Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Somewhere in the mountains...

On a ship with a year's provisions.

https://youtu.be/4gZ6bpIjeLs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Interesting piece from Gareth O'Callaghan today..
    Covid-19, or coronavirus, is currently sweeping its way across the world. That is a fact. It was confirmed this morning by a number of trusted medical sources. It’s only a matter of days, possibly hours, before cases of the virus are identified here in Ireland.

Here’s a photograph taken this week of the city centre of Wuhan, in China, where the coronavirus, Covid-19, started. It looks like a scene from a science fiction movie. No one is working. Everyone has been advised to stay off the streets and to isolate themselves.

Government and health authorities have now practically shut down Wuhan, with a population of 11 million (something similar to London), in the hope of reducing the rapid spread of this relatively unknown virus. It’s fair to say that fear is spreading throughout the world faster than the virus, and that is not helpful.

What I thought might be helpful would be to do a little bit of research on this virus and share it here today, in the hope that those who are worried by all they are hearing up to now might feel more informed and less anxious.

So what exactly is Covid-19? It’s caused by a member of the coronavirus family that would appear to have been dormant up to now, or else it has mutated from another member of the family. Like other coronaviruses, it has come from animals.

Many of those initially infected either worked or frequently shopped in the Huanan seafood wholesale market in the centre of the Chinese city.

The initial symptoms are a persistent cough, a high temperature and breathing difficulties. Wiping sweat from your forehead even though you’re not engaged in any strenuous activity is also a symptom. As this is a viral flu, antibiotics are of no use. The antiviral drugs available against flu in extreme cases will not cure Covid-19. Recovery over the next few weeks and months depends on the strength of the individual’s immune system.

Some people have been hearing that a vaccine will be available within the next couple of weeks. This is NOT true. Scientists are saying it will take between eight and twelve months before a vaccine for Covid-19 becomes available for humans to take.

Another myth doing the rounds is that there is already a vaccine available, but the manufacturers won’t release it because they are waiting for the spread of the virus to worsen before they set a price to charge for it. This is pure nonsense.

Doctors here in Ireland are saying today that if you have recently travelled back from areas affected by coronavirus and you are feeling unwell, you should stay indoors at home and avoid contact with other people as you would with the flu.

A number of schools in Northern Ireland have sent pupils who have recently been skiing in northern Italy home for a two-week quarantine period. However pupils in the Republic who were skiing in the same resorts last week are this morning attending school as usual. The schools in question may regret their decision to allow these students to return to school so quickly.

The general feeling is that Irish hospitals are not capable of dealing with an epidemic of coronavirus. World Health Organisation experts are warning that it’s not a case of ‘if’, but a case of ‘when’ this virus becomes a ‘pandemic’, which means it will sweep across the world, affecting the majority of countries.

Each person infected with coronavirus has been passing the disease on to between two or three other people on average at transmission rates recorded two weeks ago, according to two separate scientific analyses of the epidemic; but this is now increasing as the transmission rapidly gathers speed.

In the coming days, if you suspect you have the coronavirus – high temperature, persistent cough, difficulty breathing, do not go to your GP, or to the local A&E. There is nothing your GP can do for you except advice you to go home and isolate yourself from the rest of the household as much as you possibly can.

Better to ring your GP’s surgery and ask advice.
    More and more doctors are now contracting the virus, because they are coming face to face with patients who already have.

Because there won’t be any vaccine available until much later this year, and none of the antiviral drugs they give to people with compromised immune systems and those with other underlying health issues have an effect on this virus, doctors are saying you’re best to avoid work or school and stay in bed; take paracetamol, or those familiar hot lemon/blackcurrant drinks containing paracetamol, and stay hydrated.

Remember, none of us is indispensable. If you go to work with this virus, then everybody you work with most likely gets the virus; thanks to your generous lack of consideration.

The World Health Organisation is saying that this virus is highly contagious. So we should avoid crowded places, and moving around within confined areas where we are mixing with a lot of people.

Many of us remember the MERS (Middle East respiratory syndrome) virus back in 2012, which was a member of the coronavirus family; and SARS (Severe acute respiratory syndrome), also a member of the coronavirus family, back in 2002. Both of these serious viruses were contained very quickly, preventing their spread from reaching the rest of the world.

Unfortunately, due to increased global travel, and cheaper and more frequent flights to almost every corner of the world, Covid-19 is now unstoppable. It is on the move.

Small children and elderly people are most at risk of getting the virus, as well as those with serious ongoing health issues. So it’s important that each of us does our part in trying to avoid it. Here are a few tips:

The virus gets into you through your nose and mouth. Pick up a bottle of sanitiser from your chemist or supermarket and keep it in your bag or your pocket. They cost only a couple of euros.

Rub in onto your hands frequently during the day, and even rub a hint of it under your nose; particularly if you use public transport, or you have to take a flight somewhere. Computer keyboards need to be sanitised. Also encourage young children to bring a sanitiser to school with them and show them how to use it.

Stop shaking people’s hands for a few weeks, and that includes the ‘sign of peace’ gesture during Mass, if you are a churchgoer.

Kissing is another risky gesture; unless you’re crazy about the person you’re kissing, preferably well-known to each other on an intimate level, and you don’t care if locking lips could mean a week sick in bed. (If French kissing is not your style, then please ignore the last piece of advice.)

Carry tissues with you. Blow your nose into the tissue and bin it. If you feel a sneeze coming on, then sneeze into the crook of your elbow if you can’t grab a tissue in time.

A sneeze travels at about 100 miles per hour. A single sneeze can send 100,000 germs into the air. That means a single sneeze from someone with coronavirus can infect everyone in a single classroom, office space, or most passengers on an average domestic airplane.

Sneezing in public with your mouth wide open, as if you’re shouting, is about as sociable as picking your nose. It’s revolting. Carry plenty of tissues.

Finally, don’t panic. It serves no positive purpose. Check in on your elderly neighbours and parents and reassure them.

And don’t believe the conspiracy theories. They will only make you feel unwell - even if you’re not. As Phil Esterhaus used to say in ‘Hill Street Blues’, Let’s be careful out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,325 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Talking to a friend of mine who works in Dublin Airport today. He told me that there is little or nothing being done as a precaution against the virus. A plane landed direct from China yesterday, the passengers got off and walked around the airport, collected their bags and went onto their connecting flight to Heathrow. Apparently their bags had Heathrow on their tags. My friend asked why Dublin was not on their tags to which he was told that the flight was supposed to go direct to Heathrow but was not allowed so they diverted to Dublin and they are travelling from her to London. So the UK bans a direct flight from china but we have no problem letting it land here and its passengers walk around the airport.

Cool story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Beasty wrote: »
    Do not post in this thread again

Followed that removed link looks genuine will I post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ReneeCali

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    BBC news tonight said that experience to date shows that 81% of those with the virus get only a very mild form that doesn't require any medical treatment. Which is a comfort.

That said my sister in law who is a senior nurse in a large Dublin hospital phoned to insist we go out tomorrow and buy suitable face masks. Which is a bit disconcerting.

Are you serious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

fritzelly wrote: »
    Cool story

Thanks bro:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

So come back to us when they do and ask your question again.

At least try harder then that.

Where’s Germany’s 1000s of cases from there first infected in January?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-coronavirus-germany/germany-is-at-start-of-coronavirus-epidemic-health-minister-idUSKCN20K2MG?il=0&utm_source=reddit.com

Nearly all the graphs I saw have almost flat lines for a period of time and then exponential growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Followed that removed link looks genuine will I post?

Surely if its genuine it needs viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Skiing trips for kids in Italy..

We were lucky to get to the fcuking cliffs of moher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

my sister in law who is a senior nurse in a large Dublin hospital phoned to insist we go out tomorrow and buy suitable face masks

That is for the the UGLY virus :cool: in law is being smart.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Surely if its genuine it needs viewing.

I was one of the people who mocked that poster and Beasty told him not to post again.

I will wait for his call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

In Wuhan there were cases first talked about in early December and we did not see what we see in terms of mass spreading until the middle of January.

Maybe you should try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I live in Sligo and our holiday was a week in Enniscrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

I was one of the people who mocked that poster and Beasty told him not to post again.

I will wait for his call.

Thought he sounded genuine. Pity

Talking to a friend of mine who works in Dublin Airport today. He told me that there is little or nothing being done as a precaution against the virus. A plane landed direct from China yesterday, the passengers got off and walked around the airport, collected their bags and went onto their connecting flight to Heathrow. Apparently their bags had Heathrow on their tags. My friend asked why Dublin was not on their tags to which he was told that the flight was supposed to go direct to Heathrow but was not allowed so they diverted to Dublin and they are travelling from her to London. So the UK bans a direct flight from china but we have no problem letting it land here and its passengers walk around the airport.

Anyone confirm this on flight radar!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Cliffs of Moher, that’s fancy! We went to Knock!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Unreg0909

I live in Sligo and our holiday was a week in Enniscrone.

Beautiful spot it is too!

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Thought he sounded genuine. Pity

Always skeptical of a low post count I will send you the link see what you think.

Interesting the screen capture is from school hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,241 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The zoo. Every year, for Primary and secondary. It was the ****ing zoo.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Only got the coca cola factory

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

It may not have been yesterday but was in the last couple of days. He's not the type to tell porkies so I believe him 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

You'd assume victim means she died but the article doesn't actually say that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

wakka12 wrote: »
    It seems to be growing even faster than Wuhan. Almost 500 cases now in just a few days, Italy has 2 confirmed cases not even 5 days ago.

It’s not sounding good. The reported cases in Italy jumped to roughly 500.

Italians and Spanish often backpack around Europe and takes just one affected person to travel to the airport and travel outside of the country to spread the virus to others. This is the worst-case scenario for the Italy outbreak.

The pathogen can get inside people and people who get the virus will not notice there is anything wrong with them for days. I think the real fear is people don’t want to get sick and take the chance they may die, even though the chances are still low if you never had medical problems in the past and are healthy. 

Still smokers, cancer sufferers, and people with diabetes and people with chest/lung problems, the old and infants are high-risk subjects. The virus from what the doctors are saying attacks the chest and lungs inside your body.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

something about Trump giving a briefing, but no details

https://twitter.com/HansMahncke/status/1232740464111038464

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

So is anyone immune to COVID ? Matt Damon was in contagion so.... some people must be immune to COVID ?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

Should I be considering cancelling my flights to Milan next week, I'm not sure what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,325 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

There was none

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Watching the new European countries confirming their cases on the Guardian Live feed is like watching the voting on Eurovision -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

silverharp wrote: »
    something about Trump giving a briefing, but no details

https://twitter.com/HansMahncke/status/1232740464111038464

Trump gutted the funding and fired without replacing the management for the people who would deal with an epidemic... so he could build a wall... should Ireland build a wall ???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement