Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭MFPM

I suspect the hallowed game of hurling need a day to itself. Seems to be the way they managed this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭spakman

Does anyone still oppose the view that the GAA have killed the Leinster championship and are on their way to killing the entire All Ireland championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Thought we did ok yesterday never really looked as if we would lose .Subs did well enough but just take the win and on to Cavan .The crowd was awful less than a league game admittedly there were a lot of counter attractions and I wouldn't expect many to travel a long distance to it but it was a very poor turnout from Dubs supporters who don't have to travel or spend a lot for a match if they don't want to spend much .It was more or less a meaningless match and the Gaa need to realise that their is a lot more competition from other sports than their was years ago and they should be mindful of that .The ridiculous group stage format they use is another argument plus of course not enough good teams .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Gael85

Didn't Meath win the 6 Nations in 2010 with a late Joe Sheridan try?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

The GAA can only blame themselves. They made a right arse of things.

The product is simply not as good as it once was. The offensive mark is an absolute eye sore. Breaks the play up. Makes the game stop start. Takes goals from the game.
    Then this round robin nonsense. It used to be win provincial you are in the quarters. Now win the provincial you could be 4 games away from the quarterfinals. People have other things to be getting on with. You could nearly plan your summer around going to the matches back in the day. Now have no idea when or where Mayo v Dublin will be on in 3 weeks in what most likely will be a dead rubber.

The championship starts too early. Like it or not people enjoy other sports. Football and rugby mostly.
    If I supported Man City or Man Utd or Leinster id have picked that over an empty Croke Park ( i dont and was in Croke Park ) But if it was in a buzzing Parnell Park id pick it over anything.

Good games not shown on live TV anymore. Big campaign a few years ago. Can’t see can’t be. Thats gone out the window now since they cut the matches on television. All for greed.

The price of some of the games is a disgrace too. €40 for a Leinster Final game and both teams going straight through to the next round no matter what the result. No jeopardy.
    There was talk of the connaught final that you were nearly better of losing to get an advantage in the next round. Madness.

Its run by a bunch of aul fellas that make these decisions that are absolutely killing the game we love. And that has led to some people just going to the game if they have sweet fa else to be doing rather than prioritising going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,460 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

@RoyalCelt walked into that one maybe he is too young to remember 2010?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I agree on the mark - I hate the thing it is more used as a defensive tactic than anything. On the pricing greed etc. GAA pumps a lot of money back in. Compared to other codes they are practically giving it away.

I agree as well that it is run by auld lads, but this is the only way they can think of to given an alternative to the provincials without getting rid of it. It is ironic now that there is already some chat saying that Ulster is competitive but is it a decent standard compared to the levels Dublin/Kerry/Mayo/Galway ?

In my view Ulster is the reason the rest of Ireland is being "held back" with the provincials. It is neither one thing nor the other at the moment. Would be easier to have groups with "jeopardy" if they scrapped them provincials.

As for the Rugby and Soccer matches etc - to be honest I did not even know they were on until someone said it to me on the day. But I am an eejit. I had no real interest in either.

To be honest I was more annoyed that the Louth v Meath game clashed with the Dublin v Roscommon one. Because I would have liked to see the Louth match on GAAGO. I knew it would be a good one and a chance Louth would give Meath a lesson - plus there was the Ger Brennan factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

This is a great opportunity for the hurlers today.

Galway down to 14 men. A harsh one imo and also denied a clear penalty.

Dubs will play with a strong breeze in the second half.

6 points ahead.
    10 mins to go.
    looking very good for the Dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Patches oHoulihan

Dublin will find a way to lose

• Advertisement

if it was 15 on 15 id agree.

Think we will see it through though.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Patches oHoulihan

Looks like we'll do it now.

Got worried there when they got back to 3 points

Me too. Looks safe now. ( i hope )

Surely Shefflin be gone after today. Never worked out for them.

Dublin have a very impressive record again Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

What a great win for our senior hurlers. To go to Galway and beat them it will give hurling in the county a boost. We were 4th favourites for Leinster this year. Will be underdogs in Leinster final for sure but thats for another day. Well done Michael O Donoghue and players.

Dublin have never feared Galway and unlike our one championship victory v Kilkenny in 90 years or whatever we have a very healthy head to head v Galway. Played 14 - Won 8 - Lost 4 - Draw 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭howiya

Great win

• Registered Users Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭corny

Up the Dubs. Delighted with that.

I already asked the Galway cousins does this mean Galway are a football county? And Dublin the real Dual county?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Fantastic result, delighted for them.

Away for the Final of course. FFS.

Very proud of this team. The comeback again Wexford. Carlow played very well against us and overcame them in a tight game.
    Hammered Antrim and could have and probably should have beat Kilkenny.
    we will have another crack at them in 2 weeks.
    Say Kilkenny are delighted its us and not Galway. But i think we can do it.

Bigger crowd in two weeks than yesterday I'd say….

Hopefully Dublin keep the momentum going and have fur flying.

• Advertisement

Have a chance of a first Leinster double since 2013 when we beat Galway in the hurling and Meath in the football.

And back then only for a very harsh red card for Ryan O Dwyer in All Ireland semi final i think we would have beaten Cork and been one game against Clare away from winning the All Ireland double.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭spurshero

well done today lads from a Galway man . Ye have nothing to fear with kK. Should have beaten them last week . Hopefully cian o Sullivan be back . We will be shouting for ye down here anyway !

Fair play lad. Unfortunately for Dublin we don't have a good record against Kilkenny. I wouldn't say the lads will fear them, though and after getting so close in Parnell Park they will want another crack at them. Kilkenny going for there own 5 in a row in Leinster while Dublin going for first in 11 years and only second Leinster in over 60 years. Kilkenny win Leinsters for fun while it would be a big deal for Dublin. Kilkenny will be favourites and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

just watched the game back in full , strange game , the sending off looked like a red in real time but wasn't on a replay ,tough call , however dublin have improved ten fold from the all ireland 1/4 final in limerick , the two burkes are excellent ,as is brian hayes , there is also the likes of brendan kenny and o daulaig to come through , throw in the two curries and ye are strong for a few years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mobby

Well done to the Hurlers today. jez a few posters here will go into meltdown if both Dublin teams make an All-Ireland. 😂

Galway are my 2nd team as both parents are from Galway. Great memories watching with the aul fella in the late 80’s and 90’s. Cracking team back then. Not enough all Ireland medals to show. But Kilkenny n Tipp were unbelievable back then too.
    They’ve been a great addition to the Leinster Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,543 ✭✭✭Trampas

I wonder how many will make the journey later. I’m not expecting many as with the weather, bank holiday weekend and some soccer on that will take some numbers away. Safe travels for anyone travelling later. Might even bring a ball to let the kids out for a kick about at half time like last year for Sligo game

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I won't be anyway. Absolutely impossible to get to all the games these days at this time of year.

They've absolutely fucked the calendar.

Hopefully the new president sorts it out.

---

That said, I have 2 tickets available tonight for anyone who wants them.

I am watching the soccer on the RTE plus one, have the Cavan game on the GAAGO. That traffic /past journey's to Cavan also put me off going.

All the chat not giving Cavan a hope. plus they are missing their best player Lynch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭MFPM

Big score for Dublin, nice to see a few goals scored. Nice to do it outside Croke Park too..

Advertisement