Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭appledrop

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Overcast in Dublin 5 and milder than recently but due to the lack of sunshine it feels colder than it was throughout the week.

Yep I had to put heating on for hour in house today. Other days were cold outside but sunshine coming in kept house lovely + toasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Any particular reason for the very low humidity yesterday. I was in Limerick and I could feel my throat and mouth really drying out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭highdef

Mach Two wrote: »
    Any particular reason for the very low humidity yesterday. I was in Limerick and I could feel my throat and mouth really drying out.

A combination of a fairly dry air source and very dry ground, in a nutshell

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mach Two

highdef wrote: »
    A combination of a fairly dry air source and very dry ground, in a nutshell

I thought it was very unusual. Never felt the air so dry in my life. I thought it was some sort of weather phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Dosn't look like that clearer weather reached us its looks like there is even thicker cloud coming in now on the satellite

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Dosn't look like that clearer weather reached us its looks like there is even thicker cloud coming in now on the satellite

there won't be much sun between now and Monday afternoon. A very cloudy weekend to come in many places with showers or rain at times, particularly in western areas and northern half of the country. Sunday see's the greatest risk of rain or showers.

So to fix our usual terrible weather we need a permanent lockdown;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Nice here in Kerry, blue skies from early morning getting uo to 16.2C after a low of 1.3C

NASA pic from earlier today.

a2kLurH.png

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Nice here in Kerry, blue skies from early morning getting uo to 16.2C after a low of 1.3C

NASA pic from earlier today.

a2kLurH.png

Any idea of weather forecast for Kerry for next week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 richardgreene

compsys wrote: »
    The reason for the easterly winds is that we’ve had high pressure stuck over us for weeks now. In the northern hemisphere wind.......

Thanks compsys

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

we appear to be almost finished with the easterlies for now. A mild or warm south-westerly over the next few days as we now lose the cold northerly. Normal Service looks like resuming for all of us from Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Gonzo wrote: »
    we appear to be almost finished with the easterlies for now. A mild or warm south-westerly over the next few days as we now lose the cold northerly. Normal Service looks like resuming for all of us from Thursday.

By normal service I hope you don’t mean wet windy dull rubbish?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I was gonna ask the same! I think normal service means about 14c, windy, and rain on and off, for weeks on end. And we can't even go abroad. Kill me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Once the rain comes, while it will help the western and northern counties at the start, but I fear that because this it Ireland it will forget to leave as it did for about 250 days :(

Cloudy this morning in Cork City, about 13 degrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I was gonna ask the same! I think normal service means about 14c, windy, and rain on and off, for weeks on end. And we can't even go abroad. Kill me now.

Even though the rest of Europe is opening up but that’s another debate and another forum I know.

yep looks like revert back to the typical Atlantic pattern from Thursday with low pressures crossing Ireland every few days. For how long remains to be seen if this is just a temporary blip for a week or two or something more long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

When you think it was very cold and wet up to near the end of June last year, we've been getting away with murder for the past while. I hope we're not going to be made pay for it now in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Stubbornly overcast in West Clare, no hope of sun today me thinks!

To add to my post above about the return to normal service, the GFS is going to town on the unsettled setup for the last 10 days of May, however the ECM is going for a few cool and unsettled days from Thursday but it reverts back to a much dryer and warmer scene after next weekend. So the big change isn't set in stone yet nor does it look like a long term pattern change just yet. Fingers crossed the ECM is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

It has been a decent day in Dublin, bone dry again but intermittent cloud and sun. Pleasant enough to sit outside. No rain in the outlook that I can see. This dry spell is incredible

• Advertisement

Met eireann giving 20-22 degrees for east from Monday to Wednesday. Looks to be more uncertain later in the week but it’s hard to forecast past 5 days at the best of times.

If your in the west or north its over already rain Sunday to tuesday with more rain coming in sometime wednesday...according to met eireann....though I think here in Galway we will still get some sun from Monday to Wednesday despite the forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Hopefully some rain.

Looking at met eireann monthly data for rainfall for the Phoenix park station in Dublin

March 30mm
    April 13mm
    May 3mm

46mm of rain in 2 1/2 months. Pretty exceptional spring weather. Must be among the driest on record

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Just 0.6mm here overnight here near Tralee and looks very light and patchy for the rest of the day, bits of mist and drizzle and some light rain at best this evening, a bit heavier over higher ground.

Mon looks mostly dry with a bit of patchy light rain or drizzle towards evening, fresh along the coasts, 13 to 17C.

Tues mostly dry , maybe some drizzle or light patchy rain over higher ground, 13 to 19 or 20C.

Weds has a front moving up against the coast, probably will cross the country int the evening/ overnight into Thurs 13 to 19 or 20C.

Uncertainty about late Thurs /Fri into the weekend, ECM showing a vigorous Lp bringing very wet and windy weather, latest GFS leaning that way although not as wet and windy. So will need further look at the models during the week. Looks like getting up around 13 to 21C on Thurs.

SjEBKrC.png

a bit of a damp start here in Meath, you can see on the ground evidence of light rain or drizzle from last night. Very cloudy too but relatively mild, we've certainly lost the affects from that cold northerly we had all week.

A fairly big boost in temperatures over the coming week, high teens to low 20s up to Thursday, even the unsettled weather next Thursday/Friday could see temperatures around 16 or 17C. Both the GFS and ECM are unsettled from Thursday but neither are showing a total pattern change as of yet with some nice weather the following week, particularly the ECM goes back to warm and settled conditions. I think we need a few more days to see where this is going. Still alot of uncertainty about what happens after next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Been a miserable weekend here in Donegal, light rain on and off yesterday but today is a write off with that horrible heavy misty drizzle that drops visibility to nothing.

It's been a great 2 months since mid March but normal service looks to be resuming here :(

Really pleasant day in Dublin 5. Much warmer than much of this week, intermittent sun and cloud but warm enough to sit out

Really pleasant day in Dublin 5. Much warmer than much of this week, intermittent sun and cloud but warm enough to sit out

no sun in Meath but certainly warmer than it has been over past few weeks. Currently 16C, if we could get a few spells of sunshine going in the afternoon temps would rise by another degree or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Intermittent sun in cork city, doesn't last very long. Mild enough out! Scattered heavy showers though im hearing.

Advertisement