Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

2 cases reported in St Saviours school ballybeg (Alerting parents of outbreaks in schools - Twitter)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Less than 5 cases again (though maybe not for much longer /\)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,872 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So hard to feel anyway confident

Most of level 5 restrictions to stay in place for another 6 weeks. Raising the 5k to 10k is the only bone were getting thrown

No plan, spineless leadership and health officials calling the shots Republic of Ireland what have we become :(:(

Hope everyone is dealing well here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    thats been well known for a very long time now, so i cant see it improving after this, id imagine organizing such a thing in a complex organization is far from easy, large corporations still struggle with such things, some spending multiples of millions trying to

It isn’t that difficult. Every program written these days uses XBRL principles which allows connectivity with other systems. Your local corner shop is uploading their wages systems every week to give Revenue real time information but our Health Service can’t collate the same information centrally? Or digitalize simple database information? Yeah right.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,842 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Deise Vu wrote:
    It isn’t that difficult. Every program written these days uses XBRL principles which allows connectivity with other systems. Your local corner shop is uploading their wages systems every week to give Revenue real time information but our Health Service can’t collate the same information centrally? Or digitalize simple database information? Yeah right.

Corporations have been pouring billions into this for decades, and are still struggling with it, I've experienced packages such as sap, it's really not that simple at all. It does seem like when organisations get to a certain size, data collection, management, processing etc etc, becomes a big problem, errors in outcomes, significantly increase.

For example, I'd imagine front line workers would play a critical role in relaying information and data, but have probably been just overwhelmed to do so effectively, so errors start at the very beginning of the process, and by the end of the process, those errors would simply multiple.

There has been significant complaints about the IT systems in our health care system for years, and I suspect very little has actually changed in this regard. at this stage, it probably needs multiples of millions to begin to rectify this, but I suspect, as soon as covid moves on, we 'll probably default, and change very little , in fact I'm expecting very little to change in our health care system overall after this.

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote:
    Most of level 5 restrictions to stay in place for another 6 weeks. Raising the 5k to 10k is the only bone were getting thrown

PTH2009 wrote:
    No plan, spineless leadership and health officials calling the shots Republic of Ireland what have we become

Is the above not a plan, or a part of a plan? What would you like the government to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 feckwunker

Is the above not a plan, or a part of a plan? What would you like the government to do?

Perhaps we should all follow your example and go travel around the country where we like whenever takes our fancy? The rules don't seem to apply to you so why should they for everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

PTH2009 wrote: »
    So hard to feel anyway confident

No plan, spineless leadership and health officials calling the shots Republic of Ireland what have we become :(:(

Hope everyone is dealing well here

Agree. People seem to be brainwashed that we should be in lockdowns, it’s a complete joke. Don’t care what anybody says NPHET are just looking after their own interest and screw everybody else. It is just absurd to judge the health of a country on just COVID-19 numbers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

The worst thing is that if we actually had health officials calling the shots, we wouldn't be in this never ending lockdown.

feckwunker wrote: »
    Perhaps we should all follow your example and go travel around the country where we like whenever takes our fancy? The rules don't seem to apply to you so why should they for everyone else?

of course the rules apply to me and others, we just chose to ignore them, and accept the potential risks of this, my mental health thanks me as i do, baring in mind, ive probably only gone at most 20/30 k from the city, most times about 15k maybe, and im certainly not alone, met many over the weekend in the same boat. i can go further if you d like to be offended more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 feckwunker

of course the rules apply to me and others, we just chose to ignore them, and accept the potential risks of this, my mental health thanks me as i do, baring in mind, ive probably only gone at most 20/30 k from the city, most times about 15k maybe, and im certainly not alone, met many over the weekend in the same boat. i can go further if you d like to be offended more?

Oh I'm not offended at all. Just practice what you preach. You come across as very 'holier than thou'.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

They'd wanna just admit defeat tonight and bring it back to level 3 or 4.

People just arent adhering to the measures that are being imposed, and can you blame them?

Less than 5 again, national figure under 400

Slide1.jpg
    Slide11.jpg

eeloe wrote: »
    They'd wanna just admit defeat tonight and bring it back to level 3 or 4.

People just arent adhering to the measures that are being imposed, and can you blame them?

asking people to wait another 2 weeks is not a good idea or fair. Either don't say anything till the day before easing or they should have eased them tomorrow.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

PTH2009 wrote: »
    health officials calling the shots Republic of Ireland what have we become :(:(

I know, its just awful.
    Health officials making the decisions in a pandemic, its just crazy!

feckwunker wrote:
    Oh I'm not offended at all. Just practice what you preach. You come across as very 'holier than thou'.

There's nothing special about me, we all have a certain level of personal responsibility of looking after our own well being, and sometimes to do that, you must break some rules in life, and that is okay to. Again I understand why these rules are in place, the government has limited abilities to control this virus, but our governments have a very poor understanding of people's psychological needs under normal circumstances, during this pandemic it has been abysmal, in fact id class it as dangerous. The psychological fallout from this pandemic will be terrifying, and our health system doesn't have the capacity to deal with it, so as always, prevention is better than cure, break the rules if you need to, but you must accept the potential possibilities of doing so

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Flow Motion

It would have been nice to travel somewhere within the county over the Easter weekend would'nt it rather than have to wait till the 12th April? Reading some of the commentary this morning inter county travel wont be on the cards till July. Surely 12+ months into this pandemic the major lesson we have learned is to expect the unexpected. Sure the vaccines are beginning to be put in people arms but the Govt are gambling on 1 million of us receiving them from April onwards. Aside from this surely no one in their right minds will ever place FF-FG in positions of power again after this subsides. There are a lot of angry, depressed and unemployed people in the country right now who will not forget this past year when Councillor A.N. Other comes canvassing next Gen Election. I am not a fortune teller but something tells me Sinn Fein will be in power.

It would have been nice to travel somewhere within the county over the Easter weekend would'nt it rather than have to wait till the 12th April? Reading some of the commentary this morning inter county travel wont be on the cards till July. Surely 12+ months into this pandemic the major lesson we have learned is to expect the unexpected. Sure the vaccines are beginning to be put in people arms but the Govt are gambling on 1 million of us receiving them from April onwards. Aside from this surely no one in their right minds will ever place FF-FG in positions of power again after this subsides. There are a lot of angry, depressed and unemployed people in the country right now who will not forget this past year when Councillor A.N. Other comes canvassing next Gen Election. I am not a fortune teller but something tells me Sinn Fein will be in power.

politics is pushing towards major alternatives anyway, traditional parties such as are largely causing this by defaulting to their norm. there will be plenty of people traveling far over the holidays

very surprised to receive my first vaccine contact today, looks like i ll be jabbed soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Flow Motion

there will be plenty of people traveling far over the holidays

...Which is why nobody would be surprised by a 4th wave of this gig soon! [Despite the vaccines]. I would keep a eye on whats currently happening in Brazil @ the moment and the variants springing out of there (and possibly on a plane to Irish meat factories etc). Its galling to hear all the politicians spout the "light of the end of the tunnel / meaningful Summer BS" when we have heard its like so many times over the past year. Its meant to prop us to "keep going" and "to do a little bit more guys". Forget all the plans/phases/roadmaps and 6pm live newscasts coz those who govern us have failed us. We had our chance to control this thing after the 1st lockdown. Quarantine facilities 12 months too late and even then 3 guys managed to escape on the first day FFS. This is Ireland. These are the conditions we continue to live under from generation to generation. Aah shure faith and begorrah tis a foine green land. With leprechauns leading us on a hunt for that illusive pot of gold thats always on the horizon.

• Advertisement

...Which is why nobody would be surprised by a 4th wave of this gig soon! [Despite the vaccines]. I would keep a eye on whats currently happening in Brazil @ the moment and the variants springing out of there (and possibly on a plane to Irish meat factories etc). Its galling to hear all the politicians spout the "light of the end of the tunnel / meaningful Summer BS" when we have heard its like so many times over the past year. Its meant to prop us to "keep going" and "to do a little bit more guys". Forget all the plans/phases/roadmaps and 6pm live newscasts coz those who govern us have failed us. We had our chance to control this thing after the 1st lockdown. Quarantine facilities 12 months too late and even then 3 guys managed to escape on the first day FFS. This is Ireland. These are the conditions we continue to live under from generation to generation. Aah shure faith and begorrah tis a foine green land. With leprechauns leading us on a hunt for that illusive pot of gold thats always on the horizon.

plenty of good points, but in a union and state that has an extreme sensitivity to border controls, its actually understandable why this approach has failed, hopefully we dont go full retard on this one, post covid.

lockdowns are done, psychologically people are done with it, government wont be able to implement such restrictions any more, they ll try of course, but more will ignore them now, its now vaccine time, and quickly

Less than 5 again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

lockdowns are done, psychologically people are done with it, government wont be able to implement such restrictions any more, they ll try of course, but more will ignore them now, its now vaccine time, and quickly

They can still block inter county travel etc but at current levels of virus that is ridiculous. People haven't seen family, partners etc that they live in different counties to in months. Crime to go see your partner or mother while others where flying to 'dentist appointments' in Tenerife. :rolleyes:

They can still block inter county travel etc but at current levels of virus that is ridiculous. People haven't seen family, partners etc that they live in different counties to in months. Crime to go see your partner or mother while others where flying to 'dentist appointments' in Tenerife. :rolleyes:

no they cant, people are doing this anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭91wx763

Under any other circumstances P.O Neill and co would run into government. But even they are not that foolish given what is ahead of the country.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

no they cant, people are doing this anyway

Yes they are but as long as these restrictions are in place, then there is always a possibility of a FPN being issued at a checkpoint and that is what is putting many people off

Aquos76 wrote:
    Yes they are but as long as these restrictions are in place, then there is always a possibility of a FPN being issued at a checkpoint and that is what is putting many people off

We do not live in an authoritarian state, thank god, not only are there people moving around the country, but people are flying in and out also. Yup there's a possibility of you being fined, but that doesn't mean you still can't, it just means you 'll be down in few quid, if caught. Lockdowns won't work now, we ve obviously passed through a point were people can't take anymore, which is completely understandable, vaccine roll out is critical now, ridiculing and shaming people also won't work.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

There's nothing special about me, we all have a certain level of personal responsibility of looking after our own well being, and sometimes to do that, you must break some rules in life, and that is okay to.

The problem with your support for breaking rules related to health is your selfishness can cause a cluster to be created and can even result in somebody's death or long term health issues.
    The psychological fallout from this pandemic will be terrifying, and our health system doesn't have the capacity to deal with it, so as always, prevention is better than cure, break the rules if you need to, but you must accept the potential possibilities of doing so

So you've accepted that your actions could potentially result in somebody's death or ending up in ICU?

Very big of you to accept this, I'm sure it'll be very reassuring to that person's family.

Lockdowns won't work now, we ve obviously passed through a point were people can't take anymore, which is completely understandable,

Then there are people like yourself who didn't seem to care from the start and did what they want. This makes you part of the problem for why you claim lockdowns don't work.

The reality is they do, they prevent the spread and the figures support this.
    It's only when people ignore the rules do we see numbers climbing for infections and deaths,.

We do not live in an authoritarian state, thank god, not only are there people moving around the country, but people are flying in and out also. Yup there's a possibility of you being fined, but that doesn't mean you still can't, it just means you 'll be down in few quid, if caught. Lockdowns won't work now, we ve obviously passed through a point were people can't take anymore, which is completely understandable, vaccine roll out is critical now, ridiculing and shaming people also won't work.
    Cabaal wrote: »
    The problem with your support for breaking rules related to health is your selfishness can cause a cluster to be created and can even result in somebody's death or long term health issues.

So you've accepted that your actions could potentially result in somebody's death or ending up in ICU?

Very big of you to accept this, I'm sure it'll be very reassuring to that person's family.

Then there are people like yourself who didn't seem to care from the start and did what they want. This makes you part of the problem for why you claim lockdowns don't work.

The reality is they do, they prevent the spread and the figures support this.
    It's only when people ignore the rules do we see numbers climbing for infections and deaths,.

we really need to address our history of attempting to shame our citizens, it hasnt really worked very well for us!

i have had discussions with mental health professionals about this, they have confirmed i am actually doing the right thing for myself, and also our fellow citizens, a well brain, is a good brain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Was in a shop today and a woman was standing right next to me, putting her stuff on the counter as I was being served. She was in her 70s I'd say.

The shop assistant told them "are ye together" and I said "no", so she told her to take a step back and she just said "alright" no apology or anything.

It's incredible how people can still behave like this over a year in to the pandemic. I am genuinely flabbergasted at the stupidity of some people. No wonder things have to be sign posted everywhere.

Advertisement