Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I luv storms

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Things are now looking quite active for the late overnight and Sunday morning time frame, unstable westerly flow with embedded troughs will be the scenario, possible fast moving squally showers or thunderstorms, small hail, local wind damage, under a strong jet stream that looks like it got lost on the way to October or November.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Things are now looking quite active for the late overnight and Sunday morning time frame, unstable westerly flow with embedded troughs will be the scenario, possible fast moving squally showers or thunderstorms, small hail, local wind damage, under a strong jet stream that looks like it got lost on the way to October or November.

Any parts of the country at most risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

That hot spot looks around Thurles / Cashel or thereabouts ?

Near Sligo features well.

23YZwj5.png

I'd assume that spot is some sort of error? Hard to believe one random non-descript spot in Tipperary is by far the most thundery place in the country!

Also locally I think I've only experienced thunder/lightning once this year so the Donegal colours seem a bit generous

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

The West and Northwest look like bearing the brunt of this with 120kph gusts possible in Finner or Sligo airport

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I'd assume that spot is some sort of error? Hard to believe one random non-descript spot in Tipperary is by far the most thundery place in the country!

Also locally I think I've only experienced thunder/lightning once this year so the Donegal colours seem a bit generous

Must look into it further when I have time .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

that thunder chart is certainly right for my area, south-east Meath with a grey colour showing 0 days of thunder and lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

What isn't an error is that blank spot through NE Kildare. Have seen f all here this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Seems about right for here, underplaying it if anything as we had a fair amount of days with thunder observed during the first quart of the year.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Gonzo wrote: »
    that thunder chart is certainly right for my area, south-east Meath with a grey colour showing 0 days of thunder and lightning.

its wrong for parts of East wicklow anyway as all of east wicklow had last weekends storms
    Here in SE Wicklow I've had 3, I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Mortelaro wrote: »
    its wrong for parts of East wicklow anyway as all of east wicklow had last weekends storms
    Here in SE Wicklow I've had 3, I think

Seems the map is based on Sferic data, which is at best crap and at worst, downright misleading as it only picks up a fraction of lightning occurrences in reality with a bias toward cloud to ground.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

As to potential overnight and Sunday, would say all regions have potential since the prime generator will be unstable troughs embedded in fast westerly flow. At a guess, the Galway to Dublin corridor perhaps more favoured than other areas but differential may be slight. There seems to have been a downgrade as far as met service are concerned but I was surprised to see that after first checking the latest obs since those had come in about as expected.

In any case, this would likely become a nowcasting challenge through the period especially Sunday morning, so stay tuned, radar watching commences shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Gusts here 20 minutes ago, Sneem area without power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Several sferics reported over the Irish sea this morning. Squally morning with convection about

Met.ie showing potential thunderstorm activity in west Kerry at 6 am tomorrow.

Any further info on the likelihood of this occurring ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Met.ie showing potential thunderstorm activity in west Kerry at 6 am tomorrow.

Any further info on the likelihood of this occurring ?

I would be surprised if this were to materialise. Thunderstorm activity in a relatively flat-line west-to-east flow at this time of year is quite rare.

Danno wrote: »
    I would be surprised if this were to materialise. Thunderstorm activity in a relatively flat-line west-to-east flow at this time of year is quite rare.

Met.ie now showing thunderstorms at 8 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 repulsebay321

Heavy downpours in Cork in the last hour.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Fri ( low chance in the W ), early Sat morning ( passage of an unstable trough ) and Sat some chance of thunderstorms, more so Saturday from the afternoon. Charts showing cold uppers spread over the country on Saturday, decent shear and lapse rates coinciding with peak diurnal heating possible. Heavy showers, some of hail maybe. Would think the Eastern half of the country with best chance of thunderstorms as convection matures as it crosses the country from W to E. Some nice convergence near the S and E coasts.

SpXkQgS.gif

6pWgeiO.png

P07xhXP.gif

An interesting day Saturday perhaps during the passage of an unstable trough producing heavy showers and giving thunderstorm potential.

GN1Ow8T.gif

oQ73s06.gif

anim_hel1.gif

ohzGjiZ.gif

• Advertisement

Hi Res AROME looking good for some thunderstorms tomorrow.

anim_maz4.gif

anim_hra8.gif

S, SE and E look like getting the heaviest rain tomorrow afternoon as convection matures crossing the country into the evening ( parts of the Midlands and N could see heavy rain also ), a bit of spot flooding in a few places perhaps.

DP's 12 to 14C in general .

Thinking that it might be possible to get warnings perhaps if thunderstorms materialize to some extent in the afternoon as they progress across the country .

anim_hfp1.gif

anim_gba6.gif

JKZAcKr.gif

anim_rig9.gif

pTxcAnu.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Scrabbel

Fairly decent chances for E and SE this afternoon/evening according to this too:
    http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2020-07-25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Thunder rumbling, SE Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭cml387

Yep, rolls of thunder in Clonmel.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

cml387 wrote: »
    Yep, rolls of thunder in Clonmel.

nice looking cell near you there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Have a look now. Some huge cells emerging now and been aided by the sun.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Strike now just north of Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Torrential rain in Kildare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

lights flickered, waterford city, no lighting in the area though

Advertisement