Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

wylo wrote: »
    Ok, time for some perspective. Taking away very elderly, people on their death beds and people who were very sick already with serious pre-existing conditions then the danger of this disease is proving to not insanely dramatic at all.

Taking into account 800/900 people died in France last June due to heatwaves, mostly of the same category as above , but we didn’t panic because we understood exactly what happened and why.

The damage psychologically that this is doing is what’s giving it it’s most potency. The adult generation now come from a generation who have access to news, media, have seen lots of doomsday movies but are also a lot more knowledgable about disease spread.

So I am not suggesting we change our actions and stop taking it seriously, but I am suggesting we stop panicking and being too dramatic about this.

Tell that to the governments locking people in their homes from China to Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

I'm beginning to feel like the HSE want to bury their heads in the sand on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

fritzelly wrote: »
    If you believe the China timeline then there wouldn't have been enough time elapsed for that to happen

We don’t know enough to say whether or which. But people on here have their agendas so leave them off.

• Site Banned Posts: 23 Mr Flicky

The Slovakian prime minister has now contracted it and it’s been covered up as pneumonia

Couldn’t be bothered reading back. You have absolutely no idea what the poster was suffering with.

If you can't be bothered then don't bother asking then.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

This has the Chinese written all over this.

They created this, and will rise again out of the ashes, it’s exactly the publicity it needed for its economy, when a lot of the world are becoming less dependent on production from China.

Call me a conspiracist, but they are the most ruthless of the ruthless out there. Their pockets and beliefs go above human life every single time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

I envisage the hammer coming down on china this time. One way or another. Long overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,317 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

So I am not suggesting we change our actions and stop taking it seriously, but I am suggesting we stop panicking and being too dramatic about this.

Few points - this is affecting the elderly badly, add in underlying conditions and you are ripe to die from it - still thousands in serious or critical condition. Not to mention ongoing issues resulting from having had the virus

Secondly no one knows if this going to mutate to a worse strain - if you believe the Iran figures then half the worlds population could be dead this time next year.

Too many unknown with a new virus to take anything too lightly and say but the flu...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

darjeeling wrote: »
    According to HSE flu reports, one of the highest prevalence flu strains we had over winter was an A H3N2 type, and that is associated with higher disease severity, hospitalisation and mortality.

I had it in early December, and whilst sitting at home nursing a fever and a grudge against whoever gave it to me, I actually read the weekly HSE & UK flu reports to see what I'd got. Because that's the kind of person I am, I know.

To be clear, I don't think what I was suggesting is actually what happened or anything, just pointing out how easy it is to line up a few facts to build a narrative without looking deeper.

Few points - this is affecting the elderly badly, add in underlying conditions and you are ripe to die from it - still thousands in serious or critical condition. Not to mention ongoing issues resulting from having had the virus

Secondly no one knows if this going to mutate to a worse strain - if you believe the Iran figures then half the worlds population could be dead this time next year.

Too many unknown with a new virus to take anything too lightly and say but the flu...

What’s coming out of Iran? A lot worse than what’s reported?

• Advertisement

Ok, time for some perspective. Taking away very elderly, people on their death beds and people who were very sick already with serious pre-existing conditions then the danger of this disease is proving to not be insanely dramatic at all.

Taking into account 800/900 people died in France last June due to heatwaves, mostly of the same category as above , but we didn’t panic because we understood exactly what happened and why.

The damage psychologically that this is doing is what’s giving it it’s most potency. The adult generation now come from a generation who have access to news, media, have seen lots of doomsday movies but are also a lot more knowledgable about disease spread.

Nobody is panicking. Its a discussion forum. Making preparations isn't panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

josip wrote: »
    Would be one of the easier regions to close off from a logistical perspective given the relative paucity of entry points to it for its size.
    But a logistical nightmare if it happened, both for the amount of stuff that's produced there and trucked/railed/shipped out, and for the stuff that's transported through either north south or east west.
    Very hard to avoid that region when traveling across southern Europe.

Aye we've had China down for nearly a month too, this is what is going to hit us hard after the first wave of thinking about the virus itself. Even if it is mild, this kind of economic event is unprecedented, any history/economics buffs got a comparison in terms of short sharp shock?

Just have to hope it is revealed to be mild as quickly as possible now that its outside of China.

CBear1993 wrote: »

They created this, and will rise again out of the ashes, it’s exactly the publicity it needed for its economy, when a lot of the world are becoming less dependent on production from China.

Call me a conspiracist, but they are the most ruthless of the ruthless out there. Their pockets and beliefs go above human life every single time.

Conspiracist.

What’s coming out of Iran? A lot worse than what’s reported?

61 confirmed - 14 dead - official figures - 23% CFR
    And rumours lot more dead and people dying shortly after showing symptoms - but you can blame Dr Campbell for that rumour (the guy that deals in facts)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

BanditLuke wrote: »

Panicking is wearing a sandwich board saying the end is nigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Panicking is wearing a sandwich board saying the end is nigh.

Ah...now I want a sandwich...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

“Secondly no one knows if this going to mutate to a worse strain - if you believe the Iran figures then half the worlds population could be dead this time next year.”

Not saying that’s panic in and of itself but it certainly would induce it!

Yes, the Chinese purposefully created this and damaged their economy in order to er... strengthen their economy? I'm not sure I follow.

61 confirmed - 14 dead - official figures - 23% CFR
    And rumours lot more dead and people dying shortly after showing symptoms - but you can blame Dr Campbell for that rumour (the guy that deals in facts)

I actually believe the final figure in Wuhan will be closer to 20% dead than 2%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

COVID-19 or SARS-CoV-2, are both relevant names for this virus?

• Advertisement

I actually believe the final figure in Wuhan will be closer to 20% dead than 2%

Even at the current 4% it's still pretty much devastating

tillyfilly wrote: »

Covid 19 is the disease, SARS-CoV-2 is the virus itself.

If it helps, SARS-CoV-2 is the shark, Covid-19 is you being eaten by the shark.

tillyfilly wrote: »

Both or Disease X

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

markodaly wrote: »

It's a drill / warning to citizens.

That looks very staged - and what's with the butterfly trap?

Christ that is absolutely mental. What a video. Like something out of a disaster movie

Both or Disease X

If this is disease X, where are diseases I to IX?

• Advertisement

If this is disease X, where are diseases I to IX?

Ask Microsoft what happened to Windows 9

It's meant to signify an unknown serious risk to human health

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement