Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Well yes they did. They, with the assistance of everyone else in government and most of the country, knuckled down and dealt with the Covid crisis.
    But the reason I made the point I did was that Leo cannot help himself, he is single handedly showing that the leopard does not change it's spots and he will reduce their popularity.

Yeah but as I said earlier, for Fg to reduce their popularity, someone else needs to increase theirs. And given the stupidity/arrogance displayed by the two biggest parties, that is not a certainty.

I still hope we will have a new entrant, unlikely as that may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,254 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

christy c wrote: »
    Yeah but as I said earlier, for Fg to reduce their popularity, someone else needs to increase theirs. And given the stupidity/arrogance displayed by the two biggest parties, that is not a certainty.

I still hope we will have a new entrant, unlikely as that may be.

So Leo's arrogance is ok then? Because there is nobody to benefit? Sigh.

So Leo's arrogance is ok then? Because there is nobody to benefit? Sigh.

No its not ok, I was responding to your point about popularity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Genuinely don't understand your point.

My original point was that SF voters complaining about FG (as was happening when i commented) was not surprising.

You are suggesting people critical of FG are SF supporters. Which could well be true of some however it takes nothing away from points made about FG. It's hardly FG fan boys being critical of FG.

No its not ok, I was responding to your point about popularity.

Which, if you take the most recent election, is rubbish. If a party piss the electorate off enough their vote will migrate...this isn't the day of 'my da voted FG so I will, come what may' anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

McMurphy wrote: »
    You cannot seem to join the dots between their supporters arrogance with any suggestions that housing and health services had reached crisis point, and the correlation with how this caused the party to ultimately lose the election.

Hang on is the issue here Varadkar’s arrogance, the FG parliamentary party’s arrogance or all FG’s supporters arrogance? Or is “arrogance” just the new buzzword after “change” didn’t materialise the way some hoped and claimed after the election?

tobsey wrote: »
    Hang on is the issue here Varadkar’s arrogance, the FG parliamentary party’s arrogance or all FG’s supporters arrogance? Or is “arrogance” just the new buzzword after “change” didn’t materialise the way some hoped and claimed after the election?

The point is after Leo's recent behaviour and the behaviour of FF and the Greens that nothing has 'changed'. The arrogance still persists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

So people need help, we need our politicians to be looking for us,, But the gang we have now, seem to be only looking out for themselfs.

Just some of the highlights.

In little more than four weeks the toxic mix of Fianna Fail, Fine Gael and the Greens has poisoned Irish political life and completely eroded the trust of the electorate.

They certainly packed a lot of chaos into four weeks with drink-drive Agriculture Minister Barry Cowen sacked after a few days in office and Simon Coveney demanding and getting a top of the range car and Garda driver.

Lest we forget about the pub reopening that wasn’t unless they served curry and the ministers’ pay increase which was followed by a phoney pay cut that really was a rise.

It was also the month of the two Taoisigh as Leo Varadkar kept all the trappings of power as Tanaiste including an aide-de-camp, a soldier, presumably to check for welfare cheats under his bed.

And then to top it all,, their standing at the boarding gate at the airport, asking us for our PPS number.

The only word that springs to mind is,, scumbags..

Maybe just as well Ryan is asleep.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/news-opinion/pat-flanagan-column-fianna-fails-22448637

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

satguy wrote: »
    So people need help, we need our politicians to be looking for us,, But the gang we have now, seem to be only looking out for themselfs.

Just some of the highlights.

In little more than four weeks the toxic mix of Fianna Fail, Fine Gael and the Greens has poisoned Irish political life and completely eroded the trust of the electorate.

They certainly packed a lot of chaos into four weeks with drink-drive Agriculture Minister Barry Cowen sacked after a few days in office and Simon Coveney demanding and getting a top of the range car and Garda driver.

Lest we forget about the pub reopening that wasn’t unless they served curry and the ministers’ pay increase which was followed by a phoney pay cut that really was a rise.

It was also the month of the two Taoisigh as Leo Varadkar kept all the trappings of power as Tanaiste including an aide-de-camp, a soldier, presumably to check for welfare cheats under his bed.

And then to top it all,, their standing at the boarding gate at the airport, asking us for our PPS number.

The only word that springs to mind is,, scumbags..

Maybe just as well Ryan is asleep.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/news-opinion/pat-flanagan-column-fianna-fails-22448637

God your in bad fettle this morning, and naer a, thought of your own except scumbags.
    You could just have written scumbags and linked the "mirror".
    Yes incisive thinking there.
    Not a lot has gone well for them, but believe me, it could be a lot worse.

Which, if you take the most recent election, is rubbish. If a party piss the electorate off enough their vote will migrate...this isn't the day of 'my da voted FG so I will, come what may' anymore.

I said it was not a certainty that others will increase their popularity, given their diabolical performances since the election.

Leo might piss off the electorate, but at the moment he seems to be pissing off the electorate less than FF and SF. And that changing is not a certainty, it's actually possible to go the other way too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

tobsey wrote: »
    Hang on is the issue here Varadkar’s arrogance, the FG parliamentary party’s arrogance or all FG’s supporters arrogance?

Let's start with Leo, spread it around to many of his pals in the FG parliamentary party (and beyond) and also apply it to some of the party's cheerleaders on here and other places, disagree if you want, I'm happy enough to stand over my assertion.
    Or is “arrogance” just the new buzzword after “change” didn’t materialise the way some hoped and claimed after the election?

Change didn't materialise:confused:

Correct me here if I'm incorrect, but last time I looked - FFG have had to formally enter a coalition after years of pretending one was in opposition to the other, propped up by a Green party - whose own members are abstaining and voting against policies their own party helped draw up, and to top that all off, Sinn Fein won the same amount of seats as FF did, and won more than FG did for the first time in the history of the state.

Aye sure no change at all, tis business as usual so it is Tobey.

I said it was not a certainty that others will increase their popularity, given their diabolical performances since the election.

Leo might piss off the electorate, but at the moment he seems to be pissing off the electorate less than FF and SF. And that changing is not a certainty, it's actually possible to go the other way too.

If 'polls' are the metric then you are way off the mark...SF's position is the same as it was at the election. Support is moving away from FG's partner, FF. FG have been more than lucky to keep them separate from FF, that won't pertain as it is increasingly obvious that Leo and FG have a controlling interest.

The Covid bounce that FG have gotten will disappear fairly quickly if there was a real election campaign and Leo hasn't learned that his arrogance and ranting does not play well in an election campaign.

McMurphy wrote: »

Change didn't materialise:confused:

Correct me here if I'm incorrect, but last time I looked - FFG have had to formally enter a coalition after years of pretending one was in opposition to the other, propped up by a Green party - whose own members are abstaining and voting against policies their own party helped draw up, and to top that all off, Sinn Fein won the same amount of seats as FF did, and won more than FG did for the first time in the history of the state.

Aye sure no change at all, tis business as usual so it is Tobey.

Spot on. There has been fundamental 'change' imposed here and more on the way as we proceed.

If 'polls' are the metric then you are way off the mark...SF's position is the same as it was at the election. Support is moving away from FG's partner, FF. FG have been more than lucky to keep them separate from FF, that won't pertain as it is increasingly obvious that Leo and FG have a controlling interest.

The Covid bounce that FG have gotten will disappear fairly quickly if there was a real election campaign and Leo hasn't learned that his arrogance and ranting does not play well in an election campaign.

I'm not way off the mark- FG are up roughly 15% since the election. I said it wasn't a certainty that this will reverse due to the terrible performance of their opponents since February. If you think it is a certainty, you should look for a bookie and cash in.

With FG only the third biggest party, the arrogance of SF and FF are likely to be under the spotlight more in any election campaign.

I'm not way off the mark- FG are up roughly 15% since the election. I said it wasn't a certainty that this will reverse due to the terrible performance of their opponents since February. If you think it is a certainty, you should look for a bookie and cash in.

With FG only the third biggest party, the arrogance of SF and FF are likely to be under the spotlight more in any election campaign.

And nobody will remember FG in government or take any notice of their involvement in the unfolding fiasco (so far) that is the 'coalition'?

Is this your hope or is it based in any reality at all?

FF are their partners...not their 'opponents'. Never again can they say they are separate and be taken seriously. In fact they would be better off merging completely...but they are probably too arrogant to do that yet...the combined share of the vote will have to fall a bit further for that to happen.

And nobody will remember FG in government or take any notice of their involvement in the unfolding fiasco (so far) that is the 'coalition'?

Is this your hope or is it based in any reality at all?

FF are their partners...not their 'opponents'. Never again can they say they are separate and be taken seriously. In fact they would be better off merging completely...but they are probably too arrogant to do that yet...the combined share of the vote will have to fall a bit further for that to happen.

If you think it is a certainty best of luck to you, but there are no certainties in life, and definitely not in politics.

Always thought FF and SF would be a more appropriate merger myself. Neither of them had the brain cells to realise reducing the pension age was a completely stupid idea for example. Interesting times we live in, I dont know how it will all play out.

Spot on. There has been fundamental 'change' imposed here and more on the way as we proceed.

More on the way for sure, has to be the worst start to any govt in the history of the state, uturn and climb downs all over the place, FG enjoyed a bit of a covid bounce, and in some ways deservedly so, but that won't last forever - Leo, in full on arrogance mode the other evening will soon put a pin in that balloon.

FF are losing ground day to day going by the polls, and the greens look to be as steady as a man with one leg full of buckfast.

Things are only getting started I reckon.

If you think it is a certainty best of luck to you, but there are no certainties in life, and definitely not in politics.

Always thought FF and SF would be a more appropriate merger myself. Neither of them had the brain cells to realise reducing the pension age was a completely stupid idea for example. Interesting times we live in, I dont know how it will all play out.

But you are gonna stick with the government leaders who brought about record crisis in housing and health as well as other fiascos. They have more 'brian cells' apparently.

But you are gonna stick with the government leaders who brought about record crisis in housing and health as well as other fiascos. They have more 'brian cells' apparently.

Yeah i will for now, it's not particularly pleasant but that's what I'll do unless some other party comes up with something remotely coherent.

When you look at idiots wanting to spend Apple's money, it makes the choice a bit easier.

Yeah i will for now, it's not particularly pleasant but that's what I'll do unless some other party comes up with something remotely coherent.

When you look at idiots wanting to spend Apple's money, it makes the choice a bit easier.

Well had Ireland not teamed up with Apple to take the case, would Apple have bothered on their own? That case is not over yet afaik, so it's a bit premature to be glowing about it.

Nice sidestep of any responsibility for the record crisises in Housing and Health under FG's watch.

• Advertisement

Well had Ireland not teamed up with Apple to take the case, would Apple have bothered on their own? That case is not over yet afaik, so it's a bit premature to be glowing about it.

Nice sidestep of any responsibility for the record crisises in Housing and Health under FG's watch.

I would be highly surprised if a private company did not appeal a 14 billion case against them. Also looks unlikely that this appeal will be overturned, but either way, it highlights the stupidity of a party wanted to spend money that was held in escrow.

I outlined my reasons for voting as I do, I wasn't sidestepping anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

FG arrogance is a character trait however it's manifested through policy with a disregard for the tax paying workers, especially those finding it hard to make it month to month. Kicking the living wage and the right to collective bargaining down the road with a promise to address it within the 12 month lifetime of this government will be believed if it ever happens at all. They'll likely cynically blame Covid and Brexit for the results of their poor policies but we saw things get worse for a growing number of people before either of them.
    My concern is what new wasteful quango will FF/FG cook up in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

maccored wrote: »
    You wish

Of course he does.

Whatever party is represented, I'm sure he expects more of public representatives than what those two beauts have brought to the table.

One is a barely literate rent dodger and the other is an anti-vax nut with a sideline in antisemitism.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    One is a barely literate rent dodger and the other is an anti-vax nut with a sideline in antisemitism.

Sounds a bit like James "Stubbs" Reilly and Oliver "Rout the Jews" Flanagan tbh.

Bowie wrote: »
    FG arrogance is a character trait however it's manifested through policy with a disregard for the tax paying workers, especially those finding it hard to make it month to month. Kicking the living wage and the right to collective bargaining down the road with a promise to address it within the 12 month lifetime of this government will be believed if it ever happens at all. They'll likely cynically blame Covid and Brexit for the results of their poor policies but we saw things get worse for a growing number of people before either of them.

Well they'd be right wouldn't they.
    What blind pundit would say that covid and brexit weren't detrimental to the Irish economy and indeed its services.
    Of course the shameful pay rises didn't endear them to anyone and finding that a 10 percent pay cut actually still leaves them beeter off is a criticism that is valid, as well as Cowen, voting against themselves etc etc.
    But anyone that thinks that covid and brexit aren't going to damage Ireland is quite simply not living in the real world.

Bowie wrote: »

One of the last things they did, just before the 6 week break, was to pass new legislation to help vulture funds repossess homes from struggling families.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/need-to-swear-before-god-in-court-removed-but-tds-concern-about-banks-vulture-funds-1.4318496

While FF would have no liking for, or dealings with those that own / run vulture funds. The FF inner circle being mostly, part time publicans, accidental landlords, and local spar and centra supermarket owners.

As for FG,, the wide boys from the VF's are exactly the kind of shysters that will fit well into the FG inner cyrcle, they go hand in glove.

It just goes to show how much of a lapdog party FG have turned FF into.

Does anyone really believe Micheál Martin is the real Taoiseach ?

One of the last things they did, just before the 6 week break, was to pass new legislation to help vulture funds repossess homes from struggling families.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/need-to-swear-before-god-in-court-removed-but-tds-concern-about-banks-vulture-funds-1.4318496

While FF would have no liking for, or dealings with those that own / run vulture funds. The FF inner circle being mostly, part time publicans, accidental landlords, and local spar and centra supermarket owners.

As for FG,, the wide boys from the VF's are exactly the kind of shysters that will fit well into the FG inner cyrcle, they go hand in glove.

It just goes to show how much of a lapdog party FG have turned FF into.

Does anyone really believe Micheál Martin is the real Taoiseach ?

I'd say Michael himself does :)
    The # not my Taoiseach hasn't hit him yet.
    The rest of your post is just drivel, not even supported by the article you link.

I'd say Michael himself does :)
    The # not my Taoiseach hasn't hit him yet.
    The rest of your post is just drivel, not even supported by the article you link.

Minister for Justice Helen McEntee has rejected claims that legislation to reform the courts will allow vulture funds and banks get summary judgments against property owners on the basis of hearsay evidence.

Independent TD Mattie McGrath claimed the provision was “designed for vulture funds by their well-paid legal advisers to remove any protections for people from vulture funds”.

read it again.

Minister for Justice Helen McEntee is FG,, is it just me, or did FG give themselfs all the jobs that matter.

I din't think FF got one single top Minister spot.

(Lapdogs indeed)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

blanch152 wrote: »
    I feel your pain through the screen, how hurt you were by his comments.

It was more RBB and Smurphy crying like cowardly bullies when someone stood up to them. Fair play to him.

jesus blanch you must have been watching some kind of alternative reality on what went on in the Dail the other day. Leo had a meltdown and lost the plot complaining that the big parties were "getting bullied" by the opposition.

Now if Leo is scared and feels bullied by Paul Murphy and RBB then he has got much larger problems on his hands. Fine Gael are supposed to be playing senior hurling here yet Leo is moaning like a whingbag that he is getting bullied. This is the same Leo who called Mary Lou "cranky" in the Dail a couple of years ago so he is well able to dish it out but when the boot is on the other foot he goes crying like a child complaining of "bullying" :rolleyes: He needs to man up, theres no place for this cribbing and moaning on the senior hurling pitch.

:D that gave me a laugh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement