Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Danno wrote: »
    Thursday July 25th and Friday July 26th 1985
    Thursday June 25th and Friday June 26th 2020

34 years and 11 months.

Could it be? :D

Your post just made me realize how old I am
    Definitely over due an event like 1985

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭highdef

Anyone remember this storm in June 1986, or is the date wrong in the RTE archive?

https://www.rte.ie/archives/collections/news/21219093-thunder-and-lightning-storm-damage/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

highdef wrote: »
    Anyone remember this storm in June 1986, or is the date wrong in the RTE archive?

https://www.rte.ie/archives/collections/news/21219093-thunder-and-lightning-storm-damage/

Yeah we had storms two years in a row, both were severe here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

RobertKK wrote: »
    Yeah we had storms two years in a row, both were severe here.

Yeah,I remember both.
    Cows killed next door to me in a milking parlour
    I remember getting the cows in here on a sunday morning and hearing the constant rolling thunder towards Gorey
    When it came overhead it lasted a few hours,blew a load of ESB transformers and was very loud
    The lightning was most intense and continuous
    On milking the last round of cows,as the storm was fully overhead,the whole place lit up with a deafening gunshot bang and roll cutting the power
    It was at that time too that the cows were killed next door
    Very very dangerous

highdef wrote: »

That one in the video I remember very well too,we were at the simple minds concert at croke park
    It was a very hot day and as the concert was ending,you could see the forks of lightning from inside the stadium
    We actually walked out to goatstown, a long walk with said forks everywhere but no rain and the booming
    Street lights were dimming
    I will always remember one fork that came down beside the tower at RTÉ with a deafening crash of noise but still no rain
    We managed to get back to the house we were staying in as the heaven's opened
    The storm went on most of the night,power was off even in south Dublin
    The world cup final was on the next day,it rained all that day too with floods but the thunder had gone at that stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

34 years and 11 months.

I keep saying its like being in a time warp, back to the eighties. Weather is similar, restrictions mean less traffic, bigger hair and if i see leg warmers that'll confirm it!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Scrabbel

Mortelaro wrote: »
    That one in the video I remember very well too,we were at the simple minds concert at croke park
    It was a very hot day and as the concert was ending,you could see the forks of lightning from inside the stadium
    We actually walked out to goatstown, a long walk with said forks everywhere but no rain and the booming
    I will always remember one fork that came down beside the tower at RTÉ with a deafening crash of noise but still no rain
    The world cup final was on the next day,it rained all that day too with floods but the thunder had gone at that stage

I was at that concert too. The lightning was even happening during “Someone, Somewhere in Summertime“. Spectacular. Seemed so apt:
    https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/simpleminds/someonesomewhereinsummertime.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

I thought this was only a east and south east event. Didn't expect anything here in Limerick.

I thought this was only a east and south east event. Didn't expect anything here in Limerick.

Hard to say yet,I'd expect the East and South and Midlands to be guaranteed action and I'd certainly include East limerick in that
    But all we know at this stage is the cook, mother nature is at the shops ,dinner is served tomorrow and we'll know then how big a Spread she puts on for us,we should be able to peep into the kitchen tomorrow beforehand to get a fair idea

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

34 years and 11 months.

I was about to post the exact same thing...

The 06Z ECM has a slight boost in CAPE tomorrow evening but similar overnight.

517592.gif

517591.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Just saying to my wife about the thunder risk for tomorrow if she wanted to get a run in early in the day and I said do you remember the storm of 85, we'd never discussed it before...

She says, "remember it? I was rinsing dishes after dinner, (age 9, southside Dublin) and lightning struck and travelled through the pipework and steel sink, blew me across the kitchen and into the hall, left me with standy up frizzy hair!"

Now she's bricking having to work on her laptop all day! Oops!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

The signs are good for tomorrow. I just hope it doesn't all fizzle out and turns into a damp squib.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭squarecircles

I hope the lighting isn't a damp squid either.

Grins*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭giveitholly

The signs are good for tomorrow. I just hope it doesn't all fizzle out and turns into a damp squib.

No doubt you will be the first to let us know if it does turn into a damp squib

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Gamma Flash

I'd say put lightning alarm app on her laptop so could go to battery and wireless if comes too close.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Gamma Flash

As an aside slightly off topic but after "lightening" and "lightning" a few weeks ago do i sense a "squib" and "squid" debate!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Careful now

c2cfa11ddd97df5360ac2a5e3eb8db25.gif

This time tomorrow folks the storms will be building :D

Daily weather summaries for July 1985 at a few stations along the eastern half of the country. Although the system moved up from the south, Rosslare only reported thunder (TS) on the 26th whereas the others reported on both days (I remember hearing the first thunder at around 8 pm on the Thursday evening as I was horseriding in north Co. Dublin).

Dublin Airport
    Clones
    Kilkenny
    Rosslare

I missed the regular Thursday evening Top of the Pops that evening. This was number 1 that week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Incredible gig, was there too. Many thought the lightning was part of the gig's light show! It a spectacular climax to one of the best gigs I've ever experienced
    Scrabbel wrote: »
    I was at that concert too. The lightning was even happening during “Someone, Somewhere in Summertime“. Spectacular. Seemed so apt:
    https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/simpleminds/someonesomewhereinsummertime.html

Or Waterfront: Get in Get out of the rain

Or Big Sleep: Communication lost in the thundering rain style, A shelter from the storm in the early beginning

What I beautiful night that was.If only the memory could be framed and hung on a wall

I'd say put lightning alarm app on her laptop so could go to battery and wireless if comes too close.

Ah yeah I'll be working at home myself and keeping a very keen eye on things! I'll plug her machine out from the mains and my own for that matter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Would it be jinxing it if someone was to set up a dedicated thread for this event?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

Cork missing out on the fun so :(

jimmynokia wrote: »

Not that gob****e again. Every day is a warning day for him. Pure clickbait.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

He's giving out prizes!

Clearly no interest in accurate forecasts, just gaining followers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Hard to say yet,I'd expect the East and South and Midlands to be guaranteed action and I'd certainly include East limerick in that
    But all we know at this stage is the cook, mother nature is at the shops ,dinner is served tomorrow and we'll know then how big a Spread she puts on for us,we should be able to peep into the kitchen tomorrow beforehand to get a fair idea

Guaranteed and thunderstorms don't go together :D

I remember living in London around 6 or 7 years back during a plume, huge widespread thunderstorm were forecast and everyone on netweather was salivating at the perfect setup. There was a huge MCS in France the evening before it though and all the high cloud from it spilled across the channel overnight which blocked the sun from generating enough heat. Think we ended up with a few measly storms in the channel that died as soon as they got north of Bournemouth!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭KildareP

JCX BXC wrote: »
    He's giving out prizes!

Clearly no interest in accurate forecasts, just gaining followers.

All that is missing is a "This lightning forecast is proudly brought to you by Belkin - surge protection like no other".

vickers209 wrote: »
    Would it be jinxing it if someone was to set up a dedicated thread for this event?

Let things resolve a bit first, maybe tomorrow AM?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

An hour of intense action will do me, preferably after dark. But a repeat of '85/'86 would be off the scale. Having witnessed both those storms, I haven't witnessed anything similar in Ireland since, only abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Everyone remain calm :D

**** it, go nuts

Advertisement