Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus and events

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Wouldn't read/trust anything from John McGuirk. Guy's a troglodyte more or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

The Swedes get more value from their taxes. Was over there before this all kicked off and raising kid over there is more supportive than here.

Also everyone pays tax no matter what you earn, which is the right thing

fair decent support here for raising children too, in comparrison with most countries anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Anyone for sitting on rugs at Slane Castle while Springsteen or U2 work their magic on stage?

https://twitter.com/JRD0000/status/1381895336256475140

At this point I'm starting to think McKonkey and Byrne are an item. Why else would she afford this clown so much unchallenged air time on her show!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Stark wrote: »
    Wouldn't read/trust anything from John McGuirk. Guy's a troglodyte more or less.

I only knew about this because of stuff I read on twitter this morning. I wouldn't be seeing anything McGuirk says otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Stark wrote: »

Hes one of the only ones talking sense throughout this whole thing tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Hes one of the only ones talking sense throughout this whole thing tbh

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McGuirk

First FF, then FG, then Libertas, then ‘New Vision’. If he keeps going further to the right, he’ll fall off. He has his point of view, and that’s his right. But just to be clear about where his ideology is.

Murph_D wrote: »
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McGuirk

First FF, then FG, then Libertas, then ‘New Vision’. If he keeps going further to the right, he’ll fall off. He has his point of view, and that’s his right. But just to be clear about where his ideology is.

Yeah couldn't give rats about his ideology..Im specifically referring to his commentary over the last year regards Lockdown, Covid etc.

Look at his recent commentary on Texas, cases numbers are falling and there is not a single covid regulation in place.

Texas rangers baseball games happening at full capacity with only 50% of 30,000 wearing masks all remember sitting beside each other for 4+ hours.

You then have people on here who think Dublin Marathon can't go ahead because you will be standing beside Mary for 20 minutes before you start...its ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It pretty desperate when people like McGuirk are said to be right in his scientific analysis of something he hasn't a ****ing clue about and Gript being used as a source for stories. I'm surprised he hasn't yet claimed it's god's way of punishing baby killers.

Hurrache wrote: »
    It pretty desperate when people like McGuirk are said to be right in his scientific analysis of something he hasn't a ****ing clue about and Gript being used as a source for stories. I'm surprised he hasn't yet claimed it's god's way of punishing baby killers.

If we all followed the "scientific analysis" of NPHET and NIAC we'd never step foot outside the door again...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Ah sure we'll just pray it away instead.

• Advertisement

Ah sure we'll just pray it away instead.
    Indeed, what has science ever done for us?

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Indeed, what has science ever done for us?

People using science for nefarious means you should be concerned about...hence how we on this little island in Western Europe have ended up in the world longest lockdown;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If we all followed the "scientific analysis" of NPHET and NIAC we'd never step foot outside the door again...:pac:

The science says that outdoor transmission of covid is so low as to be insignificant, but I guess we only follow some science.

The science says that outdoor transmission of covid is so low as to be insignificant, but I guess we only follow some science.

Please tell that to NPHET not me....

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

It is not just the runners turning up and on your way.

it is also the people standing on the road side cheering you on.

DCM can't say it is going ahead as they need approval from council and garda and probably others.

They need hundreds if not a few thousands volunteers.

I would expect next week on the euro 2020 going ahead or not will decide a lot of things

SeeMoreBut wrote: »

DCM can't say it is going ahead as they need approval from council and garda and probably others.

I would expect next week on the euro 2020 going ahead or not will decide a lot of things

Did you miss this? Or is insignificant just too high?!...

The science says that outdoor transmission of covid is so low as to be insignificant....

Why are Parkruns not allowed? Smaller races? Track meets?

Transmission outside is negligible so what odds about a few people lining the track?

The science says that outdoor transmission of covid is so low as to be insignificant....

Expo is indoors. Public transport is indoors. Peoole gathering in doorways to dress/undress is partialy indoors.
    Outdoor activity such as sports training, where social distancing isn't an issue should certainly recommence but mass participation events like Marathons are a while away yet unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Why are Parkruns not allowed? Smaller races? Track meets?

Transmission outside is negligible so what odds about a few people lining the track?

It probably as low as can be but do you want to be the organiser of the event that causes an outbreak?

If people just turned up at a parkrun and ran things might get started sooner but people like to have a chat and hang around. Even in parkruns you need helpers.

I can't wait to go back running against the clock but I've accepted that most of the year will be canned and if it comes back then a bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

It probably as low as can be but do you want to be the organiser of the event that causes an outbreak?

If people just turned up at a parkrun and ran things might get started sooner but people like to have a chat and hang around. Even in parkruns you need helpers.

I can't wait to go back running against the clock but I've accepted that most of the year will be canned and if it comes back then a bonus

Well track races were organised in Ireland last summer and there were no outbreaks.

If fear of something that is so unlikely (transmission in an outdoor setting) is going to stop anyone attempting to organise something, then we will never come out of this.

Morton and Cork City Sports should never have been cancelled.

Track meets will be taking place all across Continental Europe this Spring and Summer. We are actually now forcing our elite athletes to make extra trips abroad now by cancelling these 2 meets.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Expo is indoors. Public transport is indoors. Peoole gathering in doorways to dress/undress is partialy indoors.
    Outdoor activity such as sports training, where social distancing isn't an issue should certainly recommence but mass participation events like Marathons are a while away yet unfortunately.

Expo can be replaced by an envelope with a stamp on, although that then potentially means the end of certain marathons existing as the expo and money from sponsors will be one of the main income streams. Also a major income stream for the various small companies that would rely on expos to get their income each year.

Transport to and from the event, and if pubs are allowed to be open in a way to handle the numbers will be the big other issues which it's not really possible to work around, other than shutting pubs for the day around the start/ finish and that's not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Yeah couldn't give rats about his ideology..Im specifically referring to his commentary over the last year regards Lockdown, Covid etc.

Look at his recent commentary on Texas, cases numbers are falling and there is not a single covid regulation in place.

Texas rangers baseball games happening at full capacity with only 50% of 30,000 wearing masks all remember sitting beside each other for 4+ hours.

You then have people on here who think Dublin Marathon can't go ahead because you will be standing beside Mary for 20 minutes before you start...its ridiculous.

Unless Mary is pacing sub 3 this year I'll just move away.

Just a thought.... if they only use pacers who test positive and you have to stay ahead of them instead of running in their slip stream I bet a lot of people would hit their targets'.:)

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

What, you think people aren't already hanging around chatting in parks?

The level of unnecessary fear permeating this country is astounding.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Have myself another nearly race tomorrow of 5 miles. Its a time trial setup again with everyone being set off at 10 second intervals. Unfortunately I think I've been allocated a slot quite early on so might not be able to make full use of the psychological benefits of chasing people and will instead have loads of people chasing me. Better than nothing though.

The 3000m club race last weekend was awesome fun though. I got lucky that although there was only a handful of us jn the race there was one other person going very similar pace to me throughout. So we swapped places a few times along the way and it really felt like proper racing for the first time in over a year... Until she left me for dead in the final sprit for the line with young springy legs which could change pace much quicker. Seeing that I'd normally have been racing her dad for vet prizes though can't complain too much about being beaten by someone less than half your age.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,983 ✭✭✭✭event

People using science for nefarious means you should be concerned about...hence how we on this little island in Western Europe have ended up in the world longest lockdown;)

Maybe off topic but what 'nefarious reasons' do you mean?

I'd say Glynn and Holohan have been waiting for this for years alright. Delighted now so they can tell people to stay inside. First part of their master plan is complete. Next is .................??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

fair decent support here for raising children too, in comparrison with most countries anyway.

Not compare to most EU countries, i mean look at healthcare, childcare cost, facilities for kids for recreation activities, sport in the school?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

What, you think people aren't already hanging around chatting in parks?

The level of unnecessary fear permeating this country is astounding.

Just look at playgrounds, plenty of chatting going on

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

He's an atheist.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

He's an atheist.

An atheist who writes for The Irish Catholic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

robinph wrote: »
    Have myself another nearly race tomorrow of 5 miles. Its a time trial setup again with everyone being set off at 10 second intervals. Unfortunately I think I've been allocated a slot quite early on so might not be able to make full use of the psychological benefits of chasing people and will instead have loads of people chasing me. Better than nothing though.

The 3000m club race last weekend was awesome fun though. I got lucky that although there was only a handful of us jn the race there was one other person going very similar pace to me throughout. So we swapped places a few times along the way and it really felt like proper racing for the first time in over a year... Until she left me for dead in the final sprit for the line with young springy legs which could change pace much quicker. Seeing that I'd normally have been racing her dad for vet prizes though can't complain too much about being beaten by someone less than half your age.

Great to read a race report around here again.

Advertisement