Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Looking west in Arklow
    Sunset

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

D6..... looks amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 23,470 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Very much on track

euro4_uk1-1-39-0.png?24-17

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

One gets the feeling tomorrow could be a memorable day.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I'm getting excited!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

those strange clouds are here now in Meath too, last time I seen clouds like that was in Murcia (Spain) and the following day was a day filled with thunder, lightning and rivers of soapy looking water running down the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I'd urge everyone to grab a look at the sky if you are in the east before the sun goes lower particularly looking east. Very rare to see this type of sky here.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yes, apparently they are Altocumulus floccus and not castellanus

• Advertisement

anim_zlv9.gif

MCS :D ...but we don't want it at 5 am of course - we want at 1 am for max effect :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KildareP

Right in the firing line for both the office and the house. I might well be working late followed by an as yet unknown commute time home!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Just pity we have the latest sunsets now as a lot of the activity will occur in daylight hours late tomorrow evening. Such a waste of good lightning credits.

Getting picky now...

KildareP wrote: »
    Right in the firing line for both the office and the house. I might well be working late followed by an as yet unknown commute time home!!

ddf1482dcd4dc5fc267cfa0a6c0cd720.gif

ddf1482dcd4dc5fc267cfa0a6c0cd720.gif

The dashcam will be running with the biggest SD card I can get my hands on :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I think the W, NW could have some lively storms tomorrow evening/ night, a lot of Deep Layer Shear showing up there . Convergence zones all over the place.

jqXrX7k.gif

H98W5P1.png

Just pity we have the latest sunsets now as a lot of the activity will occur in daylight hours late tomorrow evening. Such a waste of good lightning credits.

Getting picky now...

I'm kinda thinking the same - i'm not really as interested in a storm after 3 am.

23:30 - 03:00 is prime if this is to be truly memorable.

Looks like we may well get that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

fDkrbEU.png

... NORTHERN IRELAND / REPUBLIC OF IRELAND ...
    A few elevated showers/thunderstorms may be possible over Ulster during Thursday morning, clearing northwards. Elsewhere, a northward-moving shortwave may result in some elevated convection developing in the vicinity of the Isles of Scilly / Celtic Sea on Thursday morning, which may bring both an increase in mid-level cloud and perhaps a few elevated showers/thunderstorms into SE Ireland by early afternoon, continuing to lift north with time. Even if this elevated convection is not deep enough to produce lightning, the additional cloud cover spilling north may have some negative impact on surface heating. Assuming the cloud is not too extensive and/or fairly broken, diurnal heating could yield 500-1,000 J/kg CAPE by the afternoon and evening hours. Profiles look capped to surface-based convection initially, but mid-level cooling and lift associated with the aforementioned shortwave could lead to scattered thunderstorms erupting during the evening hours (if not earlier), especially in the vicinity of the Central Plain.

Similar to western Scotland (albeit profiles slightly more V-B-V), for a few hours the environment would be favourable for cell organisation and possibly supercells capable of producing large hail 3-4cm in diameter, frequent lightning and strong outflow gusts. A SVR has been issued primarily for the risk of locally damaging hail and flash flooding. This will be dependent on sufficient surface heating, otherwise surface-based convection may struggle to initiate. Either way, stronger forcing aloft will arrive towards mid-evening, and so thunderstorms are likely to become more numerous and increasingly elevated, especially across central/northern Ireland and eventually drifting northwards offshore over the Atlantic and towards the Hebrides. With several thunderstorms potentially training over similar areas, this will bring the risk of local flooding. Most storms will generally drift to the N or NNW, but if mid-level rotation becomes strong enough some may deviate more to the NE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Some very interesting cloud formations in cork city tonight aswell, kind of looks like they are being pulled apart and some are like popcorn! Very humid night aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

Some very interesting cloud formations in cork city tonight aswell, kind of looks like they are being pulled apart and some are like popcorn! Very humid night aswell

Balmy! 19c at 9 o clock, not too often we get evenings this pleasant in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Could be quite the show up through Leinster if all goes to plan.

fDkrbEU.png

... NORTHERN IRELAND / REPUBLIC OF IRELAND ...
    A few elevated showers/thunderstorms may be possible over Ulster during Thursday morning, clearing northwards. Elsewhere, a northward-moving shortwave may result in some elevated convection developing in the vicinity of the Isles of Scilly / Celtic Sea on Thursday morning, which may bring both an increase in mid-level cloud and perhaps a few elevated showers/thunderstorms into SE Ireland by early afternoon, continuing to lift north with time. Even if this elevated convection is not deep enough to produce lightning, the additional cloud cover spilling north may have some negative impact on surface heating. Assuming the cloud is not too extensive and/or fairly broken, diurnal heating could yield 500-1,000 J/kg CAPE by the afternoon and evening hours. Profiles look capped to surface-based convection initially, but mid-level cooling and lift associated with the aforementioned shortwave could lead to scattered thunderstorms erupting during the evening hours (if not earlier), especially in the vicinity of the Central Plain.

Similar to western Scotland (albeit profiles slightly more V-B-V), for a few hours the environment would be favourable for cell organisation and possibly supercells capable of producing large hail 3-4cm in diameter, frequent lightning and strong outflow gusts. A SVR has been issued primarily for the risk of locally damaging hail and flash flooding. This will be dependent on sufficient surface heating, otherwise surface-based convection may struggle to initiate. Either way, stronger forcing aloft will arrive towards mid-evening, and so thunderstorms are likely to become more numerous and increasingly elevated, especially across central/northern Ireland and eventually drifting northwards offshore over the Atlantic and towards the Hebrides. With several thunderstorms potentially training over similar areas, this will bring the risk of local flooding. Most storms will generally drift to the N or NNW, but if mid-level rotation becomes strong enough some may deviate more to the NE.

Good grief.

Don't think I've seen a convective weather forecast that serious for Ireland!

I know it's not a given but hail 3-4cm isn't going to have a pleasant outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Just a side note for anyone reading through these threads. the amount of dogs that go missing during thunderstorms is very high so keep them in tomorrow evening/night.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Just a side note for anyone reading through these threads. the amount of dogs that go missing during thunderstorms is very high so keep them in tomorrow evening/night.

What about cats?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

sun just gone down dramatically,west Mayo.

FYH1Fpcr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

To Alcohol wrote: »
    What about cats?

The weather does equality hence the term cats and dogs

Looking forward to seeing what this system has tomorrow serious show hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Sun down ,west Mayo.

[IMG][/img]IMG-5182.jpg

[IMG][/img]IMG-5185.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

All charged up and ready to go here

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

nmmuk-6-31-0.png?24-17

Surely this chart is a bit OTT for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

Gonzo wrote: »
    nmmuk-6-31-0.png?24-17

Surely this chart is a bit OTT for Ireland.

It’s crazy, the midlands is going to the hit pretty hard I reckon predicted 28

Advertisement