Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Flow Motion

DLS_75 wrote: »
    Some social media distancing might be in order. Some people on Facebook and WhatsApp sharing nonsense as if it were gospel

Too right. It seems that FB + WA are a lot of people's first port of call for reliable information. Neither of them are a great source given the hysteria both can instantaneously generate. I wish we could all listen to official advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Gael23 wrote: »
    Social distancing doesn’t matter so much in the open air, it’s only in enclosed spaces. We took our dog down to Mahon Falls today. Got us out of the house and he loves the open space

Exactly sensible open air activity. I was the same, went to a quiet beach for an hour or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Gardner

spookwoman wrote: »
    Tramore it seems is buzzing with loads of people out. Webcam does show lots of people. Any chance of quarantining Tramore
    https://twitter.com/Deisesupes/status/1239221052951101442?s=20

Please stop giving this man any relevance. A scaremonger is all he is.

Tall ya lads if the amount out meats I seen on display in Dunphys is anything to go by the a lockdown must be impending. I know being stocked is that but Christ the amount they had was mental. If I was anyone thinking of delaying any shopping get in now and get what you need for the wk. No need to panic buy at all, just get what you need, there'll be more but we dunno the restrictions on movement yet. Be proactive instead of reactive. Be safe everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

No harm now everybody taking stock of what is important. Families and loved ones. Take the time to spend it with who you care for, and tell them.
    We will come out the other side of this.
    We are Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 BlueSkyDay

deise08 wrote: »
    No harm now everybody taking stock of what is important. Families and loved ones. Take the time to spend it with who you care for, and tell them.
    We are Waterford.

All about waterford sure.

Its global.we are all 1

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Flow Motion

We are Waterford.
    Fair play. Pretty sensible advice there. At the end of the day all the petty little arguments and worries disappear at a time like this. Since all the hysteria started to mount early last week I made a conscious decision to avoid the blanket social media/internet/news bulletin coverage. I haven't buried my head in the sand BTW. I still receive the push messages from the journal app and respect and HSE guidelines. Yes, it is an unprecedented event but it will pass. But getting back to the OP's original point: we should all take stock of what is really important in our lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Gardner wrote: »
    Please stop giving this man any relevance. A scaremonger is all he is.

No one is forcing you to read it and if we stopped people reading everything other people don't like (because they don't like a journalists) then no news would ever get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭blade1

We are Waterford.

Screenshot-20200316-115724.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

BlueSkyDay wrote: »

Its global.we are all 1

Yeh I'm just going to call into my neighbour in Brazil to see if she's alright. Cop on boy everyone look after your nearest and that spreads around the world. Start at home .

• Advertisement

BlueSkyDay wrote: »

Its global.we are all 1

The thread is a dead giveaway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

Gael23 wrote: »
    Social distancing doesn’t matter so much in the open air, it’s only in enclosed spaces. We took our dog down to Mahon Falls today. Got us out of the house and he loves the open space

Not true. Social distancing very much applies in the open air. I am currently self-quarantining because I went for a walk on the beach.

You need to be 1.5/2 metres apart from people whether inside or outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just back from work, I dropped into Lidl on the way out - it was fecking heaving. Mad, social distancing was quite simply impossible due to the sheer number of people - the checkouts (5 of 6 open) were basically as usual though some of us were attempting to make a space.

Lidl really should be enforcing "flood control". They might lose a few impatient customers but so what?

My advice is pick and choose your moment to shop, wear gloves (and buy a few sets of them so you can rotate their use over a few days) and don't loiter!

When I came back though town from south Kilkenny the place was dead - looked like early Sunday morning.

Just back from work, I dropped into Lidl on the way out - it was fecking heaving. Mad, social distancing was quite simply impossible due to the sheer number of people - the checkouts (5 of 6 open) were basically as usual though some of us were attempting to make a space.

Lidl really should be enforcing "flood control". They might lose a few impatient customers but so what?

My advice is pick and choose your moment to shop, wear gloves (and buy a few sets of them so you can rotate their use over a few days) and don't loiter!

When I came back though town from south Kilkenny the place was dead - looked like early Sunday morning.

To best my knowlege gloves can spread the infection,best off washing hands asap,whenever you get in and out of car and make full use of any disinfectant is what the sister was told in her job

If you wait till you are going into the shop put gloves on then even if they have sanitizer use it on gloves. When exiting shop do same and remove gloves. before getting into car use another set for next shop.

Our hands will never have been so clean or raw (thank goodness the Spring/Summer is upon us which makes the skin less prone to drying with all the washing)

Tesco Ardkeen. Shelves low on items, toilet roll only small packs but if you have a look around there is 16 pack in one of the isles. Only a few beef items, no parsnips and rest of veg low.
    At least at the check outs people are mostly respecting space and saw few wearing gloves today

Lidl have announced 9-11 shopping zone every day for the vulnerable though no details on how this will be managed. I'd feel a bit guilty going in as I have no external signs of my condition and I'm not that old yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Our hands will never have been so clean or raw (thank goodness the Spring/Summer is upon us which makes the skin less prone to drying with all the washing)

Cleaning your hands all the time can cause skin problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

vriesmays wrote: »
    Cleaning your hands all the time can cause skin problems.

Reading your posts can cause head problems

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

Supervalu Kilbarry also introducing special shopping hours for the elderly and infirm.

Ardkeen Stores offering a service whereby you ring in your shopping list, they do your shopping, payment over the phone and they put your bags in the boot, no contact necessary.

I was in Supervalu Kilbarry on Saturday and today and, shelves well stocked on both days. Low or out of stock on the usual suspects but, plenty there to get imaginative with your meal planning.

Tesco Ardkeen extremely busy this morning, strange for a Monday morning but, I think people are still panicky due to the misinformation going around on social media and the sense that an announcement by the government is looming.

This may be stating the obvious but, the sage advice may be lost in the furore online.
    If you haven't already, buy frozen items and tinned items, these will keep a lot longer. Consider doing some batch cooking and freezing, just in case you end up unwell or, your family end up unwell and you're busy looking after someone and don't have time to cook.
    If you can't get to one of the big shops or, you're trying to avoid them altogether but actually need to do some food shopping, don't forget about Dealz and Mr Price, they sell lots of tinned and long life cupboard foods. Don't forget about Iceland for cheaper frozen foods.
    Don't go overboard with bulk buying but, do consider buying some extras, particularly foods that will last longer, just in case there are restrictions placed on our movements, or some shops have to close temporarily or suppliers to shops have to close temporarily.

Try to stay calm, I know it's easier said than done but, take breaks from reading all the latest news on Covid19. Keep yourself informed but there is such thing as too much information. If you're in a position to help, do see if any friends, relatives or neighbours need help with picking up groceries or medicines. Again, try to stay calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Just been told that the WRH is in lockdwn.. People running about with face masks and general chaos down there.!!..someone must of jinxed out city.. This week we had the up the ra debacle.. Then the Mary butler saga.. How do was reported dead(which was a false rumour) and now the deadly virus is here..my advice is don't go near the place until you really need to.. I'm going to sligo for the weekend to be safeðŸ‘.

Lockdown?? Is this factual??, People running round with face masks on??? Is this factual???

General Chaos?? Is this factual???

Jesus these type of posts speak volumes, so much ad lib in there and its this type of **** that gets people panicking!!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Lockdown?? Is this factual??, People running round with face masks on??? Is this factual???

General Chaos?? Is this factual???

Jesus these type of posts speak volumes, so much ad lib in there and its this type of **** that gets people panicking!!!!

It's been on lockdown for a long time, pretty much the rest of the post is complete nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Any of the big super markets open past 7pm today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Any of the big super markets open past 7pm today ?

Tesco Ardkeen, Poleberry and Ballybeg open until 8.

Do you just mean does St Paddy mean early closing? Best to check various twitter feeds as the stated times may vary.

Lidl have announced 9-11 shopping zone every day for the vulnerable though no details on how this will be managed. I'd feel a bit guilty going in as I have no external signs of my condition and I'm not that old yet.

They've taken on security for the door and to help make sure the old people get stuff first.

Right so I've no chance of getting in then! :D

• Advertisement

Right so I've no chance of getting in then! :D

My nephew got laid off his job yesterday and his boss rang him today saying job as Lidl security starting tomorrow morning.
    So fair play to the boss for sorting him out.
    That's our local Lidl anyway.

Advertisement