Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

its a good idea,to catch cases without sythoms and prevent em,from passing it on??
    Way too many died in january to not do everything possible to prevent another case of the ritz in tramore again.

Its a good idea in areas where case numbers are still stubbornly high, Waterford thankfully isn't one of these place, who knows, maybe hundreds may present themselves over the next five days for testing and we might be having a different conversation then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd march every school child through it. And every teacher.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I'd march every school child through it. And every teacher.

Now there’s an idea alright Harry, I’d actually agree to this :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

An email has been circulated to hospital staff to let them know childcare arrangement concessions are coming to an end

Pandemic is over in other words

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

I see the numbers had been back to pre-Christmas levels the last couple of weeks: <5, 5, 8 etc... but they were 15 today. Not sure is that a due to the schools going back full time or the presence of the walk-in test centre being in Waterford for the week, or both.

Speaking of which, I went down to the Walk-in Test Centre for a test at lunchtime today. Walked straight in, no one else getting tested. Saw another guy arriving just as I was leaving. I was in and out in 5 minutes, would have been half that time if the girl entering my details on the laptop hadn't been faffing around. The swab wasn't uncomfortable at all.

And while I'm going with the COVID updates, both parents got the first vaccine in the last couple of days. One got the Pfizer in their GP's office, the other got AztraZeneca out in WIT Carriganore. Took 90 minutes to get vaccinated out in Carriganore though, not sure if that's a regular occurrence or if they were just having a bad day. Just to bear in mind if anyone is due out there in the next while, there might be a bit of a wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

johnnykilo wrote:
    And while I'm going with the COVID updates, both parents got the first vaccine in the last couple of days. One got the Pfizer in their GP's office, the other got AztraZeneca out in WIT Carriganore. Took 90 minutes to get vaccinated out in Carriganore though, not sure if that's a regular occurrence or if they were just having a bad day. Just to bear in mind if anyone is due out there in the next while, there might be a bit of a wait.

Thankfully we didn't have to wait long for our jab, just a few minutes really, wasn't in carriganore though. Unfortunately the situation with vaccines doesn't seem to be settling, Pfizer now saying a third maybe needed within a year, and then of course there's the AstraZeneca situation, which is what I got, unsure what's gonna happen there. How are your parents after it?

Thanks for asking. One was fine, the other was fairly sick for about 24 hours after the AZ one, but that wasn't totally unexpected I guess.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Pfizer now saying a third maybe needed within a year

Same as flu vaccine, so no big deal really just that they'll need greater uptake for a few years of people getting the covid one. Maybe they can combine the two.

Same as flu vaccine, so no big deal really just that they'll need greater uptake for a few years of people getting the covid one. Maybe they can combine the two.

similar to flu, but obviously not exactly the same, development of covid vaccines could still be tricky over the next couple of years, no idea if both can be mixed, we ll see i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I saw something on TV where they were looking for volunteers in the UK for a trial of giving the flu and covid vaccines at the same time. Think they were looking for volunteers who had already had one covid jab and were waiting for their second.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

I saw something on TV where they were looking for volunteers in the UK for a trial of giving the flu and covid vaccines at the same time. Think they were looking for volunteers who had already had one covid jab and were waiting for their second.

they seem to be also trialing mixing different covid vaccines

• Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

So...a controversial question, but is the pandemic essentially over? Vaccines have driven down deaths and infections in our older populations, and by the end of the year most people will be fully vaccinated. So the only threat remains with variants coming in but that can be nipped at source. With life pretty much half back to normal in the UK and so much known about the virus by now, the worst is behind us. What do you think?

So...a controversial question, but is the pandemic essentially over? Vaccines have driven down deaths and infections in our older populations, and by the end of the year most people will be fully vaccinated. So the only threat remains with variants coming in but that can be nipped at source. With life pretty much half back to normal in the UK and so much known about the virus by now, the worst is behind us. What do you think?

Personally I don't think it's going to be that straightforward unfortunately. I think there's going to be a few more twists in the vaccine rollout and I think the variant threats can't be ignored. I think there's plenty of reason for hope for this Summer things almost getting back to normal, but I think the Autumn/Winter is going to see another lockdown for various reasons due to complacency from the relaxed Summer and the vaccines and then the spread of variants.

I don't think the variant can be nipped at source as you said, unless every country either locks down or stops travel. You only have to look at what's happening in India at the moment, the variant spreading there is a combination of 2 variants: a more transmissible one and a more debilitating one. Younger people seem to be more susceptible to that one also for some reason. Apparently this variant is in the UK now. Brazil is another case in point, and given their failure to lockdown there's plenty of opportunity for even more variants to arise.

I think eventually we'll get on top of this, and I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it happening for another couple of years, until at least most of the world gets vaccinated. I hope I'm wrong but that's how I see it going: a good Summer, another bad Winter and then maybe something approaching normality this time next year.

I can see the potential for a massive "lock in" next winter to try and keep these overseas variants at bay. The airline business might think it can see daylight but I reckon international trave will be suppressed for a good while yet.

johnnykilo wrote:
    I think eventually we'll get on top of this, and I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it happening for another couple of years, until at least most of the world gets vaccinated. I hope I'm wrong but that's how I see it going: a good Summer, another bad Winter and then maybe something approaching normality this time next year.

Unfortunately I think you could be right, this is one little bugger of a virus, we 'll be fighting it for another while , and it really does look like vaccines is the only answer. I can also see growing unrest occuring, people are truly done with it, so are businesses, and understandable so, I suspect a stormy few months ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Test centre in Kilcohan very busy just now, at least 8/9 cars queuing, wonder is this Easter catching up or is there a localised outbreak somewhere, given its Sunday morning at 10.30, I was a bit surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Flow Motion

Most of us thought we were over the worst of it last June. Enjoyed the Summer and then the schools returned and we were back @ Lockdown#2 by the end of October. Re-opened @ start December and were really in trouble by the end of the month/New Year.

Either side of L2 and the current L3 restrictions were only eased for 30 days in Dec. So as of today we have been at Level 5 for 170 out of the past 200 days!!!:eek: Thats a fair chunk of time. Cant imagine the real/full effect on many people's mental health and the financial effect on people & businesses.

The vaccines are making a difference though and the change of season too. But I would not say the pandemic is over as such. We have been caught out and on the hop a fair few times over this past year. I'd keep an eye on the numbers over the next month to see the effect of the schools fully returning and the lifting of the 5k restrictions. If the Govt open things up too quickly without a large % of us receiving even just the one dose of a vaccine then it could drag on for a few months.

The variants could surprise us. There's a few about now and more will emerge until most of the world is vaccinated. So I'd be sceptical if any Govt Minister comes out and pats us on the back and tells we are over the worst of it in the next few weeks.

EzWefUCVEAQFZNc?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭iseegirls

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Test centre in Kilcohan very busy just now, at least 8/9 cars queuing, wonder is this Easter catching up or is there a localised outbreak somewhere, given its Sunday morning at 10.30, I was a bit surprised

I don't think these kind of posts are necessary really. People are given an allotted timeslot as to when to arrive at the test centre. You're getting a snippet of how many cars are there at a part of a day by walking or driving past. The centre was closed in the afternoon yesterday, and so if they scheduled say 20 tests to take place between 10-11, then jumping to conclusions should be held off.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

iseegirls wrote: »
    I don't think these kind of posts are necessary really. People are given an allotted timeslot as to when to arrive at the test centre. You're getting a snippet of how many cars are there at a part of a day by walking or driving past. The centre was closed in the afternoon yesterday, and so if they scheduled say 20 tests to take place between 10-11, then jumping to conclusions should be held off.

I wasn’t jumping to any conclusions, I was just making a point on what I saw, but thanks for clarifying

• Advertisement

Entire SE region now low or very low.

Ezbm6sCWQAA-r63?format=jpg&name=small

ZERO, NULL, NADA, NUTTIN'

EzgxvYEWUAEZdec?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭aziz

Woohoo

this things a fcuking pain in the hole, re: intel!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

So will people from areas with higher infection rates be planning their staycation in areas like Waterford with a low rate?

Wake me up when it's all over.

12 cases today.

Apparently funerals and wakes are a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

Depressing to go from an all-time low for months to 12 cases. A bit of optimism and then bam. Hopefully they'll level back off to under 5 a day by monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭aziz

Doh

Think of it as two sixes.

• Advertisement

and Six again ;)

Advertisement