Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus and events

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Or just say you are visiting a grave.

Or visiting a love one in a nursing home. We are allowed to leave the county to visit dad in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,034 ✭✭✭✭event

Ye couldnt pay me to go to Belfast at the moment. Nothing to do with COVID, just their current troubles. Hopefully died down by end of May though. Thats a bank holiday up there too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Getting to Belfast isn't a problem. It's how AAI approach this meet that is the unknown.

They posted a tweet yesterday that had nothing to do with athletics - urging people with no symptoms to visit these pop up testing centres. They won't be swaying from the government narrative that's for sure.

event wrote: »
    Ye couldnt pay me to go to Belfast at the moment. Nothing to do with COVID, just their current troubles. Hopefully died down by end of May though. Thats a bank holiday up there too

Mary Peters track is well outside Belfast City to be fair. Very peaceful quiet area from what I've seen. Lovely spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

when do people see the club events like 5k and 8km coming back?
    they were always good fun and helped with training as it allowed you to have something to target.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Butterbeans

when do people see the club events like 5k and 8km coming back?
    they were always good fun and helped with training as it allowed you to have something to target.

Thanks
    I think anyone following this thread has the same question and feelings regarding smaller events. Any answer will be speculative.
    In a common sense world, and if things were to go to plan (vaccinations and no unforseen issues), you'd think late summer / early autumn, but who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

27,000 ran the Wuxi marathon in China today!!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    27,000 ran the Wuxi marathon in China today!!!

Should of used their lockdown methods

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Should of used their lockdown methods

Not the point I was making, more great to see 27,000 people running a marathon again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Not the point I was making, more great to see 27,000 people running a marathon again.

Totally agree, the more we see mass participation events going on the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

Last 15% of places for Manchester Marathon (10th October) have gone on sale this morning.....

Sorry going on sale at 12.00 !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Ceepo

@OONEGATIVE

Any word on the ground about Rotterdam marathon.?

It was a joke

So intercounty GAA, which was not deemed elite during this recent level 5 lockdown, now have the go ahead for competition to start May 8th, despite nationwide travel not being permitted. Meanwhile all athletics competition requires nationwide travel before the green light is given.

Somebody explain that one to me as I'm pretty stumped. Is Leitrim v Roscommon in hurling of a greater standard that a graded meet, IMC meet, AAI Games etc.

Answer is no.

So intercounty GAA, which was not deemed elite during this recent level 5 lockdown, now have the go ahead for competition to start May 8th, despite nationwide travel not being permitted. Meanwhile all athletics competition requires nationwide travel before the green light is given.

Somebody explain that one to me as I'm pretty stumped. Is Leitrim v Roscommon in hurling of a greater standard that a graded meet, IMC meet, AAI Games etc.

Answer is no.

Soccer and Rugby has being on going. Gaa are carrying out covid tests before the players take part in every game.

Hockey League in Ireland is also back in May.

What did Athletics Ireland put forward ? Stop blaming everyone else and look at your own sport and their short comings. Athletics Ireland is worst than the FAI.

Gymnastics Ireland managed to get indoor training last Sept up to Xmas. and I bet they get indoor training back soon also before Athletics Ireland gets their act together.

Soccer and Rugby has being on going. Gaa are carrying out covid tests before the players take part in every game.

Hockey League in Ireland is also back in May.

What did Athletics Ireland put forward ? Stop blaming everyone else and look at your own sport and their short comings. Athletics Ireland is worst than the FAI.

Gymnastics Ireland managed to get indoor training last Sept up to Xmas. and I bet they get indoor training back soon also before Athletics Ireland gets their act together.

Point out in my post where I was blaming everyone else?

The blame is partly on our governing body for sitting back and allowing this.

The blame is also on our government and Sport Ireland who seem to have a system in place that rewards those who can lobby best. Hardly a fair and equal approach to the reopening of sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭ariana`

Answer is no.

It's very frustrating. Along with people having to quarantine when they come into the country even when they have been vaccinated and have a recent negative Covid test. It beggars belief really. I'm not sure what the point of vaccination is if those who have it can't start to live & travel somewhat freely - surely that is the whole point of it :confused:

I'd question how hard AAI are fighting for their athletes/events though. It's all about throwing your weight around up there - the teachers unions are a prime example :cool:

Point out in my post where I was blaming everyone else?

The blame is partly on our governing body for sitting back and allowing this.

The blame is also on our government and Sport Ireland who seem to have a system in place that rewards those who can lobby best. Hardly a fair and equal approach to the reopening of sports.

Maybe AAI didn't put anything forward ? Ever think of that.
    Every other sport seems to be going ahead, seems to have a plan and proposal. What did AAI do?

Maybe AAI didn't put anything forward ? Ever think of that.
    Every other sport seems to be going ahead, seems to have a plan and proposal. What did AAI do?

You seem to love arguing with fictional posts or something. You are arguing with somebody who agrees with you.

Calm it.

ariana` wrote: »
    It's very frustrating. Along with people having to quarantine when they come into the country even when they have been vaccinated and have a recent negative Covid test. It beggars belief really. I'm not sure what the point of vaccination is if those who have it can't start to live & travel somewhat freely - surely that is the whole point of it :confused:

I'd question how hard AAI are fighting for their athletes/events though. It's all about throwing your weight around up there - the teachers unions are a prime example :cool:

Because you can still transmit the virus even if you have the vaccine. Not enough evidence to say other wise.

Shouldn't be coming here unless its essential anyhow

• Advertisement

Because you can still transmit the virus even if you have the vaccine. Not enough evidence to say other wise.

Shouldn't be coming here unless its essential anyhow

You can still die in a car crash going at 30 km/h, but the likelihood is very low.

There will always be some risk.

By your logic, we should stay closed forever.

You seem to love arguing with fictional posts or something. You are arguing with somebody who agrees with you.

Calm it.

Your first post indicated that GAA got special treatment. Otherwise why mention one sport and others that are allowed to go ahead

You can still die in a car crash going at 30 km/h, but the likelihood is very low.

There will always be some risk.

By your logic, we should stay closed forever.

Never said we should stay closed forever. I am saying right now the quarantine hotel is the correct approach, 12 months too late.

We need to discourage people from coming here, so we can have a good summer with hopefully everything open.

Your first post indicated that GAA got special treatment. Otherwise why mention one sport and others that are allowed to go ahead

Because it was in the news recently and is extremely high profile, so I was fully aware of their plans.

Archery etc, not so much.

Maybe you shouldn't put words into other people's mouths.

Because it was in the news recently and is extremely high profile, so I was fully aware of their plans.

Archery etc, not so much.

Maybe you shouldn't put words into other people's mouths.

Other sports were in the news also. Rugby in the news today about getting fans back at matches with testing.

Yet AAI hasn't got a clue how to let someone access a running track

Never said we should stay closed forever. I am saying right now the quarantine hotel is the correct approach, 12 months too late.

We need to discourage people from coming here, so we can have a good summer with hopefully everything open.

It's an idiotic approach. Anyone with half a brain cell will fly in via the North.

It's completely pointless if there isn't an all Ireland approach.

And its unconstitutional. Israel has been taken off the list with immediate effect after the recent fiasco. Anyone who challenges this through the courts will win, and will likely win before it even gets to the courts.

Other sports were in the news also. Rugby in the news today about getting fans back at matches with testing.

Yet AAI hasn't got a clue how to let someone access a running track

I'm not talking about professional sports that have been allowed run throughout this lockdown.

I'm talking about sports that were not deemed elite. That's 99.9% of sport. GAA is classified in that bracket since January.

I'm not talking about professional sports that have been allowed run throughout this lockdown.

I'm talking about sports that were not deemed elite. That's 99.9% of sport. GAA is classified in that bracket since January.

Hockey Ireland were also in the news early last week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

how is League of Ireland getting away with it? They are mostly part time pros. Rugby is full time so they have their bubbles or pods or whatever the ****eology is but LOI players have jobs besides outside a handfull in the top division.
    I think it suited the GAA to stay off as long as possible in the hope they could have crowds again. Without any doubt if they had pushed they would have got elite status.
    The AAI seems very passive and submissive in this whole affair after doing so well to host Nationals successfully in tough circumstance last year.

• Advertisement

Hockey Ireland were also in the news early last week

I don't watch RTE News anymore. I haven't since December. :)

I became aware of GAA opening up because I saw articles floating around and there was a lot of talk. Other sports clearly didn't reach my consciousness.

It's not a GAA V other sports thing. I'm merely highlighting the massive inconsistencies that are existing in Irish sport (and indeed Irish society for that matter) right now.

You're arguing for the pure sake of it now.

Advertisement