Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19; Impact on the aviation industry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭gral6

Jack1985 wrote: »

DAA have said,

"A spokesperson for the daa, the operator for Dublin and Cork airports, said airport authorities have no access to any personal passenger information"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

PommieBast wrote: »
    What is "essential"? Was planning on flying to the UK next week :(

I believe the Gov are to launch an academic course for the thousands who'll find themselves unemployed soon as to exactly what the definition of essential is for its citizens, job opportunities will be immense as CEO's are desperate to also figure out what exactly it means also.

Sorry to hear you are yet another person in limbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

gral6 wrote: »
    DAA have said,

"A spokesperson for the daa, the operator for Dublin and Cork airports, said airport authorities have no access to any personal passenger information"

That'd be the second time they have had to remind Gov this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Is Operation PPS still ongoing at the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

MOL will be fuming at this lol

Who's MOL ..?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Who's MOL ..?
    Really? Michael O' Leary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Essential travel is normally considered as travel for work that cannot be postponed or travel for some other time bound reason - such as saying goodbye to a dying relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

It’s only a recommendation, it has no law banning it. Go if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭W1ll1s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Really? Michael O' Leary.

No, I mean who's MOL to be complaining..?
    Who dafook cares what he thinks?
    There's a global pandemic going on, you can take your travel advice from an airline magnate if you want, I'll be taking mine from the government health care professionals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭gral6

No, I mean who's MOL to be complaining..?
    Who dafook cares what he thinks?
    There's a global pandemic going on, you can take your travel advice from an airline magnate if you want, I'll be taking mine from the government health care professionals.

Global pandemic my ass, people are dropping like flies on the streets.
    You can hide under the bed if you want, I'll be taking no more health advise from this bunch of useless idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

gral6 wrote: »
    Global pandemic my ass, people are dropping like flies on the streets.
    You can hide under the bed if you want, I'll be taking no more health advise from this bunch of useless idiots

:rolleyes:

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    It’s only a recommendation, it has no law banning it. Go if you want.
    Think I'll use the "elderly parents" excuse and just go. Suppose if i am challenged I can claim I am going "home", even though for me home is actually Dublin..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Think I'll use the "elderly parents" excuse and just go. Suppose if i am challenged I can claim I am going "home", even though for me home is actually Dublin..

If your challenged you have no obligation to say anything other than state your name! Just go and don’t worry about it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Is it any wonder the disease is spreading like wildfire?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The Off topic discussion of the way people are dealing with or breaking Covid regulations is NOT relevant to the effect on Aviation Industry.

Please take that aspect of the discussuion to the relevant Covid forum

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

We have just been Banned from traveling again by Air. :( I'm sure other companies will follow suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Avoation1091

We have just been Banned from traveling again by Air. :( I'm sure other companies will follow suit.

The ‘Green List’ was updated today? Where have u seen this?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭AnRothar

We have just been Banned from traveling again by Air. I'm sure other companies will follow suit.
    I suspect the poster means their employer has cancelled all travel by air for employees of that company.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I assume the poster means the company they work for has banned business travel. Most of the big multinationals have a ban on all but the most essential business travel all around the world. "Green lists" etc. don't matter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

We've been told there is a business travel ban until January 2021 at the earliest.

As has been mentioned before, dont think we will ever travel as much as we did for business (and yes some travel in the past was unnecessary but it had become the norm).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

AnRothar wrote: »
    I suspect the poster means their employer has cancelled all travel by air for employees of that company.

This will be an ongoing. A close mate flew over 500 block hours in 2018. He works for a large financial company. He usually travels 2-3 times a month, to most points on the globe.
    That came to a halt in early March.

Back in July he already knew that his company weren't going to have any business travel before Christmas. 1stly the employees don't want to travel, and 2ndly the company will be liable for any medical problems they may encounter.
    With things not improving as fast as was hoped in July it could be Q2 2020 before he flies again.

AnRothar wrote: »

Ok makes sense. A lot of companies have stopped Business Travel until January 2021 earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

CBP will cancel your ESTA if they don’t consider your travel essential. Is there any list or directive from DHS?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

CBP will cancel your ESTA if they don’t consider your travel essential. Is there any list or directive from DHS?

They will cancel your ESTA if you attempt to travel from any of the banned countries. It's detailed in on the ESTA website

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Qantas slashing its sponsorship portfolio including the 30 year old one with Rugby Australia because of the virus.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/2020/sep/23/qantas-ends-30-year-sponsorship-deal-in-huge-blow-for-rugby-australia

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Sorry, I ment Shell have banned us from travel in work again. I have about a months work to do in Rotterdam but alas it will have to wait until January.

Sorry, I ment Shell have banned us from travel in work again. I have about a months work to do in Rotterdam but alas it will have to wait until January.

No problem- Same for the company I work for. No one can travel until January. Hopefully people can start travelling by then. Q2 might be more likely

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Airbus are painting a bleak picture :

Guillaume Faury: Airbus is in danger of collapse

The European aircraft manufacturer Airbus is in danger of collapse warned the company’s chief executive. It seems that the situation in the company is increasingly getting worse.

On September 22, 2020, speaking to the French radio station RTL, Guillaume Faury, the CEO of Airbus, said that the “business is potentially at risk” if the company does not take the right measures to bridge over the economic shutdown.

After airlines worldwide have slowed or even canceled deliveries of ordered aircraft, Faury said that Airbus needs to cut a total of 15,000 jobs. This means that the company would be forced to lay off more than 11% of its workforce.

“The situation is so serious, and we are faced with so much uncertainty, that I think no one can guarantee there won’t be compulsory redundancies if we’re to adapt to the situation, especially if it evolves further,” said Faury.

Faury said that the company will do its best to cut costs without compulsory redundancies. However, the CEO cannot guarantee it will not happen.

“What I say clearly is that we have a lot of work to do, we will do everything we can to avoid arriving at that point,” Faury told.

Earlier in July 2020, Airbus considered that the compulsory redundancies in the United Kingdom would affect 1,700 employees. Significantly more workforce, around 10,000 employees, would be laid off in Airbus factories in Germany and France.

On September 14, 2020, in a general business update letter Faury has allegedly warned his 130,000 employees that pursuing the voluntary redundancies could not be enough to cut the company’s costs down because the passenger traffic could be recovering from the crisis slower than expected.

I cannot see the US letting Boeing go under, will the EU do the same for Airbus ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

15,000 redundancies ? Not a pleasant future.

Advertisement