Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT discontinue lift inspections (now with places with working lifts)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Beagslife

Testing is starting again from next week.

I just booked Letterkenny for the 19th June.

NCT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Beagslife wrote: »
    Testing is starting again from next week.

I just booked Letterkenny for the 19th June.

NCT

My NCT has been extended by 4 months does it mean if i test now it will fall under voluntary test and i will get one year from date of test ?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭jimbooth

Mine are going on Monday and Tuesday, one for full test, the other for lift inspection. Says full test will be done but no charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I’m also booked in for the second half of the test next week. When I was picking a time (and there were plenty available) they were going up to 10pm so long hours which might help the backlog (not sure what their times were before now).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

My NCT has been extended by 4 months does it mean if i test now it will fall under voluntary test and i will get one year from date of test ?

You dont need to go for one now. The announcement that they made was for cars due a test before 28th March, yours in extended.

"In the short term the roadworthiness testing of vehicles will be on a limited basis and restricted only to those vehicles that had a test due date prior to 28 March 2020 (before the 4-month extension to vehicle certificates of roadworthiness came into effect)."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

I'm booked in for the half retest for free on Friday, happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

We have a car that was due before March 28th, got an incomplete test cert on early February and was booked in for completion before lockdown.

I booked it back in for Tuesday and it's down as a full re-test, with no charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Free re-test on one of my own, trying to book the same test center and the earliest date they have 7th July.

I can't book them as it says
    "Vehicle to be retested on or before Monday, July 6, 2020"

Argh! The nearest open one is MILES away.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,412 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Hopefully they had lifts shipped over and are ready to be fitted in the centres still waiting.

Somehow I doubt that happened and they will have to be fitted by company supplying them, Then I guess the guys fitting them will have to go into quarantine for 14 days before they are free to start working on fitting the lifts slowly one centre at a time.

The centre I booked with for next Tuesday's test wasn't available for booking for a full test prior to lockdown, so I think they have got at least some lift replacements done in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Free re-test on one of my own, trying to book the same test center and the earliest date they have 7th July.

I can't book them as it says
    "Vehicle to be retested on or before Monday, July 6, 2020"

Argh! The nearest open one is MILES away.

Its a car, what do you call MILES away? You are not getting a bus.

Are you talking about Greenhills? I got the exact same but Deansgrange was available for this Tuesday so took that. It is only 15 mins away.

The car only needs the lift part done, but while there is no fee, I am unsure if they want to do the whole thing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭mk7r

I'm booked in for the half retest for free on Friday, happy days

There are no half retests being done, every car gets a full test again but with no charge for the ones that did a half rest already.

mk7r wrote: »
    There are no half retests being done, every car gets a full test again but with no charge for the ones that did a half rest already.

This FAQ link seems to say different.

See number 33.
    If car has over 5000km since test, it will need brake test.

https://www.ncts.ie/media/1038/faqs-resumption-of-nct-service.pdf

That implies less than 5000km, just a lift test.

See number 33.

(That link is at the bottom of the homepage https://www.ncts.ie/ )

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭mk7r

This FAQ link seems to say different.

See number 33.

https://www.ncts.ie/media/1038/faqs-resumption-of-nct-service.pdf

That implies less than 5000km, just a lift test.

See number 33.

(That link is at the bottom of the homepage https://www.ncts.ie/ )

Perhaps they made a last minute change to try and help speed things up which would be nice. We got notified in work that if 28 days had passed (clearly they had) full retests all around. Interest to see the reality of what will happen on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Its a car, what do you call MILES away? You are not getting a bus.

An hour away, so 2hours plus the test time.
    I'm busy enough during the week, time is money as they say. First world problems you might think, but a big inconvenience for me. The center I wanted to is 15mins away

I was also quoted July 7th but test needed by July 6th.

I was for Greenhills Tallaght, but was offered Deansgrange next week. Nice handy run. Can you get similar maybe?

Interest to see the reality of what will happen on Monday

Ours has less than 1000km since February, I'll keep you posted :)

Ours has less than 1000km since February, I'll keep you posted :)

I win :)

The car I will take is the mother in laws. She is cocooning and if it has 200km on it I will be shocked LOL

It drove at 50mph one day with me driving !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

My NCT is due 19/09/20, got the 4 month reprieve. If I put it through the end of this month I assume it'll be dated til 09/21?
    That's if it passes, anyone know?

I remember reading on the paperwork they gave me when I did the half test in early March that they would contact me to come back when they could put the car on the lift. That's obviously out the window. Got a booking in 2 weeks anyway, and no card details taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

As others alluded to already I think it's just the half test. I don't mind either way to be honest, but I think with the state of the country, the NCT testing system itself I would hope in the interests of efficiency it's just half tests where applicable. In logical terms, if we delay other cars tests by doing full tests instead of completing partials, we might actually have no overall gain in NCT validity for that effort.

As others alluded to already I think it's just the half test. I don't mind either way to be honest, but I think with the state of the country, the NCT testing system itself I would hope in the interests of efficiency it's just half tests where applicable. In logical terms, if we delay other cars tests by doing full tests instead of completing partials, we might actually have no overall gain in NCT validity for that effort.

I agree. Hopefully they will use a bit of common sense. I think the situation is fluid and they are evolving policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭shanec1928

So what happens for counties who’s nct centre is still out of action and the nearest centre is in a different county?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,419 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

shanec1928 wrote: »
    So what happens for counties who’s nct centre is still out of action and the nearest centre is in a different county?

I don't think the county \ 20 km limit restriction would apply to 'essential' appointment like this. It's more for exercise \ visiting people.

But dunno if the centres in adjoining counties would have capacity.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

My NCT booking was on the 28mar20 @16:10. This was the day all NCTs were cancelled going forward however when I go on the site I'm expected to Rebook and provide payment details again. Shouldn't I just get a new booking date from them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

My NCT is due 19/09/20, got the 4 month reprieve. If I put it through the end of this month I assume it'll be dated til 09/21?
    That's if it passes, anyone know?

From the FAQ (https://www.ncts.ie/1112) looks like you will get 09/21.
    "Vehicles tested on-time (i.e. within 90 days of the test due date or its tenth anniversary test) or late remain unaffected by this change. and a certificate for the duration of 1 year will be issued from the current NCT expiry date"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,511 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Picked up a car from a dealer. NCT expired back in November. Presumed I'd be hanging on to the other car until I can get it into the nct.

But the dealer tells me because it's newly bought without an NCT it gets the reprieve from date of purchase. Cant be right?

No, the dealer is talking plop. You get that kind of exemption for car tax but not for NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭John.G

Is Blarney now doing under body inspections with the lifts back in operation?., can't get through to their information center.

Just got through....they confirm that the full test is available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I believe all hell is breaking loose very busy with the back log and full tests done and one poor punter for a visual fail last time got a full test and now failed on something else.

Advertisement