Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

blanch152 wrote: »

If Irish voters are as stupid as American voters, then you may well have a point, as they will follow the stupid trends on Twitter which you constantly highlight.

Maybe I am a hopeless dreamer, but I have a little more faith in the ability of the Irish voter to see beyond the silly games on Twitter when our country is coming through a crisis like this.

The mature ones perhaps.

But not the pimple squeezers; the ones who are umbilically attached to their devices and think for themselves only insofar as deciding what shot or recreational drug to buy next and which one from the many available options will they shag tonight.

For them, the only big decision is as to whether it's sexier and more woke to vote Green or to vote for Mary Lou; as the recent elections (Dail and Seanad) proved, Ruth "the thong waver" Coppinger has now passed her 'best before' date.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,228 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blackwhite wrote: »
    You do realise that your own posting history from 2016 is visible on here?

Self-awareness clearly isn't one of your strong points

If you were as aware of posting history as you pretend to be then you'd be aware I have said this before.
    I defend SF on republican issues and what gave rise to their emergence, i.e. the conflict/war but I am also on record as not being a fan of their economic policies as fully formed and implementable ( the reason I want them on coalition first) or some social policy.

But you carry on misrepresenting if it makes you happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

efanton wrote: »
    Personally I think that argument holds no water at all.

I dont think anyone in SF would agree that any return to the troubles would be a good idea, nor is there any justification for any paramilitary organisation now.
    The paramilitaries came as a consequence of the people having absolutely no trust or faith in the police force or government that were supposed to protect them and treat them as equal citizens and not second class citizens to be openly discriminated against, a police force that was in of itself acting like a legalised paramilitary organisation.
    Bu it has to be borne in mind that the reason why the troubles lasts far far too long was the reluctance to allow the communities that the paramilitaries claimed to represent a seat at the table, the ability for them to actually do politics. Once that happened the paramilitaries on both sides disappeared and lost relevance pretty quickly. Was the deliberate discrimination against Catholics and nationalists not as bad as racism, if not indeed a form of racism?

What is happening in the USA has many comparisons. When the police force and government openly discriminate against sections of the population then violence is inevitable. If the government or the police do not represent the people then bad things start happening and sadly that has been repeated throughout history but the lesson is never learned.

If you dont give people, or marginalised groups within the people a seat at the table for what ever reason there will inevitably be a resort to violence and non democratic means. Rather than just condemn those that turn to violence when they feel they have no other means of being heard, surely you should also be condemning those that refuse to give them a seat at the table or treat them as equals. Why did the Irish government sit idly by when Catholics were having their home burned down and forcible evicted by mobs, why did the Irish government sit idly by when young men were being interned and put in prison without being charged or convicted of any crime.

I'm not excusing any of the atrocities that were committed by either side, but to a large extent the politicians in this country and the UK must be equally held responsible through their inaction to try address the injustice and deliberate discrimination, and indeed the people that sat and watched it all on TV but pretended it was nothing to do with them.

Thank God we had men brave enough to seek an alternative like Seamus Mallon, John Hume, Gerry Adams and indeed to a very large extent Garret Fitzgerald who was brave enough to risk condemnation (both political and public) and push for the peace process. I have never really liked FG or what they stand for but I will always have huge admiration for Garret Fitzgerald. All four of them should have won that Nobel peace award.

There's a novel in you somewhere ef.
    I like your post, but don't agree that SF aren't basically racist and a lot of their voters too.
    Brits out is still a byword, I know you can equate that to just wanting a ui, but there's a lot of anti brit, especially English in there as well as protestants.
    A lot of your post is agreeable to me.

I don't claim this is only a SF problem, but a lot of political speechifying and finger pointing is just vote catching just sounding rhetoric.

You and Donald Trump are in full agreement.

Ah the olde: if you speak up for social media you are Trump laziness.
    Prove ny point why don't you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

I like your post, but don't agree that SF aren't basically racist and a lot of their voters too.
    Brits out is still a byword, I know you can equate that to just wanting a ui, but there's a lot of anti brit, especially English in there as well as protestants.

I don't claim this is only a SF problem, but a lot of political speechifying and finger pointing is just vote catching just sounding rhetoric.

I am not going to disagree with you there, there are biggots in every group of society.
    There are a few in the SF circles that don't get the idea that for a United Ireland to happen, and I hope to see it in my lifetime, that it must be done on a basis or mutual respect. If the Orange Order want to march down Patrick's Street in Dublin once there is a United Ireland that would be just fine with me.
    But to be fair, the vast majority of the SF membership perfectly understand that, even the leadership. Who would have thought that McGuiness and Paisely would become close friends for instance, and end up being tagged as the 'chuckle brothers'.

There's always going to be the outliers in any political or social group and usually their the loudest and most noticeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,272 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If you were as aware of posting history as you pretend to be then you'd be aware I have said this before.
    I defend SF on republican issues and what gave rise to their emergence, i.e. the conflict/war but I am also on record as not being a fan of their economic policies as fully formed and implementable ( the reason I want them on coalition first) or some social policy.

But you carry on misrepresenting if it makes you happy.

I think he is pointing to the fact that you have recently claimed to have voted FG in 2016.

That isn't in accordance with my recollection of what you did at the time either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

PommieBast wrote: »
    Oh god, that newly-elected TD doing Come Out ye Black and Tans in the pub? They seriously need to let that stuff go, because to me it is the sort of cheap dog-whistling that UKIP got upto.

Sadly it's current. Only a few months back Minister for Justice Flanagan, son of another FG minister who was openly antisemetic, was pushing for a state celebration of the Black and Tans/RIC, so it was unfortunately topical at the time. That song even charted. If you want dog whistles look to Varadkar and Belfast being overseas or him relating criticism of direct provision centers to George Floyd.

The various explanations given as to the non-racist meaning of "Brits out" such as it refers to the government only or the army or the establistment etc. ring very hollow.

They are the equivalent of a white American saying I am not racist because I am only against African-American criminals.

"Brits Out", the slogan of Irish republicanism, is as racist as many white supremacist slogans.

markodaly wrote: »
    I would not be too happy to see Lowry in government but then look at someone like Dessie Ellis, someone whose actions have left people killed and murdered.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/the-sinn-fein-td-who-is-linked-to-50-murders-28951973.html

If we are to accept to have people like him in government, then Lowry would also pass the bar.

So two wrongs make a right?
    These things don't cancel each other out.

Bowie wrote: »

I haven't come across anyone on here who has voted for Michael Lowrt, but there are many who have claimed to have voted for Sinn Fein, for whom Dessie Ellis is a prominent representative.

• Advertisement

If the Occupied Territories Bill is the issue holding up the formation of a government, you'd have to think it is 99.9% there, wouldn't you?

Hardly an earth-shattering issue.

It's about decency and human rights, so it kind of is. I know it's a difficult concept for the FG minded but empathy is a thing.

I think he is pointing to the fact that you have recently claimed to have voted FG in 2016.

That isn't in accordance with my recollection of what you did at the time either.

I did vote FG in 2016, Heather Humphries. I berate and blame myself for getting conned again all the time.

It's about decency and human rights, so it kind of is. I know it's a difficult concept for the FG minded but empathy is a thing.

I think we need a little empathy a bit closer to home, some empathy for the victims of Dessie Ellis would be a start, then maybe for those suffering from Covid-19 and needing a government to get things going.

An Occupied Territories Bill will do sweet FA for anyone. Virtue signalling is all it is about, time to get on with the job of doing something for the people of this country.

Of course virtue signalling is a big thing for the Twitterati and the Shinners on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I did vote FG in 2016, Heather Humphries. I berate and blame myself for getting conned again all the time.

Is she not a member of a truly sectarian organisation?

The mature ones perhaps.

But not the pimple squeezers; the ones who are umbilically attached to their devices and think for themselves only insofar as deciding what shot or recreational drug to buy next and which one from the many available options will they shag tonight.

For them, the only big decision is as to whether it's sexier and more woke to vote Green or to vote for Mary Lou; as the recent elections (Dail and Seanad) proved, Ruth "the thong waver" Coppinger has now passed her 'best before' date.

"Medice, cura te ipsum"

Insulting and sneering at members of the Irish electorate because they didn't support your team this time around is pretty bratty IMO. These are made up of people who have voted FG in the past and may do again.

Blazer wrote: »
    It's their neighbors I feel sorry for. Dropping 61 welfare families into that is absolutely crazy.
    Hopefully it goes to genuine cases and not the likes of Cash or the SF TD in Clare who never bothered paying rent.

There's likely many working low income families included. How many unemployed never worked, won't work dole Ninja's do you think there is? There's a growing number of low to middle income workers needing state aid, it's not ridiculing them we should be, it's looking to get them financing themselves.
    I agree however, leasing apartments is a costly waste IMO. Kudos turning FG/FF policy on SF the party ridiculed for wanting to change what you are complaining about ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Dont be too hard on yourself. If you were to look back options available at the time you actually made a fantastic decision, well done.

I think we need a little empathy a bit closer to home, some empathy for the victims of Dessie Ellis would be a start, then maybe for those suffering from Covid-19 and needing a government to get things going.

An Occupied Territories Bill will do sweet FA for anyone. Virtue signalling is all it is about, time to get on with the job of doing something for the people of this country.

Of course virtue signalling is a big thing for the Twitterati and the Shinners on it.

Like posing to get your photo taken with food handouts for your Twitter account, that kinda virtue signalling? :):)

Another size nine placed in mouth there. :)

There's likely many working low income families included. How many unemployed never worked, won't work dole Ninja's do you think there is?

Loads of them.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/10-of-people-under-60-live-in-jobless-households-943287.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/irish-economy-grows-1-2-in-first-quarter-as-exports-offset-covid-19-impact-1.4271547

Irish economy grows 1.2% in first quarter as exports offset Covid-19 impact

Well a bit of good new for a change.
    Of course this was mostly before the Virus pandemic measures were put in place.
    Let hope that our increased exports can outweigh some of the loss in the domestic market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,157 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

christy c wrote: »
    Dont be too hard on yourself. If you were to look back options available at the time you actually made a fantastic decision, well done.

And he’s been hammering all comers in FG ever since, for something they ‘didn’t do’ which displeased him.

24-7-12-365.

What actually they didn’t do which aroused so much ire is a bit of a mystery.

Maybe cracked down a bit on the auld porkers hitting across the ‘bauder’.

There was a lorry or two of porkers pulled in around ‘Blaney’ in fairness.

Rile up anyone in them quarters for sure..... must have thought HH would fix it and just charge the ‘rasher’ rate.

:cool:

And he’s been hammering all comers in FG ever since, for something they ‘didn’t do’ which displeased him.

24-7-12-365.

Rile up anyone in them quarters for sure..... must have thought HH would fix it and just charge the ‘rasher’ rate.

Hilarious that the thread's main insinuator has a problem with twitter eejits. You'd fit right in with them Brendan.

What you do be insinuating though, who knows. Do you think those indecipherable posts are edgy or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,157 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hilarious that the thread's main insinuator has a problem with twitter eejits. You'd fit right in with them Brendan.

What you do be insinuating though, who knows. Do you think those indecipherable posts are edgy or what?

Mundane and straightforward,I’m afraid.

Indecipherable only to those who wish them to be, Franchesco.

What did the boy Vega say?

“You heard me just fine Punchy”

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

24-7-12-365.

I've read this twice and can't make head nor tail of it.

You must be 6 cans deep Brenner.

I've read this twice and can't make head nor tail of it.

You must be 6 cans deep Brenner.

blanch liked it, so it makes sense at some level, one presumes. Danged if I know what it means either Paddy, Brendan is a noted purveyor of this kind of post.

Sounds edgy though, whatever it is. :)

Your link does not say anything about people refusing to work and getting welfare. Another effort at a red herring/rabbit hole to dodge a topic.

Do you want to house them that need it, working or not, sick or old, in state owned properties or in luxury apartments leased for 25 years? These are your options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

Great interview with PK and LV last night. Interviewer and interviewee were splendid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,037 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

It is a democratic, unbiased platform for political thought if used right. And it is used right, there is a fantastic variety of opinion out there and it has a voice.
    They (the power swap and the media) cannot influence it and that scares the hell out of them. Hence the characterisation of it as 'stupid' or a cesspit of bile.

Twitter is a cesspit of cranks, malcontents and fools. And that is not even discussing all the fake information and news out there.

You do know that there are nation states out there with armies of people, deveopling bots online to try and drive a wedge by playing both extremes in the west? Twitter is being used as a tool by the likes of Russia and China targetting mostly Americans but also citizens of other countrues.
    We saw similar when it came to Brexit.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/22/tech/twitter-bots-trnd/index.html
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/news/twitter-misinformation-bots-regulation/

You are utterly utterly niave.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    What do the fg fanboys here think of the free luxury apartments that those on the social housing list will be getting in donnybrook ? Likely couldnt afford them yourselves, dont worry I couldnt either. But were paying for it. Waiting for the excuses and justification already!!!!

https://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/cairn-homes-agrees-30m-deal-to-sell-61-apartments-to-council-on-former-rte-lands-in-donnybrook-39260558.html

I think its a bit of a joke, but this is Dublin City Council who are controlled by FF, Labour, SD's and the Greens.

FG has not had a say in DCC for years now, as the last crowd to control the council were SF and the PBP crowd.

In other words, zero, nada and nothing to do with FG.

• Advertisement

Well, Lowery is not a FG TD, Dessie Ellis is a SF TD... so when can we expect SF to kick the likes of Ellis out of the party?

As you say, he did wrong. Are you calling for his resignation? :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement