Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Do the numbers for each electoral area ever get updated? It's still showing 1st-14th September.

It’s updated now, sorry about that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

It’s updated now, sorry about that :pac:

Thank you. So for easy comparison:
    Numbers per 100k over the past 14 days per LEA: (number of cases in brackets)

NEWCASTLE WEST: 51.1 (14)
    ADARE-RATHKEALE: 101 (28)
    CAPPAMORE-KILMALLOCK: 17.2 (6)
    LIMERICK CITY WEST: 17.2 (6)
    LIMERICK CITY EAST: 36.8 (13)
    LIMERICK CITY NORTH: 126.8 (44)

* as of the 14th

As at 21 Sept:
    NEWCASTLE WEST: 80.2 (22)
    ADARE-RATHKEALE: 61.3 (17)
    CAPPAMORE-KILMALLOCK: 14.4 (5)
    LIMERICK CITY WEST: Less than 5 cases
    LIMERICK CITY EAST: 31.1 (11)
    LIMERICK CITY NORTH: 37.4 (13)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 OliverAngler

can you still play pool in the glen tavern or is that not allowed under covid restrictions?

or any other pool tables open in town. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 44 MissEmcee

can you still play pool in the glen tavern or is that not allowed under covid restrictions?

or any other pool tables open in town. cheers

No pool, darts etc. walk to your table and only get up to go to toilet, leave or smoking area and if there you must be seated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/city-lockdowns-loom-as-taoiseach-warns-of-high-covid-rates-in-galway-limerick-waterford-and-cork-39561878.html
    Taoiseach Micheál Martin issued the warning as he said there was rising concern over the increasing rate of Covid-19 detections in major urban centres in Cork, Limerick, Waterford and Galway.

Is anybody else getting a bit sick of them name dropping Limerick in these finger wagging statements lately? We are not even in the top 15 counties for infections the past week. It's getting tiresome at this stage and there is no justification in the slightest to be threatening us with increased restrictions at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 OliverAngler

MissEmcee wrote: »
    No pool, darts etc. walk to your table and only get up to go to toilet, leave or smoking area and if there you must be seated.

sounds like great craic

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Apparently Fine Gael TD Kieran O'Donnell has been in touch with the Taoiseach's office and with Health Minister Stephan Donnelly to correct the inconsistent Covid-19 incidence figures in Limerick.

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2020/0925/1167578-limerick-figures/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

MissEmcee wrote: »
    What is the point of reopening the pubs. Irrespective of social distancing measures people will let their guard down having consumed alcohol. The recent spike in infections may be partly attributable to this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

chicorytip wrote: »
    What is the point of reopening the pubs. Irrespective of social distancing measures people will let their guard down having consumed alcohol. The recent spike in infections may be partly attributable to this.

Pubs have been open 5 days. The recent spike is most definitely not down to them reopening.

And they been open all over Europe for months, with no significant increase in cases attitbuted to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

chicorytip wrote: »

The point? How about giving people their livelihoods back? How about giving isolated people a social outlet? How about giving the general population some semblance of normality? How about giving people a regulated environment in which to enjoy themselves and forget about all that's going on around them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Glenomra

The point? How about giving people their livelihoods back? How about giving isolated people a social outlet? How about giving the general population some semblance of normality? How about giving people a regulated environment in which to enjoy themselves and forget about all that's going on around them?
    Spot on. Keep the pubs open and allow some sense of normality return to Irish life. Many people have had enough of the hysteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Hysteria is a bit of a stretch it is a global pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I wasn't a fan of the pubs reopening, I'm not a fan of them anymore to begin with, but I understand why they need to open. What I have a problem with is not the pubs themselves (to a degree), but the clientele. I've no doubt pubs will do all they can to stay open and adhere to the social distancing required, but I have massive doubts that the people who frequent these places will do as told. The father went to the local this evening, and even though it was strictly table service and no interacting, people were already ignoring this. And therein lies the problem, not the pubs, but the people, and it's not just in pubs but with the addition of alcohol, people forget quicker and everything goes out the window.

Saying that, I was shopping Thursday and yesterday, and I reckon the vast majority of people were wearing some sort of face covering. I do only shop in certain places now, Dunnes in the Parkway as it has the biggest aisles, Tesco Crescent as it has plenty of space (in comparison to others) so you can double back and go a different way when people decide to have a long conversation blocking up the whole aisle. Still have instances of people just being stupid and not standing on the sticker that tells you where to stand, but I reckon these same people would walk the streets oblivious to bombs going off around them if that was the case. Just can't teach stupid.

I do however fully expect cases to go up again now the pubs are open. Just a personal opinion and thought on it, but I can see it happening, and not just in Limerick, but all major cities. People are blind to the fact that drink will result is less social distancing, because it's their escape and can't see the negative side of it. I hope to be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭snowcat

kilburn wrote: »
    Hysteria is a bit of a stretch it is a global pandemic.

There is global casedemic. In any year 1.75million people die globally from lower respiratory disease caused by viruses and bacteria. Time will tell but we will see how that figure changes with time. I suspect Covid will not have a hugely significant impact on those numbers. That figure will decrease substantially and the Covid figure will fill the gap i would surmise. I would guess on the same basis Cancer deaths will decline as many Cancer deaths are now put down to Covid. The system of placing any death that occurs with Covid as a direct Covid death is misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,411 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

snowcat wrote: »
    There is global casedemic. In any year 1.75million people die globally from lower respiratory disease caused by viruses and bacteria. Time will tell but we will see how that figure changes with time. I suspect Covid will not have a hugely significant impact on those numbers. That figure will decrease substantially and the Covid figure will fill the gap i would surmise. I would guess on the same basis Cancer deaths will decline as many Cancer deaths are now put down to Covid. The system of placing any death that occurs with Covid as a direct Covid death is misleading.

BS. just to give you one statistic the US recorded 61k flu deaths in 2018 and that was very high as its usually around 40k but in under 6 months Covid has killed 200k so all this stuff about usual death rates is nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭snowcat

breezy1985 wrote: »
    BS. just to give you one statistic the US recorded 61k flu deaths in 2018 and that was very high as its usually around 40k but in under 6 months Covid has killed 200k so all this stuff about usual death rates is nonsense

No Covid has not directly killed 200k people in the US as I tried to explain. 200k people have died all with Covid. The vast majority of them had comorbidities and the death figures for those comorbidities will proportionally reduce. A much more accurate representation of deaths would be the excess deaths on a yearly basis which we will find out in time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Anyone been to any pubs?Are they being strict

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

snowcat wrote: »
    No Covid has not directly killed 200k people in the US as I tried to explain. 200k people have died all with Covid. The vast majority of them had comorbidities and the death figures for those comorbidities will proportionally reduce. A much more accurate representation of deaths would be the excess deaths on a yearly basis which we will find out in time.

If a healthy person and a cancer patient are hit by a bus and die, how many people were killed by the bus? Presumably you would say 1 person was killed by the bus and 1 person died of cancer

bigpink wrote: »
    Anyone been to any pubs?Are they being strict

The few I saw are trying their best. Only problems were a few mad hard b*******s who are too cool to wear a mask going to the toilet and kept getting out of seats to find servers or go to the bar

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I spent 45 minutes in Mother Mac's last night. They've a good system where you wait at the door, hand sanitizer on the way in, get shown to your table, scan an information leaflet to get the menu on your phone, and table service with contactless payment. Tables and chairs are suitably spaced to avoid groups mingling. Very comfortable spot to spend a spell on a Saturday night.

Hoping to check out Crew, the new place on Thomas Street, next week. I think they have a similar set-up.

• Advertisement

mdmix wrote: »
    If a healthy person and a cancer patient are hit by a bus and die, how many people were killed by the bus? Presumably you would say 1 person was killed by the bus and 1 person died of cancer

The thing is the news is reporting deaths because of Covid, while NPHET is actually reporting deaths with Covid. They are completely different things.

I know of someone who died suddenly recently. During the post mortem they found that the person had Covid. But they had been asymptomatic and it wasn't the cause of death. Yet that person will go into the figures for having died with Covid.

In June HIQA released a report stating that while 1700 people had died with Covid, the excess mortality for the period was actually between 500 and 700. Which means that at least 1000 of those people would have died anyway.

It's also a reason that our death rate is so high compared to most of the rest of Europe. No other country is reporting deaths as Covid unless Covid was the actual reason for death.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

The thing is the news is reporting deaths because of Covid, while NPHET is actually reporting deaths with Covid. They are completely different things.

I watch the 6 o clock news most nights , they report what NPHET report .

I know of someone who died suddenly recently. During the post mortem they found that the person had Covid. But they had been asymptomatic and it wasn't the cause of death. Yet that person will go into the figures for having died with Covid.

Do you know this as a fact or are you assuming ?
    In June HIQA released a report stating that while 1700 people had died with Covid, the excess mortality for the period was actually between 500 and 700. Which means that at least 1000 of those people would have died anyway.

I'm not so sure 'excess mortality' is going to be that reliable as it won't show the figures of people that would have normally died due to accidents or whatever but didn't due to the lock down, even the yearly flu figures should be down just due to social distancing . I think they will have to dig deep into the figures to work it out but it won't be as simple as the example you have given .

It's also a reason that our death rate is so high compared to most of the rest of Europe. No other country is reporting deaths as Covid unless Covid was the actual reason for death.

I'm not so sure of this either, I do know that Belgium is reporting all deaths covid related as covid deaths and I'd be surprised if some other European countries aren't doing something similar .

jonski wrote: »
    I watch the 6 o clock news most nights , they report what NPHET report .

There's more media than just RTE. They are one of the few reporting facts and not sensationalising them.
    Do you know this as a fact or are you assuming ?
    Anyone who has Covid when they die is added to the figure, whether it is the cause of death or not. That's why they say 'died with' rather than 'died of'.
    I'm not so sure 'excess mortality' is going to be that reliable as it won't show the figures of people that would have normally died due to accidents or whatever but didn't due to the lock down, even the yearly flu figures should be down just due to social distancing . I think they will have to dig deep into the figures to work it out but it won't be as simple as the example you have given .

Im not going to dismiss a report from HIQA that easily.
    I'm not so sure of this either, I do know that Belgium is reporting all deaths covid related as covid deaths and I'd be surprised if some other European countries aren't doing something similar .

I did say most European countries, not all. And the descrepancies in the different ways countries counted deaths has been widely reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I spent 45 minutes in Mother Mac's last night. They've a good system where you wait at the door, hand sanitizer on the way in, get shown to your table, scan an information leaflet to get the menu on your phone, and table service with contactless payment. Tables and chairs are suitably spaced to avoid groups mingling. Very comfortable spot to spend a spell on a Saturday night.

Hoping to check out Crew, the new place on Thomas Street, next week. I think they have a similar set-up.
    Sounds good, must call in there during the week. Is Crew a new bar? Haven't heard anything about that, where on Thomas St. is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Sounds good, must call in there during the week. Is Crew a new bar? Haven't heard anything about that, where on Thomas St. is it?

In the unit next to the old Fire Station/Civil Defence base.

Read about it somewhere it's 3 guys from the North.Said they looked all over Ireland.Id said Treaty City ain't too happy considering Crew got help from the enterprise board

Did you have to book a table or slot and what's the time limit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭adaminho

Did you have to book a table or slot and what's the time limit

Walk in only, no time limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭adaminho

Read about it somewhere it's 3 guys from the North.Said they looked all over Ireland.Id said Treaty City ain't too happy considering Crew got help from the enterprise board
    They are only brewing for themselves so wouldn't be competitors. They stock treaty city as well.

• Advertisement

adaminho wrote: »
    They are only brewing for themselves so wouldn't be competitors. They stock treaty city as well.

Limerick should be big enough for a few breweries anyway

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement