Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19; Impact on the aviation industry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Any indication west new travel rules will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

Big tech might have most of the workforce ar home, but pharma is manufacturing which needs most people on site as are most of the other multinationals. They also needs airports to export their product. SNN has rarely been busier on the cargo side.

Shame that a lot of the SNN cargo is just being trucked to DUB or LHR to go on a flight though..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

People are saying this is Ryanair just using their staff as pawns to make money?

Well yes, if they don’t make money they won’t need staff at these bases, so they are playing dirty to get the airports valuable again which will be the best chance of keeping pilot, cabin crew and knock on employment at these airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Is this not the same old bluster by Ryanair? Winter, close bases, lay off staff etc etc. Get them being talked about in the newspapers and online content again. Seems to be a typical Ryanair MO.

RTE’s Drivetime ran a feature yesterday on a flight from Faro to Shannon. The plane had 3 passengers. Now I’m no expert, but no business can function where there are more staff (thinking of pilots & attendants ) than paying customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-09-10/lufthansa-to-shed-biggest-planes-in-deepening-fleet-shakeup

Lufthansa talking about retiring the rest of its A380 fleet, majority of A340-300s and all remaining 747-400s.

Lot of the large airlines are going to look a lot smaller when this covid crisis is done and dusted.

• Advertisement

BZ wrote: »
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-09-10/lufthansa-to-shed-biggest-planes-in-deepening-fleet-shakeup

Lufthansa talking about retiring the rest of its A380 fleet, majority of A340-300s and all remaining 747-400s.

Lot of the large airlines are going to look a lot smaller when this covid crisis is done and dusted.

Seeing all these cut backs right across the World, from Large carriers to minnows, makes me wonder are Airbus and Boeing selling any planes? Surely there must be a lot of used planes to be snapped up 2nd hand?

Also going forward, will there ever be any use for the Jumbos & Super Jumbos of this world in the future?

Edit: I apologise I am only referring to passenger planes. I am sure there will always be a market for those big planes as freighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

RTE’s Drivetime ran a feature yesterday on a flight from Faro to Shannon. The plane had 3 passengers. Now I’m no expert, but no business can function where there are more staff (thinking of pilots & attendants ) than paying customers.

The strange thing is, having spoken to a few crew mates who are doing some sort of flying the loads that they have had have been o...k, average about 60-70% LF but sure it sounds far more sensational by saying that a flight to Faro had 3 people on board instead of 80!

https://investor.ryanair.com/traffic/

The press release also gives a more accurate picture of August pax numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

The strange thing is, having spoken to a few crew mates who are doing some sort of flying the loads that they have had have been o...k, average about 60-70% LF but sure it sounds far more sensational by saying that a flight to Faro had 3 people on board instead of 80!

I know for a fact a flight from Reus to Shannon had 1 passenger on board. The outbound Shannon to Reus left with 3 passengers.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I'm sure that there are days with 60%, and 2 days later less than 5% loadfactor.
    Best to look at a monthly average than single out individual flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

These are ticket sold numbers and not actual bums on seats numbers. Normally investors don't care but I'd think they'd be very interested in the no show rates these days as it would give an idea of passenger confidence. No show numbers are very high. These tickets are being sold at a massive discount compared to the sane period last year. Probably even at a loss to help stimulate demand using Ryanairs load factor active, price passive model.

Ryanair have already conceded that the winter season will be a write off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

If you don't show up no refund

Airline only pays the airport for passengers who actually show up

Burn less fuel to get to destination, faster boarding etc, less bags to throw in hold etc

T&C's mean getting the tax refund is impractical

It seems like the idea to sell lots and lots of cheap tickets in the knowledge/hope many won't travel and getting the taxes back is impractical. Pocket the cash (which would have been a loss if the passenger had shown up)

Profit...

I know for a fact a flight from Reus to Shannon had 1 passenger on board. The outbound Shannon to Reus left with 3 passengers.

I know for a fact that last weeks flight from Dublin to Corfu had 80 outbound and 135 inbound. Sure we could round in circles with who knows what 'for a fact' but my point is that a half full or almost full flight versus a flight with 3 passengers doesn't make the news!

My ryanair flight yesterday was one third full if that but cabin crew member told me there was 120 passengers due so there may have been a lot of no-shows.
    I heard them talking about possible imminent redundancy and base moves at the back as I was seated in the final row.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Well, here it is in black and white, Cork airport in serious trouble due to the Government/NPHET's complete shambles in handling travel, and their slow inaction in providing leadership on the issue:
    “At this stage they are crying out for clarity from the Government,” he says. “Airlines are urging the Government to map out a clear path in relation to air travel to and from Ireland. The green list is very limited and they are looking for a change in that regime and whether the blanket 14-day quarantine remains in place.”

Cork Airport and Munster’s economic health are inextricably linked according to a study by aviation consultants InterVistas, which last year estimated that it supports 12,000 jobs (directly or indirectly) and contributes €904 million a year to the local economy.

“Without viable passenger numbers, airlines will continue to make cold decisions with an impact that will last for years to come,” says Cork Chamber of Commerce chief executive Conor Healy, who wants common EU-wide travel rules to be introduced

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/if-ryanair-pulls-out-what-will-happen-to-cork-airport-1.4353781

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Well, here it is in black and white, Cork airport in serious trouble due to the Government/NPHET's complete shambles in handling travel, and their slow inaction in providing leadership on the issue:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/if-ryanair-pulls-out-what-will-happen-to-cork-airport-1.4353781

Micheal Martin.
    Michael McGrath
    Simon Coveney.
    Don't worry if will be sorted 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Came across this story on CNN earlier about a study conducted on ease of transmission of COVID on board an aircraft. Basically, it is extremely unlikely to spread. A tourist group of 24 on a flight from Ben Gurion to Frankfurt had come into contact with a positive case, 7 of them were COVID positive on the flight. 2 other passengers on the flight who were sat in the same row as infected people subsequently caught the virus.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/odds-catching-covid-19-flight-wellness-scn/index.html

Here’s the study itself for those academically minded.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2769383?utm_source=For_The_Media&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=ftm_links&utm_term=081820

With HEPA filters and the top to bottom circulation on board, I always felt aircraft were by far the safest enclosed method of transportation. Like everywhere else, it is really touch points that are the issue (especially the toilets), but that is the case absolutely everywhere, shops, restaurants, pubs, workplaces etc.

Wear a mask, touch as little as possible and clean your hands after every touch of something that hasn’t been wiped down, and air travel is far less risky than filling up the car or buying a bottle of milk.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

HTCOne wrote: »
    Came across this story on CNN earlier about a study conducted on ease of transmission of COVID on board an aircraft. Basically, it is extremely unlikely to spread. A tourist group of 24 on a flight from Ben Gurion to Frankfurt had come into contact with a positive case, 7 of them were COVID positive on the flight. 2 other passengers on the flight who were sat in the same row as infected people subsequently caught the virus.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/odds-catching-covid-19-flight-wellness-scn/index.html

Here’s the study itself for those academically minded.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2769383?utm_source=For_The_Media&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=ftm_links&utm_term=081820

With HEPA filters and the top to bottom circulation on board, I always felt aircraft were by far the safest enclosed method of transportation. Like everywhere else, it is really touch points that are the issue (especially the toilets), but that is the case absolutely everywhere, shops, restaurants, pubs, workplaces etc.

Wear a mask, touch as little as possible and clean your hands after every touch of something that hasn’t been wiped down, and air travel is far less risky than filling up the car or buying a bottle of milk.

I don’t think the aircraft itself is why air travel has been so restricted, more that open borders mean it’s spreads everywhere faster

Locker10a wrote: »
    I don’t think the aircraft itself is why air travel has been so restricted, more that open borders mean it’s spreads everywhere faster

Which, if true, is contrary to EU and WHO advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

No trip to NYC for you

Read carefully, the US imposed a requirement for all flights to use only designated airports as these airports had additional screening services. This has been terminated.

The general must be a US citizen or at the invitation of the US government requirement remains
    These arrival restrictions direct such flights to only land at a limited set of U.S. airports where the U.S. Government (USG) had focused public health resources conducting enhanced entry screening. Other measures to protect public health will remain in place.

• Advertisement

Not sure what this would do for connectivity to the hubs that local businesses need, or fit in with our neutrality, or be any advantage to them over existing airfields they have in the UK....

https://www.limerickpost.ie/2020/09/11/shannon-airport-should-be-turned-over-to-us-air-force/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Not sure what this would do for connectivity to the hubs that local businesses need, or fit in with our neutrality, or be any advantage to them over existing airfields they have in the UK....

https://www.limerickpost.ie/2020/09/11/shannon-airport-should-be-turned-over-to-us-air-force/
    It's the crazy idea of a single independent councilor. It's not worthy of commenting on. Even the other councilors think it mad.
    Cllr Sheahan was also quick to make light of Cllr O’Brien’s comment about the lease for Shannon Airport being turned over to the US Air Force.
    ”That will make the headlines for sure. It’s cracked,” he said.

Oh I know, I just think there's no harm in being reminded just how mad some of our politicians really are.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

Oh I know, I just think there's no harm in being reminded just how mad some of our politicians really are.

Mad is a kind term, I really wish local papers wouldn't give the likes of these politicians publicity as its pretty embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Gov not permitting people within Dublin to travel from Dublin Airport for the next 3 weeks unless ''essential.''

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Gov not permitting people within Dublin to travel from Dublin Airport for the next 3 weeks unless ''essential.''

Where was that said?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

MOL will be fuming at this lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭PommieBast

What is "essential"? Was planning on flying to the UK next week :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭gral6

It is advisory as mehole said himself. F... shambles again

Advertisement