Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Fillet Rolls ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

The Irish are obsessed with the "deli". No where else in the world have they got this.

Ask any English person and theyll say wtf is a deli

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

A few yardsticks - amounts being one. Like getting five salads is fine. It depends on how much you ask for of each. It’s visual, I guess.

Or we had one guy who came in and really blatantly took the piss. He got away with it by being the only one that bad so we just let him away with it. It wasn’t worth saying anything for one person. But like for extras, he’d ask for another meat rather than salad. And then the salad-y things, he’d ask for more of everything. And yeah, we probably should have said something but we just served him as politely as anyone else and joked about him with each other. People are thinking that deli workers are upset about gluttons. No, we were just like “Lol, did you see what Greedy McGlutton ordered today”.

I think I'm getting it now.

What if he was laughing at you to his mates about how you work in a deli?

Would you like that?

Andrew00 wrote: »
    The Irish are obsessed with the "deli". No where else in the world have they got this.

But the English are always wrong. That only makes the word more applicable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

hurler32 wrote: »
    Don’t be buying these rolls for myself but the last 2 days I had to get them for the young lad after sports events .
    He’s a very basic eater so wanted a white roll with chicken fillet , nothing else not even butter . It was a large white roll but one cost 4 euro and in a different centra one was 4.20 .
    Seemed like a lot to me for a basic chicken fillet roll , it seems entirely up to who’s serving you what’s keyed in . These delis are obviously where the money’s been made in these shops . Any thoughts ?

You need to do something about that. I know some people in their 20s - 30s who still do not eat vegtables. This weird phase can continue into adudlthood.
    Some of them now suffer from gout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I tried one of those chicken fillet rolls a few years back to see what the hype is about. Absolutely horrific. Managed two bites and had to bin the rest. It was a collection of individual horrors brought together - a tube of bread that they claimed was a baguette, some sort of animal protein covered in breadcrumbs, limp iceberg lettuce, slimey tomatoes, and a sauce that was little more than cheap vegetable oil with salt added.

How anyone would willingly put this filth into their body is beyond me.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    You need to do something about that. I know some people in their 20s - 30s who still do not eat vegtables. This weird phase can continue into adudlthood.
    Some of them now suffer from gout.

Myth.

Myth.

No, gout is real and is caused by uric acid in the blood

No, gout is real and is caused by uric acid in the blood

And not definitely caused by what’s mentioned above.

And not definitely caused by what’s mentioned above.

It's caused by poor diet which is exactly what the OP described their son as having. I know so many people that this was not just a stage in childhood.

People who ask for everything in subway is number one, like I said earlier you don’t try and fit a pint into a glass, also, don’t put your hands on the glass surrounding the hot food ! Otherwise meat and two veg is the norm

A subway roll is well able to comfortably hold all the salads, I do it every week. The salads are there, subway even have ads on tv where people ask for all the salads so I don’t think it’s in anyway unusual. The people from work who go to subway with me would all get either all or almost all the salads. This is the norm for a proper sandwich.

Meat and two veg is a child’s sandwich, you can’t really expect such a lacking sandwich to be the norm?

A few yardsticks - amounts being one. Like getting five salads is fine. It depends on how much you ask for of each. It’s visual, I guess.

Or we had one guy who came in and really blatantly took the piss. He got away with it by being the only one that bad so we just let him away with it. It wasn’t worth saying anything for one person. But like for extras, he’d ask for another meat rather than salad. And then the salad-y things, he’d ask for more of everything. And yeah, we probably should have said something but we just served him as politely as anyone else and joked about him with each other. People are thinking that deli workers are upset about gluttons. No, we were just like “Lol, did you see what Greedy McGlutton ordered today”.

I never specify the amount of each salad the two exceptions being I always ask for extra jalepenos in subway as bar the people that know me they never give enough. Also when a new person starts in subway they are exceptionally stingy with the salads so I might as for more if a few but only to the point of the normal fill I get from experienced staff.

Yeah and they are missing out big time. Impossible to get a decent sandwich over there as they don’t have deli, even worse impossible to get a breakfast roll after a night on the sauce when over there for the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I think I'm getting it now.

What if he was laughing at you to his mates about how you work in a deli?

Would you like that?

I’ve been pretty clear that this is workers talking amongst themselves. The customer wouldn’t be there obviously. I’m amazed I have to point that out.

A deli worker laughing in the face of a customer would be rude.

A customer laughing in the face of a deli worker would be rude.

Quite what that has to do with what I’ve been talking about, I’m not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

This thread is class

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Moghead

Where I used to work the only business nearby that you could get a cheap lunch in was a centra. I did the dog on chicken rolls, couldn't eat one again. Used to get taco sauce, cheese and tomato slices on mine.

I actually started getting the prepacked salads in centra instead, not too bad, liked the chicken one with grains, lettuce, beetroot and carrot.

Moghead wrote: »
    Where I used to work the only business nearby that you could get a cheap lunch in was a centra. I did the dog on chicken rolls, couldn't eat one again. Used to get taco sauce, cheese and tomato slices on mine.

I actually started getting the prepacked salads in centra instead, not too bad, liked the chicken one with grains, lettuce, beetroot and carrot.

Translation: “I gave up”

Moghead wrote: »

Yes these are ok but the price for a simple oul salad

I blame the tans

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Moghead

They have delis in New York, obviously not the same as the counter in the petrol station but you can get sambos and food to go.

I'd rather a deli to Greggs or Pret.

I never specify the amount of each salad the two exceptions being I always ask for extra jalepenos in subway as bar the people that know me they never give enough. Also when a new person starts in subway they are exceptionally stingy with the salads so I might as for more if a few but only to the point of the normal fill I get from experienced staff.

Then you are likely not one of the gluttonous customers. They tend to distinguish themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Then you are likely not one of the gluttonous customers. They tend to distinguish themselves.

But are these “types” not the ideal customer in any shop or “eating house”?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

If you chicken rolls were priced by weight they would be. But anywhere I buy them there is a flat price.

If you chicken rolls were priced by weight they would be. But anywhere I buy them there is a flat price.

But “extras” cost more. And if the server is willing to throw in a meat or extra egg gratis that’s on them.

Calling a customer “greedy” is way out of line.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

A box of wedges with aromat and 5 sausage rolls

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Ugh a southern fried chicken fillet roll with taco sauce.

Get in me

Or two sausages and four mini jambons

Jambons are horrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

The chicken comes from China, it's bagged up in huge bags and can be got in Musgrave's.

Dirt cheap.

Any links on that..

Nothing worse than when 25 builders all come in at once. And most are pig ignorant as well "give us 4 drumsticks will ya" is one I hear often

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Jambons are horrible

I used to think that and never ate a jambon until a year or so ago, but love them now.

Cheese, ham and pastry, what's not to like!

I tried one of those chicken fillet rolls a few years back to see what the hype is about. Absolutely horrific. Managed two bites and had to bin the rest. It was a collection of individual horrors brought together - a tube of bread that they claimed was a baguette, some sort of animal protein covered in breadcrumbs, limp iceberg lettuce, slimey tomatoes, and a sauce that was little more than cheap vegetable oil with salt added.

How anyone would willingly put this filth into their body is beyond me.

What a load of nonsense as usual.

You wouldn’t last long going for lunch with me and my friends at work, we get hot chicken rolls a few times a week :D

Not in a place with fixed prices. If every item adds on an increment then yeah. Or if, say, two salads are included in the price but the person asked for a lot of each. Then there’s no benefit to the business at all.
    But “extras” cost more. And if the server is willing to throw in a meat or extra egg gratis that’s on them.

Calling a customer “greedy” is way out of line.

Well, it happens. Obviously not to the customer but you’d be naive to think that customers don’t get discussed amongst staff for whatever reason. I don’t see why it’s out of line either, to be honest. And sometimes servers are asked to add more.

Not in a place with fixed prices. If every item adds on an increment then yeah. Or if, say, two salads are included in the price but the person asked for a lot of each. Then there’s no benefit to the business at all.

I really don’t think the shop owner will bemoan a few extra salad “leaves” to a loyal customer.

The server is under no obligation to provide free “extras”. Blaming a customer for asking is just plain nuts.

Any, substantial, “extras” should be added to the price accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Titclamp wrote: »
    Any links on that..

Most of it comes from Thailand.

"Much of the catering industry chicken in Ireland is imported as cooked meat from Thailand"

https://www.irishexaminer.com/farming/finance/chicken-in-catering-sector-90-sourced-from-outside-ireland-208213.html

Advertisement