Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    lights flickered, waterford city, no lighting in the area though

Gotten quite muggy as well

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Very nasty sky over Newcastle Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Some pretty crazy torential rain falling in the Clonsilla area over the past 20 minutes , still heavy enough ATM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Just been a rumble of thunder in Dublin 5 - didn't see any lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Thunder now in D22

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Proper rumble of thunder in Ashbourne. It's been years since I've heard one that loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Big flash and bang in D15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

D11 flash and thunder clap which sounded like it was directly above

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

Not a weather person so sorry if you are already talking about this, about a minute ago the loudest crack of thunder and flash of lightning I have seen/heard in a long time right over my house, Finglas

Edit: Wasn't aware of any weather warnings!

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

Big flash and bang in D15.

Yup, got to a count of 2 before the thunder, best one in a long while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Not a weather person so sorry if you are already talking about this, about a minute ago the loudest crack of thunder and flash of lightning I have seen/heard in a long time right over my house, Finglas

Plus 1 to this. Ive never heard anything like that before. And a blinding flash of lightening seconds before!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Nice flash and rumble in Lucan. That was quite a downpour for the last half hour.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Showers are dodging me in Dublin 16! Just a few spits here. Very dark to my west and north.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Alpha Romeo

I'm down near the village and I have never heard anything like that in my life!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Massive boom in dn 20 didn't see any flash but.

Plus 1 to this. Ive never heard anything like that before. And a blinding flash of lightening seconds before!

It was pretty much the same time for me, I live in an old house (2 foot thick walls and double glazing) and it was like i was outside, very cool!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

It was pretty much the same time for me, I live in an old house (2 foot thick walls and double glazing) and it was like i was outside, very cool!:)

I saw the flash so was prepared for a rumble but still jumped out of my seat! Amazing.

I saw the flash so was prepared for a rumble but still jumped out of my seat! Amazing.

Moar please, these events are so rare here, still dark but nothing since

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Nothing happening but rain here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Looks to be nothing behind whatever is crossing the country now. Was a good old rumble hear in D9, loudest in a good time.

If torrential rain is your thing, the NW trumps again. At odds with the worst of things being forecast for the South and East. Nothing in warnings for the NW. If anything, the SE counties in the warning didn't even bare the brunt of the southern band. I sometimes don't understand why ME don't look at the radar and adjust. Fair enough it's short notice but if you're going to have a warning out in the first place for 20-30mm of rain (risk of), then watch the radar for developments. EDIT: I guess there's a small bit more activity heading towards the ME warning counties so maybe they will end up worst out if that beefs up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

John.Icy wrote: »
    Looks to be nothing behind whatever is crossing the country now. Was a good old rumble hear in D9, loudest in a good time.

If torrential rain is your thing, the NW trumps again. At odds with the worst of things being forecast for the South and East. Nothing in warnings for the NW. If anything, the SE counties in the warning didn't even bare the brunt of the southern band. I sometimes don't understand why ME don't look at the radar and adjust. Fair enough it's short notice but if you're going to have a warning out in the first place for 20-30mm of rain (risk of), then watch the radar for developments. EDIT: I guess there's a small bit more activity heading towards the ME warning counties so maybe they will end up worst out if that beefs up.

Agree with you completely, when I saw the warning I was scratching my head wondering do ME look at their own radar where it could be clearly seen the worst weather was in the North West.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

according to the charts the widespread thunder storms don't start until 6-7 ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Agree with you completely, when I saw the warning I was scratching my head wondering do ME look at their own radar where it could be clearly seen the worst weather was in the North West.
    The NW has the most unpredictable weather in all of Ireland.

Nothing but a few spits here all day. Pretty much as was forecast and pretty much what I expected.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

This night 35 years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

It's a lovely day now the rain has passed

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Indeed.

My missus tells me the story of how, that day, she got blown across her kitchen from a lightning bolt that travelled up through the sink pipework as she did the dishes for her Mammy.

Then in all the panic and confusion that followed the family dog went hysterical and attacked her younger brother. And so it ended up with the two kids in hospital (neither seriously hurt thankfully) and the poor auld dog put to sleep while all around them the huge electric storm raged.

I couldn't top that one!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭Wild Field 1831

Kicked off around South east Laois at 9.30pm, 25 July 1985. My brother's year and a half bullock was a casualty. Can still remember that burning smell and how bloated he was.

Some night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

A chimney hit by lightning in Finglas. Brother has pic, waiting to get it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

A chimney hit by lightning in Finglas. Brother has pic, waiting to get it

Where exactly was it? Or what street?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

https://youtu.be/CdqoNKCCt7A

Advertisement