so I'm not really worried about us spreading it but I didn't think it would take this long to find out if she was positive or negative .

Sounds pretty standard at the moment.
    It is taking anywhere between 2 & 4 days for close contacts to get tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Solli

I’m unable to find today’s cases (Friday 9th) on the press statement. Dashboard is reporting for Wednesday. Counties not in the top 4-5 are not documented.
    This is happening all week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Solli wrote: »
    I’m unable to find today’s cases (Friday 9th) on the press statement. Dashboard is reporting for Wednesday. Counties not in the top 4-5 are not documented.

The new normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Solli wrote: »

https://www.gov.ie/en/news/7e0924-latest-updates-on-covid-19-coronavirus/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Rathkeale and NCW are the top 2, why not put them both on level 5? That’s how this system works isn’t it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Rathkeale and NCW are the top 2, why not put them both on level 5? That’s how this system works isn’t it?[/QUOTE

Putting Rathkeale on any level is like pissing into the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

bigpink wrote:

Travellers in Rathkeale are mostly decent and law abiding business people.

Not the same as travellers you would meet in halting sites from a cultural perspective they would be very different

• Advertisement

Treepole wrote: »
    Sounds pretty standard at the moment.
    It is taking anywhere between 2 & 4 days for close contacts to get tested.

Well it's day 5 now and she hasn't even been notified about an appointment .

Well it's day 5 now and she hasn't even been notified about an appointment .

So, a nurse just phoned her there now . The reason she hasn't been given an appointment is because ......... she is not deemed to have been a close contact . All the previous phone calls weren't able to tell her this because ....... no idea, she wasn't able to say why, she also wasn't able to explain why she was put on the list in the first place .

Joke.... Not the first time I have heard a close contact was no longer deemed a close contact.

More importantly how is she feeling?

Not getting into it as I will get a ban or warning for you dragging the thread off topic.

Everyone else will lose out when thread is closed again then.

Been to Ratkeale many times used to work there lovely town lovely people they keep to themselves and bother no one.

Spike in cases in Rathkeale was due to people returning home from across the continent during lockdown.

Same thing would happen anywhere with a large influx of locals returning home.

Not sure what is causing the spike in NCW though is it down the football?

kilburn wrote: »
    Joke.... Not the first time I have heard a close contact was no longer deemed a close contact.

More importantly how is she feeling?

She is feeling fine, relieved and annoyed . Same as the rest of us .

Also, I'm guessing it's an age thing but I think thats the first time I have ever used the word annoyed :D , normally it would be raging, p*ssed off, bulling or whatever. So now that I'm in my fifties , I'm annoyed .

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Kilburn was right. I won't have traveller bashing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

Was in Dunnes Jetland yesterday and from what I saw there was a sizeable number of people wearing visors and those small ones that go from your chin to your nose in particular. Most people wearing masks in fairness but I could see the visors becoming more popular if people think its ok to use them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

scrubs33 wrote: »
    Was in Dunnes Jetland yesterday and from what I saw there was a sizeable number of people wearing visors and those small ones that go from your chin to your nose in particular. Most people wearing masks in fairness but I could see the visors becoming more popular if people think its ok to use them.

I can't see why, they aren't more comfortable and anyone who gives it two seconds of thought can surely see they are pointless. The main people visors (full size visors) would be any good to are children because they are low down, so any sneeze particles escaping a visor would be unlikely to be inhaled by anyone while protecting the kids themselves from droplets which would mainly fall from above them. My son has a couple of visors and he only wears the visor with a mask and really that's only because he was wearing a shark mask when we saw shark visors priced 2 for €1 in Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

i too was in jetland and pissed off at the sneeze guards people are wearing in place of masks. No point in complaining in dunnes, or in the chemist there, because they both sell the dam things.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

54 cases in Limerick on the 9th Oct according to covid app. Previous 2 weeks 286.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

phill106 wrote: »
    i too was in jetland and pissed off at the sneeze guards people are wearing in place of masks. No point in complaining in dunnes, or in the chemist there, because they both sell the dam things.

Some staff and visiting shelf stackers are all wearing them in Jetland anyway. wish the management would police them - they do have a sign saying customers should have full nose and mouth coverings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

54 cases in Limerick on the 9th Oct according to covid app. Previous 2 weeks 286.

How come they not highlighting this?
    Heard a very significant number now in City again, in particular northside of the City, and a cluster in Kilmallock linked to a lads holiday to Greece

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

phill106 wrote: »

Those sneeze guards pi$$ me right off. I actually get angry when I see them. They give no protection to anybody. Absolutely pointless! Just wear a mask

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

The Dept of health daily briefing only gives the counties with the highest cases, and then cases spread between other counties. The covid app is 2 days behind on daily cases per county.

How come they not highlighting this? Heard a very significant number now in City again, in particular northside of the City, and a cluster in Kilmallock linked to a lads holiday to Greece

Few cases popping up in schools on the Northside at the minute also which is expected

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Those sneeze guards pi$$ me right off. I actually get angry when I see them. They give no protection to anybody. Absolutely pointless! Just wear a mask

I wear a face shield (i have cystic fibrosis) so it's hard enough to even wear that , I simply can't wear a mask , i work in a spar but i'm behind the perspex all the time , they're not as good as masks agreed but to say they're pointless is silly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Many people find wearing masks difficult and uncomfortable for various reasons. Asthmatics, for example, or people with other lung conditions who normally experience breathing difficulties. People who have to wear glasses. Wearing a shield rather than a mask may be a necessity for some and they are quite adequate in preventing the spray of droplets.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

I wear a face shield (i have cystic fibrosis) so it's hard enough to even wear that , I simply can't wear a mask , i work in a spar but i'm behind the perspex all the time , they're not as good as masks agreed but to say they're pointless is silly

In your case the shield is warranted as you can't wear a mask so the shield is better than nothing. I'd say the pointless comment is aimed at those too lazy and too ignorant to wear a mask.

On a side note, are Limerick GPs testing if there's a confirmed case at work? Himself got a call saying they don't think he's impacted but they're deep cleaning the place as a precaution. He hasn't been feeling 100% this week but we thought it was the change in weather because he only leaves the house for work (I do the weekly shop because I'm WFH). He hasn't had a call from contact tracing but wondering if its safer to just ring the GP tomorrow?

chicorytip wrote: »
    Many people find wearing masks difficult and uncomfortable for various reasons. Asthmatics, for example, or people with other lung conditions who normally experience breathing difficulties. People who have to wear glasses. Wearing a shield rather than a mask may be a necessity for some and they are quite adequate in preventing the spray of droplets.

I can see Brian's point and I fully accept it. I hadn't thought of that if I'm honest but if your wearing a shield just because your not arsed wearing a mask it's not on. The level of protection is really poor on both sides of the shield. For glasses wearers the disposable mask work well, they are cooler as well.

• Advertisement

. I'd say the pointless comment is aimed at those too lazy and too ignorant to wear a mask.

That's where I was going with that comment. Masks are best. I know people wearing shields that have no reason not to have a mask on!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement