Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Scrabbel

Incredible gig, was there too. Many thought the lightning was part of the gig's light show! It a spectacular climax to one of the best gigs I've ever experienced

Or Waterfront: Get in Get out of the rain

Or Big Sleep: Communication lost in the thundering rain style, A shelter from the storm in the early beginning

What I beautiful night that was.If only the memory could be framed and hung on a wall

Absolutely! And I’m only just remembering now that their album at the time was “Sparkle in the Rain”. Hope it does tomorrow night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Scrabbel wrote: »
    Absolutely! And I’m only just remembering now that their album at the time was “Sparkle in the Rain”. Hope it does tomorrow night.

Not to mention that the main support act that day was the waterboys !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Not that gob****e again. Every day is a warning day for him. Pure clickbait.

He's a cockwomble and I've called him out again on his page. In other news I'm gearing up for the night myself so hopefully it's lively.

Status Yellow - Thunder warning for Ireland
    Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy thunderstorms are expected to develop later on Thursday and Thursday night with some severe downpours, hail and spot flooding. Due to the localised nature of thunderstorms some parts of the country will remain dry.

Valid: 16:00 Thursday 25/06/2020 to 09:00 Friday 26/06/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Status Yellow - Thunder warning for Ireland
    Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy thunderstorms are expected to develop later on Thursday and Thursday night with some severe downpours, hail and spot flooding. Due to the localised nature of thunderstorms some parts of the country will remain dry.

Valid: 16:00 Thursday 25/06/2020 to 09:00 Friday 26/06/2020

I'm a little surprised at the mention of hail as the freezing level will be at 3.0-3.5 km and the CAPE profile fairly skinny. Maybe shear and a bit more forcing from the upper trough will help.

• Advertisement

Lots of altocumulus visible here in Arklow at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Few heavy showers off West Coast and a spark to the South

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I'm a little surprised at the mention of hail as the freezing level will be at 3.0-3.5 km and the CAPE profile fairly skinny. Maybe shear and a bit more forcing from the upper trough will help.
    Mr. Jetstream on the latest UK Met video forecast mentioned the possibility of hail as well for the UK with these showers.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Loads of good quality live stream cameras along the South Coast of the UK to check out tomorrow for storms

Live cams in United Kingdom
    https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/united-kingdom.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Latest 'significant' weather offering from the ECMWF for midnight tomorrow night:

tmaXUMN.png

Pretty much on track with the increased chance of a little something for the NW region as well (pink = thunderstorm possibility/dark pink = severe thunderstorm)

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Bye Gorey.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Latest 'significant' weather offering from the ECMWF for midnight tomorrow night:

tmaXUMN.png

Pretty much on track with the increased chance of a little something for the NW region as well (pink = thunderstorm possibility/dark pink = severe thunderstorm)

Sunset to sunrise occasional storms for the east on the ECM :cool:

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Bye Gorey.

Hey wait, I'm also under that maybe :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

nothing over Meath as usual!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Seven Septs

Gonzo wrote: »

Don't worry Gonzo. Cathal Nolan has Meath in his red zone. That's the greatest reassurance anyone could have ;)

Sky is spectacular here in north Dublin particularly looking east. Charred up and not dissimilar to what you'd see in the US mid west desert regions this time of year.

Unusual to see here and screaming instability to come :cool:

Gonzo wrote: »

It's just indicative. Chill. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I seen them alright. Good sign of instability, as so late in the day. would you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

jimmynokia wrote: »

No Comment

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

The sky over Dublin 8 is amazing, can you guys tell me what kind of clouds these are? I don’t remember seeing a sky like this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

Well guys and gals im a bit late to this, i see its a country wide yellow but is there a region that is most at risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

*eadaoin wrote: »
    The sky over Dublin 8 is amazing, can you guys tell me what kind of clouds these are? I don’t remember seeing a sky like this before.

Altocumulus. Sky is class in Wexford as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Interesting....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

In meteorology, altocumulus castellanus (ACCAS) is a cloud type named for its tower-like projections that billow upwards from the base of the cloud. The base of the cloud can form as low as 2,000 metres (6,500 feet), or as high as 6,000 metres (20,000 feet). They are very similar to cumulus congestus clouds, but at a higher level and with the cloud heaps joined at the base.

Castellanus clouds are evidence of mid-atmospheric instability and a high mid-altitude lapse rate.[1] They may be a harbinger of heavy showers and thunderstorms and, if surface-based convection can connect to the mid-tropospheric unstable layer, continued development of Castellanus clouds can produce cumulonimbus clouds.

Great cloud scape this evening, looks like on the continent.

Thanks for that, now I can fill up with details on Google :)

Thanks for that, now I can fill up with details on Google :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Popcorn clouds. Seeing them in Dublin 16 too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Models dialing in now, some differences in intensity and timing,WRF way out in front showing the highest Dp's and showing the highest rainfall . One common trend I think is the chance of 1 or multiple severe storms moving into or along the SE and up along the E early Fri morning. Prime location for a MCS perhaps ?

Q9MXKvm.gif

k3Ninwf.gif

anim_ker1.gif

anim_zlv9.gif

anim_ydk5.gif

Advertisement