Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Miike wrote: »
    The NPHET is charged with making recommendations based on the prevailing data and best practice. They operate from the brief issued to them. Tony Holohan didn't demand anything, you must be genuinely demented to believe he did. There are 19 members of the NPHET with 32 on the expert advisory group, yet somehow you've cherry picked the narrative that Tony Holohan dictates to them all and they all fall into line. These boring comments of sniping and undermining the efforts of bona fide experts is exhausting like somehow every knows better than them.

I'm well aware of what their remit is, but by leaking their recommendation to the press before telling the government, they attempted to force the governments hand. That is not in their remit. Luckily the government and the HSE (and a lot of other bona fida experts publicly) disagree with their analysis. I'm not an expert, but I listen to quite a lot of different bona fida experts, who disagree wholeheartedly with these recommendations.

Last Thursday they were happy that the status quo stayed as it was. Up to that point there were no leaks to the press on their intentions before they gave those recommendations to the government.

Then on Sunday there's a seismic change in policy which is leaked to the press before the government has any clue about it. The numbers have gone up, but not enough to jump three levels straight into lockdown. What changed? One single thing. Tony Holohan returned. I do not believe that the situation would have occurred if Dr Glynn was still in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I'm well aware of what their remit is, but by leaking their recommendation to the press before telling the government, they attempted to force the governments hand. That is not in their remit. Luckily the government and the HSE (and a lot of other bona fida experts publicly) disagree with their analysis. I'm not an expert, but I listen to quite a lot of different bona fida experts, who disagree wholeheartedly with these recommendations.

Last Thursday they were happy that the status quo stayed as it was. Up to that point there were no leaks to the press on their intentions before they gave those recommendations to the government.

Then on Sunday there's a seismic change in policy which is leaked to the press before the government has any clue about it. The numbers have gone up, but not enough to jump three levels straight into lockdown. What changed? One single thing. Tony Holohan returned. I do not believe that the situation would have occurred if Dr Glynn was still in charge.

The leaking thing is wrong but that's the nature of politics to be frank about it. Those meetings are not held in confidentiality. To touch on the comment regarding the HSE 'disagreeing' with NPHET recommendations it may come as a shock to you but the NPHET is largely made up of the national directorate of the HSE.

If you think the only thing that has changed nationally since Thursday in relation to COVID19 is Tony Holohan you truly have you head buried deep in the sand.

I say this sincerely: here's hoping that decision isn't regretted in three weeks time, lest we face into another few weeks of harsher measures or worse. Not because of the 'I told you so' crowd but how this will adversely impact our ability to implement mitigation in the face of a rising flu season with 39 CCU beds available nationally.

Moving up the levels until we get to level 5 was the policy agreed between the government and NPHET. This sudden change in direction should have been put to government, not leaked to the press. NPHET shouldnt be playing politics.

And as to the ICU beds, the HSE aren't as worried as NPHET and the Minister of Health this morning said we can easily and rapidly expand to 400 beds if needed.

With respect to the flu season, we'll if the Southern hemisphere is anything to go by, there won't be one. Social distancing and mask wearing really really work when it comes to flu.

Also remember that NPHET told the HSE to discharge elderly patients to care homes untested. They told those care homes to reverse their self imposed visitor ban. And they initially said that we didn't need to wear masks. They're not infallible and their bad initial decisions cost hundreds of lives. That is why I believe they are now so conservative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Anyone any info on case numbers in Limerick towns?
    Newcastle, Kilmallock, Askeaton etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭sioda

Moving up the levels until we get to level 5 was the policy agreed between the government and NPHET. This sudden change in direction should have been put to government, not leaked to the press. NPHET shouldnt be playing politics.

And as to the ICU beds, the HSE aren't as worried as NPHET and the Minister of Health this morning said we can easily and rapidly expand to 400 beds if needed.

With respect to the flu season, we'll if the Southern hemisphere is anything to go by, there won't be one. Social distancing and mask wearing really really work when it comes to flu.

Also remember that NPHET told the HSE to discharge elderly patients to care homes untested. They told those care homes to reverse their self imposed visitor ban. And they initially said that we didn't need to wear masks. They're not infallible and their bad initial decisions cost hundreds of lives. That is why I believe they are now so conservative.

I was wondering the same re the flu, would anti Covid measures lower the rate it seems only logical it would tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,793 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Anyone any info on case numbers in Limerick towns?
    Newcastle, Kilmallock, Askeaton etc?

Don't think they get that specific in official stats but Newcastle West area is still the worst in Limerick

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Don't think they get that specific in official stats but Newcastle West area is still the worst in Limerick
    We have to wait for the 14 day LEA map to be updated. It's still only showing the 14 days up to 28th Sep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

sioda wrote:
    I was wondering the same re the flu, would anti Covid measures lower the rate it seems only logical it would tbh.

Schools, more so the double hard groups of parents congregating with no masks or social distancing will ensure we have a flu season let's hope most people get the flu vaccine to avoid unnecessary hospital stays.

Watched a group of 4 mothers collecting kids the other day with no masks and in a tight group, one coughed didn't cover face and the others didn't bat an eyelid, you have no hope with these clowns out there.

Can't understand why we have not brought in widespread fines for moronic behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

A large amount of cases in Askeaton, not surprisingly really if you saw the general lawlessness in that town

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I don't think I would worry about waiting staff having less-than-stellar quality masks.
    They are not within 2 mtrs of you for more than 15 mins. They are not going from bed to bed in a carehome.
    I mean that level of paranoia (and/or actual vulnerability) raises the question of your presence in a restaurant or cafe to begin with. That is on you!

Now if you call to a pal's house to sit at a table for a cuppa and long chat, quality of mask maybe would come into play.

I base this above opinion on HSE website content:
    Close contact
    This is only a guide but close contact can mean:

spending more than 15 minutes of face-to-face contact within 2 metres of someone who has COVID-19, indoor or outdoor
    living in the same house or shared accommodation as someone who has COVID-19
    sitting within 2 seats of someone who has COVID-19 on public transport or an airplane
    Spending more than 2 hours in an indoor space with someone who has COVID-19 will sometimes count as close or casual contact. This could be an office or a classroom. But it will depend on the size of the room and other factors. Public health doctors or contact tracers will let you know if you are at risk during contact tracing and public health risk assessments.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/close-contact-and-casual-contact.html

• Advertisement

topper75 wrote:
    I don't think I would worry about waiting staff having less-than-stellar quality masks. They are not within 2 mtrs of you for more than 15 mins. They are not going from bed to bed in a carehome. I mean that level of paranoia (and/or actual vulnerability) raises the question of your presence in a restaurant or cafe to begin with. That is on you!

So if droplets fall on your plate, cutlery etc your ok and not at risk yea?

Its Doctors and consultants that identified the issue not the poster who just highlighted it.

Those visors are supposed to be worn with face masks not instead of. Saw one today and they looking fairly cheap and rubbish the dudes nose was up over the top of it

If you are going to include close contact tab you should probably have a look at how's it spread tab also which clearly address that scenario

kilburn wrote: »

I imagine the risk is negligible in terms of volume of viral material. It is not like you immediately get the disease solely because you ingest some droplets. That is where the 15 minutes within 2mtrs advice comes in.

Consider the cruise ship and how 3000 people out of 3700 holed up in it for however many weeks did not get the virus. I don't think there was much in the way of PPE on board considering the date they set sail.
    If you are going to include close contact tab you should probably have a look at how's it spread tab also which clearly address that scenario

OK. So which one do you think is materially pertinent to a cafe/restaurant scenario?

topper75 wrote:
    OK. So which one do you think is materially correct to a cafe/restaurant scenario?

Both are obviously but you can't just mention the 15 mins rule and not mention droplets which is why we all have to wash our hands.

Not a virologist but I imagine if you get a droplet on something and touch your mouth or eyes you potentially have a problem even if they were beside you for 10 seconds

Interpreting the risk that rigidly would then raise the question about the person's presence at the eatery in the first instance. Where mere droplets on a surface are a meaningful threat, it would then be a case of wear some sort of biohazard suit or stay at home at that point.

Anyway, after midnight on Tue Oct 6 in Ireland, the pair of us may as well be figuring out how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

topper75 wrote:
    Anyway, after midnight on Tue Oct 6 in Ireland, the pair of us may as well be figuring out how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Can they be stacked or do the feet need to touch the pin head

Can they be stacked or do the feet need to touch the pin head

Technically none of them would touch the pinhead as it is covered in some blanket colony of macrobiotic creature, just like my mouse and keyboard, lift buttons, coffee machine button, car door handle etc etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Some crazy video s going around of Claughaun GAA club

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

bigpink wrote: »
    Some crazy video s going around of Claughaun GAA club

Doing what? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Its Doctors and consultants that identified the issue not the poster who just highlighted it.

Those visors are supposed to be worn with face masks not instead of. Saw one today and they looking fairly cheap and rubbish the dudes nose was up over the top of it

In the name of Ciaran Carey will you shut up man! I will never be able to eat out again listening to you and your droplets :(

• Advertisement

In the name of Ciaran Carey will you shut up man! I will never be able to eat out again listening to you and your droplets

Where to even start I don't know !

Doing what? :pac:

Huge crowds at the clubhouse... fighting...guards and ambulance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

bigpink wrote: »
    Huge crowds at the clubhouse... fighting...guards and ambulance

You sound like a St Patrick’s man ! .... great night had by all in Claughaun

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Tonight will be busy in lots of places. Last few pints for many and churches busy because many Churches contacted schools and said "If you want your child to receive communion/confirmation then tonight is the night". Some were due for this weekend but instead they're being told come in tonight or not at all.

I know of two families got are bringing their daughters to church tonight, different sides of the city, all dressed up.........."whole sheebang". I also saw a bouncy castle van on the move earlier as well, some emergency calls going on today :D

LuasSimon wrote: »
    You sound like a St Patrick’s man ! .... great night had by all in Claughaun

Deffo not other side of the city for my family
    You think it's acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭snowcat

banie01 wrote: »
    I have to say I agree wholeheartedly with the NPHET recommendation. The vast bulk of Ireland's spread is now community transmission. That needs to be interrupted, it needs to be tamed in as rapid and unfortunately for many an immediate fashion as possible.

My fear is that by going through the stages whilst our R0 is still high, is akin to just closing the vents on a stove.
    The flame damps down and smoulders rather than extinguishes.

4 weeks of level 3, followed by 4 weeks of what?
    Then whatever students have been living in digs, or on Campus return for christmas.
    Those abroad for work do the same.

We have a huge number of cross county and international movement building store for December. The Govt proposed strategy will merely allow the virus to continue its smoulder.
    Before it emerges as a flame again once movement restarts.

You are talking about going to zero covid. We attempted that in March April May and failed with broad public support. Zero Covid involves a hard border with NI and shutting all inbound air traffic/land-sea traffic. Also it would come at a huge financial cost and that is money that is needed to support our failed health service. All these lockdowns are just kicking the can down the road. This virus has a fatality rate of less than .5%. Less than the normal flu with good probability. All this money that we would lose from lockdowns should be directed at the health service in a constructive way. Buy the private hospitals and staff and keep their management separate from the HSE which cannot manage a bottle of Calpol. Contract health care professionals in from abroad at huge salaries to man them on a temporary basis. Renumerate existing staff at a similiar level.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

snowcat wrote: »
    You are talking about going to zero covid. We attempted that in March April May and failed with broad public support.

We never attempted that. Maybe you weren't aware of exactly what NPHET were telling us we were doing but the simple catchphrase, "Flatten the Curve" was everywhere, so it's really on you if you erroneously think that's what we were doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

My daughter was contacted yesterday by the contact tracing people . Anyone know how long before she gets an appointment for a test ? and how long from then until the actual test ? and finally how long before the result ?

A lot of questions, I know, but she was shocked and forgot to ask, plus the guy on the phone wasn't very informative ( she says ) . Told her that she was not infectious to us living with her unless she was showing symptoms ( which isn't my understanding of this disease )

Also never asked her about the contact tracing app on her phone .

jonski wrote: »
    My daughter was contacted yesterday by the contact tracing people . Anyone know how long before she gets an appointment for a test ? and how long from then until the actual test ? and finally how long before the result ?

A lot of questions, I know, but she was shocked and forgot to ask, plus the guy on the phone wasn't very informative ( she says ) . Told her that she was not infectious to us living with her unless she was showing symptoms ( which isn't my understanding of this disease )

Also never asked her about the contact tracing app on her phone .

Any time I was tested my GP referred me to the contact team which took a few hours before they called. First time I was down in PnG that night second I could have gotten a test straight away in Galway bit choose to wait 24hr for Limerick instead

• Advertisement

Meanwhile in the land of reality....

US flu deaths for 19/20 cycle max of 62,000
    Current deaths in the USA due to COVID19 216,000 6 months in. Stop banging the flu drum, its tiresome and nonsensical.

What plane of existence are you on?

Also what's with the hire health care professionals from other countries bit. Covid is everywhere so I doubt many will be leaving home to come here for work

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement