Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus and events

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Hurrache wrote: »
    It's great that it's so low, but you'd have to factor in the scarcity of people meeting in groups outdoors anyway so looking at it that way it's hardly surprising.

There's also a scarcity of people meeting indoors too to balance that out. No pubs, no restaurants, no theatres, no nightclubs, no cinemas, no concerts.

Can't have it both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

This was in yesterday's SBP, gave me a modicum of hope for DCM.

549358.jpeg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    International studies are involved here..I dont know what more people like you need to hear to be honest...:confused::confused:

"At the University of Canterbury, Prof Mike Weed studied 27,000 Covid-19 cases based on 6,000 different pieces of data. One study was of 7,500 cases in China and Japan before lockdown in both of those countries. The number of cases associated with outdoor transmission was “so small to be insignificant”, he discovered"

The only thing that big outdoor gatherings of people in public spaces cause is headlines in red top newspapers. Despite multiple instances of massed public gatherings during the last year at beaches, parks, street parties and for various protests, there hasn't been any cases of covid linked with any of these situations.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/never-been-covid-outbreak-linked-5013341

Plenty of newspaper headlines generated about how people hanging out at a beach would cause the impending wave X to occur, never did though.

Despite that, and that I'd have no problem with running around a crowded Dublin in October, or getting on a plane to get there (although I'd not want to do that this month admittedly), I'm not overly confident that Dublin will go ahead. They need to make the call fairly soon, nothing else is up and running yet to prove to the various authorities that it's safe, and even if things are perfectly fine and most of the population taking part are vaccinated, there won't be enough space around the start finish area for everyone. Even with social distancing restrictions removed, people are still going to be standing a bit further apart from each other in October, we won't all be queueing up quite so close together in the line for the portaloos, we'll all want a bit more elbow room in the start pens and all those tiny extra couple of centimetres of space each will add up and we won't fit. Not a problem once running, but the start finish are in Dublin doesn't have the space to expand like London would be able to for instance, where they can just take over the whole of Blackheath and double the number of portaloos without much bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

robinph wrote: »
    The only thing that big outdoor gatherings of people in public spaces cause is headlines in red top newspapers. Despite multiple instances of massed public gatherings during the last year at beaches, parks, street parties and for various protests, there hasn't been any cases of covid linked with any of these situations.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/never-been-covid-outbreak-linked-5013341

Plenty of newspaper headlines generated about how people hanging out at a beach would cause the impending wave X to occur, never did though.

Despite that, and that I'd have no problem with running around a crowded Dublin in October, or getting on a plane to get there (although I'd not want to do that this month admittedly), I'm not overly confident that Dublin will go ahead. They need to make the call fairly soon, nothing else is up and running yet to prove to the various authorities that it's safe, and even if things are perfectly fine and most of the population taking part are vaccinated, there won't be enough space around the start finish area for everyone. Even with social distancing restrictions removed, people are still going to be standing a bit further apart from each other in October, we won't all be queueing up quite so close together in the line for the portaloos, we'll all want a bit more elbow room in the start pens and all those tiny extra couple of centimetres of space each will add up and we won't fit. Not a problem once running, but the start finish are in Dublin doesn't have the space to expand like London would be able to for instance, where they can just take over the whole of Blackheath and double the number of portaloos without much bother.

On Portaloos, it is high time for DCM to have open-air men's urinals.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

echancrure wrote: »
    On Portaloos, it is high time for DCM to have open-air men's urinals.

They definitely have these already. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Disappointing but not unexpected news.

"It is with great regret that Athletics Ireland and Sport Ireland announce the cancellation of the west Waterford AC summer series 2021"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

opus wrote: »
    This was in yesterday's SBP, gave me a modicum of hope for DCM.

A week into April and my 69 year old mother on oxygen has heard nothing and the GP can't currently plan for hers, so would be seriously shocked if we hit that! Different depending on where you are located I guess, my friends mother is from Donegal and her GP is still in Donegal (despite her living in Dublin the last 40 years or so) - so she has been vaccinated before people older than her in Dublin have as the GP had hit her cohort in their registered patients given the smaller numbers where they are versus a Dubin GP I guess.

Wouldn't like to be in the shoes of any race organiser (or any type of event). They're reading/hearing all the vaccination predictions but government have not given any indication of what *may* happen if we hit these to allow them to confidently put plans in place. They have said nothing about how they would look at lifting restrictions on events etc if we successfully hit these.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Location confirmed. ðŸ“

NN Mission Marathon will go ahead as planned on April 18 and will be moved from Hamburg to Enschede, The Netherlands, on the specially designed course on Twente Airport which will be closed for general audience.

#MissionMarathon https://t.co/FoK66qIOfK

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

A week into April and my 69 year old mother on oxygen has heard nothing and the GP can't currently plan for hers, so would be seriously shocked if we hit that! Different depending on where you are located I guess, my friends mother is from Donegal and her GP is still in Donegal (despite her living in Dublin the last 40 years or so) - so she has been vaccinated before people older than her in Dublin have as the GP had hit her cohort in their registered patients given the smaller numbers where they are versus a Dubin GP I guess.

Wouldn't like to be in the shoes of any race organiser (or any type of event). They're reading/hearing all the vaccination predictions but government have not given any indication of what *may* happen if we hit these to allow them to confidently put plans in place. They have said nothing about how they would look at lifting restrictions on events etc if we successfully hit these.

Cant find the article from yesterday where government said their target is all over 40 to be done by June now. Hard to believe though.

Gps giving out the vaccine is the wrong approach, should be big centres doing it like they did in Tallaght over the weekend.

My home county have move on to cohort 4 yesterday and planning finishing first round by this weekend. They have one central location for doing it all

• Registered Users Posts: 16,034 ✭✭✭✭event

Ceepo wrote: »
    Location confirmed. ðŸ“

NN Mission Marathon will go ahead as planned on April 18 and will be moved from Hamburg to Enschede, The Netherlands, on the specially designed course on Twente Airport which will be closed for general audience.

#MissionMarathon https://t.co/FoK66qIOfK

They are running around a runway basically. Ugh

• Advertisement

Friend is over in Barcelona. All pubs and restaurants open for indoor dining until 6pm. After 6pm it's take away only, but everyone eats and drinks on the squares, streets and on the beach. There's a curfew at 10pm, and by 11pm the streets are empty. But it's close to normal life for much of the day. Community level grassroots sport is happening everywhere. There was a big cycling road race the other day with thousands lining the streets.

And guess what, their Covid numbers aren't crazy high.

It's sickening that people over there can live some sense of normality, can go for a meal, a drink, take part in outdoor sporting competitions, irregardless of whether you are elite or not, while here, you aren't even allowed onto an outdoor track to train by yourself - let alone compete in an outdoor environment which poses negligible risk to anyone.

Do we have the best scientists in the world and the Catalans are simply wrong?

The way this has been handled here makes me ashamed to be Irish. The differences between here and the rest of Europe will become more and more pronounced as we enter the Summer. :(

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Friend is over in Barcelona. All pubs and restaurants open for indoor dining until 6pm. After 6pm it's take away only, but everyone eats and drinks on the squares, streets and on the beach. There's a curfew at 10pm, and by 11pm the streets are empty. But it's close to normal life for much of the day. Community level grassroots sport is happening everywhere. There was a big cycling road race the other day with thousands lining the streets.

And guess what, their Covid numbers aren't crazy high.

It's sickening that people over there can live some sense of normality, can go for a meal, a drink, take part in outdoor sporting competitions, irregardless of whether you are elite or not, while here, you aren't even allowed onto an outdoor track to train by yourself - let alone compete in an outdoor environment which poses negligible risk to anyone.

The way this has been handled here makes me ashamed to be Irish. The differences between here and the rest of Europe will become more and more pronounced as we enter the Summer. :(

Sadly their social behaviour is more self control than here. They go out to enjoy food and socialize, alot here go out to get hammered and no control.

I love going there, so lay back. The only real anti social there is the tourists

Mother in law 70 in Dunlblin got their vaccination dates for next Thursday, so things starting to move better.

We rang up to get a booking, seems if you ring and in the age group you get done quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

We are in the midst of the LONGEST lockdown in the WORLD, not Europe...the entire WORLD:pac:....this little island of 5 million people is being run by a gang of mad scientists who have created their own science week on week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Mother in law 70 in Dunlblin got their vaccination dates for next Thursday, so things starting to move better.

We rang up to get a booking, seems if you ring and in the age group you get done quicker

Who did you ring to get a booking?

Who did you ring to get a booking?

Her GP surgery. Would recommend to ring every week

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Her GP surgery. Would recommend to ring every week

Thanks so much for that. I would have thought they'd have got an appointment by now 70+ with underlying conditions and regularly in and out of the GP's surgery so not as if they're off his radar. I'll ask them to give him a call.

Sadly their social behaviour is more self control than here. They go out to enjoy food and socialize, alot here go out to get hammered and no control.

I love going there, so lay back. The only real anti social there is the tourists

Do people who compete in outdoor sport here go out to get hammered while participating in their sport?

*Beer mile aside*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭ariana`

Thanks so much for that. I would have thought they'd have got an appointment by now 70+ with underlying conditions and regularly in and out of the GP's surgery so not as if they're off his radar. I'll ask them to give him a call.

Definitely call. I'm not sure if they are distinguishing between chronic and underlying conditions but I know someone in her 40s with an chronic condition (Crohns disease) who is getting it this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

Hope your mum gets sorted out soon. I've an elderly relative (late 80's) where everything had a lot less drama than she expected so fingers crossed that happens for most people.

Will be easy enough to judge how things are going by the end of the month I'd guess as you can just tick off how many of the delivery targets have been met.

549442.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

event wrote: »
    They are running around a runway basically. Ugh

I have a couple of Strava crowns which can never be taken from me thanks to a 10km made up from two laps of the local runway a few years ago. Since they landed the last Concorde the runway has closed and they are now in the process of building houses on it so my crowns will live forever. Yay. :)

At least until Strava dissappears or someone goes and flags the segments as invalid because it goes through the middle of a school or pub or something in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 TheFinanceGod

What's the verdict on Belfast Milers Club scheduled for May 29th up in Mary Peters lads?

I'm a southern athlete entered for the 1500m. Start lists are due to come out in the next couple days, but I'd be fairly confident in saying that around 60/70% of the entries will be Southern Athletes from all over the country.

I couldn't believe Athletics Ireland cancelled Cork City Sports and Morton that were due to take place in LATE JULY.

I know it's a different constituency and all that but how can Athletics Ireland justify cancelling those two crucial meets when an International Meet like Belfast Milers Club can take place in May only 100 miles up the road in Antrim.

Anyone know how this can go ahead with current southern restrictions? Could they call of all southern athletes from taking part?

Grateful to have an entry but it is head melting trying to predict if this meet will go ahead for southern athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The way this has been handled here makes me ashamed to be Irish.

C'mon, get off the cross and out of the mire of misery you seem to lounge around in. There's several countries in Europe alone that currently have stricter curfews.

Do people who compete in outdoor sport here go out to get hammered while participating in their sport?

*Beer mile aside*

I was talking about their social scene.

Sport wise I indicated in loads of previous posts that sport should be on

Hurrache wrote: »
    C'mon, get off the cross and out of the mire of misery you seem to lounge around in. There's several countries in Europe alone that currently have stricter curfews.

Curfew at night, life during the day.

Not ideal, but I'd take it any day over the longest lockdown in Europe.

Just had my arm twisted to do a track 3000m race at the weekend. The club is hiring the local track for the afternoon and then doing a bunch of 1500m and 3000m races, calling it a bunch of group runs, get a few people potentially to then sign up for our sister club which does track racing whilst we do road and XC racing and a few other people get play with stop watches and attempting to record times.

Nothing official, no real times will be recorded for national rankings but should be a good bit of fun and something different. Get the head into racing mode as well despite the lack of my normal practice events of parkruns.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Snodge

What's the verdict on Belfast Milers Club scheduled for May 29th up in Mary Peters lads?

I'm a southern athlete entered for the 1500m. Start lists are due to come out in the next couple days, but I'd be fairly confident in saying that around 60/70% of the entries will be Southern Athletes from all over the country.

I couldn't believe Athletics Ireland cancelled Cork City Sports and Morton that were due to take place in LATE JULY.

I know it's a different constituency and all that but how can Athletics Ireland justify cancelling those two crucial meets when an International Meet like Belfast Milers Club can take place in May only 100 miles up the road in Antrim.

Anyone know how this can go ahead with current southern restrictions? Could they call of all southern athletes from taking part?

Grateful to have an entry but it is head melting trying to predict if this meet will go ahead for southern athletes.

I am in a similar position, southern athlete also entered for Belfast on the 29th. I am confident that the meet will go ahead. However, I fear that restrictions down here won’t allow us to travel to Belfast to race.

You make a good point that the majority of enteries will likely be athletes from the south so I wonder would we be given an exemption to travel to compete?

Likewise, tormented trying to predict if the meet will go ahead/if we get to travel so any information/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Big call on Cork City sports and Morton Games, very disappointing especially given that they were scheduled for late July. I know a lot of those competing in these meets traditionally travel from outside of Ireland. But surely, even if the international element had to be cancelled the meets could have went ahead for Irish based athletes? There is good depth and talent at the minute that would surely make for some great races!

Snodge wrote: »
    I am in a similar position, southern athlete also entered for Belfast on the 29th. I am confident that the meet will go ahead. However, I fear that restrictions down here won’t allow us to travel to Belfast to race.

You make a good point that the majority of enteries will likely be athletes from the south so I wonder would we be given an exemption to travel to compete?

Likewise, tormented trying to predict if the meet will go ahead/if we get to travel so any information/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Big call on Cork City sports and Morton Games, very disappointing especially given that they were scheduled for late July. I know a lot of those competing in these meets traditionally travel from outside of Ireland. But surely, even if the international element had to be cancelled the meets could have went ahead for Irish based athletes? There is good depth and talent at the minute that would surely make for some great races!

I deleted the Twitter app for the sake of my mental health and as a reward I missed the small window entries were open for this meet. I'm beyond sickened. Relying now on an athlete dropping out of the 100m/200m to get a run out. Fingers crossed.

I suspect it will go ahead, and I know that the meet director has said athletes from the South are most welcome. Not too pushed about the whole county travel limit thing. Can't see many adhering to that. Who knows what Athletics Ireland might do regarding it all though - they could forbid their athletes to travel, granting "access" to maybe 15-20 elites. They can't really stop you travelling up though, unless they threaten to suspend athletes or something. That wouldn't be a good look though. You'd hope they are lobbying the powers that be to get outdoor sporting competitions fully back up and running given what we know now (and always knew let's be honest) about outdoor transmission.

How depressing is it that for a second summer we are reduced to scrapping around trying to find races as if they were U2 tickets or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Snodge wrote: »

If inter-county travel ban is still in place and you want to do it, public transport is your friend to get there.;)

• Advertisement

If inter-county travel ban is still in place and you want to do it, public transport is your friend to get there.;)

Or just say you are visiting a grave.

Advertisement