Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

2.8 was my lowest last night. No frost this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭compsys

@esposito @Danzy Thanks lads for the explanations. @pad199207 Ha, thanks for the cynicism 🀪

The reason for the easterly winds is that we’ve had high pressure stuck over us for weeks now. In the northern hemisphere winds always move clockwise around high pressure so depending on the location of the system, you’ll usually get winds coming from the east or north east or south east. It’s unusual but not unheard of to have weather this good. High pressure always sticks around longer than low pressure systems. But you’re usually taking days, not weeks, for Ireland.

In April and early May the Irish Sea is still almost at its coldest (8 to 11 degrees) so any easterly winds will pare back temperatures a good bit in the eastern third of the country. It’s very difficult to get temps over 20 in set ups like these in spring for Dublin etc. Hence why it’s still been quite cool in some areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Yet another beautiful sunny day in Dublin 5. Quite incredible this spring has been. 2 1/2 months of almost completely dry weather.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Yet another beautiful sunny day in Dublin 5. Quite incredible this spring has been. 2 1/2 months of almost completely dry weather.

hopefully another 2 and a half months of it! maybe a few thunderstorms thrown into the mix to water the gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭4Ad

Light frost on the car at 5am, heading for 19 here in East Clare, few lonesome clouds in the sky, it's beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Beautiful in D5. If you haven't already try to put out vessels of water for the birdies. My only company these days are a pair of wood pigeons, some magpies, blackbirds and a few other little ones. I can even tell who's coming by their different flappy noises. They all seem to get a turn bathing in and drinking the water i put out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Beautiful day here also few clouds about but a lovely strong sun and thankfully no breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Clouds have disappeared in cork city and sun is out and it's lovely and warm in the sun and cool in the shade. Loving this dry spell, no yellow verges here yet due to the extra rain we had so happy out at the moment. My garden thermostat is reading about 18 degrees at the minute but it is in the sun at the moment, it's usually very close to what cork airport reads but a big difference atm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

lovely sunny day in Meath despite the chilly temperatures. We are now past the coldest of the plunge and from here on in we have a gradual rise in temperatures over the next few days then from about Sunday temperatures will lift up alot more.

Airport has risen from 11 degrees to 13 degrees in half an hour so steady rise, I think Met E were predicting about 17 degrees on the weather last night so my garden stat seems pretty accurate atm. "Wind 4 kt from the South/Southwest, varying between South/Southeast and West/Northwest" latest update has the wind coming from every direction! Haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭appledrop

Another stunningly beautiful day in Dublin. Didnt get to see much of as busy wfh day.

However great to finish up from office + step straight onto sunshine! No commute.

Maybe we should rename this thread Summer 2020 because that's what's it more like since lockdown began!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,767 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Looks like next week will be a cracker, this lockdown is doing wonders for the weather :)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Observing what looks like a cloud of smoke here in the northern sky over the last while and there is a slight smoky smell in the air. Must be bog fire somewhere in around the Mayo/Galway border region.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭giveitholly

So what is the general consensus for the next 7-10 days? Risk of rain and drizzle on sunday especially the north and west and then back to dry conditions with much warmer temperatures heading into next week

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It has been very dry in the west for nearly 2 months now. I was looking at photos there and I went for a cycle on the 22nd March and there were pools of water in the fields. That day was the first nice warm sunny day in a long while.

It has been bone dry since with the exception of one evening of moderate rain. We still have the heating on downstairs as it is cold in the mornings and evenings.

Otherwise the weather has been fabulous to get out in. I don't mind not having heat once you have the blue skies. The birds seem to be full of song at the moment.

Agree, I feel like I'm hearing a lot more bird song in the last two weeks then before. Maybe I'm just outside more with less to think about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Weather after the news on RTE suggests nice weather for the next 5 days. Continuing dry in the east but some showers in other areas

So what is the general consensus for the next 7-10 days? Risk of rain and drizzle on sunday especially the north and west and then back to dry conditions with much warmer temperatures heading into next week

The outlook looks fairly decent, certainly milder than it has been from Saturday. However there is still a good deal of uncertainty from mid week next week and onwards. We could stay under an extended period of dry and settled conditions with some warm spells or it could all break down later next week with the return a cooler and unsettled Atlantic. Right now it looks like we may end up with the dryer and more settled solution but it wouldn't take much for it to flip back to the form horse which is the Atlantic.

just for reference the extent of last nights very cold and frosty night:

tn_uk.png

Temperatures last night got to -2C widely across the country. Last night was also the last really cold night from the current cold snap and the air is beginning to slowly shift back towards more seasonal temperatures. We are unlikely to see another night as cold as last night untill late September or sometime in October.

Currently still 11C here in Meath, which is 4 or 5C higher than it was this time yesterday. Temperatures should stay just above 0C in most areas tonight, maybe a patchy frost in one or two spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Tuam co galway 14/05/20 19.15 temperature 12°C
    7cub0LP.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Agree, I feel like I'm hearing a lot more bird song in the last two weeks then before. Maybe I'm just outside more with less to think about?

No traffic

Nice morning in cork city, slightly cloudy but the sun is out and it's about 13/14 degrees at the moment. Not much of a wind either.

a cloudy and cool morning here in Meath. A dry weekend for most eastern and southern areas but it could turn fairly showery in the parts of the north and west over the weekend, particularly Sunday. Next week is beginning to look less settled as well, particularly the second half of next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Overcast in Dublin 5 and milder than recently but due to the lack of sunshine it feels colder than it was throughout the week.

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Overcast in Dublin 5 and milder than recently but due to the lack of sunshine it feels colder than it was throughout the week.

it certainly feels cold today, cold enough to put the winter coat back on for the walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Gonzo wrote: »
    it certainly feels cold today, cold enough to put the winter coat back on for the walk.

Any chance it will warm up with a bit of sun for the afternoon/evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭highdef

Gonzo wrote: »

Heading for my walk soon but t-shirt will do fine. The winds are very light so it feels like nice walking weather. Will be warmed up in minutes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

going by Met Dublin looks like we wont be seeing any Sun for the next 3 or 4 days. damn! and not much in the way of rain either

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

That nagging little breeze is back and more cloud than blue sky unfortunately. Yesterday really was a pet day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Hooter23

It looks like it might clear up soon...I noticed the wind picked up the a couple of days ago just before it cleared...it looked like there be clearer skies coming in on the satellite image...though no sign of it yet..we'll see sure

Advertisement