Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ez_p5H1XIAg_Drs?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

The Walk-In COVID test centre is back in Waterford for a week (until Saturday 1st May).

This time it's not in College Street however, it's in the regular Test Centre in Kilcohan, operating in parallel with the appointment only test centre. Difference being the Walk-In test is for people who don't have any symptoms. Might be of use to someone and might help the spread of cases from someone asymptomatic.

https://waterford-news.ie/2021/04/23/walk-in-test-centre-opens-saturday/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

johnnykilo wrote: »
    The Walk-In COVID test centre is back in Waterford for a week (until Saturday 1st May).

This time it's not in College Street however, it's in the regular Test Centre in Kilcohan, operating in parallel with the appointment only test centre. Difference being the Walk-In test is for people who don't have any symptoms. Might be of use to someone and might help the spread of cases from someone asymptomatic.

https://waterford-news.ie/2021/04/23/walk-in-test-centre-opens-saturday/

It would be great to get some information on the numbers attending and the positivity rate or have I missed it somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

A word of caution for anyone attending the walk in centres.

I attended one recently for peace of mind and got a negative test result the next day. However I also got a close contact notification via the covid tracker app an hour or two later.

I wasn't anywhere else part from the testing centre for a good few days beforehand. At no time was I within two metres of the person queuing in front or behind me for more than a few seconds, and everyone was wearing masks outdoors. But obviously someone in the queue in front or behind me tested positive and the app picked it up.

I had to restrict my movements for ten days and do another test, which I knew would be negative. It was fairly inconvenient, but at least I could work from home. It'd be seriously problematic for someone who needs to leave their house for work, bring kids to school etc.

I'm disappointed that the test centres have been designed in a way that would allow for this to happen, but overall they're a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

hardybuck wrote: »
    A word of caution for anyone attending the walk in centres.

I attended one recently for peace of mind and got a negative test result the next day. However I also got a close contact notification via the covid tracker app an hour or two later.

I wasn't anywhere else part from the testing centre for a good few days beforehand. At no time was I within two metres of the person queuing in front or behind me for more than a few seconds, and everyone was wearing masks outdoors. But obviously someone in the queue in front or behind me tested positive and the app picked it up.

I had to restrict my movements for ten days and do another test, which I knew would be negative. It was fairly inconvenient, but at least I could work from home. It'd be seriously problematic for someone who needs to leave their house for work, bring kids to school etc.

I'm disappointed that the test centres have been designed in a way that would allow for this to happen, but overall they're a great idea.

Another word of caution, don't expect to receive your result!

I attended the one in the Good shepherd on the Saturday 3 weeks ago, the first walk-in one. I was 4th in the queue, a person took my details, hand wrote them down, and then took the test, all went smooth and not as bad as some were saying.

Waited for the results and then got a call on the Monday to say there was a mix up but I would get my result a few days later, seemingly someone with a similar name, but my surname is not common in Waterford, but anyway.

On the Wednesday I got another call to say that, despite a thorough search, my test/result had been lost.

Now, just say someone else got my result and was told they were negative, but were actually positive and then went on to infect others?

I was pretty bemused to say the least

• Advertisement

11 :( but national numbers pretty good

E0E0LrZWEAADCFF?format=jpg&name=small

E0J_88NX0AUenIs?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

What happened to spookwoman's updates? Don't worry Harry you'res are nearly as good :D

Wake me up when it's all over.

I was wondering that myself! Hope she is okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭deisemum

211k vaccinations done in the last 7 days.

I got a phone call on Tuesday to see if I could get to my GP practice within 30 mins as there were a few spare vaccines, it was like winning the lottery with the sheer joy and relief, quite an emotional experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

deisemum wrote:
    I got a phone call on Tuesday to see if I could get to my GP practice within 30 mins as there were a few spare vaccines, it was like winning the lottery with the sheer joy and relief, quite an emotional experience.

I hope ta god none are being wasted now, just fire them into any human that wants it now

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Flow Motion

Up to last week I had written-off the idea of a foreign holiday but with the way things are changing is it a bit naive to think that by say September having hopefully been fully vaccinated and some kinda of Vaccination Passport operational I may be able to jet off to the sun??
    Two weeks abroad would be a hell of a lot cheaper than 2 weeks in Ireland!

Up to last week I had written-off the idea of a foreign holiday but with the way things are changing is it a bit naive to think that by say September having hopefully been fully vaccinated and some kinda of Vaccination Passport operational I may be able to jet off to the sun??
    Two weeks abroad would be a hell of a lot cheaper than 2 weeks in Ireland!

very wishful i think, i suspect we ll all be struggling to some degree with this thing by then, but no where near as much, or as serious, but....

E0jv2DfWUAkHaPr?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭91wx763

E0jv2DfWUAkHaPr?format=jpg&name=medium
    Donegal back up at 305 ?

91wx763 wrote:
    Donegal back up at 305 ?

Jesus, no wonder theyre panicking over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Flow Motion

Probably safe to say we can hibernate Covid until the Autumn/Winter brings a brief reprise of minor proportions. Most of us will be vaccinated by then. Not saying its normal sailing ahead but it looks a lot brighter than deepest January just gone. What we will have to deal with from here on in is the collateral damage: mental health crisis across all ages, missed diagnoses of serious illnesses, unemployment, bankruptcy.... so this is what the "new normal" is gonna look like then!!:eek:

Probably safe to say we can hibernate Covid until the Autumn/Winter brings a brief reprise of minor proportions. Most of us will be vaccinated by then. Not saying its normal sailing ahead but it looks a lot brighter than deepest January just gone. What we will have to deal with from here on in is the collateral damage: mental health crisis across all ages, missed diagnoses of serious illnesses, unemployment, bankruptcy.... so this is what the "new normal" is gonna look like then!!:eek:

very worrying stuff ahead, and our government is lost in how to even approach these issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

I agree, the problems these absurd lockdowns have caused will be worse than the pandemic.

• Advertisement

Less than 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

BBM77 wrote: »
    I agree, the problems these absurd lockdowns have caused will be worse than the pandemic.

Tell that to India

Tell that to India

Covid has shown us how bad our critical services and systems are, most obvious being our health systems , but be prepared for no change there post covid

BBM77 wrote: »

They needed a 2nd freezer lorry to store dead bodies in ardkeen to deal with fallout of opening up for less than 10 days for xmas

Noone wants lockdowns,but the alternative is much worse

They needed a 2nd freezer lorry to store dead bodies in ardkeen to deal with fallout of opening up for less than 10 days for xmas

Noone wants lockdowns,but the alternative is much worse

so functioning critical services and systems, that can absorb rapid increases in demand, would be much worse?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    so functioning critical services and systems, that can absorb rapid increases in demand, would be much worse?

But we just know we are never going to get fully functional critical services, politicians are still planning critical services as if the pandemic will end soon and there will never be another one.

Long term planning doesn't happen because there is no political gain in polices that may be of benefit to the nation when you are no longer in "power".

But we just know we are never going to get fully functional critical services, politicians are still planning critical services as if the pandemic will end soon and there will never be another one.

Long term planning doesn't happen because there is no political gain in polices that may be of benefit to the nation when you are no longer in "power".

No service will absorb exponential growth demand......yes our health service is a shambles(hence worlds longest lockdown)

But it takes an incredibble level of densenss from posters (not yous) to complain about situation/health service here,when they openly brag about covid restrictions not applying to em,as their rich and would just pay the fine

so we should never try to have true functioning critical services?
    No service will absorb exponential growth demand......yes our health service is a shambles(hence worlds longest lockdown)

But it takes an incredibble level of densenss from posters (not yous) to complain about situation/health service here,when they openly brag about covid restrictions not applying to em,as their rich and would just pay the fine

all rules and laws apply equally to all citizens, some of us just sometimes choose to ignore these from time to time, in order to maintain our well being, particularly our mental well being. it also depends what you call rich, i drive a 16 year old car, i dont own a house, ive virtually nothing else to my name, if this is rich, so be it! some folks on the internets should watch their judgementalness! once again, one of my therapists costs 70 a visit, in my world, this is more or less equal to a 100 euro fine, that has similar outcomes, i.e. same same in my world!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    so we should never try to have true functioning critical services?

Of course we should but all I'm saying we aren't going to get them.

• Advertisement

Of course we should but all I'm saying we aren't going to get them.

isn't this a perfect thing to try, post covid, doesnt this make sense, would making such a declaration or demand be so bad?

Advertisement