Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

So everybody’s goes skiing in Northen Italy in February :( ???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

When was Italy’s first case?

Jan 31st in Milan
    Feb 20th is when it blew up

• Registered Users Posts: 23,488 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

5 cases in Germany in the last 3 hours.

I wonder are we going to see a surge in confirmed cases in the country over the next 24 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ReneeCali

Thanks for writing "fact" in all upper case letters for me, it must be true. Checking temperatures has no real merit apparently. So a country with a significant growth in infections is normal and ireland, with no infections, is apparently failing the battle with the virus?

So you think that Ireland has taken sufficient precautions to prevent COVID-19? Shure it will be grand won't it? Shure Ireland won't be affected because it shurrounded by water, Paddy? Keep the tills ringing as long as you can, no matter what the cost, right Paddy?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,448 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

What is the death rate for a healthy middle-aged rich white male ?
    100%. If not even suffering from the virus, you will definitely die, but there remains a big question over when that will happen......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

80+ years old
    14.8%
    70-79 years old
    8.0%
    60-69 years old
    3.6%
    50-59 years old
    1.3%
    40-49 years old
    0.4%
    30-39 years old
    0.2%
    20-29 years old
    0.2%
    10-19 years old
    0.2%
    0-9 years old
    no fatalities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

A small group of pupils at Prince George and Princess Charlotte’s primary school, Thomas’s Battersea have been sent home as a precautionary measure following a trip to northern Italy. Worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

ReneeCali wrote: »
    So you think that Ireland has taken sufficient precautions to prevent COVID-19? Shire it will be grand won't it? Shure Ireland won't be affected because it shurrounded by water, Paddy? Keep the tills ringing as long as you can, no matter what the cost, right Paddy?

It's seasonal like the flu. We won't hear of it again after April.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Thanks for writing "fact" in all upper case letters for me, it must be true. Checking temperatures has no real merit apparently. So a country with a significant growth in infections is normal and ireland, with no infections, is apparently failing the battle with the virus?

Temperature is a symptom, people can be asymptomatic and still transmit it. Checking temps will help isolate those who are symptomatic but the proportion who aren't will wander through and get sick days later.

On a note of humour but with some serious wishful thinking behind it, we woulc be in a great position to contain this if we wanted to (although it's probably here already). But if it weren't: we're on an island with essentially two ways for this virus to get in.

1. Close the ports and airports down now.
    2. Get Mary Lou's mates to set their checkpoints back up along the border. They'd cream themselves at the opportunity.

We produce exponentially more food in this country than we consume, we'll be grand for 6 months and then the first flight in can be a few million doses of vaccine.

As for who'll pay? Sure we have 14 billion of Tim Cook's money in escrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Beasty wrote: »
    All it says is there are no confirmed cases in the school in question. The poster was offering what was basically information which is private to the school, and I am sure that school would not appreciate it if we decided to dissect their comments here

It sounds as if the chap was looking for a couple of weeks holidays. Very enterprising of him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

When was Italy’s first case?
    First imported cases were: two Chinese tourists and one Italian man who came back from Wuhan with a military fight and quarantined (he developed symptoms during the quarantine).
    Then there was the first case with no known links to China.
    He was hospitalised and tested after 36 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Apparently this has been going on for years now, didn't invite me even once :(

Beasty wrote: »
    100%. If not even suffering from the virus, you will definitely die, but there remains a big question over when that will happen......

You know what they say.

Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% fatality rate. The only variation is how long it takes for it to kill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,488 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's seasonal like the flu. We won't hear of it again after April.

Can you link to the information which tells us it is seasonal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

So you think that Ireland has taken sufficient precautions to prevent COVID-19? Shire it will be grand won't it? Shure Ireland won't be affected because it shurrounded by water, Paddy? Keep the tills ringing as long as you can, no matter what the cost, right Paddy?

I'm sure it'll arrive here eventually and i bet we deal with it a lot better than other countries. Remember foot and mouth disease? We did remarkably well controlling that.

And I'm not sure what your ramblings about money are about. Do you expect a country with no confirmed cases to shut down over night? Even when the virus arrives people will try to get on with their lives as normally as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,747 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Just thinking how will anyone be confirmed here if everyone if being told to self isolate....

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    It sounds as if the chap was looking for a couple of weeks holidays. Very enterprising of him!

No I think he was worried in fairness.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,448 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

BBC reporting Germany is bracing itself for a big increase in cases after a couple were travelling round the country for 10 days or so undiagnosed

Hope it's not extended to Belgium yet, as we are playing Club Brugge tomorrow...

A: Too high

B: Not high enough

80+ years old
    14.8%
    70-79 years old
    8.0%
    60-69 years old
    3.6%
    50-59 years old
    1.3%
    40-49 years old
    0.4%
    30-39 years old
    0.2%
    20-29 years old
    0.2%
    10-19 years old
    0.2%
    0-9 years old
    no fatalities

Why does the death rate double as you move from 30s to 40s? It then trebles from 40s to 50s, and 50s to 60s, and then doubles in the higher age groups

But I'm most curious why it doubles at that demographic juncture?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭dogbert27

So we are on the verge of a global pandemic and we are without a functioning government because our politicians - FF, FG, SF, and SD - are behaving like a group of prattling children.

We are doing nothing to prevent this. Why aren't all public buildings and institutions immediately introducing hand sanitization and publishing instructions.

We also need a televised addressed from the Taoiseach - who is a doctor - to explain the situation and how we can prevent the spread

This happens in normal countries, but not in Ireland where the sole purpose is to ensure the money machine doesn't stop running.

Hand sanitization is available nearly everywhere since the Swine Flu outbreak in 2009 which killed over 18,000 people worldwide with 62-81% being under 65 years of age.

The nearly 3000 deaths so far from the coronavirus have been elderly or with underlying conditions.

Yes Italy were checking temperatures of people arriving. I was there. I also went to Denmark, Sweden and Finland who didn't check. Ireland didn't check. Germany weren't checking.

The one country that were checking people was the first country to be heavily affected so what good were the checking of temperatures? Once you got past these checks of temperature you went to an escalator that had signs telling you hold the hand rail. Hand rails, door handles, etc. in an airport is where you are more likely to pick up a virus.

Everyone should be able to take personal responsibility for their own personal hygiene of covering your mouth when you cough, nose when you sneeze and wash your hands all the time.

If they are a lucky son of a gun - any year but this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Everyone should be able to take personal responsibility for their own personal hygiene of covering your mouth when you cough, nose when you sneeze and wash your hands all the time.

They say don't cough/sneeze into your hands, do it into your elbow.. but yes, it's down to personal responsibility

Why does the death rate double as you move from 30s to 40s? It then trebles from 40s to 50s, and 50s to 60s, and then doubles in the higher age groups

The demographic is a generalisation of ten year age groups. The jump will be more gradual in reality from year to year.

Age is not the only factor; it's also that as age increases, the associated likelihood of having other comorbidities also increases. i.e. Heart Disease, Hypertension, Smoking (all that crap accumulates over time), etc.

I'm sure it'll arrive here eventually and i bet we deal with it a lot better than other countries. Remember foot and mouth disease? We did remarkably well controlling that.

And I'm not sure what your ramblings about money are about. Do you expect a country with no confirmed cases to shut down over night? Even when the virus arrives people will try to get on with their lives as normally as possible.

There is no talk of shutting down. But why doesn't the government do something very practical like insist that hand sanitizers are introduced to every public building, give them away free at train and bus stations, etc. etc. My whole point is that our politicians need to attack this problem proactively rather than wait for it to happen

As other posters have said, it is likely the virus is here already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Because as the demographic gets older the underlying conditions increase.

Elderly and people with diabetes and cancer have died.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

fritzelly wrote: »
    Checked flightradar

How far back? 20 minutes?

Hand sanitization is available nearly everywhere since the Swine Flu outbreak in 2009 which killed over 18,000 people worldwide with 62-81% being under 65 years of age.

I can confirm that in my local Tesco tonight there is a very large empty shelf where all the hand sanitiser used to be. Even some of the regular soaps were running noticeably low.
    The nearly 3000 deaths so far from the coronavirus have been elderly or with underlying conditions.

Mostly, maybe. But tell that to Dr. Li, who was a fit and healthy 34 year old who very possibly died from a cytokine storm (total speculation on my part here, but I'd like to consider it educated, I've been addicted to this topic for the last six weeks).

He could also have been a smoker, we don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

So we are on the verge of a global pandemic and we are without a functioning government because our politicians - FF, FG, SF, and SD - are behaving like a group of prattling children.

We are doing nothing to prevent this. Why aren't all public buildings and institutions immediately introducing hand sanitization and publishing instructions.

We also need a televised addressed from the Taoiseach - who is a doctor - to explain the situation and how we can prevent the spread

This happens in normal countries, but not in Ireland where the sole purpose is to ensure the money machine doesn't stop running.

Government formation should suspend for 6 months and they should work on a cross party basis for preventative measures.

The health system is ****ed and far from capable of dealing with it because of successive FF and FG Governments. Let them fall further on their swords.

• Advertisement

Yes Italy were checking temperatures of people arriving. I was there. I also went to Denmark, Sweden and Finland who didn't check. Ireland didn't check. Germany weren't checking.

The one country that were checking people was the first country to be heavily affected so what good were the checking of temperatures? Once you got past these checks of temperature you went to an escalator that had signs telling you hold the hand rail. Hand rails, door handles, etc. in an airport is where you are more likely to pick up a virus.

I've seen hand sanitizers in hospitals, but nowhere else. Introducing them makes sense, will reduce spread of infection, and is a no-brainer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement