Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Field east

Runaways wrote: »
    So you’re saying

Fine Gael.

Found a magic money tree.

Overnight

Some feat.

What a runaway comment. You are giving a very clear impression , IMO, that you have little or no understanding of national financial matters, AA+ plus rating, etc, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Like northern Ireland is even remotely the same structurally and in government.

Would you ever put that drum away and cop on that you are just showing your ignorance.

For the people of Northern Ireland they are lucky, what would Ireland do if SF shut down the government for 3 years?

So you are saying that it was no issue SF shutting down the NI government for 3 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,033 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Shefwedfan wrote:
    FF and FG have f**ked up, but we still have lowest unemployment and jobs for our children

Keep a close eye on that unemployment rate, and many of the jobs recently created are of low income and of precarious nature, all economic indicators must be taken with a pinch of salt, as many have become very poor indicators of our overall well being, ffg haven't been doing an amazing job, but the same can be said for governments globally, as we ve all flirted with ideologies such as neoliberalism

Some have. I wouldn't say 'all' have.

So who doesn't?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Keep a close eye on that unemployment rate, and many of the jobs recently created are of low income and of precarious nature, all economic indicators must be taken with a pinch of salt, as many have become very poor indicators of our overall well being, ffg haven't been doing an amazing job, but the same can be said for governments globally, as we ve all flirted with ideologies such as neoliberalism

They are jobs?

So what are you saying they are better not creating jobs? keep people on social welfare? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,598 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    For the people of Northern Ireland they are lucky, what would Ireland do if SF shut down the government for 3 years?

So you are saying that it was no issue SF shutting down the NI government for 3 years?

If you don't understand why it shut down then don't even pretend to say you understand the politics of it.

You are just bull****ting

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Remember Leo saying we couldn't stop evictions, repossessions, or rent increases.
    Hmmmm

How legal are these new ‘laws’. The gov is hoping against hope that they will not be legally challenged and that individuals/ company’s will not go down that route given the reasons as to why it was done/ times that are in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Field east wrote: »
    The Green party’s stance has me totally baffled. It’s issue seems to be that since there will be no money for investing in furthering the green economy over the next , say five years + it has no interest in being part of such a government.
    THEN I heard Eamon Ryan recently on TV /radio talking about the urgency of investing in housing, health, etc.. what is the party at? Is the party more effective pi— - ing inside the tent as against pi- -ing on it from the outside.

Is it trying to engineer the formation of a unity /national gov or what?
    I always gave the green candidate a close to my no one vote in all elections but that will not be the case going forward UNLESS it comes up with a more logical reason for not taking part in gov formation.
    Has it already exhausted all avenues with FF and FG which are at only the beginning of gov formation/ programme for gov

They know whats coming down the line and don't want to get wiped out in the next election again. Easier to leave FF & FG to try and fix the economy for the next four to five years and more than likely join SF in government after the next election.

Shefwedfan wrote:
    So what are you saying they are better not creating jobs? keep people on social welfare?

Of course not, but it's extremely important to be realistic when quoting these metrics, yes it's important to be continually helping to create employment, but to recognise that these metrics only tell a proportion of the story, sometimes omitting critical information such as pay rates and the precarious nature of some jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Some have. I wouldn't say 'all' have.

Didn’t Senior British aide and Tony Blair confidante, Jonathan Powell write Gerry Adams most famous speech?

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/irishvoice/tony-blairs-chief-of-staff-wrote-someof-gerry-adams-most-important-speeches

• Advertisement

This sounds very like what FG said would happen under SF??

:pac:

Was that statement made before the virus became a reality?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Im not losing my s**t as you so politely put it, its a forum. I am lucky in life that i have worked my way to a position I don't have to mix or talk to people like you

The one thing I like about boards, if my kids dont want to school I can just show them threads like this, show them what it is like without an education, you turn into a bumbling person who can't even read a tweet and thinks name calling and using capitals is some sort of form of debating/communication
    Cheerio

Wow. Who hurt you?
    Second post in a row going for the player not the ball too.
    You haven’t actually refuted anything I’ve said about your dear leader cos you can’t. It’s the truth and you know it.

You have Kids?
    God help them.

If you don't understand why it shut down then don't even pretend to say you understand the politics of it.

You are just bull****ting

Originally over the cash for ash, what wasn't reported by anyone was Ms Foster hunband was the biggest supplier of wood pellets.

Then when it was been put back together it was SF pissing around about the Irish language and other things

Gave a good view of how they would negotiate with FF/FG???

Wow. Who hurt you?
    Second post in a row going for the player not the ball too.
    You haven’t actually refuted anything I’ve said about your dear leader cos you can’t. It’s the truth and you know it.

You have Kids?
    God help them.

Hate to tell you but at the moment he is your Dear leader as well :P:P:P:P:P

joeguevara wrote: »
    Didn’t Senior British aide and Tony Blair confidante, Jonathan Powell write Gerry Adams most famous speech?

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/irishvoice/tony-blairs-chief-of-staff-wrote-someof-gerry-adams-most-important-speeches

Does that mean that all politicians have speech writers?

Some politicians have speech writers some don't.

The important point is does the words spoken match the record or actions of the speaker?

In the case of Varadkar, reputedly using a new speech writer, he is a man who led his party to one of it's worst electoral results ever. Reducing their share of the vote dramatically and with a penchant for the last number of years for striking a hollow, discordant note in his utterances.

So my question remains...has the man/party 'changed' or is it, as I suspect, just the speechwriter that has 'changed'?

Hate to tell you but at the moment he is your Dear leader as well :P:P:P:P:P

If his premiership is anything like as successful as his time ‘leading’ finance and welfare we truly are in safe hands

That was sarcasm in case you missed it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭joeguevara

The important point is does the words spoken match the record or actions of the speaker?

In the case of Varadkar, reputedly using a new speech writer, he is a man who led his party to one of it's worst electoral results ever. Reducing their share of the vote dramatically and with a penchant for the last number of years for striking a hollow, discordant note in his utterances.

So my question remains...has the man/party 'changed' or is it, as I suspect, just the speechwriter that has 'changed'?

I wasn’t talking about that at all. It just happened to coincide with me reading the book mentioned in my link. I found it amazing how a person who didn’t want to even shake hands with GA and MMG at the beginning ended up becoming such close friends. Maybe it will happen here too.

Of course not, but it's extremely important to be realistic when quoting these metrics, yes it's important to be continually helping to create employment, but to recognise that these metrics only tell a proportion of the story, sometimes omitting critical information such as pay rates and the precarious nature of some jobs

Well that was a load of rubbish!!!!

Do you want the government now to release details of everyone wages in Ireland?

What are you talking about?

Just admit SF have a speech writer and get on with it. It was as stupid comment to start with so just move on

Just admit SF have a speech writer and get on with it. It was as stupid comment to start with so just move on

Admit?

I never claimed otherwise.

You need to calm the ham there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

The reason for the resistance to SF is
    1. They haven’t a clue
    2. The only time they went into government in any form the government was shut down for 3 years
    3. The people that get up and work will be screwed
    4. It wil push more people onto social welfare
    5. The large corporations that keep Ireland afloat will move away
    6. Our children will be left with a social welfare state but no UK to pay for it ike Northern Ireland
    7. We will end up back in the 70/80 when you moved to anywhere to get a job

That’s just a starts, I’m not looking for brown envelopes or favours as you say from any political party, just to run the country. FF, FG or Labour I would happily take, SF not a chance.....they have what, 2 good politician and then a load of .....

I agree that SF not capable of running the country.
    In the last 20 years both FF and FG have confirmed that they are not able to run the country so we need a new direction. It will have to be radical shift in political thinking which will take likely a generation.

I think we need to be careful with multinationals.

This is what Trump said the day after he described Leo as his good friend at the White House meet.

“We’re looking for some alternatives, yes,” Mr Trump said. “Ireland does a lot of work for us you know that in that world, in the pharma world. A very tremendous producer, and we are looking to bring a lot more back home. I’ve been talking about this for many years. . .long before I decided to run for president . . .we have to be able to take care of our country.”
    Exporter

Ireland is a major exporter of pharmaceutical and medical supply goods to the United States. It exported $53 billion (€48.2 billion)worth of pharmaceuticals last year, 31 per cent of Ireland’s total exports. Most of this went to the United States.

I be afraid if there be a shift in policy we could end up losing alot of these high end employers as the googles and these type of companies can re-locate anywhere.
    I may be wrong but that has being my view for years.

joeguevara wrote: »
    I wasn’t talking about that at all. It just happened to coincide with me reading the book mentioned in my link. I found it amazing how a person who didn’t want to even shake hands with GA and MMG at the beginning ended up becoming such close friends. Maybe it will happen here too.

Yes, the relationships that developed out of the intensity of the GFA negotiations are surprising and fascinating.

Shefwedfan wrote:
    This thread has gone to a new level of stupidity!!!

What is stupid is continously using economic metrics that poorly at best, explain and represent the bigger picture of what they are being used for, and then have governments high five each other when presenting this data. it's clearly obvious that the cost of living has been rapidly rising, particularly in relation to housing and accommodation, but wage inflation has been remaining low for many in relation to this cost of living. Both ffg have played a critical role in allowing this to occur, as they have been the predominant parties in power over the last couple of decades, while these changes have occured

Admit?

I never claimed otherwise.

You need to calm the ham there.

I refer to my previous question

So who doesn't?

It seems a few people on here seem to have an issue with direct questions, rather go off on some ramble about BS

Mary lou was on Marr a few months back and made sh!t of his attempts to attack her. She’s far and away more eloquent and able to actually respond to whats being said to her than Leo.
    No doubt they all have speech writers.
    But we don’t need speeches now. We need a real leader. Leo’s doing photo ops as usual.

That’s not leadership. And he’ll get away with it cos he just will and it’s civil service doing all the real work anyways. As it ever was.

What is stupid is continously using economic metrics that poorly at best, explain and represent the bigger picture of what they are being used for, and then have governments high five each other when presenting this data. it's clearly obvious that the cost of living has been rapidly rising, particularly in relation to housing and accommodation, but wage inflation has been remaining low for many in relation to this cost of living. Both ffg have played a critical role in allowing this to occur, as they have been the predominant parties in power over the last couple of decades, while these changes have occured

Keep digging and you might get to a point sometime next year

You are actually complaining about people getting jobs!!! Really, you prefer to see everyone sitting on social welfare?

I don’t blame FG on this necessarily . But at the same time one of the capitals main hospitals shouldn’t have to be on social media begging for supplies.
    This continues and you will see it being blamed squarely on our temporary government.

On behalf of Ceppie Merry & Pauline Wilson and all at St James’ Hospital, can I ask you to please please share this video? The staff are in dire need of masks and other protective equipment.

https://www.facebook.com/jamie.fenton.520/videos/10158054783279512/UzpfSTEwMDAwMTIxODk5NTEyMzoxNjMxNDIzNTc3MDE0NzM3/

See Pearse din the Dail toady saying we need an alternative government to FFG to reflect the appetite for change.

Can anyone tell me what that alternative government looks like and who makes it up?????

See post 2961. SF floats at every opportunity it’s mantra that the country voted for change. What is this based on ? It , IMO , can only be based on the TDS elected and their orientation re the voting public’s take on they being TDS for change.
    So let’s see. FFG between them have 70 TDS. When you look at the various TDs in post no 2961 - most of who are ex FF or FG- You could pick at least ten of them that would be in the SF category for change. The Greens would be for a certain type of change (aka SF definition for change ) but maybe not for the SF type of change. Labours 6 TD are not for change - otherwise it would have got more than 6 TDS if the voters wanted change.
    SO WHERE DOES THAT LEAVE US ? The voting public voted for circa 86 TDS that , as far as SF and other left wing TDS, are not for change and it voted for 74 TDS that are for change. Leaving out the Green TDS that figure comes down to 62 TDS . UNLESS I AM MISSING SOMETHING OR COMPLETELY MISUNDERSTAND SOMETHING if the voters voted for 86 TDS NOT for change and 62 TDS FOR change well did the nation vote for a no change government arrangement.

ANOTHER POINT. Did the voters really expect that you would get sufficient cooperation , compromise, buying amongst all the parties / individuals on the left to form a strong well focused and stable government. I am not too sure. The voting public was well aware of the lefts side propensity to split, abandon parties, have major policy differences, see themselves in advocacy rolls only/ in permanent opposition rolls.

So where is this massive desire for change coming from?
    Just because Mary Lou constantly says it in a very authorities way and supported by the Boyd Barrett’s of this world does not say that it is true

Mary lou was on Marr a few months back and made sh!t of his attempts to attack her. She’s far and away more eloquent and able to actually respond to whats being said to her than Leo.
    No doubt they all have speech writers.
    But we don’t need speeches now. We need a real leader. Leo’s doing photo ops as usual.

That’s not leadership. And he’ll get away with it cos he just will and it’s civil service doing all the real work anyways. As it ever was.

I think I’d prefer someone with experience leading the country than one who spouts sound bites from the sidelines.

• Advertisement

Keep digging and you might get to a point sometime next year

You are actually complaining about people getting jobs!!! Really, you prefer to see everyone sitting on social welfare?

Can you actually make any points and not attack people?

It’s constant

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement