Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2020 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭silverwatch

Hey
    I scored poorly in this competition. Scored very high on verbal and numerical reasoning but what let me down was the management scenarios. I only got 45 out of 80. I was placed 647....
    Anyway, I am now doing these assessments again tonight for the SEO competition in the local authority and for those of you who scored well in the situational judgement / management scenarios, did you go for a broad range of answers.... I can barely remember them but so so so disappointed and would like to do better this time so any tips appreciated...

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Chaos Black

I recommend reviewing the competency wheel on PAS for the relevant role. Each comp has sub bullet points. Be very familiar with them and that should guide your responses as they set out the behavior/traits expected for the role.

The other aspect is of course working with AP's and familiarity of the role through experience but that may not be applicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nicole2020

Hey
    I scored poorly in this competition. Scored very high on verbal and numerical reasoning but what let me down was the management scenarios. I only got 45 out of 80. I was placed 647....
    Anyway, I am now doing these assessments again tonight for the SEO competition in the local authority and for those of you who scored well in the situational judgement / management scenarios, did you go for a broad range of answers.... I can barely remember them but so so so disappointed and would like to do better this time so any tips appreciated...

I got 63 on this segment so not too bad. The thought process I used for a lot of the answers was to try and avoid differing to someone else unless necessary because this is a management position. Also to try and pick across a range of ratings for each answer, generally there should be an obvious high and low and then a variety in between. In saying that, on some of the scenarios I ended up having 2 in a couple of the ratings, especially the ones with a lot of options / answers. There was also one or two where I think all bar one of my answers were in the negative segments.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 MrMistoffelees

Hey

My approach to this was to look at all the options, then start with the most obvious i.e. if there was an action you clearly would or wouldn’t do them rank if highest/ lowest as appropriate. Then I’d look at the other options and score them relative to the first ones. I’m doing the Local Authority SEO tests over the weekend too - good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭dee75

InsideEdge wrote: »
    Is there anyone with any experience of attempting an e-tray exercise? Any tips would be very welcome!

Just a few tips for what worked for me: -
    1. Respond to messages as they arrive in your "inbox".
    2. Make sure your spelling, grammar and language skills are good.
    3. Show that you can manage your time well throughout the e-tray exercise by prioritising emails/assignments effectively.
    4. Where possible, try to show initiative and refer to additional documents provided in the exercise when preparing your response.
    5. Try to ensure your responses address (or attempt to address) the majority of issues mentioned in the exercise.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Bobby2004

Sorry not really related to this comp but can someone tell me if I take up a role in the civil service like an EO position. Am I correct in assuming I cant go for promotions till I have 2 years service completed or can I still apply for open competitions. I kno there will prob be an AO competition upcoming!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Bobby2004 wrote: »
    Sorry not really related to this comp but can someone tell me if I take up a role in the civil service like an EO position. Am I correct in assuming I cant go for promotions till I have 2 years service completed or can I still apply for open competitions. I kno there will prob be an AO competition upcoming!

You can apply for open competitions (if you meet the criteria such as Leaving Cert honours); you can't apply for internal/interdepartmental competitions until you've 2 years service.

My approach to this was to look at all the options, then start with the most obvious i.e. if there was an action you clearly would or wouldn’t do them rank if highest/ lowest as appropriate. Then I’d look at the other options and score them relative to the first ones. I’m doing the Local Authority SEO tests over the weekend too - good luck!

Did mine yesterday evening. Adobe Flash?! Lol!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

If you've been selected for a position, submitted your pre-employment documents and the PAS have contacted your employer, how long might it be before they get in touch regarding commencement of employment? It's quite embarrassing; they required my current employer fill out a reference... the boss knows I've "one foot out the door" the past few weeks, but I have no sure start date yet, so they can't advertise my position. Tis a bit of an awkward situation.

s1ippy wrote: »
    If you've been selected for a position, submitted your pre-employment documents and the PAS have contacted your employer, how long might it be before they get in touch regarding commencement of employment? It's quite embarrassing; they required my current employer fill out a reference... the boss knows I've "one foot out the door" the past few weeks, but I have no sure start date yet, so they can't advertise my position. Tis a bit of an awkward situation.

Depends on where you're being assigned. Some departments will require security clearance, which is done by the guards, which can add time on. No harm asking PAS if they can tell what department it is and following up with that department's HR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

Once you're contacted by your new department's HR you can pretty much determine your start date. They'll ask you for a date that suits so you can make arrangements with your current employer.

Out of interest did they ask you first before they contacted your current employer? I've always been asked to confirm if it's ok for PAS to contact them which I assumed was standard practice to avoid any awkward situations like yours!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

MrsBean wrote: »
    Once you're contacted by your new department's HR you can pretty much determine your start date. They'll ask you for a date that suits so you can make arrangements with your current employer.

Out of interest did they ask you first before they contacted your current employer? I've always been asked to confirm if it's ok for PAS to contact them which I assumed was standard practice to avoid any awkward situations like yours!
    Yes, the agent from PAS requested my employer's details (even though I had given them twice already during the process!), so it gave me a chance to let them know I had been successful in applying for a new role at least. I just feel like I'm leaving them on the line now, since they know I'm going and have kindly offered to waive any notice period required and let me leave whenever the job is due to start (incredibly sound). I'm working away still but I haven't told my colleagues I'm leaving or anything yet, it really feels like I'm going to be waiting a long time!

The department it's for haven't contacted me yet, all my clearance and everything is done. I guess like with basically everything, the cogs move much slower at the moment. I applied for the position back in October last year, I've started in another job since!!

s1ippy wrote: »
    Yes, the agent from PAS requested my employer's details (even though I had given them twice already during the process!), so it gave me a chance to let them know I had been successful in applying for a new role at least. I just feel like I'm leaving them on the line now, since they know I'm going and have kindly offered to waive any notice period required and let me leave whenever the job is due to start (incredibly sound). I'm working away still but I haven't told my colleagues I'm leaving or anything yet, it really feels like I'm going to be waiting a long time!

In my experience the job starts when you say it starts. If you need to give 4 weeks notice then you tell PAS that, if you're ready to start on Monday then you tell them that.
    Very sound of your current employer, but you can repay that soundness by consulting them on your leaving date once you hear from HR.

Yep cogs would be moving fierce slow in the civil service in August! Recently moved departments in the civil service and both HR sections had hardly anyone in them! Given that it's Sept next week I'd say you will hear soon as people return from annual leave or shorter working year.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Brera

Is there anyone with any experience of attempting an e-tray exercise? Any tips would be very welcome!

I would have a piece of paper beside me and right as much of information down on it as you can at the start.

When I did the EO one two years ago you had half an hour at the start to read through the main tasks before it actually started. There was lot of info about organising a schedule ie certain people can’t do certain days etc

It’s would be useful to have that written down at the start so your not wasting time going back forth between screens checking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 lilt

Does anyone know if you can look at the prep material more than once? Haven't opened it yet in case I get locked out after a quick look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Its not really prep material, just a walk through of the screen and tabs you will be using.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

Does anyone have a good practice etray site ?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭supersaint3

Hi all, did this yesterday and couldn't see straight after it it is mentally exhausting. A tip, after the 90 minute exercise there's a timed 15 minute survey of 10 or so questions the last one being 'is there anything else you would like the examiner to know' from which I take it that the answers to these questions are examined for want of a better word. I had to leave as my time was tight and so I might a very light and rushed pass at these questions, just be expecting them, I didn't see any forewarning of them coming after the 90

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dasi

lilt wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can look at the prep material more than once? Haven't opened it yet in case I get locked out after a quick look.

I just took a look; once you've done the tutorial you can't go back to t.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭InsideEdge

Hi all, did this yesterday and couldn't see straight after it it is mentally exhausting. A tip, after the 90 minute exercise there's a timed 15 minute survey of 10 or so questions the last one being 'is there anything else you would like the examiner to know' from which I take it that the answers to these questions are examined for want of a better word. I had to leave as my time was tight and so I might a very light and rushed pass at these questions, just be expecting them, I didn't see any forewarning of them coming after the 90
    Just finished and it is mentally exhausting but the time flies by so don't get too bogged down in any one query. I missed one query due to running out of time - another 20 seconds would have done it! The survey at the end is a bit weird, 15 minutes to answer a set of self-reflective questions with little time to think so I'm hoping that they don't examine this part of it. Anyway, best of luck to those who still have to do it!

• Advertisement

Just finished and it is mentally exhausting but the time flies by so don't get too bogged down in any one query. I missed one query due to running out of time - another 20 seconds would have done it! The survey at the end is a bit weird, 15 minutes to answer a set of self-reflective questions with little time to think so I'm hoping that they don't examine this part of it. Anyway, best of luck to those who still have to do it!

Just finished it there myself, not sure whether I delegated too much or too little!

Missed the last query but tried to justify it in the little survey at the end so fingers crossed!

I did it first thing this morning, not feeling too confident with how it went but sure it's done now. Confused as to the level of influence the responses in the survey afterwards will have on it? I wasn't feeling particularly self-reflective at that stage! Of course things dawned on me to say after I had submitted it..
    Best of luck to everyone and here's hoping they put us out of our misery sooner rather than later!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Herriott

Just wondering if anyone else experienced technical difficulties with the etray? It froze while I was doing mine, pretty gutting.

I did it first thing this morning, not feeling too confident with how it went but sure it's done now. Confused as to the level of influence the responses in the survey afterwards will have on it? I wasn't feeling particularly self-reflective at that stage! Of course things dawned on me to say after I had submitted it..
    Best of luck to everyone and here's hoping they put us out of our misery sooner rather than later!

None? You're being evaluated on the etray, not the feedback survey.

None? You're being evaluated on the etray, not the feedback survey.

I hope so. The wording of it implied what you write in there would be considered by the assessor and just threw me a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭supersaint3

I hope so. The wording of it implied what you write in there would be considered by the assessor and just threw me a bit.

My view is that this should have been advertised it's clear it will be read at the very least my examiner and or course they will take it into account at least unconsciously. If I knew it was coming I would have left time for it and gave it the consideration it deserved

When do people think the results will be out from the etray ?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Bobby2004

Just a question or two if anyone can answer. Should there be much movement in counties outside Dublin in the coming months for all grades from EO to AP. I had heard there was to be a lot of retirements in October after 2% increase. Is westmeath usually a fast moving county with a lot of gov departments? I was told by PAS there 3 candidates between me and a position. For instance in email I was told there is no foreseeable vacancies but yet they have interviewed a whole other batch which I fin second in.

Bobby2004 wrote: »
    Just a question or two if anyone can answer. Should there be much movement in counties outside Dublin in the coming months for all grades from EO to AP. I had heard there was to be a lot of retirements in October after 2% increase. Is westmeath usually a fast moving county with a lot of gov departments? I was told by PAS there 3 candidates between me and a position. For instance in email I was told there is no foreseeable vacancies but yet they have interviewed a whole other batch which I fin second in.

Check what government departments are in any county. That'll give you a clue. Small offices/agencies, not much movement. Big chunk of a department, much better chance.

Westmeath would have a large chunk of the Department of Education and the State Exams Commission, as well as all the usual Social Welfare and Revenue offices, so would be better for movement than most midlands counties, i'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

When do people think the results will be out from the etray ?

The sooner the better. I was extremely disappointed and angry with myself after my exercise. I didn't deal with all the e-mails and I know I neglected one high priority item.
    In fairness, I felt dejected after the numerical reasoning psychometric test but passed. My only hope is that a minimum mark of 40% is also required in the etray.

It's the hope that kills.

Advertisement