Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Fillet Rolls ?

Options
  • 23-02-2020 9:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭

Don’t be buying these rolls for myself but the last 2 days I had to get them for the young lad after sports events .
    He’s a very basic eater so wanted a white roll with chicken fillet , nothing else not even butter . It was a large white roll but one cost 4 euro and in a different centra one was 4.20 .
    Seemed like a lot to me for a basic chicken fillet roll , it seems entirely up to who’s serving you what’s keyed in . These delis are obviously where the money’s been made in these shops . Any thoughts ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

If you saw how they put together the “chicken” you might want to keep your money in your pocket and get him an apple.

The tide is turning…

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

No butter, mayo and lettuce is the only way, 4.20 is average with or without extras within reason,A well run deli can have up to 55% profit margin

I get them for lunch a few times a week and always get about 4 or 5 salads along with the hot chicken. Normally costs around 3.95 max I ever have to pay is around 4.50.

Delicious!

5 salads ? I bet you are one of those annoying people at subway that wants everything on top !

5 salads ? I bet you are one of those annoying people at subway that wants everything on top !

Obviously, all the salads in subway and always a second fist of jalapeños too. They know me in the local subway as I’m in every week, don’t even have to ask for what I want anymore they know everything from bread to meat to all salads and extra jalapeños :pac:

Whats wrong with wanting all the salads, never understood people only getting one or two sure it’s not half as nice or half as full. Not even worth getting unless it’s bursting full.

• Advertisement

Stopped going to Subway after they went all “woke”, and liberal, when they banned their sugar drinks.

The tide is turning…

No sauce should be counted as a topping. That said, I don’t care what the cost when I go in for one - they’re the ultimate for me and I’ll enjoy them while I can before the twats get them all watered down.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Go Home Paddy Cat!!

Yep! Here he is caught in the act :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Funny, I paid 5 euro for a wrap with 3 goujons in it, peppers and cheese yesterday. I thought I was the only weirdo who’d want to vent.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The chicken comes from China, it's bagged up in huge bags and can be got in Musgrave's.

Dirt cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

There is a severe lack of mustard on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Dont pay it, lads. They only charge what us fools are willing to pay. Remember 2008/2009, during the crash? I remember paying €2 for a roll in dublin city centre in the centra near stephens green. All because we stopped handing out money hand over fist

#spiritof98

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭wandererz

Yep! Here he is caught in the act :)

WHY NO GLOVES??? !!!
    AAAAARGH!

Obviously, all the salads in subway and always a second fist of jalapeños too. They know me in the local subway as I’m in every week, don’t even have to ask for what I want anymore they know everything from bread to meat to all salads and extra jalapeños :pac:

Whats wrong with wanting all the salads, never understood people only getting one or two sure it’s not half as nice or half as full. Not even worth getting unless it’s bursting full.

You have never worked in a deli or shop I take it, I’d say they hate seeing you walk in the door, it’s as bad as taking out your coins in a big que and count them on the counter instead of being ready and put it into their(cashiers )hand, I also think it’s greedy but that’s just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tony H

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

wandererz wrote: »
    WHY NO GLOVES??? !!!
    AAAAARGH!

Probably only washes himself 3 times a week too the filthy bastard

You have never worked in a deli or shop I take it, I’d say they hate seeing you walk in the door, it’s as bad as taking out your coins in a big que and count them on the counter instead of being ready and put it into their(cashiers )hand, I also think it’s greedy but that’s just me.

What sort of bull are you taking. They are employed to make sandwiches what difference does it make to them putting on a a few extra filling and why would I not ask for what I want on my sandwich when paying for it?

I can’t see how it the same as going in with coins, I quickly say what I want as I know, I’m not standing there pondering what to put on next.

Go in and pay good money for a sandwich that doesn’t meet my needs, what fool does that? How many filling should you be “allowed”?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I think the local Londis had these for 1.79 when the crash hit.

Good times.

Could probably track the economy on the price of them.

What sort of bull are you taking. They are employed to make sandwiches what difference does it make to them putting on a a few extra filling and why would I not ask for what I want on my sandwich when paying for it?

I can’t see how it the same as going in with coins, I quickly say what I want as I know, I’m not standing there pondering what to put on next.

It is trust me ask anyone who works in a deli, it’s greed, try making a roll or sambo with way too much fillings

Mr.S wrote: »
    People who buy chicken fillet rolls are hardly buying them for their healthy nutritional value... :confused:

This may we’ll be true but it shouldn’t be too much to ask that the chicken in the fillet be chicken breast and not shaped from a sludge of “reclaimed” meat.

Boucher-Hayes covered how they make the chicken fillet on his “food” show. It was not pretty

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I never understood the Irish fascination with this sandwich. The chicken they use is of questionable origins too, but then again factory chicken is factory chicken whether Irish or Dutch or Brazilian.

It is trust me ask anyone who works in a deli, it’s greed, try making a roll or sambo with way too much fillings

Stop you are embarrassing yourself now, I’m buying rolls or sandwiches every day for over 20 years and always get loads of fillings and never had anyone complain.

I don’t care anyway, they are paid to make sandwiches and I’m paying for it so I’ll get what I want simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

It's not rocket science.

And to say a paying customer is greedy for ordering a sandwich the way they want it?

Are you saying they shouldnt so the person behind the counter has an easier job?

You must be on a windup

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I never understood the Irish fascination with this sandwich. The chicken they use is of questionable origins too, but then again factory chicken is factory chicken whether Irish or Dutch or Brazilian.

It's Chinese

This may we’ll be true but it shouldn’t be too much to ask that the chicken in the fillet be chicken breast and not shaped from a sludge of “reclaimed” meat.

Boucher-Hayes covered how they make the chicken fillet on his “food” show. It was not pretty

Chicken breast doesn’t taste as nice in it. You should just make your own with chicken breast and leave the rest of us to it.
    I’m buying it for the taste rather than the nutritional value.

It's Chinese

It’s also lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

bizarre claims here

Stop you are embarrassing yourself now, I’m buying rolls or sandwiches every day for over 20 years and always get loads of fillings and never had anyone complain.

I don’t care anyway, they are paid to make sandwiches and I’m paying for it so I’ll get what I want simple as that.

I’m not having a go I’m telling you the truth I managed and worked in delis for years we had nicknames for people like you but hey keep going I’m not going to stop you !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭wandererz

I worked in a chicken factory in the UK once during a "working holiday" period.
    At the time it was via a staffing agency, so you could be placed anywhere at short notice. Some didn't mind it because of the better pay. I did one day & asked to be transferred.

Not a good experience.
    Prefered planting trees in frozen ground to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Didn’t get to watch that show. I presume it’s Thai or Vietnamese chicken?

I did read before that once they’ve removed the breasts, thighs etc from the chicken they are left with the carcass. That’s thrown into a vat filled with boiling water and softening chemicals. The chicken flesh floats to the top of the vat and is skimmed off.

This chicken slurry is then left to dry and has soy added as a bulking agent. Here’s the Wikipedia piece about it:

A reconstituted meat, meat slurry, or emulsified meat is a liquefied meat product that contains fewer fats, pigments and less myoglobin than unprocessed dark meats. Meat slurry is more malleable than dark meats and eases the process of meat distribution as pipelines may be used.

Meat slurry is not designed to sell for general consumption; rather, it is used as a meat supplement in food products for humans, such as chicken nuggets, and food for domestic animals. Poultry is the most common meat slurry;[citation needed] however, beef and pork are also used.

Advertisement