Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2020 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭RWC15champions

I reckon they'll have to give another 2 or 3 days.

I think you're right, unless they have the message out at 8am in the morning they will probably give 2 days. Can't see them giving 3 unless it's not sorted tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭beanyb

Did you get a general message advising there would be an extension or did you ask Public Jobs specifically?

I'm due to do my video interview for the AP Comms competition by Thursday but obviously having the same issue with Sonru. Haven't heard anything about an extension!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭glen25

I got a general message saying there was difficulties with Sonru and that another message would issue once the platform was back up running and an extension would be given.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭glen25

Message just received to say that extension has been given until 23:59 on 21/10

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭InsideEdge

I sat my interview today, took me a while to get to grips with the whole thing. It appears they were looking for lots of bite-size examples under each competence rather than one overall example using the STAR framework so that took a bit of a rethink. Overall, not sure what to feel about it apart from relieved that its over! Have to say, it was one of the nicest and most encouraging interview boards I've sat in front of so hopefully that carries over to everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

InsideEdge wrote: »
    I sat my interview today, took me a while to get to grips with the whole thing. It appears they were looking for lots of bite-size examples under each competence rather than one overall example using the STAR framework so that took a bit of a rethink. Overall, not sure what to feel about it apart from relieved that its over! Have to say, it was one of the nicest and most encouraging interview boards I've sat in front of so hopefully that carries over to everyone else.

I also sat my interview yesterday. The change of format was a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Irishder wrote: »
    Just done the video interview, i was horrific at it. Just glad its over.

Me too, my first time ever doing one. No technical problems and the whole interface was easy to use and understand. But I looked 10 years older and sounded rotten! (But I always hate myself on recordings/ photos anyway). I wonder if it was obvious that I was reading my answers from a tablet propped up under my camera...
    Even if only for the experience it was worth it! :D:D

poundhound wrote: »
    I also sat my interview yesterday. The change of format was a surprise.
    I'm hoping they take that into account when it comes to the marking!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 WingAndAPrayer

InsideEdge wrote: »
    I'm hoping they take that into account when it comes to the marking!

I interviewed yesterday and had the same experience as you both. Panel was great but format was different than I expected. Had prepared two answers per competency and expected interjections from the panel with follow-up/clarifying questions. However structure was much more like quick fire questions and at times I was halfway through an answer and would be asked a completely independent question. Think it went reasonably well but would not put money on it either way. Hope it works out for you both.

When do you anticipate hearing regarding results?

I interviewed yesterday and had the same experience as you both. Panel was great but format was different than I expected. Had prepared two answers per competency and expected interjections from the panel with follow-up/clarifying questions. However structure was much more like quick fire questions and at times I was halfway through an answer and would be asked a completely independent question. Think it went reasonably well but would not put money on it either way. Hope it works out for you both.

When do you anticipate hearing regarding results?
    Yes, that was my experience - quick fire questions but I'm sure the marking will reflect the format.

Going on what the people said in the first week of interviews we can expect the results in two or three days. Best of luck to you also!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

Yeah I'm hoping we hear Friday evening. I think they are interviewing on Friday too just going by the interview board info message. I really don't want to wait until next week!
    Had mine this morning - not sure what to think to be honest. Feel I could have answered some things better but trying not to dwell. Best of luck to all going through the same emotional rollercoaster this week! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Just done the video interview thing and then there was an error, one of the videos didn't upload. Flipping nightmare. Logged a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

So lots of you saying you got quick-fire questions. The opposite of what a competency-based interview is supposed to be, which is supposed to follow the STAR format. I wonder did you all have the same interview board? Or if all of the interview boards have been told to do this now?

So lots of you saying you got quick-fire questions. The opposite of what a competency-based interview is supposed to be, which is supposed to follow the STAR format. I wonder did you all have the same interview board? Or if all of the interview boards have been told to do this now?

I can't say I would describe it as 'quick-fire' myself but there were plenty of questions. I still approached my questions with STAR but with a much more succinct S. Less set up, more action. The sense I got from it was that they are trying to manage the time and get as much ground covered as possible. The chairperson described it as such at the start.
    As far as I can tell the board members have been the same for the most part with a substitution stepping in on a day or two.

MrsBean wrote: »
    I can't say I would describe it as 'quick-fire' myself but there were plenty of questions. I still approached my questions with STAR but with a much more succinct S. Less set up, more action. The sense I got from it was that they are trying to manage the time and get as much ground covered as possible. The chairperson described it as such at the start.
    As far as I can tell the board members have been the same for the most part with a substitution stepping in on a day or two.
    Yes, lots of questions - I think when they heard an answer, rather than allow me to waffle too much they just got on to the next question. As you say, there was lots more A and very little S or T!

Hard to tell if the Board is the same without knowing how many people are being interviewed each day. This is the third week of Batch 1 interviews and I haven't heard of anyone interviewing next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SherpaYup

How long would you say the interviews was, for anyone who has done it.

SherpaYup wrote: »
    How long would you say the interviews was, for anyone who has done it.

45 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nicole2020

Pdbtsi wrote: »
    I'm the same, no notification of dates for e-tray yet. Let us know if you have any luck getting through!

Did you hear anything? Or did anyone?

Wondering if it might be delayed due to the problems with the video stage at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭RWC15champions

Just done the video interview thing and then there was an error, one of the videos didn't upload. Flipping nightmare. Logged a ticket.

Did mine earlier and had a load of issues trying to get the sound working on the practice test but it was fine on the real thing.

Did you get sorted after?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Rosia

Nicole2020 wrote: »
    Did you hear anything? Or did anyone?

Wondering if it might be delayed due to the problems with the video stage at the moment...

I also haven't heard anything so I'm assuming it has all been delayed a bit. Would like to get it over with now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CBCB

Rosia wrote: »
    I also haven't heard anything so I'm assuming it has all been delayed a bit. Would like to get it over with now!

I did my etray last night. The link issued on Monday to do it by today.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Treetirty

CBCB wrote: »

This has me worried. I'm at the same stage, the e-tray, and I've never received any notification regarding it.

I tried contacting PAS but all I got as a response was that the invitation to stage 3 would be forthcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nicole2020

I’m a little bit concerned too... when did you get the email saying you’d be receiving the link?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Nicole2020 wrote: »
    I’m a little bit concerned too... when did you get the email saying you’d be receiving the link?

Those in this batch (or sub-segment thereof) received the familiarisation email on 12th October and the link to the test on 19th October, with a deadline of 2pm today 22nd October.

Regarding the format, the etray was significantly different to what was required in the 2018 competition. I found it much more challenging in terms of time pressure, decisions required, information to absorb, etc., I must admit.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Those in this batch (or sub-segment thereof) received the familiarisation email on 12th October and the link to the test on 19th October, with a deadline of 2pm today 22nd October.

Regarding the format, the etray was significantly different to what was required in the 2018 competition. I found it much more challenging in terms of time pressure, decisions required, information to absorb, etc., I must admit.

Did you receive your stage 2 test results on the 2nd of October?

As I find it odd that they seem to have split our batch into two.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 marley83

Agreed, it was very a tough e-tray. I’m not at all confident.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Treetirty wrote: »
    Did you receive your stage 2 test results on the 2nd of October?

As I find it odd that they seem to have split our batch into two.

Yes, it was 2nd October.

It's probably a capacity issue. No doubt you will be doing a dodgy etray on a winter evening soon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CBCB

marley83 wrote: »
    Agreed, it was very a tough e-tray. I’m not at all confident.

Yep, same. Total head melt. Not confident at all.

Yes, it was 2nd October.

It's probably a capacity issue. No doubt you will be doing a dodgy etray on a winter evening soon too.

Thanks for that!

As I was getting worried earlier that we had missed our window.

But I look forward to having my hopes shattered with a dodgy e-tray some winters evening soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Bob Cratchit

Yep, same. Total head melt. Not confident at all.

Me too.

It was very different to the usual format. Different provider I think.

Advertisement