Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,125 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Another one who was silent during an unprecedented crisis.

What was it Ivan called her tonight?

Oh yeah a hurler from ditch.

Great people to have around after an emergency.

Nonsense again. The Social Democrats have been calling out the government as uncaring on these issues long before Covid-19. Ivan did his job and she handled it very well making Fergus look like Enda under pressure...attack personally and off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

That was about as much as Fergus O'Dowd could muster tonight. 'You walked away from government...etc etc'.
    That won't wash because it is an excuse.

Its true though.

They all scurried like rats from a sinking ship.

Now finally things are improving they are appearing from the woodwork.

Sickening selfish behaviour.

Nonsense again. The Social Democrats have been calling out the government as uncaring on these issues long before Covid-19. Ivan did his job and she handled it very well making Fergus look like Enda under pressure...attack personally and off topic.

Sláinte care.

Cross party agreement.

Where where the soc dems during this pandemic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

That was about as much as Fergus O'Dowd could muster tonight. 'You walked away from government...etc etc'.
    That won't wash because it is an excuse.

An excuse? I have already said that the nursing homes will be a black mark.

And there is nothing that has to wash, the 120 or so TDs could have given FG their marching orders if they didn't like what they were doing.

Its true though.

They all scurried like rats from a sinking ship.

Now finally things are improving they are appearing from the woodwork.

Sickening selfish behaviour.

This is just nonsense.

What could they have done other than give opinions and support?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

There's a huge amount of anger in this thread. It's a difficult emotion.

It's also a tough read at this stage. What are ye up to?

Chill dudes.

This is just nonsense.

What could they have done other than give opinions and support?

Give opinions would be a start.

After all FG were only taking advice from the CMO.

Why are they now getting the blame from the hurlers?

Horrible people now looking to score cheap political points from the deaths of old people.

They done and said **** all when it was all happening.

Hope they are proud of themselves tonight.

Horrible people now looking to score cheap political points from the deaths of old people.

There was loads of opinion being given, right throughout the crisis...hour upon hour in the media.

Stop with the emotive stuff JJ. If there is a case to be answered it has to be answered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Couple of things on this
    Sinn Fein never came out with an alternative and as usual know everything after the fact. Which is useless and standard Sinn Fein. Someone posted earlier they hadn’t access to hiqa. Well they did, but they also had access to UK equivalent and came up with nothing?

Social Dem are useless as well.

The guy who is responsible for the private nursing homes should be fired on the spot. Sending a letter and doing nothing is just passing the buck. It’s someone’s else problem. Waste of space

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

They missed a few tricks perhaps is the only gripe I'd have.
    The Italian rugger lads, Cheltenham, the nursing homes.
    It was obvious from the start that older and more infirm people were the most vulnerable.
    I'd give them a 7 out of ten for their handling of it.
    Any party or Govt could have followed the medical advice.

• Advertisement

They missed a few tricks perhaps is the only gripe I'd have.
    The Italian rugger lads, Cheltenham, the nursing homes.
    It was obvious from the start that older and more infirm people were the most vulnerable.
    I'd give them a 7 out of ten for their handling of it.
    Any party or Govt could have followed the medical advice.

Harris went on radio for the rugby saying as part of EU locking down it’s borders was very difficult and that’s why they couldn’t

At that stage Covid was already in Ireland and moving because Irish people flew to Italy and brought it back. I don’t remember a spike in Dublin after the Italians?

Cheltenham was strange as uk didn’t shut it down what would Ireland do? Stop Irish people travelling? Refund flight/hotels etc....people should of had the cop on not to travel but they didn’t give a s**t. Same people probably complaining about lock down

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Harris went on radio for the rugby saying as part of EU locking down it’s borders was very difficult and that’s why they couldn’t

At that stage Covid was already in Ireland and moving because Irish people flew to Italy and brought it back. I don’t remember a spike in Dublin after the Italians?

Cheltenham was strange as uk didn’t shut it down what would Ireland do? Stop Irish people travelling? Refund flight/hotels etc....people should of had the cop on not to travel but they didn’t give a s**t. Same people probably complaining about lock down

That's a fair enough comment.
    Overall they handled it well, it was and is very difficult to keep people on board with everything anyway and people breached the rules too and will continue to do so.
    As it evolved I think the Govt evolved well with it and I'm speaking like everyone else now in hindsight, so easy to pick up the few gripes I have.

That's a fair enough comment.
    Overall they handled it well, it was and is very difficult to keep people on board with everything anyway and people breached the rules too and will continue to do so.
    As it evolved I think the Govt evolved well with it and I'm speaking like everyone else now in hindsight, so easy to pick up the few gripes I have.

The problem I seen was Irish people, you had clowns after the lockdown who flew to xyz and then complaining because they couldn’t get back to Ireland. This was after all the warnings not to travel

You had people on the Ryanair website giving each other advice on how to get back from Europe as Ryanair had shut down. Majority involved travelling across a number of countries and getting the ferry.

What was the government supposed to do? Not let them back in? You will have the same people complaining about the disease but they are the ones who helped spread it. Really really stupid things going on.

Then you have political party and supporters gloating in the death of people because they can throw mud at other parties. Disgraceful carry on.

If any of these people came out with idea at the start then great, no they sat back and waited. Usually useless people we have around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

The problem I seen was Irish people, you had clowns after the lockdown who flew to xyz and then complaining because they couldn’t get back to Ireland. This was after all the warnings not to travel

You had people on the Ryanair website giving each other advice on how to get back from Europe as Ryanair had shut down. Majority involved travelling across a number of countries and getting the ferry.

What was the government supposed to do? Not let them back in? You will have the same people complaining about the disease but they are the ones who helped spread it. Really really stupid things going on.

Then you have political party and supporters gloating in the death of people because they can throw mud at other parties. Disgraceful carry on.

If any of these people came out with idea at the start then great, no they sat back and waited. Usually useless people we have around.

Everything you said shows exactly why it was the governments fault.people cannot be trusted to do the right thing so the government must intervene. The government not only did not intervene but dragged their feet. As a result there has been hundreds in not a thousand more deaths.people should not have had the option to fly at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Harris so is a liar because a number of EU countries sealed their borders shut. Have a look if you don't believe me.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-european-borders-closed-in-response-to-covid-19-2020-4

smurgen wrote: »
    Harris so is a liar because a number of EU countries sealed their borders shut. Have a look if you don't believe me.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-european-borders-closed-in-response-to-covid-19-2020-4

Did that include air travel?
    I know we were allowing that and ferry travel too.
    But unless you came through NI of course you'd have no other way in here.

To be honest, I would take Harris word on this topic

Liar is a big statement to come up with given the article you link is dated April 4.
    Well after both the rugby weekend and Cheltenham?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Reading that won't make me believe you
    You are again talking nonsense and waving the liar word around like confetti

air and sea remained open
    We have only one land border and its impossible to close even if we wanted to

What was the government supposed to do?

Govern?

They messed up and it probably cost lies.

People will accept that mistakes happen..I think Irish people are reasonable, the Rugby match and Cheltenham can be put down to usual government incompetence and slowly forgotten.

But already we see FG heading down a familiar arrogant rabbithole over Nursing Homes.
    The knives are out here among the FG apologists already for anyone but guess who.
    Real people, loved as much as anyone else died there...did they die prematurely and needlessly? I think we will find out, they won't be forgotten as ordinary normal incompetence and dithering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,273 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Govern?

They messed up and it probably cost lies.

People will accept that mistakes happen..I think Irish people are reasonable, the Rugby match and Cheltenham can be put down to usual government incompetence and slowly forgotten.

But already we see FG heading down a familiar arrogant rabbithole over Nursing Homes.
    The knives are out here among the FG apologists already for anyone but guess who.
    Real people, loved as much as anyone else died there...did they die prematurely and needlessly? I think we will find out, they won't be forgotten as ordinary normal incompetence and dithering.

Of course they were real people loved as much as anyone else.

However your faux outrage and crocodile tears doesn’t mask the fact that instead of pulling together on the most serious issue the country has to deal with in a century you try to turn the event into a political football.

Now I know you will be on here as you have been for the last month pounding the pages with your rhetoric but people who understand the complexity of this event, the multi faceted problems it threw up, the huge logistical problems in acquiring supplies will appreciate the terrific effort made by all frontline personnel to keep things going on as many fronts as possible.

Ordinary decent people know that.sure, everything wasn’t perfect but displaying bile and disappointment because such a decent job was done kind of displays a certain mindset that I wouldn’t be too eager to mix with.

However your faux outrage and crocodile tears doesn’t mask the fact that instead of pulling together on the most serious issue the country has to deal with in a century you try to turn the event into a political football.

Now I know you will be on here as you have been for the last month pounding the pages with your rhetoric but people who understand the complexity of this event, the multi faceted problems it threw up, the huge logistical problems in acquiring supplies will appreciate the terrific effort made by all frontline personnel to keep things going on as many fronts as possible.

Ordinary decent people know that.sure, everything wasn’t perfect but displaying bile and disappointment because such a decent job was done kind of displays a certain mindset that I wouldn’t be too eager to mix with.

How will the people who thought FG could walk away from the crisis and leave it to others, feel Brendan?

It is already a political football (a meaningless term used when people don't like questions being asked, I find)...have you not been watching? Fergus O'Dowd bizarrely used a government Committee to prosecute witnesses on behalf of FG when the function of a Committee is to fact find without fear or favour.

'Ordinary decent people' died and there will be those across society who will want to find out, why.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Pull together you say? Like a national government of unity perhaps?

Ahem.

Varadkar open to unity government without SF

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

McMurphy wrote: »
    Pull together you say? Like a national government of unity perhaps?

Ahem.

Varadkar open to unity government without SF

The issue, Murph, is that FF, FG,Labour, Greens etc don't like SF because lads like Ted Howell are still pulling the strings in the background. Can't be having that in fairness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

The issue, Murph, is that FF, FG,Labour, Greens etc don't like SF because lads like Ted Howell are still pulling the strings in the background. Can't be having that in fairness.

Plenty of FF members want to talk to Sinn Fein, Martin was arguing about it in media as the FF ****show continues.

You thinnk FF, FG, Labout, Greens all like eachother.

What government is formed, wont last a year

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Plenty of FF members want to talk to Sinn Fein, Martin was arguing about it in media as the FF ****show continues.

You thinnk FF, FG, Labout, Greens all like eachother.

What government is formed, wont last a year

I am sure there are elements of the old Neil Blaney wing of Fianna Fail, who share the same disregard for peoples' lives common in Sinn Fein, who would be willing to talk to them. For the most, they share the disgust the rest of us feel for Sinn Fein.

'Disregard for people's lives' that will be a very current theme for the next while.

'Disregard for people's lives' that will be a very current theme for the next while.

They think this is all going to go away, like the cervical scandal etc... The people have woke up to it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

They think this is all going to go away, like the cervical scandal etc... The people have woke up to it all

Who's they?

• Advertisement

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Who's they?

Fine Gael and their supporters. This thread is about FG, why would i be talking about anyone else?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement