Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT discontinue lift inspections (now with places with working lifts)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

vicwatson wrote: »
    Proper procedure will not include compensating people for there time or their two extra trips to the centre and the costs involved, you can be sure of that

Better off just not going until its sorted. Govt cant provide a testing service. So cant insist on people driving with valid certs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Why can they just not follow the exemption that was given in NIRL for the very same issue, another state of the EU can do it, why can't we?

They will. But NCT just trying to get a few more quid into the coffers until they are forced to close the doors until problem rectified and that can actually test cars again. It would be like buying a cinema ticket where you there is a soundtrack but nothing on the screen, but they say you can come back and see the picture without the sound another day - but you dont have to pay the second time! Yay. Its a nonsense. They will be told what to do.

Surely the service provider has to be fined for this. If it's not their fault let them chase the providers of the lifts for costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'm not convinced that giving out a lot of "2nd division" NCT's is a good idea.
    These NCT's would be devalued and make prospective purchasers wary of the cars.

Maybe they could just allow a dispensation to all until the backlog is cleared.
    A voucher for a discount off your next test for those having to go twice would be a goodwill gesture but probably too much to hope for.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

At least we won't have another day of anorexia stories on Liveline.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I'm sure Leo will sort it, current budget is 1.5 childrens hospitals, although that's not guaranteed, could rise to 3.

This is pure nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Steve wrote: »
    I'm sure Leo will sort it, current budget is 1.5 childrens hospitals, although that's not guaranteed, could rise to 3.

This is pure nuts.

Was that nut from the broken ramp:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

greasepalm wrote: »
    Was that nut from the broken ramp:D

genuine lol... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Wonder what the designed working life of these lifts are?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

In fairness they had to make a call and further information about fails/Garda etc will follow.

There is no need to panic yet, the thing happened just today so don't expect everything being arranged for your convenience in a day or two.

It is major inconvenience, but it is outside of control of nct centre at this early stage.

They didn't buy these lifts from Ali express and the manufacturer and distributors will have to come up with a plan, too.

I am against exemption or letting cars pass the test without looking underneath.

3 months extension sounds more likely. You don't want all the scrap coming through the test undetected now from customer perspective ;)

Just imagine all those recently failed cars getting a cert. Shady dealers dream come true scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Totally understandable decision and I would expect any employer to do the same. Safety and well-being of employees is paramount.

That said I’m thankful I booked my retest for last week as it was a balljoint so had to go up on the ramp. I nearly left it till this week.

Would be a serious pain in the ass to go back a third time when you just want it over and done.

Wonder will they issue the new certs from the retest date or the original due date. Assume it’ll keep the original dates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

Any word on the DOE? Is it affected?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Any word on the DOE? Is it affected?

If memory serves me ... they don't have lifts in the DOE centers. They have pits. Soo probably not affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭honda boi

Been without a car for 2 weeks now.
    Went to look at a car on Monday. Trader said he's going to nct for it.
    Nct on that car was up at the end of October.
    Now looks like that car won't be tested for months.
    I'd hardly get away with the car having no nct since October if I get stopped in it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭baldbear

My NCT is booked for next Tuesday. Its a 2004 Corolla. It could fail on the first part of the NCT next week and then the second part when the lift issue is fixed. So I would be better off just rescheduling?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,135 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I heard a guy from the NCT on morning Ireland talking about the motorist having to provide proof that he has had his car inspected by a mechanic before submitting it for an NCT, what's that all about?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Why can they just not follow the exemption that was given in NIRL for the very same issue, another state of the EU can do it, why can't we?

Try that sentence again in 48 hours....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭degsie

NCT due tomorrow, should I ask for a reschedule in June/July when lifts are replaced? Not getting a cert anyway, so what's the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

I heard a guy from the NCT on morning Ireland talking about the motorist having to provide proof that he has had his car inspected by a mechanic before submitting it for an NCT, what's that all about?:(

Wasn't asked for anything like that last evening. Maybe it's to do with point 5 on the prep list https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/Your-Vehicle-/Preparing-for-your-NCT-/?
    The engine is in a fit state to be tested e.g.Cam belt/Timing belt. You may be asked to sign a disclaimer at the test centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

Anyone aware if lift is required to test lights, had my test the other day and it failed just on dipped headlights being off. I have them fixed now and due for retest for next Tuesday but no point in taking it in if they can't check the lights as that was the only issue.
    Does anyone know if on retest they just check the problem area? Can anyone clarify?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Didn't hear it, don't know the context. Youd have to give us more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

coffeyt wrote:
    Anyone aware if lift is required to test lights, had my test the other day and it failed just on dipped headlights being off. I have them fixed now and due for retest for next Tuesday but no point in taking it in if they can't check the lights as that was the only issue. Does anyone know if on retest they just check the problem area? Can anyone clarify?

Surely that's just a visual, and not a full retest?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭robbKer

Does anyone know if the CVRT test (the commercial version of the NCT) is affected? I have a light goods van that need re-testing....

beauf wrote: »
    Didn't hear it, don't know the context. Youd have to give us more information.

The NCT guy said that if you are stopped by the guards you have to be able to produce the partial report that the NCT are now issuing + a report -presumably from an authorised mechanic( which I presume to be a main dealer rip off merchant) showing that the car was inspected before going to the NCT. I don't like the sound of this..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭degsie

Anybody contact Joe Duffy yet? It's an absolute disgrace!

Just heard him, a Scottish guy, again there on the news. You have to be able to provide proof that your car was inspected before going for NCT, ?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

The NCT guy said that if you are stopped by the guards you have to be able to produce the partial report that the NCT are now issuing + a report -presumably from an authorised mechanic( which I presume to be a main dealer rip off merchant) showing that the car was inspected before going to the NCT. I don't like the sound of this..

I wouldn’t imagine that many mechanics (authorised, main dealer etc) would be too keen on that as I’m sure that legal liability would have to be assumed with certification

https://www.rsa.ie/en/Utility/News/2020/Statement-Issued-By-National-Car-Test-Service-NCT/
    8. What will happen if people are stopped by the Gardai and they don’t have a valid NCT displayed because of this issue?

The RSA have made the Gardaí aware of the issue and is liaising with them on any potential issues arising. All vehicle owners are reminded that the roadworthiness of their vehicle is their responsibility at all times not just at the NCT.

Is this part what the guy would mean by having a document saying undercarriage has been inspected by someone else?

I’m not mechanically minded at all but does the NCT inspection check things that a vehicle owner would never see?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭elperello

This is turning into a bit a farce.

In addition he said you should have the certificate for your previous test from 1 or 2 years ago.

Statements of clarification needed from AGS and RSA without delay.

Advertisement