Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,170 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    I think this is the real point, at the end of the day, Sinn Fein are too toxic for any other party to do a deal with them. Yes, PBP gave them qualified support in one vote (hardly a claim to fame) but nobody else will touch them with a bargepole.

Correct me if I am wrong...but they are all 'toxic' to one another up to this point.

It has taken a worldwide pandemic to get FF and FG into a room together talking. And even with a pandemic raging The Greens are iffy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Correct me if I am wrong...but they are all 'toxic' to one another up to this point.

It has taken a worldwide pandemic to get FF and FG into a room together talking. And even with a pandemic raging The Greens are iffy about it.

Aren't the greens saying no to a govt with FF FG, but instead insisting it must be a govt of unity including SF?

Blanch will definitely not be voting for them next time out.

Again.

https://twitter.com/Costellop/status/1242806109724958720?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Theodore Roosevelt's The Man in the arena springs to mind during this crisis I have to say.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Sums up SF perfectly. The eternal hurlers on the ditch. The party with all the questions and none of the answers.

The people will remember their shambolic and cynical actions during this crisis.

Fair play to the true leaders of this nation who stood up and were counted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The Greens are lucky to recover since the last disaster when they went on with FF....

Problem is people voted them back in and now they won’t go into government they risk another backlash as a wasted vote...

Personally I think the Greens have lost their way, they had a councillor on Facebook not so long ago and he was shouting about building a new road, when I pointed out he should be shouting about public transport train etc(this was in Dublin) he didn’t understand

I do like the Greens and think they would be good with any government but digging in heels now seem a little stupid, especially with virus ongoing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Sums up SF perfectly. The eternal hurlers on the ditch. The party with all the questions and none of the answers.

Their go to answer is the Apple money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,379 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Runaways wrote: »
    The effin US government under trumps command are going to be bailing out the ordinary American ffs

somehow the concept which is utterly anathema to that entire country is now the practice.

And yeah most economists are saying it is the only sensible way forward for economic systems and people to survive.

You don’t have one without the other.

Something these clueless Fg clowns don’t seem to realize yet.

The main reason we can fund the present measures is because FG ran a tight ship over the last 9 years. Italy and Spain are looking for EU help to survive this crisis. We are capable of borrowing to fund the measures we are putting in place without having to beg from anyone else. Personal indebtedness is not as bad as in 2010 so people are not as under as much pressure again because of banking protocol in place.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭JuneMoon7

Their go to answer is the Apple money.

That, above all else, proves what an absolute amateur Mary Lou McDonald is. To make such an suggestion about money that isnt even the governments to take, like they can just steal tax money in escrow and hand it out to unemployed. A Robin Hood attitude to everything.

Theodore Roosevelt's The Man in the arena springs to mind during this crisis I have to say.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

The people will remember their shambolic and cynical actions during this crisis.

Fair play to the true leaders of this nation who stood up and were counted.

Nixon was fond of that speech too. I wonder why?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭JuneMoon7

It is about time the thread title was changed. 6 weeks later and SF have done f**k all. Unsurprisingly.

Everyone thought they were the bees knees, the peoples party. Instead, the very politicians that evryone hated are the ones taking charge, and whether you want to admit it or not, are doing a good job of it considering what a mess other countries have made of it. If SF were in charge, there would be no businesses closed, as they would be of the opinion: 'we cant let ordinary joe soap lose his business over this'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Soooo this couldn’t have been done up til now cos why exactly?
    Real accommodation and safety achieved for homeless people in Ireland with the stroke of a pen.
    It’s mad what can happen when FFG government and economy are under threat isn’t it?

Let’s see how much FFG care or continue this level of care and for how long.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/coronavirus-dublin-accommodation-sourced-for-homeless-people-1.4212875?mode=amp&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Advertisement

JuneMoon7 wrote: »
    If SF were in charge, there would be no businesses closed, as they would be of the opinion: 'we cant let ordinary joe soap lose his business over this'.

WTF???

Have you been awake for the last few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

Real accommodation and safety achieved for homeless people in Ireland with the stroke of a pen.
    It’s mad what can happen when FFG government and economy are under threat isn’t it?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/coronavirus-dublin-accommodation-sourced-for-homeless-people-1.4212875?mode=amp&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Are you going to explain what you posting that tweet praising the caretaker government was all about?

You are the archetypal SF supporter, all mouth and front spewing ill informed inarticulate nonsense

JuneMoon7 wrote: »
    Everyone thought they were the bees knees, the peoples party. Instead, the very politicians that evryone hated are the ones taking charge, and whether you want to admit it or not, are doing a good job of it considering what a mess other countries have made of it. If SF were in charge, there would be no businesses closed, as they would be of the opinion: 'we cant let ordinary joe soap lose his business over this'.

You're wrong there, SME owners and the self employed are "elites" to be milked

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The Greens are lucky to recover since the last disaster when they went on with FF....

Problem is people voted them back in and now they won’t go into government they risk another backlash as a wasted vote...

Personally I think the Greens have lost their way, they had a councillor on Facebook not so long ago and he was shouting about building a new road, when I pointed out he should be shouting about public transport train etc(this was in Dublin) he didn’t understand

I do like the Greens and think they would be good with any government but digging in heels now seem a little stupid, especially with virus ongoing

Isn't it leo who is the one who's "digging in the heels" - he's the caretaker Taoiseach who is seeking to exclude one political party when others are calling for a national government of unity, for petty differences to be cast aside even if just on a temporary basis until the pandemic is dealt with.

He is putting his ego and bias before the good of the country, and it will come back to bite his arse when the dust settles on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Between this and the mess with hospitals I think there's real questions of mismanagent to be answered.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Isn't it leo who is the one who's "digging in the heels" - he's the caretaker Taoiseach who is seeking to exclude one political party when others are calling for a national government of unity, for petty differences to be cast aside even if just on a temporary basis until the pandemic is dealt with.

He is putting his ego and bias before the good of the country, and it will come back to bite his arse when the dust settles on this.

Exactly.some neck. Mr 5 count thinks he's a carte blanch to do whatever he wants because he read a script to a telly prompter Paddy's Day.

Don't think keeping spastics like Dessie Ellis and Reada Cronin as far away from power as possible will "come back to bite him" Johnny.

FG are focussing on leading this country - and doing a damn good job. Everyone bar the small army of shinnerbots are in agreement.

smurgen wrote: »
    Between this and the mess with hospitals I think there's real questions of mismanagent to be answered.

See the man in the arena quote from earlier... good example here.

Don't think keeping spastics like Dessie Ellis and Reada Cronin as far away from power as possible will "come back to bite him" Johnny.

FG are focussing on leading this country - and doing a damn good job. Everyone bar the small army of shinnerbots are in agreement.

Mary Lou said they were doing well, last night Paddy. Relax in the kaks there!

Going to explain your post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭piplip87

Are you watching today's Dail sitting ? That is why we cannot have a national government.

SF and PBP want 100% of people's wages to be paid. They want a rent freeze, Mortgage freeze and Utility Bills freeze. So basically they want to give everybody the same amount of money but freeze all expenses.

Murphy also said that he does not want a bailout of Airlines, the hospitality sector or the banking sector after this. So the thousands of people who will lose jobs because of this virus or those who depend on tourist revenues, will be given 100% of Thier wages but won't have a job to go back too as hospitality providers will need to be bailed out.

Hard decisions will need to be made going forward. I trust FF and FG going forward to make decisions that will benefit the majority of people in the long term.

I would not trust the SF/PBP model or letting businesses go under and throwing money at everybody out of work with no long term strategy of getting people back to work.

There is a clear division in how this should be handled. So a national government won't work.

piplip87 wrote: »
    Are you watching today's Dail sitting ? That is why we cannot have a national government.

SF and PBP want 100% of people's wages to be paid. They want a rent freeze, Mortgage freeze and Utility Bills freeze. So basically they want to give everybody the same amount of money but freeze all expenses.

Murphy also said that he does not want a bailout of Airlines, the hospitality sector or the banking sector after this. So the thousands of people who will lose jobs because of this virus or those who depend on tourist revenues, will be given 100% of Thier wages but won't have a job to go back too as hospitality providers will need to be bailed out.

Hard decisions will need to be made going forward. I trust FF and FG going forward to make decisions that will benefit the majority of people in the long term.

I would not trust the SF/PBP model or letting businesses go under and throwing money at everybody out of work with no long term strategy of getting people back to work.

There is a clear division in how this should be handled. So a national government won't work.

Ireland is one of the only countries left in Europe with no ban on UK flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

From Nurses getting paid too much to them being the salt of the earth and getting cross party recognition in the Dail.
    Having all but ignored the myriad crises over the years it'll be interesting to see how, (if they are in) FG pull back on measures put in place to tackle this crisis, once it has passed, while the ongoing record breaking other crises most likely persist.
    I suppose some crises are more important than others if the world is watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Bowie wrote: »
    From Nurses getting paid too much to them being the salt of the earth and getting cross party recognition in the Dail.
    Having all but ignored the myriad crises over the years it'll be interesting to see how, (if they are in) FG pull back on measures put in place to tackle this crisis, once it has passed, while the ongoing record breaking other crises most likely persist.
    I suppose some crises are more important than others if the world is watching.

No trolley crisis anymore.

Who would have thought it.

Makes me think this homeless crisis is a big myth and down to irresponsible morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

No trolley crisis anymore.

Who would have thought it.

Makes me think this homeless crisis is a big myth and down to irresponsible morons.
    Or, it takes a crisis of Biblical proportions for FG to pull the finger out.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Or, it takes a crisis of Biblical proportions for FG to pull the finger out.

FG didn't do anything, the thousand or so people who apparently needed urgent care on trollies all around the country have evaporated. No reports of any fallout from this on people's health. What's going on exactly?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

The main reason we can fund the present measures is because FG ran a tight ship over the last 9 years. Italy and Spain are looking for EU help to survive this crisis. We are capable of borrowing to fund the measures we are putting in place without having to beg from anyone else. Personal indebtedness is not as bad as in 2010 so people are not as under as much pressure again because of banking protocol in place.

So you’re saying

Fine Gael.

Found a magic money tree.

Overnight

Some feat.

So you’re saying

Fine Gael.

Overnight

Some feat.

I still have comprehension issues.

Could you explain that post please? Thank you

This is the one in case you forgot: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112944152&postcount=2851

So you’re saying

Fine Gael.

Overnight

Some feat.

There has been an emergency fund since the Tiger croaked.

• Advertisement

So you’re saying

Fine Gael.

Overnight

Some feat.

The economy is to contract by 7% and we are about to plunge into a recession due to this spending. And that's after spending this year's budget surplus and the emergency reserve. You are an idiot.

Mod-Banned

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement