Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

smurgen wrote: »
    Ya caught out with the finnerbot mental gymnastics.sit this one out :)

I'd prefer actually if at some point you'd post something that you aren't misrepresenting or ignorant of
    Currently most of your last few arent thought out at all
    Misrepresentation needs thought
    So it must be ignorance

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

FG and there ilk cynically asked where the magic money tree was before this. Seems like they're using a magic money tree now.

What would you have them do?

What spending due to the crisis would you have cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

christy c wrote: »
    The poor lad thinks he has a degree (or masters?) in economics. Go easy on him.

Era feck it I'll bite.What part of economics do I not get? I still remember most of my masters. What specific part of economic theory am I getting wrong? And be as specific as possible.note I'll argue this for awhile so make sure you do your googling .til now I've been throwing out one liners to keep the Finnerbots ticking over.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I'd prefer actually if at some point you'd post something that you aren't misrepresenting or ignorant of
    Currently most of your last few arent thought out at all
    Misrepresentation needs thought
    So it must be ignorance

So you can't explain how FG's hands were tied by EU commission rules yet EU commission were asking them to spend more?

• Registered Users Posts: 67,121 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What would you have them do?

What spending due to the crisis would you have cut?

Photographers and their retinue are kinda un-necessary doncha think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Era feck it I'll bite.

Bite away. A few weeks ago you were waffling about the effective rate of tax. Did you ever manage to calculate what Google's was in 2018?

christy c wrote: »
    Bite away. A few weeks ago you were waffling about the effective rate of tax. Did you ever manage to calculate what Google's was in 2018?

Tell me. What specifically did I get wrong? Surely if you're as cock sure as you appear it should be easy to prove.i mean it's not as if you're just casting insults to deflect is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Tell me. What specifically did I get wrong? Surely if you're as cock sure as you appear it should be easy to prove.i mean it's not as if you're just casting insults to deflect is it?

You never gave a figure, what was Google's effective rate of tax in 2018?

When referencing companies paying more than 12.5% you said "Some companies?lol maybe small companies than can't afford tax efficient structures".

Please don't get on your high horse with insults either, with your frequent mention of Finnerbots.

So you can't explain how FG's hands were tied by EU commission rules yet EU commission were asking them to spend more?

They weren't
    They were suggesting a new spread of available money's
    At no time were they countenancing the kind of money being thrown at the coronavirus crisis on the topics covered
    The borrowing cap was only lifted at the end of march facilitating Covid 19
    It's not surprising you don't know the difference mind you,given the quality of your posts on most everything else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

I think Leo still has a eye on seat on the opposition side of the chamber, the one at the back near the radiator.

And that, this whole coronavirus epidemic thing has been interfering with well laid plans. But I must say, Leo has handled the situation and the spotlight, very very well.

It's just as well Enda is not still around, he was never a man for the spotlight,, or anything in fact.

• Advertisement

They weren't
    They were suggesting a new spread of available money's
    At no time were they countenancing the kind of money being thrown at the coronavirus crisis on the topics covered
    The borrowing cap was only lifted at the end of march facilitating Covid 19
    It's not surprising you don't know the difference mind you,given the quality of your posts on most everything else

Still trying to make up your mind on what I said.i'll check in tomorrow.

In the meantime here's Lieo with some anecdotes to keep us entertained.

https://twitter.com/caulmick/status/1245795488466640899?s=19

Oh ,I'd imagine you're well aware that what you post is garbage
    That's your function in these threads
    Its actually quite amusing in a Benny Hill sort of way,same style without the smut
    The plan is to clutter them up I suppose for the 4 or 5 people who read them
    It'd be better if the posts contained more obfuscation though rather than the rubbish
    But as I said earlier, that requires thinking

Oh ,I'd imagine you're well aware that what you post is garbage
    That's your function in these threads
    Its actually quite amusing in a Benny Hill sort of way,same style without the smut
    The plan is to clutter them up I suppose for the 4 or 5 people who read them
    It'd be better if the posts contained more obfuscation though rather than the rubbish
    But as I said earlier, that requires thinking

I've seen nothing of substance from yourself or other Finnerbots.I'm posting in line with the threat title and intial spirit of the thread. One of the usual names will take a pop every now and attack the poster not the post and the other usual names with thank that post in a pathetic bid to add legitimacy to that attack. This cynical piling on has no impact whatsoever on me so continue on. In the meantime I'll keep posting away. Feel free to mute :). If this upsets ya may I suggest you try in one of the anti SF echo chambers around here?

I've seen nothing of substance from yourself or other Finnerbots.I'm posting in line with the threat title and intial spirit of the thread. One of the usual names will take a pop every now and attack the poster not the post and the other usual names with thank that post in a pathetic bid to add legitimacy to that attack. This cynical piling on has no impact whatsoever on me so continue on. In the meantime I'll keep posting away. Feel free to mute :). If this upsets ya may I suggest you try in one of the anti SF echo chambers around here?

I actually attacked the post
    No thought into any of them...AT ALL :eek:
    If you want the benefit of the doubt,post something that would last more than 5 seconds on primetime or in front of Bryan Dobson for a change
    My criticism of what you post is none of it ever stacks up
    Posters here point that out every time
    It's easy
    Too easy to be a coincidence
    Hence It has to be thread clusterfesting which is an amusing effort on threads that have a maximum 4 or 5 readers
    I suggest gardening

I actually attacked the post
    No thought into any of them...AT ALL :eek:
    If you want the benefit of the doubt,post something that would last more than 5 seconds on primetime or in front of Bryan Dobson for a change
    My criticism of what you post is none of it ever stacks up
    Posters here point that out every time
    It's easy
    Too easy to be a coincidence
    Hence It has to be thread clusterfesting which is an amusing effort on threads that have a maximum 4 or 5 readers
    I suggest gardening

Okay so you're saying the government didn't spend on infrastructure the last few years because they were in your words " bound by a CBD restriction under the growth and stability pact" is this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

If they hadn't mismanaged the longest boom period in our history we wouldn't need further austerity. Right now our infrastructure is crumbling and our rainy day fund exhausted. Some government.

What nonsense is this?

EVERY country in the western world is going to have a huge bill to pay after this dies down. Blaming FG for the fact that a bill is due because of Covid-19 is among one of the most stupidest comments I have seen here for a while.

FG done nothing to help the economy.this is evident. It was a global economic boom. The evidence for this will be when we enter recession and the FG clowns tell us there's nothing we can do with unemployment because it's a global recession.total gaslighting crap.

I have to love this nonesense.

Ireland has had the fastest growing economy in the EU.
    I will repeat, Irelend had the FASTEST growing economy in the EU.

If it were all just a global economic boom, why are Ireland top of the class when it comes to things like growth and unemployment. Just pure luck I guess? Nothing to do with good policies drawing capital or investment, making it a good place to create jobs?

Look at Greece. SF poster boy. It had a 17% unemployment rate last year, a youth unemployment rate of over 35%!

SF fans trying to argue economics is like a one handed man trying to play the violin.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,267 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Era feck it I'll bite.What part of economics do I not get? I still remember most of my masters. What specific part of economic theory am I getting wrong? And be as specific as possible.note I'll argue this for awhile so make sure you do your googling .til now I've been throwing out one liners to keep the Finnerbots ticking over.

That is the problem, you are relying on book learning from an economics masters.

Economics theory usually only survives about five minutes in the real world, hence that is why you get so much wrong. By the time you adapt economics to reality, it is more like a combination of psychology, sociology, behavioural science and business management than any recognisable economics that you pick up in college.

markodaly wrote: »

If it were all just a global economic boom, why are Ireland top of the class when it comes to things like growth and unemployment. Just pure luck I guess? Nothing to do with good policies drawing capital or investment, making it a good place to create jobs?

Look at Greece. SF poster boy. It had a 17% unemployment rate last year, a youth unemployment rate of over 35%!

SF fans trying to argue economics is like a one handed man trying to play the violin.

Let's all look the other way and not mention FF spectacularly collapsing our economy while FG were sitting in opposition calling for more of the same!

And before you deflect, yes SF didn't cover themselves in glory either during that collapse but holding FG and FF up as paragons of fiscal wisdom is ridiculous, they are as fallible as anyone else.

Let's all look the other way and not mention FF spectacularly collapsing our economy while FG were sitting in opposition calling for more of the same!

And before you deflect, yes SF didn't cover themselves in glory either during that collapse but holding FG and FF up as paragons of fiscal wisdom is ridiculous, they are as fallible as anyone else.

Oh here we go.
    The bore has come out of the daily hibernation.

But lets take it this way, you blame FF for the crash, but I guess the good economic news since 2011 has been 'luck' and nothing to do with the government at the helm?

You cannot have it both ways, either governments in power are be blamed for their bad mistakes and praised for good outcomes or not.

• Advertisement

Oh here we go.
    The bore has come out of the daily hibernation.

But lets take it this way, you blame FF for the crash, but I guess the good economic news since 2011 has been 'luck' and nothing to do with the government at the helm?

You cannot have it both ways, either governments in power are be blamed for their bad mistakes and praised for good outcomes or not.

There have been some good policy..some bad policy and some downright appalling policy. And there has been luck too.

FG dropped to 20% of the vote for a reason mark and they rehabilitated the party that sunk the country in the process.

If you don't want to confront the realities of why that happened that's your problem.

Okay so you're saying the government didn't spend on infrastructure the last few years because they were in your words " bound by a CBD restriction under the growth and stability pact" is this right?

No

There have been some good policy..some bad policy and some downright appalling policy. And there has been luck too.

FG dropped to 20% of the vote for a reason mark and they rehabilitated the party that sunk the country in the process.

If you don't want to confront the realities of why that happened that's your problem.

So, we are back to the inane hurler on the ditch mode.
    Good to know.

I swear, at this stage, you just copy and paste your responses from one big word doco. I don't think you have said anything original for about 3 months now.

Good to know.

I swear, at this stage, you just copy and paste your responses from one big word doco. I don't think you have said anything original for about 3 months now.

Double down and deflect, with some disparaging content.

Yawn Mark, yawn.

When you figure out and confront why you are down to 20% of the vote, get back to us. You might find that 'confrontation' tallies with what we are saying.

When you figure out and confront why you are down to 20% of the vote, get back to us. You might find that 'confrontation' tallies with what we are saying.

:rolleyes:

Again, you totally ignore my post. Another copy and paste job.

:rolleyes:

Again, you totally ignore my post. .

I didn't ignore it...honest.

Here is what I said in the first part of my post:

Double down and deflect, with some disparaging content.

Here is the reponse to what you said which is in italics

Good to know.
    = Double down.

I swear, at this stage, you just copy and paste your responses from one big word doco.
    = Deflection

I don't think you have said anything original for about 3 months now. = Disparagement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Keep using the word balderdash,it might start making sense if you use it another 2/3 times maybe.
    Meanwhile caretaker government spending away with minimal supervision and treating the press using Trumpesque tactics.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1245851088898740224?s=19

He’s the minister for finance. He needs to work with facts and figures. There’s no point in a reporter asking how which will be spent on this or that, or how much less will be taken in a particular type of tax if Donohoe hasn’t been prepped. There’s no way he’ll have figures in his head like that. If he gets the questions he can have someone look them up and give in accurate answer.

That same day, Varadkar took open questions from the floor and it was clear that he hadn’t sight of them. One was on the signing of the new emergency legislation, he said he thought it was signed but he’d have to check offline. That’s the difference in his role, he’s expected to answer questions on the overall strategy of the government, not necessarily the specifics.

That was Bowie’s, or Matt Barrett's favourite line on these threads, that FG made FF electable and that was somehow damning on FG. In fact FF’s vote didn’t really grow at all in the latest election. They bounced back a bit in 2016 from their wipeout in 2011 but have stagnated since. The biggest gains by far were by SF, so if anything FG’s performance boosted SF. I’d have thought you’d be happy with that. Why you’re saying FG’s losses are a benefit to FF is strange. The numbers don’t support that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

you cant credit any of them for our geographical position or that we are english speaking and brexit. The low corportate tax helps. An insane rate of marginal tax, a lot of red tape, rip off insurance, the 23% rate of vat is a joke! Ripp off accomodation and child care, crap transport. I wouldnt credit FG with too much, we could have a far better economy than we do. If your argument is FG are the best of the current lot for economy, fair enough! But it could be a lot better.

• Advertisement

If you don’t believe that’s happening out there then you’re naive in the extreme. Why Varadkar would say it and make himself look bad though I have no idea. It wasn’t his smartest move.

If people were working for 300 euro a week and knew they’d get 350 if temporarily laid off then of course they’d prefer the second option, even if it was the wrong thing to do. The government had no choice but to make the payment a flat rate that wasn’t means tested or else the system would collapse. It also makes it rife for abuse though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement