Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

2pm

Oak Park 22 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

What's the technical reason certain patches of cloud get 'stuck'? Referencing the patch over Dublin central on satellite currently - plenty of burnoff and movement around Dublin spreading from the south but have a stubborn patch over the city that hasn't budged on multiple frames. Is it convergence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Sitting here in the garden in Dublin, some cloud but nice sunshine and 20 degrees

21 degrees at Phoenix park and Dublin airport according to met eireann website 3pm readings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

I disagree, I have had loads of days in T-shirt and shorts over the past month or two. The weather has been fantastic, not particularly warm but certainly mild enough for a T-shirt in the garden and out on walks. Today very balmy

Where are you based though? In Dublin the temp has rarely gotten above 15 or 16 degrees until today according to all the daily data on MET E.

If you're out your back garden sitting by a concrete wall in a sun trap then yes, you might have felt warm, but in general temps in Dublin have only been around average for May - and much colder at night.

Everyone's different of course but for me it needs to be at least 18 degrees to start feeling warm. We haven't really had that in Dublin until today bar two or three days.

• Advertisement

I am near the coast, maybe it’s just me but certainly lots of people out in T-shirt’s the last couple of months. Like I said it hasn’t been overly warm but very mild. I see it’s hit 22 now in Dublin
    compsys wrote: »
    Where are you based though? In Dublin the temp has rarely gotten above 15 or 16 degrees until today according to all the daily data on MET E.

If you're out your back garden sitting by a concrete wall in a sun trap then yes, you might have felt warm, but in general temps in Dublin have only been around average for May - and much colder at night.

Everyone's different of course but for me it needs to be at least 18 degrees to start feeling warm. We haven't really had that in Dublin until today bar two or three days.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »
    Not a nice day in south mayo
    Hoping it clears soon

Which it did .Lovely now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I am near the coast, maybe it’s just me but certainly lots of people out in T-shirt’s the last couple of months.

It doesn't take much for the people of the F.L.A.B. (Fat Lardy Arms Brigade) to strip off at the first sign of sunshine, regardless of actual temperature. It has been nice in suntraps alright but most days there has been a biting cold breeze while out and about.

Today is lovely, though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

beautiful day now in Meath, first proper sunshine since last Friday. Temperature currently 20C. Phoenix Park, Oak Park and Casement all at 22C.

Warm sunshine here in Castlebar. Nice evening after a cloudy start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lovely day, very quiet this morning but quite an onshore type breeze this afternoon. Wall to wall sun. Like summer really. Speaking of which looking at the F1 chart (ECM) it has a HP centred slap bang over us for May 29th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

compsys wrote: »

I'm with you. Here in D9, while the endless blue skies were still most enjoyable, on the days where the temperature sat at 15/16 degrees with a breeze you could feel that the air was not warm even in direct sunlight. The air had a bite to it. Compare it to the sunshine currently and 20 odd degrees - it feels warm outside, no need to hide behind a 10ft wall to hide from breeze. Lovely.

It's fairly obvious though from my years on here that many folk find 15-18 degrees very pleasant if not warm. While a strange concept to myself, nothing wrong with it at all!

Casement 22 degrees at 5pm. Not bad at all.

Biting cold breeze, steady on!
    It doesn't take much for the people of the F.L.A.B. (Fat Lardy Arms Brigade) to strip off at the first sign of sunshine, regardless of actual temperature. It has been nice in suntraps alright but most days there has been a biting cold breeze while out and about.

Today is lovely, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

22°C on the dot here in Kildare now. Reached 22.8°C earlier.

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Galway and Mayo

Through Thursday night and Friday, south to southeast winds, veering southwesterly will reach mean speeds of 45 to 65 km/hr with gusts of 85 to 110 Km/hr, mainly in coastal areas and on exposed hills and mountains.

Valid: 21:00 Thursday 21/05/2020 to 18:00 Friday 22/05/2020

Issued: 11:00 Wednesday 20/05/2020

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Not as nice a day as yesterday all told. Sun is a bit hazy and that annoying breeze is back. It looks nicer outside than it actually is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Not as nice a day as yesterday all told. Sun is a bit hazy and that annoying breeze is back. It looks nicer outside than it actually is.

Said breeze is off the cold sea here in Arklow gusting above 40kmh
    Its therefore 7c COLDER than yesterday

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

similar to yesterday here at Dunshaughlin, very light wind, temperature currently 20C. Might get a degree or so warmer than yesterday.

amazing day here in Meath, currently 21C, very close to 22C which makes this the warmest day of the year at my location and it certainly feels it, barely a breeze outside and unbroken if slightly hazy sunshine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Cracking day in Dublin but windy, doesnt bother me when its warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    amazing day here in Meath, currently 21C, very close to 22C which makes this the warmest day of the year at my location and it certainly feels it, barely a breeze outside and unbroken if slightly hazy sunshine.

Fairly breezy here around Rathkenny, doesnt take anything from the day though, its fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Seems all we have to do to fix our climate is to stop all cars and planes and weather patterns change instantly...if recent weather is anything to go by...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

When you think it was very cold and wet up to near the end of June last year, we've been getting away with murder for the past while. I hope we're not going to be made pay for it now in summer.

I feel cheated for the winter and spring, it feels like it was starting to get a bit cold and then all of a sudden it was summer. Rain and blust would be welcomed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

I feel cheated for the winter and spring, it feels like it was starting to get a bit cold and then all of a sudden it was summer. Rain and blust would be welcomed!

MT is adamant June will start out cool and wet. Let’s hope he is wrong. Do not want a repeat of last June. More of this kind of weather please during the summer months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Nice day in cork city, about 17 degrees and sunny. Warm! Cool breeze but its nice when your out walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Phoenix Park 23C, warmest day of the year for Dublin so far?

Reached 22C here in Meath about an hour ago, warmest day of the year here too. Hopefully we will see many more days like this between now and the end of September with a few properly hot days too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

We had 6 months of what felt like rain and wind up until March, after a non existent summer. It was the worst spell of weather I've ever experienced, the trauma of it will be passed down for generations. Get outside and enjoy this sunny bliss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Gonzo wrote: »
    Phoenix Park 23C, warmest day of the year for Dublin so far?

Reached 22C here in Meath about an hour ago, warmest day of the year here too. Hopefully we will see many more days like this between now and the end of September with a few properly hot days too.

Max of 14c here in Arklow,strong SE winds and banks of fog
    Very refreshing...

Advertisement