Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Not sure what others stance on the situation is but I won't be riding outside again until this is over or until such a time that the health service is under less stress.

I've luckily never come off the bike while out training. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen. Tyre blowout or a car pulling out etc. It's an unnecessary burden to put on the the paramedics and hospital staff that are working around the clock to keep us all safe.

But that's just my opinion on it and I wouldn't begrudge those that don't take the same approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Traffic jams shown on the news there with people looking to drive somewhere to walk ffs.

They closed the car park at Glendalough and there were issues at the Sally Gap too due to the number of cars.

Makes you wonder are people not seeing the numbers reported on the news every day.

Can go for a walk anywhere though. Plenty of parks around. We did castletown yesterday at 9am and corkagh at 10 this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 8,062 ✭✭✭buffalo

Can go for a walk anywhere though. Plenty of parks around. We did castletown yesterday at 9am and corkagh at 10 this morning

ha! I might've passed you yesterday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭seaviewphotos

Not sure what others stance on the situation is but I won't be riding outside again until this is over or until such a time that the health service is under less stress.

I've luckily never come off the bike while out training. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen. Tyre blowout or a car pulling out etc. It's an unnecessary burden to put on the the paramedics and hospital staff that are working around the clock to keep us all safe.

But that's just my opinion on it and I wouldn't begrudge those that don't take the same approach.

I didn't go out this weekend for the same reason, also I really don't want to end up in A & E at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,802 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

very valid approach, but the HSE themselves are saying that you can still exercise as long as caution is taken:
    he was clear exercising could still be done in Ireland once people complied with those measures, adding he believed people needed to exercise for their well-being even in the current crisis.
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/hse-lead-experts-verdict-on-exercising-outdoors-during-covid19-crisis/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I had a pretty bad accident a few years back but if I'm honest I was carrying too much speed into a corner without much visibility and came a cropper when the narrow road was entirely blocked by a car with a wide trailer coming the other way. These days I'm much more cautious and take far fewer risks. Rather than stopping cycling you might do better to uninstall Strava and just take a lazy pace and enjoy the views. My plan is to stay cycling solo until such time as the advice from on high is not to. I think cycling is safe and hugely beneficial for exercise, stress and head space.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

smacl wrote: »
    I had a pretty bad accident a few years back but if I'm honest I was carrying too much speed into a corner without much visibility and came a cropper when the narrow road was entirely blocked by a car with a wide trailer coming the other way. These days I'm much more cautious and take far fewer risks. Rather than stopping cycling you might do better to uninstall Strava and just take a lazy pace and enjoy the views. My plan is to stay cycling solo until such time as the advice from on high is not to. I think cycling is safe and hugely beneficial for exercise, stress and head space.

Agreed on all points. Frankly I need it. Plus, I don't have a car.

buffalo wrote: »
    ha! I might've passed you yesterday. :)

Was lovely there.

very valid approach, but the HSE themselves are saying that you can still exercise as long as caution is taken:

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/hse-lead-experts-verdict-on-exercising-outdoors-during-covid19-crisis/

Exercise is important , just be sensible

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I estimate I've done about 19,000 solo in the last 3 years which is 95% of my cycling.

I'll keep tipping away in quiet roads near home for 2 hours or so in the mornings or afternoon if I'm not called into work.

If I'm told to stay home, turbo, gardening, etc.

How many injuries are caused by DIY and such, as theres going to be a lot of amateur DIY happening the next few weeks that I'd say is riskier than being out for a cycle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

LennoxR wrote: »
    Agreed on all points. Frankly I need it. Plus, I don't have a car.

I value physical activity more than most, but people would be well advised to have other strategies to deal with stress.

You never know the day when exercise might not be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

I value physical activity more than most, but people would be well advised to have other strategies to deal with stress.

You never know the day when exercise might not be an option.

Naturally there are other strategies for handling stress e.g. meeting friends, visiting family, playing with my nieces, going to a film. Etc. But all of these are not on atm.

So no cycling too would be bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

I didn't go out this weekend for the same reason, also I really don't want to end up in A & E at the moment.

I went out solo last Wednesday and will be going out again tomorrow or Tuesday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Cycling is safe if done solo. It's also allowed and no experts are advising not to do it. If you maintain 2m its also within the guidelines for doing it with some one else.
    We all need to keep fit and active and this is not going to be a 2 week temporary break, we're looking at another 1/2/3/4 months ...
    Keep cycling, keep safe and follow the guidelines.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,802 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Weepsie wrote: »
    I estimate I've done about 19,000 solo in the last 3 years which is 95% of my cycling.
    i've done 23k since joining strava (now here's a gas coincidence - it was 22nd march 2015, exactly 5 years ago), and have suffered no injuries on the bike. three near misses in nearly falling off, two while stationary, the last one today.

i've probably been lucky in that, but it goes back to the fact that the dangers of cycling are far, far outweighed by the benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭secman

The 2 clubs I'm involved with have reverted to solo spins only. My last 4 spins have been solo, ive reverted to routes that i used to do and which the 2 groups tend not to use,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've come off the fence, and stuck to the turbo over the weekend, mainly for the fears of ending up on A&E (both for the system and my own health)

Whilst cycling may be complying with social distancing in theory, living in the Wicklow Mountains, the roads and trails have been mental which reduces the social distancing and increases the risk of an incident.

fwiw, on my local Facebook groups, "cyclists" are being lumped in with all the idiots parking and blocking the roads. I've no issue with people making their own decision on it (whilst they can), but I'd probably recommend not going in club (or boards) colours tbh.

at a guess, 99.9% of the 23k i mentioned above has been done solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

i've done 23k since joining strava (now here's a gas coincidence - it was 22nd march 2015, exactly 5 years ago), and have suffered no injuries on the bike. three near misses in nearly falling off, two while stationary, the last one today.

i've probably been lucky in that, but it goes back to the fact that the dangers of cycling are far, far outweighed by the benefits.

Get out and cycle while you still can. Over 100,000k incident free cycling for me. Get out and enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Got a flat this morning so didnt manage to go for a cycle, I'm starting to worry about my sanity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm a bit disappointed with myself lately as I just can't focus on cycling. I'm under a lot of pressure with Covid19. I've gone to bed each night with my commuter bike and bag ready but usually end up driving to work. I think it's the stress of not knowing what horror will face me each morning at work that is making me take the car instead. In my 33 years in the health service, this is by a long way the most challenging times I've ever experienced. (It makes industrial action look like a picnic).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Was out yesterday around dunboyne lot of families out which would be usually a good thing .However came across a few that the adults were more or less in the middle of the road watching their children totally unaware of what was happening either in front or coming behind them .It won't be long before someone comes a cropper and the calls for stop crying begins .Hopefully this will not be the case .

I'm a bit disappointed with myself lately as I just can't focus on cycling. I'm under a lot of pressure with Covid19. I've gone to bed each night with my commuter bike and bag ready but usually end up driving to work. I think it's the stress of not knowing what horror will face me each morning at work that is making me take the car instead. In my 33 years in the health service, this is by a long way the most challenging times I've ever experienced. (It makes industrial action look like a picnic).

You on the front line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I'll keep tipping away in quiet roads near home for 2 hours or so in the mornings or afternoon if I'm not called into work.

If I'm told to stay home, turbo, gardening, etc.

How many injuries are caused by DIY and such, as theres going to be a lot of amateur DIY happening the next few weeks that I'd say is riskier than being out for a cycle

I agree with this. Thousands of miles between commuting, training and racing and worst I got was a bloody knee from track and a bruised arm on MTB over ten years.

In the last three months I’ve fallen off two ladders and a roof doing DIY. Worst that happened was a few cuts and I messed my knee up again, but I’m pretty sure that’s what’s going to put me in hospital not the cycling(no idea why I keep falling. Loads of experience doing these things. Clumsy or cocky in my old age maybe)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Melodeon

I agree with this. Thousands of miles between commuting, training and racing and worst I got was a bloody knee from track and a bruised arm on MTB over ten years.

In the last three months I’ve fallen off two ladders and a roof doing DIY. Worst that happened was a few cuts and I messed my knee up again, but I’m pretty sure that’s what’s going to put me in hospital not the cycling(no idea why I keep falling. Loads of experience doing these things. Clumsy or cocky in my old age maybe)
    In more normal times, the ambulance service/A&E departments anticipate several statistical blips over the course of they year.
    One of these is an increase in gardening and DIY injuries, usually involving power tools or falls, which starts with the first 'good' weekend of the year after the grass has started growing.

Other notables are a surge in drunken adults with broken limbs and/or concussion having to be hauled out of bouncy castles in the small hours of the morning during First Communion season, and a very significant uptick of 'fighting' injuries in private homes over the Christmas period.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You are more likely to get injured gardening than cycling. I spent around ten hours gardening this weekend and two hours cycling, but I can guess which activity I'm more likely to be chided for.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Does anybody know of cycling irelands plans regarding the racing season?

Wondering if the racing season will go ahead in any shape or form this year as are many others I guess. (I know its not important in the grand scheme of things, it could only go ahead in the best case scenario.)

Reading this morning the olympics likely to be cancelled and if that goes, surely the Tour would also. And if no pro season, how could amateur racing go ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Came past Lough Tay yesterday. Gardai set up on either side, about 10 km apart. They were turning cars back as the area was overrun with people getting outdoors. Lots of busy trails with long lines of people on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

RobFowl wrote: »
    Cycling is safe if done solo. It's also allowed and no experts are advising not to do it. If you maintain 2m its also within the guidelines for doing it with some one else.
    We all need to keep fit and active and this is not going to be a 2 week temporary break, we're looking at another 1/2/3/4 months ...
    Keep cycling, keep safe and follow the guidelines.

I'd agree with all that except cycling with someone else at a 2m gap;
    *it will be really difficult to maintain in practice( I tried it last Sunday week on empty roads)
    * when sharing road with other users it will cause issue (motorists whinge at best of times)
    *I presume droplet spread guidelines of 2m is for static air not a unpredictable laminar/turbulent airflow
    *if you extend to 5m (as per Paul Newman) you may as well be solo

If we all don't just cycle solo, and call out people/clubs in groups there is a good chance no one will be cycling anywhere soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Chumpski wrote: »
    Does anybody know of cycling irelands plans regarding the racing season?

Wondering if the racing season will go ahead in any shape or form this year as are many others I guess. (I know its not important in the grand scheme of things, it could only go ahead in the best case scenario.)

Reading this morning the olympics likely to be cancelled and if that goes, surely the Tour would also. And if no pro season, how could amateur racing go ahead?

I don't know the official line but for road racing, it won't be happening before September. Not official but i think anything to the contrary is foolish. It might have been July but the levels of stupidity out there over the last few days where alot of people really don't get it, those people are going to be the reason a lot of us will be not seeing some people again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement