Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

If I set up a go fund me page will posters on this thread make donations for my trip to Antarctica ???

• Registered Users Posts: 18,038 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Runaways wrote: »
    Do we get many participating bands or troupes in the parade from europe?? I know there’s loads of America ln high school bands etc

The parade ironically could be that influx of high numbers of infections

We do indeed but they tend to be very limited in numbers. Sometimes you'll see a marching band from Germany or France among all the US ones.

One thing that works in the parade's favour is that the route is over 2.5 km long. It could be argued that that is not a particularly hazardous situation in terms of crowding and health.....it's not the same as 80,000 people being packed into a single stadium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I’m terrified too trying just to keep it optimistic. But I am baffled by their response. I kinda get and understand ‘self isolate and stay there’ is actually a great policy in theory to stop spreading.
    But it not fvckin helping me right now or the last few days. My family are all aware and checking up but
    If this gets worse an I get really sick I’d absolutely be having words with them later legally.

**if you have private health insurance what the story I wonder?? Can you get checked on your insurance and private clinic or whatever?

I am not joking serious post here.

We have no confirmed cases in Ireland that is why the HSE will not get back to you.

They can not keep that number at zero if they test a person who is sick with the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Stheno wrote: »
    Off the top of my head , other European countries who have not reported a case

Sweden
    Malta
    Romania
    Croatia
    Serbia
    Portugal
    Finland

Maybe I'm out of date

Sweden have cases (12).
    Romania (3)
    Croatia (6)
    Finland (3)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Does make you wonder.

Our current Taoiseach is a GP
    And a complete cute hoor for a photo op / career opportunity

You’d * think* he’d be making an address to the nation explaining our situation and preparations in order to score some points both with the public and his party. Especially as this time when it’s chaos in no govt formation.

That he hasn’t, is rather telling.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

We have no confirmed cases in Ireland that is why the HSE will not get back to you.

They can not keep that number at zero if they test a person who is sick with the thing.

This is you and ur buddy lukes big chance to shiny you could be the first to confirm a case online on boards.ie! this is exciting stuff! :D:D make sure you tell em you have 1600 post s aswell so they know you are legit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Stheno wrote: »
    Off the top of my head , other European countries who have not reported a case

Sweden
    Malta
    Romania
    Croatia
    Serbia
    Portugal
    Finland

Maybe I'm out of date

Sweden has 12 cases, 1death
    Croatia 6 cases, 1 death
    Romania 3 cases
    Finland 3 cases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I’m terrified too trying just to keep it optimistic. But I am baffled by their response. I kinda get and understand ‘self isolate and stay there’ is actually a great policy in theory to stop spreading.
    But it not fvckin helping me right now or the last few days. My family are all aware and checking up but
    If this gets worse an I get really sick I’d absolutely be having words with them later legally.

**if you have private health insurance what the story I wonder?? Can you get checked on your insurance and private clinic or whatever?

Thanks for your reply earlier. Do you have anyone close by helping you. I hope you're not alone. I hope you have loads of supplies and medicine like nurofen. Drink plenty of fluids and water and I hope you feel better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Trump press conference - to paraphrase
    "Stopping all flights from China stopped the crisis in America"
    He needs to have a chat with Italy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Somebody is about to suffer a severe CLAMPdown from the mods...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

shouldn't that sentence be the other way around..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Does make you wonder.

Our current Taoiseach is a GP
    And a complete cute hope for a photo op / career opportunity

You’d * think* he’d be making an address to the nation explaining our situation and preparations in order to score some points both with the public and his party. Especially as this time when it’s chaos in no govt formation.

That he hasn’t, is rather telling.

I think he is afraid it will come back to bite FG and their management of the health system further.

A lot of the budget that should be allocated to fight this has probably been utilised on the National Children's Hospital overspend.

They are just out of a disasterous election. He is definitely in hiding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Somebody is about to suffer a severe CLAMPdown from the mods...

Yes making a tit of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,088 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

So your telling me you’ve come from a virus hot spot, your showing symptoms, you’ve contacted H.S.E hotline, and they’re telling you to self isolate but haven’t taken you to a facility to check you for covid?
    Hmmmm are you serious or taking the piss? Or are the Hse just inept and negligent with regard to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭bb12

cnocbui wrote: »

anyone who lives on a farm especially knows that if you get pricked by any sort of thorn, especially black thorns, they are pretty dangerous and it needs to be dealt with asap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I think he is afraid it will come back to bite FG and their management of the health system further.

A lot of the budget that should be allocated to fight this has probably been utilised on the National Children's Hospital overspend.

They are just out of a disasterous election. He is definitely in hiding.

Good points. But the hospital is going to run crazy over budget we know that.

He could make all kinds of political hay out of this and be seen to actually *do* something getting out in front.

But you’re probably right. They don’t want to put any kind of light on the state of the hospitals or service

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

WE have a separate forum for conspiracy theories - please take this sort of stuff over there

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1233832053004816385

The travel restrictions the US is announcing for Italy and Iran show why it is imperative we remain as unaffected as possible (for the health reasons aswell) - such restrictions on us would be really detrimental.

https://arxiv.org/abs/2002.03268

Above is a link to a new study by a modeling group at Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico. Instead of using data collected in Wuhan, Hubei province, which are unreliable for many reasons, this study relied on data collected outside Hubei province. Data on human movements were gathered from the Baidu Migration server, an online platform that reports mobile-phone travel data, providing a high-resolution picture of travel patterns in China. It showed that 40,000 to 140,000 people in Wuhan traveled every day to destinations outside of Hubei province from Jan. 1 until the city’s lockdown on Jan. 23.

It's the largest estimate of r0 so far, in the range of 4.7 to 6.6...This estimate of r0 is significantly higher than earlier studies suggested. One early estimate, published near the end of January, found a value of around 2.2; another just after found a value of around 2.7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Trump getting hammered by the press about the Hoax statement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Testing in many countries has been way too scanty to give an accurate picture of what’s going on. One day recently, South Korea found more new cases than China on that day because it is testing so many people.

SEOUL, South Korea -- Global health experts say the speed and scope of South Korea’s novel coronavirus diagnostic capability exhibit impressive and significant lab capabilities that no other countries, including the U.S., can match at the moment.

South Korea had tested a total of 66,652 people for the COVID-19 coronavirus virus as of 4 p.m. local time Thursday, whereas Japan had reported administering roughly 1,890 tests and the U.S. only 445. The huge discrepancy compared to other countries reflects how quickly South Korea’s numbers have been rising, experts say.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/massive-coronavirus-testing-program-south-korea-underscores-nimble/story?id=69226222

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

fritzelly wrote: »
    Trump getting hammered by the press about the Hoax statement

As he should be....

Beasty wrote: »
    WE have a separate forum for conspiracy theories - please take this sort of stuff over there

Thanks

Loves a good conspiracy that lad, he was telling me the soccer was cancelled because of CONVID-19 and all that the match i was watching wasnt happening... crazy lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I imagine the have thousands if not tens of thousands of people calling up daily saying they think they are infected( on top of how ever many extra rocking up to A&E with a cold). Theyll be rightly prioritising cases who have been in infected regions or showing certain symptoms id imagine. Im sure if they though you may be a risk you'd be seen/tested. Im guessing hey would not ge able to call everyone.

Youve obviously been deemed low\no risk. Just relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

bb12 wrote: »
    anyone who lives on a farm especially knows that if you get pricked by any sort of thorn, especially black thorns, they are pretty dangerous and it needs to be dealt with asap.

Huge tetanus risk there too.

Friend of mine pricked himself on a plant out gardening and finger swelled up two days later, he went to GP and was promptly sent to hospital where they did tests, he was put on medication and IV antibiotics etc.

He thought GP and hospital were overreacting but apparently not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 27,972 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

tom1ie wrote: »
    So your telling me you’ve come from a virus hot spot, your showing symptoms, you’ve contacted H.S.E hotline, and they’re telling you to self isolate but haven’t taken you to a facility to check you for covid?
    Hmmmm are you serious or taking the piss? Or are the Hse just inept and negligent with regard to this.

Context - Runaways was in Cambodia.

The NHS considers this a high risk area for coronavirus.
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/advice-for-travellers/

It's not on the HSE list of affected areas:
    https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/advice-for-people-returning-from-affected-areas.html

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

tom1ie wrote: »
    What is wrong with you? Can you not just read a book or something and stop trying to wind people up?
    People want info on this thread, not your non informative input thanks.

This is a discussion board, please see sites like for more information.

All information on here is speculative and not actual medical advise please treat it as such.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/coronavirus.html

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, I'm closing this thread for a short while as there are a lot of reports to catch up on and some of the posters in this thread are skating on thin ice

Should be re-opened shortly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement