Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Fillet Rolls ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,194 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

he did. i saw it at the time. very interesting. here it is:

I couldn't stop laughing at that when it was on. It's processed chicken, standard spread, ketchup, a white roll,etc and you had one's suprised it fattening and had sugar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I tried one of those chicken fillet rolls a few years back to see what the hype is about. Absolutely horrific. Managed two bites and had to bin the rest. It was a collection of individual horrors brought together - a tube of bread that they claimed was a baguette, some sort of animal protein covered in breadcrumbs, limp iceberg lettuce, slimey tomatoes, and a sauce that was little more than cheap vegetable oil with salt added.

How anyone would willingly put this filth into their body is beyond me.

Careful. I expressed a similar sentiment and someone came in here posting fantasies about my mother getting raped.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I couldn't stop laughing at that when it was on. It's processed chicken, standard spread, ketchup, a white roll,etc and you had one's suprised it fattening and had sugar.

I think the level of “processing” surprised a lot of people.

Maybe we all paying too much for these things considering they are basically eyelid, joint cartilage and beak “meat”.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

The real question is, is it pronounced

Chicken Fillet ( fill-it)

Or

Chicken Fillet (fill-ay)

Answers on a postcard to the usual address

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I really don’t think the shop owner will bemoan a few extra salad “leaves” to a loyal customer.

The server is under no obligation to provide free “extras”. Blaming a customer for asking is just plain nuts.

Any, substantial, “extras” should be added to the price accordingly.

The server is also free to consider a customer gluttonous. The server can give them the extra stuff whilst still holding that opinion. It won’t upset any deli assistant, they’ll likely just laugh about it. To themselves or maybe to others. People notice things about regulars and will often comment upon them. And if the thought of that bothers some of yiz, I don’t really know what to tell you. And you’d be surprised what owners bemoan.

• Advertisement

The server is also free to consider a customer gluttonous. The server can give them the extra stuff whilst still holding that opinion. It won’t upset any deli assistant, they’ll likely just laugh about it. To themselves or maybe to others. People notice things about regulars and will often comment upon them. And if the thought of that bothers some of yiz, I don’t really know what to tell you. And you’d be surprised what owners bemoan.

Do you comment on any “overweight” customers too? When they order loads of junk but then go for a “diet” drink?

Or maybe someone with a facial “deformity”?

The tide is turning…

I think the level of “processing” surprised a lot of people.

Maybe we all paying too much for these things considering they are basically eyelid, joint cartilage and beak “meat”.

Personally I find these people are just idiots.
    For example everytime they do an exposure on fizzy drinks and the amount of sugar/caffeine in them. It's the same ones who are shocked.
    They then tag there friends in it and say you should stop your son from drinking these.

Personally I find these people are just idiots.
    For example everytime they do an exposure on fizzy drinks and the amount of sugar/caffeine in them. It's the same ones who are shocked.
    They then tag there friends in it and say you should stop your son from drinking these.

A few tablespoons of sugar is a lot more “palatable” than bits of gristle and “connective” tissue that’s sprayed off a chicken carcass and then blended up and shaped into a fillet.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Andrew00 wrote: »
    The Irish are obsessed with the "deli". No where else in the world have they got this.

Ask any English person and theyll say wtf is a deli

Bad example there. A deli counter would be a luxury compared to the pre-prepared rubbish you get in a service station/convenience shop over here. Also they salivate over the likes of Greggs so. . .

Not in a place with fixed prices. If every item adds on an increment then yeah. Or if, say, two salads are included in the price but the person asked for a lot of each. Then there’s no benefit to the business at all.

The reason I don’t get the whole rules around two salads is that if you put more you have to put less of each so what’s the difference really. I’d find a sandwich/roll with meat and two salads too bland as would most people (bar picky eaters). Like a breakfast roll is about 6 different items for comparison.

• Advertisement

A few tablespoons of sugar is a lot more “palatable” than bits of gristle and “connective” tissue that’s sprayed off a chicken carcass and then blended up and shaped into a fillet.

They've been ranting on about MRM now with years! Long before Philip did his exposure on it.
    Shouldn't it be the in thing now with people wanting zero waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Are they advertised as chicken fillet rolls or fillet shaped chicken, rolls?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The reason I don’t get the whole rules around two salads is that if you put more you have to put less of each so what’s the difference really. I’d find a sandwich/roll with meat and two salads too bland as would most people (bar picky eaters). Like a breakfast roll is about 6 different items for comparison.

Never heard of a blt? Or a club sandwich? I've got no issue with people having multiple veggies, but sometimes the lettuce and tomato is all you need. Tbh your usual order just sounds like a ridiculous mash of flavours that don't mix.

They've been ranting on about MRM now with years! Long before Philip did his exposure on it.
    Shouldn't it be the on thing now with people wanting zero waste.

Yeah, and most of us thought that was all to do with nuggets in McDonalds. The chicken fillet roll has became a bloody “staple” now.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

I get the roll with honky dorys in it and curry sauce all over for 3.50

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Funny, it was these the chicken fillets ( imported from Thailand) that turned me vegetarian. Read through this thread for old times sake. Supervalu did best chicken fillet rolls and wraps! The sauces made it though.Dont know if they still do?

I always felt the Subway meat was well below par and even more processed. Square bits of rubber chicken.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Never heard of a blt? Or a club sandwich? I've got no issue with people having multiple veggies, but sometimes the lettuce and tomato is all you need. Tbh your usual order just sounds like a ridiculous mash of flavours that don't mix.

It’s not an unusual mix at all, there are standard sandwiches in some places with most of the ingredients.

As for a club sandwich that had two meats also remember and many have onion and when I ask for one I always ask for coleslaw. No matter what sandwich I get it has to have coleslaw (bar subway where it’s not an option).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭H.20v3

It’s not an unusual mix at all, there are standard sandwiches in some places with most of the ingredients.

As for a club sandwich that had two meats also remember and many have onion and when I ask for one I always ask for coleslaw. No matter what sandwich I get it has to have coleslaw (bar subway where it’s not an option).

You're banging on about your extras in chicken rolls all-day

anewme wrote: »

I always felt the Subway most was well below par and even more processed. Square bits of rubber chicken.

Well I know that most if not all of Subways meat is reconstituted. They got in trouble in Austrailla for calling their chicken, chicken fillets.
    I would have thought the EU would clamp down on this here but I guess not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

tuxy wrote: »
    Well I know that most if not all of Subways meat is reconstituted. They got in trouble in Austrailla for calling their chicken, chicken fillets.
    I would have thought the EU would clamp down on this here but I guess not.

There was some scare a few years back over the square chicken anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

What's this waffle about deli workers thinking people are "greedy"?

I don't go to Subway very often but when I do I get all the salads as they don't cost extra. Might only be a 6 inch.

In terms of greed, I'm fairly lean and exercise a lot so I know my maintenance calories, greed doesn't come into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭mags1962

Unfortunately a lot of these so called Deli's are located in retail outlets that really rely on the € Sales of the CF Rolls and are willing to put up with some greedy gits just for the sake of the €3 or €4 sale and also in the hope that they will pick up a high margin drink as well.
    As for the Origin of the Chicken well that's the people who regulate the industry. You can Import Ton's of Chicken Fillets into Ireland from Thailand via Holland and pack them in smaller pack or "add Value" to them and call them Irish if it's done in an Irish Processing Plant.
    There is only 1 set of Retail outlets that I know of that still uses a Fresh Irish Chicken Fillet and believe me it's an endangered species and all because of the race to the bottom to get the cheapest cost.
    It's the old Superquinn shops by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭H.20v3

Amazing they can't get processed Irish chicken

I was staggered to hear from a worker that a chicken processing plant he works in here was slaughtering 100,000 chickens per day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Never got the obsession with chicken fillet rolls, have tried them a few times but they are just simply horrible. No wonder so many people are suffering from depression if they consider this to be “food”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Never got the obsession with chicken fillet rolls, have tried them a few times but they are just simply horrible. No wonder so many people are suffering from depression if they consider this to be “food”.

Dunno what sort of chicken rolls you be eating :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭BurnUp78

You can buy the blenders garlic mayo/taco sauce online and just make your own rolls/wraps. Pack of 4 fillets in Tesco and a head of lettuce and you be saving about a 10er a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭hynesie08

mags1962 wrote: »
    Unfortunately a lot of these so called Deli's are located in retail outlets that really rely on the € Sales of the CF Rolls and are willing to put up with some greedy gits just for the sake of the €3 or €4 sale and also in the hope that they will pick up a high margin drink as well.
    As for the Origin of the Chicken well that's the people who regulate the industry. You can Import Ton's of Chicken Fillets into Ireland from Thailand via Holland and pack them in smaller pack or "add Value" to them and call them Irish if it's done in an Irish Processing Plant.
    There is only 1 set of Retail outlets that I know of that still uses a Fresh Irish Chicken Fillet and believe me it's an endangered species and all because of the race to the bottom to get the cheapest cost.
    It's the old Superquinn shops by the way.

I'm fairly sure fresh use irish chicken fillets, and most of the independent sandwich shops. But yeah timing super quinn when the fillets were fresh out of the oven for a wrap was bliss.....

bassy wrote: »
    I get the roll with honky dorys in it and curry sauce all over for 3.50

source.gif

Dunno what sort of chicken rolls you be eating :cool:

Probably the same as most people, the ones with the reconstituted chicken breast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

What a load of nonsense as usual.

You wouldn’t last long going for lunch with me and my friends at work, we get hot chicken rolls a few times a week :D

Jesus, I wouldn't want to be sat next to you in work.

Heaving with Guinness from the weekend, topped off with regurgitated chicken, bread, egg, onion, coleslaw at lunchtime.

You're a potential bio-hazard!

Advertisement