Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2020 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Gickyk

My score is 120 got the call for stage 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Sarahlaois

my region is midlands and score was between 130 and 140. Delighted to be called and hopeful to get through this stage too

• Registered Users Posts: 43 HelloPeeps

Hello all, I've been a lurker her for a while. Hopping to get called for video interviews in the next one or two batches, depending how quickly they move.

This is slightly off topic but I just saw the Public Sector program for Innovation Week - It might be of interest to those who will be shortly joining or hoping to join the civil service, or even useful to mention if you are interviewing.

Here are the details:

https://www.ops2020.gov.ie/app/uploads/2019/11/InnovationWeek_Programme_FA-1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

To those already interviewed, how far in advance were you notified who was on the interview board?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭HannahR31

poundhound wrote: »
    To those already interviewed, how far in advance were you notified who was on the interview board?

1 week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

Just got notice of my interview board members. Two of them have interviewed me before and I really hope they don't remember me as neither of those interviews were my finest hour. It's all starting to feel very real now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bluegibbon

Hello everyone,

I found out I've been placed on the order of merit for the Dublin region open competition after my interview last week, which was nice news after a very long-winded process!

Does anyone know how long it usually takes between this point and actually getting offered a job? Obviously it varies, but just a rough estimate would be nice...

• Registered Users Posts: 46 batman007

dee75 wrote: »
    Just a few tips for what worked for me: -
    1. Respond to messages as they arrive in your "inbox".
    2. Make sure your spelling, grammar and language skills are good.
    3. Show that you can manage your time well throughout the e-tray exercise by prioritising emails/assignments effectively.
    4. Where possible, try to show initiative and refer to additional documents provided in the exercise when preparing your response.
    5. Try to ensure your responses address (or attempt to address) the majority of issues mentioned in the exercise.

Best of luck!

Do you know of any practice tools for this exercise?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Herriott

Congratulations! You could get an offer quickly, as in days rather than weeks. All depends on placement and urgency re. posts I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭InsideEdge

I've just received notification of my interview board - sounds like a bunch of heavy-hitters. Gulp!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 The Third Policeman

Fingers crossed for Cork and Tipp soon. I'm in the 130's myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 WingAndAPrayer

Hello,

This thread has been hugely helpful! :) I am a private sector applicant and am interviewing next week.

I see some people have been successful (congrats).

My question is how does the 'panel' work? Am I to assume I am in the second group if people are being given positions on the panel already?

The thought of being on the panel and not getting a role!

Thanks for your input and good luck one and all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Skulls

Hi. Anyone do an etray that had mathematics? If so, what did that entail please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bluegibbon

Skulls wrote: »
    Hi. Anyone do an etray that had mathematics? If so, what did that entail please?

From what I recall there is not really any maths as such in the etray (stage 3). It’s mostly about how you manage problems and deal with people. There is maybe a bit of adding and subtracting you need to do but no more than that.

I assume that’s what you mean rather than the aptitude test at stage 1?

Hello,

This thread has been hugely helpful! :) I am a private sector applicant and am interviewing next week.

I see some people have been successful (congrats).

My question is how does the 'panel' work? Am I to assume I am in the second group if people are being given positions on the panel already?

The thought of being on the panel and not getting a role!

Thanks for your input and good luck one and all. :)

Hi. Panels are formed in order of merit. Candidates are placed off the panel as jobs come up. Whilst there is a likelihood that a candidate doesn't get a job after being placed on a panel, as this competition doesn't expire until March 2022 and you've been placed on a panel at this point, I'd say your chances are good. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

The invite is out!

Will have to iron a shirt for the first time in 7 months for this one....:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Skulls

Bluegibbon wrote: »
    From what I recall there is not really any maths as such in the etray (stage 3). It’s mostly about how you manage problems and deal with people. There is maybe a bit of adding and subtracting you need to do but no more than that.

I assume that’s what you mean rather than the aptitude test at stage 1?

Yes. That is what I mean
    Thanks a m.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

Aglomerado wrote: »
    The invite is out!

Will have to iron a shirt for the first time in 7 months for this one....:D:D:D

Hope mine still fits....

When are you going to do it? im thinking about doing it friday, dont want it hanging over me for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Irishder wrote: »
    Hope mine still fits....

When are you going to do it? im thinking about doing it friday, dont want it hanging over me for the weekend.

Probably Saturday, I'm up the walls with work this week can barely motivate myself for that never mind an interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 The Third Policeman

Out of curiosity, are there any serving AP's keeping an eye on the thread who would like to give an indication of the day to day work for an AP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Connected99

May I ask does one get much of a break between each of the 3 video interview questions please?
    Thank you

May I ask does one get much of a break between each of the 3 video interview questions please?
    Thank you

60 seconds between each.

My experience of these interviews is that drive and commitment is assessed throughout the interview, but does the same apply to interpersonal and communication skills?
    Maybe those who have done the interview can clarify or are you asked to give a specific example?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

Just done the video interview, i was horrific at it. Just glad its over.

Irishder wrote: »
    Just done the video interview, i was horrific at it. Just glad its over.

Me too..... felt wrecked after it, even though it was only 9 minutes. Anyone know did the earlier candidates hear back in about 3 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭InsideEdge

Sarahlaois wrote: »
    Me too..... felt wrecked after it, even though it was only 9 minutes. Anyone know did the earlier candidates hear back in about 3 weeks?

Yes, took just under 3 weeks for the results of the video test to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FlexBrowne

HannahR31 wrote: »
    The Chair opened up by going through my career based on my application form (i.e. she talked through it and I just said 'yep') and then asked if there was anything I was particularly proud of.

Hi. Is this 'live' interview stage 4 of this AP comp? I've done the tests and now doing the Video recorded Interview. 3 x 3 mins.
    Thanks

P

FlexBrowne wrote: »
    Hi. Is this 'live' interview stage 4 of this AP comp? I've done the tests and now doing the Video recorded Interview. 3 x 3 mins.
    Thanks

P

Yes this was the final proper interview with a board.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FlexBrowne

HannahR31 wrote: »
    Yes this was the final proper interview with a board.

Christ. Bit of a long process isn't it. The old Internal comps were a doddle compared to this! Best keep at it. Some day!
    Thanks

• Advertisement

FlexBrowne wrote: »
    Christ. Bit of a long process isn't it. The old Internal comps were a doddle compared to this! Best keep at it. Some day!
    Thanks

Not short for sure!! After the 3x3 video interview is an online simulation exercise (etray) and then the proper interview - and then either way you're done.

Advertisement