Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus and events

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

ultrapercy wrote: »
    how is League of Ireland getting away with it? They are mostly part time pros. Rugby is full time so they have their bubbles or pods or whatever the ****eology is but LOI players have jobs besides outside a handfull in the top division.
    I think it suited the GAA to stay off as long as possible in the hope they could have crowds again. Without any doubt if they had pushed they would have got elite status.
    The AAI seems very passive and submissive in this whole affair after doing so well to host Nationals successfully in tough circumstance last year.

It suited the GAA because the season doesn't really start till April.

Kids be back training in their sports soon, so that is great news.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I don't watch RTE News anymore. I haven't since December. :)

I became aware of GAA opening up because I saw articles floating around and there was a lot of talk. Other sports clearly didn't reach my consciousness.

It's not a GAA V other sports thing. I'm merely highlighting the massive inconsistencies that are existing in Irish sport (and indeed Irish society for that matter) right now.

You're arguing for the pure sake of it now.

Not arguing with you at all, but your approach should of been, why is Athletics not going ahead, what are AAI doing to get the sport going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

.....what are AAI doing to get the sport going.
    No idea, but to quote their website and updated covid news a few days ago on the 8th April

"The Athletics Ireland Covid Group continue to work closely with the Sport Ireland Expert Group in regard to providing our members with regular updates and information during this difficult time. We are coordinating regular, on-going discussions with key stakeholders on a return to competition as soon as possible and we thank you all for your patience regarding this challenging matter."

Very much a politician's response. Carefully worded with no real information, goals or timelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

It suited the GAA because the season doesn't really start till April.

Kids be back training in their sports soon, so that is great news.

the season starts first week of January. Championship starts in April/May

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Ceepo wrote: »
    @OONEGATIVE

Any word on the ground about Rotterdam marathon.?

Can’t see it happening as we stand here at the minute Ceepo to be honest about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Ceepo

OOnegative wrote: »
    Can’t see it happening as we stand here at the minute Ceepo to be honest about it.

Oh dear,
    A guy I coach had a entry and was ready to race last year, before it got postponed, he also has a entry for DCM,.
    He's not to confident that any of them will go ahead but don't want to enter something else in case one of them does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Oh dear,
    A guy I coach had a entry and was ready to race last year, before it got postponed, he also has a entry for DCM,.
    He's not to confident that any of them will go ahead but don't want to enter something else in case one of them does.

Terraces were supposed to open here this day week and that has now been pushed back a week to the 27th. If a big spike happens again after the terraces have been opened I reckon you can say goodbye to Rotterdam & Amsterdam taking place this year again. Cases are still over 7,000 a day here and no sign of them dropping significantly anytime soon.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Terraces were supposed to open here this day week and that has now been pushed back a week to the 27th. If a big spike happens again after the terraces have been opened I reckon you can say goodbye to Rotterdam & Amsterdam taking place this year again. Cases are still over 7,000 a day here and no sign of them dropping significantly anytime soon.

Thanks for the information. Doesn't sound to promising really

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yup, pretty depressing. What's really worrying me is the Johnson & Johnson vaccine is a very similar vaccine (adenovirus vector) and there have already been reports of similar issues there so very likely NIAC will extend the same advice. Which is really going to **** us over (most of our J&J doses will arrive in late May/June, long after our over 60s are done).

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement

Stark wrote: »
    Yup, pretty depressing. What's really worrying me is the Johnson & Johnson vaccine is a very similar vaccine (adenovirus vector) and there have already been reports of similar issues there so very likely NIAC will extend the same advice. Which is really going to **** us over (most of our J&J doses will arrive in late May/June, long after our over 60s are done).

Added to the fact that J&J was seen as a better option as it was a single dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

'Only' 2 weeks or so apparently so not a major hit the way things are at the moment. All very fluid if J&J goes the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I'm half vaccinated with AZ. I'm assuming they'll still give out the second dose to under 60s. They'd hardly leave us half vaccinated, or start us from scratch again!

I'm half vaccinated with AZ. I'm assuming they'll still give out the second dose to under 60s. They'd hardly leave us half vaccinated, or start us from scratch again!

If you're "low risk", looks like your second shot will be delayed to 16 weeks (pending further investigation).

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Would expect so. Like to see more data on this.

60 to 69 cohort are the only group to get AZ now, wonder do they feel honoured or worried :).

60 to 69 cohort are the only group to get AZ now, wonder do they feel honoured or worried :).

Its Europe playing games with people's lives to save face.

Over 200m people have gotten the AZ vaccine, surely the data from that is enough to go on?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,435 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Doesn’t bother me. Bring it on!

Over 200m people have gotten the AZ vaccine, surely the data from that is enough to go on?

I'm hearing the risk of getting a blood clot is higher on a long haul flight than from the AZ vaccine.

You're not going to go along with that bizarre take are you when it's so obviously untrue? Unless the UK, Australia and America are all European now?

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    You're not going to go along with that bizarre take are you when it's so obviously untrue? Unless the UK, Australia and America are all European now?

Uk has only stopped it for the under 30.
    Australia are stopping it for under 50 only.
    USA i don't know what they are doing.

Over 200m doses of AZ given, how many blood clots or deaths from it?

I take the vaccine right now if they offered it to me.

The European thing is still a bizarre take. All the EMA said was "stick a warning label on it". It's member states like Ireland who are being super conservative.

The European thing is still a bizarre take. All the EMA said was "stick a warning label on it". It's member states like Ireland who are being super conservative.

Europe had an agenda against it since EU screwed up with the vaccinations.

I could well be wrong and that is ok.

Uk has only stopped it for the under 30.
    Australia are stopping it for under 50 only.
    USA i don't know what they are doing.

Over 200m doses of AZ given, how many blood clots or deaths from it?

I take the vaccine right now if they offered it to me.

They didn't stop for games or political reasons though. And I too would take it myself.
    It's member states like Ireland who are being super conservative.

Germany are also halting their rollout to under 60s and I think there's a couple of Scandinavian countries that still are not using it at all.
    Europe had an agenda against it since EU screwed up with the vaccinations.

I could well be wrong and that is ok.

I think you're quite wrong, like I said, it's not like the EU are alone worldwide in their approach, the US took an age to approve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

Last 15% of places for Manchester Marathon (10th October) have gone on sale this morning.....

Sorry going on sale at 12.00 !

Cheers. Entered as a backup to DCM. I'd be keen to do next Spring anyway if DCM goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭opus

If you're "low risk", looks like your second shot will be delayed to 16 weeks (pending further investigation).

A friend of mine in France was telling me that instead of a second shot of AZ she'll be getting one of the other vaccines instead.

Personally I'd take any vaccine going at the moment, well maybe not the Sinopharm (sp?) one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

My mam (70 at end of month) was offered AZ at the weekend and said no to it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Added to the fact that J&J was seen as a better option as it was a single dose.

J&J they were saying, as it is single dose, would be targeted towards people who were unlikely to return for second dose, homeless, those with psychiatric issues etc

My mam (70 at end of month) was offered AZ at the weekend and said no to it.

They've really destroyed this country. Firstly create mass hysteria about the problem (the virus). Then compliment it with mass hysteria about the solution (the vaccine). People are now trapped between two walls of hysteria and don't know how to break out of it.

It's utterly disgusting, and the media have a huge part to play in this.

• Advertisement

J&J they were saying, as it is single dose, would be targeted towards people who were unlikely to return for second dose, homeless, those with psychiatric issues etc

J&J causes blood clots also. Again % is low

Advertisement