Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT discontinue lift inspections (now with places with working lifts)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Only took 4 months, but finally passed today.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭mk7r

Can anyone confirm if their partial retest was only a partial? I'm hearing they are actually doing full tests for everyone but it may be inconsistent/change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Didn't see any one getting a partial test.

Seemed like they were limiting the numbers coming in..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,511 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

The waiting list is about a month long so dont be shy in picking up a date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

beauf wrote: »

Seemed like they were limiting the numbers coming in..

Was just coming on to ask this, haven’t been driving my car much as used my husbands car all during lockdown. My car is due the lift test and I noticed the back wiper looks slightly broken. Due the test on Friday and will be awkward to get the wiper by then. If it’s full tests I’d better just sort it, last thing I want to fail on is a wiper!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Its hard to believe that such a seemingly simple task of car testing can be managed and run with so much incompetence. Their communication department really needs an overhaul

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dkd21

sillysocks wrote: »
    Was just coming on to ask this, haven’t been driving my car much as used my husbands car all during lockdown. My car is due the lift test and I noticed the back wiper looks slightly broken. Due the test on Friday and will be awkward to get the wiper by then. If it’s full tests I’d better just sort it, last thing I want to fail on is a wiper!

The back wiper is not part of the test , so no need to worry about it for do but do of course get it fixed in your own time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

mk7r wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if their partial retest was only a partial? I'm hearing they are actually doing full tests for everyone but it may be inconsistent/change?
    Will let you know later. I am in Deansgrange at 2pm

Currently standing in deans Grange for a lift test. Reception said it was a full test as it was to long since last one. But when he realised it was only a lift test, he said grand. Only lift test it is. Estimated time 15 minutes. Its granny's car and has done 270 km since last test (without lift.)

Appointment 2.10pm. Arrived at 1.20. Out the door, cert in hand 1.40

Good stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

dkd21 wrote: »
    The back wiper is not part of the test , so no need to worry about it for do but do of course get it fixed in your own time
    What about cabin lights mine keep blowing fuses

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dkd21

kerryjack wrote: »
    What about cabin lights mine keep blowing fuses

Cabin lights aren't tested either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

greasepalm wrote: »
    I believe all hell is breaking loose very busy with the back log and full tests done and one poor punter for a visual fail last time got a full test and now failed on something else.
    Sounds unlikely as I just booked an NCT for next week no hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I've the lift test on Friday.
    Can anyone tell if the boot and interior still have to be emptied and the wheel trims have to be off?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭selectamatic

sligojoek wrote: »
    I've the lift test on Friday.
    Can anyone tell if the boot and interior still have to be emptied and the wheel trims have to be off?

Ya they'll need to be as good as empty and hub caps off.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭mk7r

Currently standing in deans Grange for a lift test. Reception said it was a full test as it was to long since last one. But when he realised it was only a lift test, he said grand. Only lift test it is. Estimated time 15 minutes. Its granny's car and has done 270 km since last test (without lift.)

I wonder is there some lack of communication as some seem to have underwent full tests again due to the time since the first part and some not, bit of a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Be prepared for a full test to be on the safe side then no surprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Anyone know if the NCT have the lift situation sorted? I’m due a test in 2 weeks and have one booked but I’d rather move it to another centre if I have to do 2 tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭User1998

Where are you based? I’ve had 3 lift inspections done in Northpoint 2. Deansgrange and Fonthill supposedly fixed too. They have a full list somewhere of all the centres with working lifts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

User1998 wrote: »
    Where are you based? I’ve had 3 lift inspections done in Northpoint 2. Deansgrange and Fonthill supposedly fixed too. They have a full list somewhere of all the centres with working lifts

Booked for Cahir in Tipperary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

Did the lift inspection in Drogheda earlier, only 1000km on the car since its February test so did the lift portion only. There's only one lift functional there by the looks of things.

Cert was issued with a pass advisory, advisory was 'elements of this NCT test were completed on different dates'.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I wonder will the old "Partial certs" be worth a few quid as collectors items in 50 yrs time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Did the lift inspection in Drogheda earlier, only 1000km on the car since its February test so did the lift portion only. There's only one lift functional there by the looks of things.

Cert was issued with a pass advisory, advisory was 'elements of this NCT test were completed on different dates'.

Probably a workaround to issue full cert as their software was not ready for this obviously.

Or a form a "disclaimer" that they didn't test certain things at the time of issuing the cert.

Wouldn't worry me at all. Pass is a pass anyway.

Yeah, I'm sure it's a systems/disclaimer thing. As you say, a pass is a pass :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭greasepalm

sligojoek wrote: »
    I wonder will the old "Partial certs" be worth a few quid as collectors items in 50 yrs time.

Let us know then and we can have a bidding war over it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

mk7r wrote: »
    I wonder is there some lack of communication as some seem to have underwent full tests again due to the time since the first part and some not, bit of a mess.

I was driving to the NCT center for a test on the evening of Jan 29th, the evening when they stopped the lifts. I got my "half nct" a few hours after the lifts stopped, and had my lift test done last night. I was the last car of the evening (11pm). There were 2 cars in front of me, I was talking to the owners, they were in for just the lift test too. From what I could hear, none of the cars got a full retest, as the horn wasn't checked, and no engine was revved up.
    beauf wrote: »

Bear in mind, you will only get the lift test done, if your car has passed the non lift parts of the test previously. So if the car failed on emissions, or misaligned lights, then that part of the test would have to be redone. This is probably why people are thinking that every car is getting a full retest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Its hard to believe that such a seemingly simple task of car testing can be managed and run with so much incompetence. Their communication department really needs an overhaul

That's Ireland for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    My NCT booking was on the 28mar20 @16:10. This was the day all NCTs were cancelled going forward however when I go on the site I'm expected to Rebook and provide payment details again. Shouldn't I just get a new booking date from them ?

Anyone?

No, you'll need to rebook online. Payment details will depend on whether the car had completed an incomplete test / had no NCT / failed part of a partial test etc.

I didn't have to provide payment details as our car had passed the rest of the incomplete test and just needed the lift inspection, but I did have to book the test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Anyone?

Amount due will come up as 0.00

Advertisement