Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Andrew00 wrote: »
    His colleagues tested positive but HSE said to him you'll be grand

You'd laugh if it wasn't so serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Dpg21 wrote: »
    Yes I left it but for worries over my health, I wouldn’t have left if the virus never happened. I was due to join the westerdam in Asia. If you have been following this story for a while you would have seen it getting refused from a lot of countries over a chance of people having the virus on the ship, Cambodia eventually let them in but it turns out corona virus was on board, the ship is still in Cambodia and the cruises cancelled, if I hadn’t given in my notice before all that happened I suspect I would have been getting a email or call to say I wouldn’t be joining the ship anyways

You made the right call. Honestly, cruise ship industry will not recover. For a long time. I would be looking for an alternative employment opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I have friends in Italy on whatsapp, they are sending jokes don't seem too terrorized. Some are now working from home but they all went out in the evening anyway. They are not inside the lock down areas but close enough to be worried

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

givyjoe wrote: »
    Chap in Korea recently but HSE won't test him. Missed the start of it, did he say his colleagues were already tested positive?

They probably can't test him, I wouldn't be surprised if we actually have no test kits here for this.

Of course a comprehensive and honest communication from HSE might prove that wrong but there's been nothing solid forthcoming, probably a memo sent around internally and that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

I think its overwhelmingly unlikely that the flu anyone had here recently is related to covid but it's easy enough to create a narrative that shows it to be possible, albeit extremely improbable:

It started in Wuhan in November. A lot of people around Xmas and after were talking about the flu they had being the worst flu theyve ever had and there were reports mentioning it not being covered by the vaccine - which would make sense if it's a different virus.

According to HSE flu reports, one of the highest prevalence flu strains we had over winter was an A H3N2 type, and that is associated with higher disease severity, hospitalisation and mortality.

I had it in early December, and whilst sitting at home nursing a fever and a grudge against whoever gave it to me, I actually read the weekly HSE & UK flu reports to see what I'd got. Because that's the kind of person I am, I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,317 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Time to close all routes in from Italy - they are trying to infect the whole of Europe

Edit to add

/s

Some people read everything too seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

weser777 wrote: »
    Due to fly to Venice in just over two weeks...what do ya’s reckon the chances of this happening will be?

Can't see Northern Italy not being locked down in two weeks time. They aren't going to shift policy after committing to this and they aren't going to have enough of a slowdown given the starting numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

ZX7R wrote: »
    Is he on the show

He was on Skype.

He tried to ring the HSE on their number yesterday but it wasn't working.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

fritzelly wrote: »
    Time to close all routes in from Italy - they are trying to infect the whole of Europe

This is sensationalism. You make it sound like it's some sort of alternative organised Italian Job on Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Who exactly ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

The HSE haven't a clue how to deal with Coronavirus or how to tell the symptoms or how to test. "ah sure you'll be grand" is the mentality

Politicians need to stop there bickering, put government formation to the side and work together on a cross party basis pronto until the threat is gone.

Leo stop sulking on all media platforms for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    This is sensationalism. You make it sound like it's some sort of alternative organised Italian Job on Europe.

I think it’s a piss take

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Who exactly ?

Exactly WHO?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Like I said - they don't want to test anyone
    By testing no one they can claim it's not in Ireland.

They probably can't test him, I wouldn't be surprised if we actually have no test kits here for this.

Of course a comprehensive and honest communication from HSE might prove that wrong but there's been nothing solid forthcoming, probably a memo sent around internally and that's about it.

You really think that's possible, no test kits. But what about all the ones they've tested negative thus far?? I know the HSE is a joke organization but surely they wouldn't outright lie about something this serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I'd say the HSE would rather people stay at home and die with the absolute state of the health system.

They know with hospitals already overcrowded and under resourced its a catastrophe in waiting.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I'd say the HSE would rather people stay at home and die with the absolute state of the health system.

They know with hospitals already overcrowded and under resourced its a catastrophe in waiting.

Sure they would...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Could the sickness going around in Dec have been the Virus?

I had it & could not stop coughing & was the worst I felt in along time

MD1990 wrote: »

Could well be. So this could be all your fault!

You know what I laughed when I read that earlier in your post now I'm beginning to wonder.

• Advertisement

BanditLuke wrote: »
    You really think that's possible, no test kits. But what about all the ones they've tested negative thus far?? I know the HSE is a joke organization but surely they wouldn't outright lie about something this serious.

Italy ran out of test kits in certain areas in the past day - it's not that unbelievable
    On top of that it's only about 40% reliable so every person you test needs multiple tests done if they show negative and you have a high degree of certainty they probably are positive

No

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

That sickness was absolutely terrible. Felt like I was going to die as the NYE countdown went on.

No

Why not?

Why not?

Explained earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭josip

Can't see Northern Italy not being locked down in two weeks time. They aren't going to shift policy after committing to this and they aren't going to have enough of a slowdown given the starting numbers.

Would be one of the easier regions to close off from a logistical perspective given the relative paucity of entry points to it for its size.
    But a logistical nightmare if it happened, both for the amount of stuff that's produced there and trucked/railed/shipped out, and for the stuff that's transported through either north south or east west.
    Very hard to avoid that region when traveling across southern Europe.

Why not?

If you believe the China timeline then there wouldn't have been enough time elapsed for that to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Ok, time for some perspective. Taking away very elderly, people on their death beds and people who were very sick already with serious pre-existing conditions then the danger of this disease is proving to not be insanely dramatic at all.

Taking into account 800/900 people died in France last June due to heatwaves, mostly of the same category as above , but we didn’t panic because we understood exactly what happened and why.

The damage psychologically that this is doing is what’s giving it it’s most potency. The adult generation now come from a generation who have access to news, media, have seen lots of doomsday movies but are also a lot more knowledgable about disease spread.

So I am not suggesting we change our actions and stop taking it seriously, but I am suggesting we stop panicking and being too dramatic about this.

Explained earlier.

Couldn’t be bothered reading back. You have absolutely no idea what the poster was suffering with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

His colleagues tested positive but HSE said to him you'll be grand

Fantastic. It's a good job this thing isn't contagious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement