Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,160 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

markodaly wrote: »
    Well, Lowery is not a FG TD, Dessie Ellis is a SF TD... so when can we expect SF to kick the likes of Ellis out of the party?

As you say, he did wrong. Are you calling for his resignation? :)

Extremely ‘concerned’ about the probity of other parties deputies but not too concerned about their own, Mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,285 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Twitter is a cesspit of cranks, malcontents and fools. And that is not even discussing all the fake information and news out there.
    Yes if you are looking to be insulted. If you are looking for incisive opinion, or different opinions it has no match.
    No more than here, if you aren't prepared to use your scroll wheel or are over sensitive to criticism you won't have a good time.

You do know that there are nation states out there with armies of people, deveopling bots online to try and drive a wedge by playing both extremes in the west? Twitter is being used as a tool by the likes of Russia and China targetting mostly Americans but also citizens of other countrues.
    We saw similar when it came to Brexit.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/22/tech/twitter-bots-trnd/index.html
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/news/twitter-misinformation-bots-regulation/

You are utterly utterly niave.

The reds under the bed again.

Use your brain when reading Mark...don't be susceptible to be brainwashed or triggered and form your own opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Leo's speech writer is causing quite the storm on twitter and elsewhere this morning.

From Broadsheet

https://twitter.com/JimIreland12/status/1269013710007304193?s=19

Leo - Lord of the Rings Varadkar. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

McMurphy wrote: »
    Leo's speech writer is causing quite the storm on twitter and elsewhere this morning.

From Broadsheet

https://twitter.com/JimIreland12/status/1269013710007304193?s=19

Leo - Lord of the Rings Varadkar. :D

I didn't see his speech, but that's hilarious.

I didn't see his speech, but that's hilarious.

Before that it was the terminator

https://entertainment.ie/cinema/movie-news/leo-varadkar-terminator-speech-447106/]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

And we had Spiderman before that too. Embarrassing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Whelo79 wrote: »
    And we had Spiderman before that too. Embarrassing stuff.

It’s harmless. It’s just #notmytaoisesch blowhards and shinnerbots who try to make things like this seem like a big issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

It’s harmless. It’s just #notmytaoisesch blowhards and shinnerbots who try to make things like this seem like a big issue.

Its no harm in pointing out that our Taoiseachs inspirational speeches are lifts from movies or whatever.
    I wonder did Leo know, did his pr advisor or speech writer tell him where these quotes come from, or is it him telling them to include them.
    I suppose we should be thankful he didn't say the deceased would be happy to see how we are coming out of this and getting back to work!

It's cringey and mostly harmless. Doesn't help the view that Leo is more concerned with soundbites and shallow PR though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,302 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yes if you are looking to be insulted. If you are looking for incisive opinion, or different opinions it has no match.
    No more than here, if you aren't prepared to use your scroll wheel or are over sensitive to criticism you won't have a good time.

The reds under the bed again.

Use your brain when reading Mark...don't be susceptible to be brainwashed or triggered and form your own opinion.

Yes, incisive opinions on Twitter!!!!

Don’t make me laugh.

Then again, when you support a party with anti-vaxxers, 5G conspiracy theorists and probably flat-earthers among its TDs, then Twitter might well be a source of incisive opinion.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »

Don’t make me laugh.

Then again, when you support a party with anti-vaxxers, 5G conspiracy theorists and probably flat-earthers among its TDs, then Twitter might well be a source of incisive opinion.

You strike me as someone who wanders about looking to be outraged.

Social media's fault is that it doesn't have an editor. You have to do that job yourself. Obviously you aren't up to the job if you cannot find any comment of quality.

Most decent journalists are on there already because they know the print business is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

Don’t make me laugh.

LV was excellent with PK last night. No autocues or soundbites. Straight up interview answering the tough questions. Quite rightly called out those who hide from responsibility.
    Easy for those perma whingers who sit on their holes 24/7 watching Twitter to mouth off. Wasters.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's cringey and mostly harmless. Doesn't help the view that Leo is more concerned with soundbites and shallow PR though.

I really, really don't think it has any impact except on those who have already decided that. Its harmless and hey, if it makes people check out the speech then that's a good thing.

Whether or not its cringey I guess is personal preference - I don't love it but I don't mind it overly. But its a pretty asinine thing for anyone to spend any time over.

mattser wrote: »
    LV was excellent with PK last night. No autocues or soundbites. Straight up interview answering the tough questions. Quite rightly called out those who hide from responsibility.
    Easy for those perma whingers who sit on their holes 24/7 watching Twitter to mouth off. Wasters.

Who did he quote to Pat last night Matty?

Iron Man?

Optimus Prime?

Odds on Leo didn't even realise he was quoting Sam Gamgee at the time, his speechwriters should really get the lols going by quoting a few lines from bohemian rhapsody or Lou Reid's take a walk on the wild side.

"Do-do-do, do-do, do-do-do
    Do, do-do, do-do, do-do-do
    Do, do-do, do-do, do-do-do, do"

He'd read it out unquestionably I reckon. :D

mattser wrote: »

Just watched it. A very good interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Well, Lowery is not a FG TD, Dessie Ellis is a SF TD... so when can we expect SF to kick the likes of Ellis out of the party?

As you say, he did wrong. Are you calling for his resignation? :)

Lowry is FG in every way but official party membership, he's included in everything, Verona will likely have similar privilege, same as Mattie is FF

Who did he quote to Pat last night Matty?

Iron Man?

Optimus Prime?

Odds on Leo didn't even realise he was quoting Sam Gamgee at the time, his speechwriters should really get the lols going by quoting a few lines from bohemian rhapsody or Lou Reid's take a walk on the wild side.

"Do-do-do, do-do, do-do-do
    Do, do-do, do-do, do-do-do, do"

He'd read it out unquestionably I reckon. :D

It is really funny when the Leo-haters are reduced to this, finding fault with his cultural references.

Lowry is FG in every way but official party membership, he's included in everything, Verona will likely have similar privilege, same as Mattie is FF

Let me see, Lowry attend the FG parliamentary party? No
    Lowry sits in the middle of the FG benches in the Dail? No
    Lowry gets counted as a FG TD? No
    Lowry is part of the FG whip to support the FG government in every vote? No

Maybe you could explain in what way he is FG in every way. It might be easier that way, as it is hard to understand your point otherwise.

It is really funny when the Leo-haters are reduced to this, finding fault with his cultural references.

Hobbit culture is make believe, surely you understand that blancher?

Hobbit culture is make believe, surely you understand that blancher?

Culture has a broad context, you are obviously not as inclusive as others, if you believe that Tolkien isn't part of culture.

• Advertisement

Jesus we are really scraping the barrel these days just to have some dig at the government for the sake of it.

Would you be able for it...

Not the government...just cringey shallow Leo again. He can't seem to help himself coming across that way. Insincere and always looking for the profound but ending up falling flat on his ass mostly.

Not a huge deal, just funny in a peculiar sort of way.

Jesus we are really scraping the barrel these days just to have some dig at the government for the sake of it.

Would you be able for it...

Leos speechwriter is not "the government", I'm ripping the piss out of the constant movie quotes, your failure to be able to separate the two things says it all tbh. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Jizique

Leos speechwriter is not "the government", I'm ripping the piss out of the constant movie quotes, your failure to be able to separate the two things says it all tbh. :D

Maybe he writes them himself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Jizique

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Jizique wrote: »

Fu ny, doesn't even write his own shopping list butwouldnt be surprised if he rhymed it off in a speech

Fu ny, doesn't even write his own shopping list butwouldnt be surprised if he rhymed it off in a speech

Not too sure I'd trust being able to read your own shopping list either, if I'm being honest with you amigo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

You know what, after reading things lately.

I'm surprised certain people can dress themselves in the morning...

Jizique wrote: »

It was reported he had a new speechwriter, some guy from Trinity I think.
    You would know it too.

You would know it too.

Where was that reported? Didn't read that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

You would know it too.

Think I'll dig a bit to see if other party leaders write their speeches.

What you reckon Francie?

Does MM and MLM write all their speeches?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement