Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Gonzo wrote: »
    nmmuk-6-31-0.png?24-17

Surely this chart is a bit OTT for Ireland.

Still looks amazing though. Not often you see that at all for our little country. Just hoping to see some decent lightning and hear continuous thunder in Dublin even if it's only for a couple of hours. I'll be happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

nmmuk-6-31-0.png?24-17

Everybody to Kildare/Meath so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

To Alcohol wrote: »
    What about cats?

They're more 'chill'.

cats-chicken-hat

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    They're more 'chill'.

cats-chicken-hat

2 of our indoor cats would disagree with you on that. I can guarantee there will be dogs around here going nuts tomorrow if the thunder and lightning starts.
    Is it due to get windy as well, wondering should I take the parasol down

• Registered Users Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

pad199207 wrote: »
    Everybody to Kildare/Meath so ;)

What are you babbling about?

Dublin's in there like swim wear.

This is our moment :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Looking forward to tomorrow. Will make the most of the sunny weather in the morning so I'll get the grass cut and ill do a few errands. Back at lunchtime to relax and hopefully we wil see some activity by evening. I'm in West Dublin, near Kildare so I may even jump in the car and drive inland if storms are in the area.

Ok I’ll say Greater Dublin then. Does that sound better? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

I have to drive from Dublin to cavan from 12 pm tomorrow evening then back down to Oldcastle, Trim direction on way back then home looks like im in for some night have two dashcams and two cameras fully charged ready to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

pad199207 wrote: »

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

North Sligo and South Donegal will be the place to be again tomorrow.
    It got a serious going over the last weekend.
    Mullaghmore head across to Killibegs and around Bundoran and Donegal Town I'm thinking looking at the runs after dusk.

Some big storms over northern Spain earlier today and it this same air mass that will bring tomorrow's potential up over the east of Ireland.

DJxjI3C.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

nmmuk-6-31-0.png?24-17

Lifted index values rarely go below -7. Is this chart a nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Sky is spectacular here in north Dublin particularly looking east. Charred up and not dissimilar to what you'd see in the US mid west desert regions this time of year.

Unusual to see here and screaming instability to come :cool:

Took a pic of it earlier, south coast near kinsale.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

it's very unlikely to be as intense as that shows. If we get to half that level of risk we are doing really well. Even for the south-eastern UK you don't see thunderstorm risk charts that intense very often.

I'd be happy just to see a few flashes of lightning tomorrow night, i'm hoping it stays mostly dry, warm and sunny during daylight hours tomorrow to get the most out of the potential heat.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭mike2084

Is North Kerry out of the firing line tomorrow? I ask this as being one of the few on here that's terrified of thunderstorms :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Not only is it nonsense, it's absolute nonsense.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

AROME as high as 1500 to 1600 J/Kj in places, dont see that every day and quite a reliable model, not one to overdo it that is for sure.

2041_vuu6.png

960_hvx2.png

182_kla0.png

573_gyp9.png

2107_fbf9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Paso Fino

Charging up the GoPro with the hopes that we'll get some sparks in North Dublin - everything crossed that we get a good show

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

If Cork misses out again, I'm going to move.

• Advertisement

What a sky
    B64-C90-F7-7-A90-46-C7-9366-A13-D92-A4-D273.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Another sky pic.. like a painting!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Anyone know why or what weather pattern caused the lovely cloudscapes this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Those alcotumuls floccus and castellanus were reported at 11,000-12,000 feet at Dublin Airport and Casement tonight. Layers of upper instability, as seen in this ECM sounding for the Dublin area at 21Z. That moist layer just above 700 hPa will be the source of the instability that formed the clouds.

517666.png

It's that type of late evening where everything is still and you can hear sounds from miles away. Currently listening to the delightful sound of droney boy racer cars having some sort of rally somewhere.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    If Cork misses out again, I'm going to move.

Cork just isn't geographically suited to storms I think. Big old pool of deep permanently cold ocean on your doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    It's that type of late evening where everything is still and you can hear sounds from miles away. Currently listening to the delightful sound of droney boy racer cars having some sort of rally somewhere.

Afew of the townlands having Bonfire Night tonight, plumes of smoke drifting over the fields and bogs

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I am going to temporarily close this thread for today and tonight.

All discussion for today and tonight's (potential) events >>> https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058090101

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

(Moved post from event thread )

More on the way today ( edit ), might even see sparks in the SW. Some very heavy showers showing up and getting breezy and windy on the coasts.

ECM showing decent CAPE values in Leinster earlier in the day and later in Northern counties. Early afternoon very decent CAPE values in the SW, fair chance of thunderstorms and possibly a few along Southern coasts also.

Lapse rates good, Low level shear good. Deep layer Shear not bad, Lapse rates very good with very cold uppers spreading inland during the day. Bit of a negative tilt on the upper Low, nice vorticity , might see a few funnels.

So, over to us in the SW tomorrow afternoon, we will show you how it is done :D

rnUj3pb.png

lVKknxqENAKV.png

yx1UdwK.png

VuRB9Bl.png

36hPpxd.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Radar starting to look very lively up north now.

Advertisement