Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    They are only testing people who were in contact with a confirmed case or was traveling from China, that's not much

I hate to say but they are not testing people here just because they have been to China recently.

I know of at least two people who went back to work this week after being in China and Singapore and neither was tested or checked for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

fritzelly wrote: »
    Hello Patient Zero

if i got infected, patient 0 is my friend who passed it to me the focker who invited us at his house and was sneezing and coughing all evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I hate to say but they are not testing people here just because they have been to China recently.

I know of at least two people who went back to work this week after being in China and Singapore and neither was tested or checked for anything.

you are right, I forgot about that, they are not EVEN testing the ones required to be tested and quarantined

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    No 25 is hot. Put it this way how often does it get past 25 in Ireland.

25 is not hot, objectively speaking. And definitely not if you live somewhere where summer temps are 40+. That's barely even shorts weather tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

On Friday, epidemiologists from the Imperial College London in the UK also released their latest report on the outbreak. They concluded the strict travel restrictions and quarantines implemented in China, which haven’t come without controversy, likely did slow down the outbreak globally. But the situation still looks dire. They estimated that two-thirds of all travel-related cases outside the country have gone unnoticed, “potentially resulting in multiple chains of as yet undetected human-to-human transmission outside mainland China.

https://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2020/02/things-are-not-looking-good-for-stopping-the-coronavirus/

In other news the last passenger has left the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan, where more than 3,000 people had been quarantined. Staff and health officials remain on board

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Ireland has about 2 days left before it spreads here. Will FG take the tough decisions needed to prevent that happening? Will they fook! Too in bed with big business interests.

I am curious, why a two day timeframe/window before its arrival here. Without getting into a political debate how would the arrival of a virus you cannot see be something a political party would be accountable for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

you are right, I forgot about that, they are not EVEN testing the ones required to be tested and quarantined

You can be pretty sure it's here already, just hasnt been diagnosed yet.

Not enough was done to contain it, its spread far and wide now.

Of course the virus had a good head start in the couple of months where nobody knew anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

Anyway, looking at the countries in full swing, they seem to manage in terms of food supplies. The stock piling thing looks more like an initial reaction that settles once people realized that shops are still being replenished

Yes you are right but I think people are stock piling now rather than having to face huge queues at the shops if this thing hits hard. I bought in perishable foods such as rice porridge flour, tinned stuff not to much just enough rice last a few weeks, and of course the
    paracetamol.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Yep and possibly smoking could be a risk factor too.

One third of the Chinese population smoke,they account for 40% of the world tabaco usage.
    Smoker's more likely to be in the moderate level more likely to get pneumonia.
    Even then sadly even in China thoes that died had other underlying health issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Musefan wrote: »
    Did a big shop for my family & parents- flour, yeast, butter, cheese etc and loads of long life stuff that we can get by on like noodles, pasta, beans, toasting muffins, nuts, chocolate, rice etc. The freezer has about 1.5 weeks of food in it as I’m an avid batch cooker. Got a few funny looks with my trolley this afternoon but sure look, it will all get used.

The minute it is detected here there will be widespread panic. And it will be eventually here so I think you should be the one giving the funny looks to all the doubters.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

fr336 wrote: »
    Ok thank you Imperial, thank you very much!

Que?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

ZX7R wrote: »
    One third of the Chinese population smoke,they account for 40% of the world tabaco usage.
    Smoker's more likely to be in the moderate level more likely to get pneumonia.
    Even then sadly even in China thoes that died had other underlying health issues

Would the terrible quality of air in the cities also have contributed?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You can be pretty sure it's here already, just hasnt been diagnosed yet.

Spoke to someone working in a hospital here and they were surprised with the amount of not old people on trolleys with the flu last week. Tbh they only copped on to sepis in the last few years so could take a while for the penny to drop.

Don't want to sound like stating the obvious here but we should put the apparent surges in cases into context. When you go looking for cases and testing people, hey presto you start getting cases and deaths being treated as coronavirus. When this could have been infecting and killing people all the way since December even in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's one Theroy that's been floating about https://www.windy.com/-NO2-no2?cams,no2,20.056,34.980,3

It would have to have been a factor.
    Just to note just because a person smoke's it only increases you're chance of been in the moderate range,does not mean you will develop pneumonia.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

if i got infected, patient 0 is my friend who passed it to me the focker who invited us at his house and was sneezing and coughing all evening!

Was it his house that had the bad flue?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Don't want to sound like stating the obvious here but we should put the apparent surges in cases into context. When you go looking for cases and testing people, hey presto you start getting cases and deaths being treated as coronavirus. When this could have been infecting and killing people all the way since December even in Europe.

Doubtful? Testing for the usual suspects would have come back as negative.

• Advertisement

tillyfilly wrote: »
    The world is approaching a tipping point with this virus

Time to get Ben Shepherd in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

It started in Wuhan. The cold/flu everyone had at Xmas wasn't Covid19.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Time to get Ben Shepherd in

Think I'd prefer the virus.

Very true , even the original outbreak only started to get attention when people started to die.
    Before that the increase in cases of pneumonia were considered a bad flu outbreak

Nah don't buy that to be honest.

Not the person you were replying to but why don't you believe it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Earlier on Italian State TV, the WHO rep stated that European Countries differ in how they select people for testing :
    -in France the swab tests are carried out only on people with symptoms
    -while in Italy - until now - the swab tests were carried out widely on people in the (now quarantined) areas, regardless of them having symptoms or not.

As tomorrow a WHO delegation is doing a site inspection in Italy, what I expect to happen is:
    - swab tests done only on people with symptoms going forward
    - statistics split in: infected with symptoms and infected without symptoms

Video:
    https://twitter.com/agorarai/status/1232049332335075328

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

The latest info on the HSE website is still only talking about China. No mention of South Korea, Italy or Iran.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

We did our canned and dried food /toilet roll/ freezer stock up shop today. Better safe than sorry! I was at the petrol station after work, everyone was using the supplied disposable gloves to fill their tanks.

Everyone seemed to be sniffly and coughing on the train this morning, but I think I'm more aware of it recently.

Due to travel to Paris for six Nations with husband, I've a feeling it won't happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

skimpydoo wrote: »
    The latest info on the HSE website is still only talking about China. No mention of South Korea, Italy or Iran.

I had to double check it was Monday. What are they at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

It started in Wuhan. The cold/flu everyone had at Xmas wasn't Covid19.

I think its overwhelmingly unlikely that the flu anyone had here recently is related to covid but it's easy enough to create a narrative that shows it to be possible, albeit extremely improbable:

It started in Wuhan in November. A lot of people around Xmas and after were talking about the flu they had being the worst flu theyve ever had and there were reports mentioning it not being covered by the vaccine - which would make sense if it's a different virus.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement