Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Bhoy1967

Just head up around the basketball court up by the Farronshoneen roundabout / WLR - every Saturday / Sunday I pass there's a full basketball game going on and the playground is full - crazy carry on - people are carrying on as if there is no pandemic - we will not get out of this lockdown any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

jimbojazz wrote: »
    I know, but we're told not to engage in any of these activities, plus they had a few spectators looking on, as well as nearly taking the head off a few people with the ball:D
    Bhoy1967 wrote: »
    Just head up around the basketball court up by the Farronshoneen roundabout / WLR - every Saturday / Sunday I pass there's a full basketball game going on and the playground is full - crazy carry on - people are carrying on as if there is no pandemic - we will not get out of this lockdown any time soon.

It's going to be unstoppable soon, the "contain/zero Covid" battle with "living with Covid" is lost and it's getting harder to justify doing more of the same when it's not working in the areas it needs to work - namely indoors! Community, work and schools related is where the issues are not outside per se.

Bad behavior will occur in and out by those who just don't take care or just don;t care, all the rest of us can do is look after ourselves at this point. Allow us get beyond the city limits and behave rationally while doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

It's going to be unstoppable soon, the "contain/zero Covid" battle with "living with Covid" is lost and it's getting harder to justify doing more of the same when it's not working in the areas it needs to work - namely indoors! Community, work and schools related is where the issues are not outside per se.

Bad behavior will occur in and out by those who just don't take care or just don;t care, all the rest of us can do is look after ourselves at this point. Allow us get beyond the city limits and behave rationally while doing so.

But what's the difference between not working and all hell let loose?

Wake me up when it's all over.

The greatest failure throughout this pandemic isn't allowing activity or even travel from outside it's testing testing testing, they've never taken it seriously enough to be truly effective. Even this walk in initiative is a load of window dressing - four tents in west Dublin and one in Longford - for a week!

If we had a regime worth a damn we could do more with some confidence. Schools and workplaces should be testing everyone everyday. Every outbreak/cluster should be attacked by public health doctors and the cohort isolated but we can't do that because we won't throw the resources at it. Last summer was wasted - nothing was put in place that should have been and we've been paying for it since.

The greatest failure throughout this pandemic isn't allowing activity or even travel from outside it's testing testing testing, they've never taken it seriously enough to be truly effective. Even this walk in initiative is a load of window dressing - four tents in west Dublin and one in Longford - for a week!

If we had a regime worth a damn we could do more with some confidence. Schools and workplaces should be testing everyone everyday. Every outbreak/cluster should be attacked by public health doctors and the cohort isolated but we can't do that because we won't throw the resources at it. Last summer was wasted - nothing was put in place that should have been and we've been paying for it since.

So the all hell let loose is the better option?

Given our politicians I don't see them doing anything radically different to solve anything so we are stuck where we are.

• Advertisement

People will just ignore the powers that be, that's the trouble. We're not going to sit out another Spring into Summer.

People will just ignore the powers that be, that's the trouble. We're not going to sit out another Spring into Summer.

Then there are those that are more likely to get it and spread it and those that are far less likely to get it. I'll take my chances in the latter group.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Just walked past the park, and it's clear that some people aren't getting the message or just don't care. Packed with kids on the swings etc, parents sitting huddled together, some older generation gathered elsewhere, I actually saw lads playing a cricket game there the other day!!

Do they not realise it's their actions that are keeping people in hospital and others out of work

Nearly every week when at post office I have to tell someone to stand back. If they can't follow the simple 2m rule how do you expect them to follow the others.
    Same idiots will be the ones complaining about lockdowns and extensions, have barely braincells to rub together to realise it their actions are the reason.

Slide1.jpg
    Slide11.jpg
    Slide12.jpg
    Slide16.jpg

Slide1.jpg
    Slide11.jpg
    Slide12.jpg
    Slide16.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

spookwoman wrote: »
    Nearly every week when at post office I have to tell someone to stand back. If they can't follow the simple 2m rule how do you expect them to follow the others.
    Same idiots will be the ones complaining about lockdowns and extensions, have barely braincells to rub together to realise it their actions are the reason.

I see this alot and i don't really understand why at this stage of the game, i mean most places have circles on the floor or some marking in place for people to stand on or behind while in a que.

Literally happens to me constantly, i was in local petrol station two people ahead of me waiting to be served standing on the markings the person behind me standing on my heels (even when i moved up to the next marking)

I dislike social distancing, mask wearing and lockdowns as much as the next person that said i still follow the guidelines i mean its not terribly difficult to stand 2 meters away from the next person in a queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I dislike social distancing, mask wearing and lockdowns as much as the next person that said i still follow the guidelines i mean its not terribly difficult to stand 2 meters away from the next person in a queue.

I can only speak for myself, but shops can be a sensory nightmare for me, so I am forgetting at times to keep my distance

I see this alot and i don't really understand why at this stage of the game, i mean most places have circles on the floor or some marking in place for people to stand on or behind while in a que.

Literally happens to me constantly, i was in local petrol station two people ahead of me waiting to be served standing on the markings the person behind me standing on my heels (even when i moved up to the next marking)

Worst case I had was where one of the Lidl staff who was off duty and had just been out for a run and popped into the shop for an energy drink. They stood breathing down my neck in the queue then leaned past me to chat to the person on the till. While I was taking my stuff from the back of the checkout they were joined by other Lidl staff who wandered over for a chat so I had three people stood around me one all with no masks talking across me. Yes I did email Lidl about it. I didn't say anything at the time as I know if I did I would have lost it.

Hard to know how much to read into the numbers but things seem have settled down at a fairly low level here.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭91wx763

Hard to know how much to read into the numbers but things seem have settled down at a fairly low level here.

Settling down at a fairly low level still means there will be transmission.

Zero cases means it's going away.

Zero covid is dead. We're now living with covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Zero covid is dead. We're now living with covid.

Still no plan to live with Covid so its in and out of lock down forever.

Less than 5 locally. 604 nationally.

Hijpo wrote: »
    Still no plan to live with Covid so its in and out of lock down forever.

no its not ffs, pandemics move on eventually, we ll be grand once we get herd immunity

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    no its not ffs, pandemics move on eventually, we ll be grand once we get herd immunity

How long do you see herd immunity taking?
    With the hope another variant doesn't scupper these plans also.

Keep in mind that even when counties show <5 cases they will still get locked down like a county with 600.

• Advertisement

Hijpo wrote: »
    How long do you see herd immunity taking?
    With the hope another variant doesn't scupper these plans also.

depends how quickly we can get the vaccine rolled out, and under current rates, thats looks like a while

depends how quickly we can get the vaccine rolled out, and under current rates, thats looks like a while

How many vaccines have to be dished out to be classed as having herd immunity and when has the government said we will have no more lock downs once we reach that level of vaccination?

No one has suggested that protection from the vaccine will last more than a year.

Can we as a nation get enough people vaccinated each year to get herd immunity?

Give another year or so of rinse and repeat and we may be heading in that direction but I don't see it happening anytime in the foreseeable future.

Slide1.jpg
    Slide11.jpg
    Slide12.jpg
    Slide16.jpg

Parents see the same on Friday collecting pension, there is one woman that jumps the queue will stand on the heels of people and staff seem to be afraid to confront her. Not sure if I have seen her about but been told she has crazy eyes and probably another reason why people won't confront her or they have and she's thrown a wobbly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I guess some people do have cognitive issues and just don't get it? Some are just thick. I think every time I have been to the supermarket in the last few months people have been skipping queues because the next person is 2 + metres away and they jump straight towards the till forgetting to check for a queue.

spookwoman wrote:
    Parents see the same on Friday collecting pension, there is one woman that jumps the queue will stand on the heels of people and staff seem to be afraid to confront her. Not sure if I have seen her about but been told she has crazy eyes and probably another reason why people won't confront her or they have and she's thrown a wobbly.

Seems like some sort of psychological issues there, your use of the term crazy eyes is interesting, could she be manic at times I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Describes a large portion of people in their twenties these days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Slide1.jpg
    Slide11.jpg
    Slide12.jpg
    Slide16.jpg

Having finally sorted out the recurring error whereby the days briefing figure total was the same as the previous days, the HSE are now happily publishing a table that suggests half the population of Kildare has now had Covid.

Whatever review occurs after this crisis, the information systems of the HSE need to be scrapped and a few adults employed to run them, whatever the consequences for the existing staff. It is outrageous that an entity that spends half a billion a week cannot produce simple statistical tables let alone integrated payroll reports and centralized digital medical records.

• Advertisement

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Having finally sorted out the recurring error whereby the days briefing figure total was the same as the previous days, the HSE are now happily publishing a table that suggests half the population of Kildare has now had Covid.

Whatever review occurs after this crisis, the information systems of the HSE need to be scrapped and a few adults employed to run them, whatever the consequences for the existing staff. It is outrageous that an entity that spends half a billion a week cannot produce simple statistical tables let alone integrated payroll reports and centralized digital medical records.

thats been well known for a very long time now, so i cant see it improving after this, id imagine organizing such a thing in a complex organization is far from easy, large corporations still struggle with such things, some spending multiples of millions trying to

Advertisement